ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,915

Re: Official Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread 

Post#81 » by cgf » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:51 pm

robillionaire wrote:
cgf wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
7 or 8 years from now in free agency if he doesn't sign another extension

guys you can't get other team's good rookies, they have a 4 year rookie contract and a max extension that nobody has ever turned down, unless it's like KP and they demand a trade after 3 years and that isn't very common either, that's something that exclusively happens to the knicks, so it's nothing we could ever benefit from

giannis was drafted in 2013 and he still hasn't hit free agency, 2021 would have been the first opportunity and now it's 2026

we have to draft our own good players it's that simple

I dunno about that in this case. Cole looks good so far, but if Fultz can keep building on the progress he made last season; I'd expect the Magic to prefer him moving forward...in which case Anthony could well find himself as tradebait next offseason. Ditto Garland in Cleveland if Sexton picks up where he left off last season & puts up a whole year of 20+ pts on 59% TS...even if he doesn't show much progress at running a team.

Most of the time you are 100% right, but there are certain circumstances where intriguing rookie-scale kids do become available...especially if they are limited to 1 position...and we should have the trade capital to tempt one of those teams into selling off their surplus young PG next summer if the lotto gods don't hook us up.

yeah, note that I said "good rookies" as in, if they look good the team won't move them. But there are opportunities, like how Ingram hadn't broken out yet and got traded because the lakers wanted to make room for lebron. same with deangelo russell. lonzo. you'd have to target a guy that's been around for a couple years but hasn't broken out yet, and their team is trying to clear space and take a gamble on it

Which is fair, I was just jumping off your post because I think that Cole is actually pretty likely to end being one of those available good-rookies next summer...as long as Fultz builds on his progress & doesn't go back to s***...though I suspect the most likely result won't be a Cole for futures trade but a Gordon+Cole for lower-level star trade, I won't be surprised if they move Cole for more ammo first and then wait for the right opportunity to use that ammo + Gordon.

FWIW I'm not actually as high on Cole as it seems some of you are; at least not for our core. He's certainly crafty, so can create danger with his penetration, but I'm not in love with his shot or playmaking at this stage..at least not yet...and those are the parts of the game that I'd like to be our long term PG's biggest strengths. Obviously penetration is important too or you won't be able to create anything...but with our kids, I'd rather have a PG whose offensive game & playmaking is built out from their shooting-gravity, rather than their slashing.

...put another way; (for our core) I'd prefer Trae over Ja and I see Cole as a lot more of a Ja-lite than a Trae-lite at this point in his development.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,407

Post#82 » by robillionaire » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:17 pm

cgf wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
cgf wrote:
I dunno about that in this case. Cole looks good so far, but if Fultz can keep building on the progress he made last season; I'd expect the Magic to prefer him moving forward...in which case Anthony could well find himself as tradebait next offseason. Ditto Garland in Cleveland if Sexton picks up where he left off last season & puts up a whole year of 20+ pts on 59% TS...even if he doesn't show much progress at running a team.

Most of the time you are 100% right, but there are certain circumstances where intriguing rookie-scale kids do become available...especially if they are limited to 1 position...and we should have the trade capital to tempt one of those teams into selling off their surplus young PG next summer if the lotto gods don't hook us up.

yeah, note that I said "good rookies" as in, if they look good the team won't move them. But there are opportunities, like how Ingram hadn't broken out yet and got traded because the lakers wanted to make room for lebron. same with deangelo russell. lonzo. you'd have to target a guy that's been around for a couple years but hasn't broken out yet, and their team is trying to clear space and take a gamble on it

Which is fair, I was just jumping off your post because I think that Cole is actually pretty likely to end being one of those available good-rookies next summer...as long as Fultz builds on his progress & doesn't go back to s***...though I suspect the most likely result won't be a Cole for futures trade but a Gordon+Cole for lower-level star trade, I won't be surprised if they move Cole for more ammo first and then wait for the right opportunity to use that ammo + Gordon.

FWIW I'm not actually as high on Cole as it seems some of you are; at least not for our core. He's certainly crafty, so can create danger with his penetration, but I'm not in love with his shot or playmaking at this stage..at least not yet...and those are the parts of the game that I'd like to be our long term PG's biggest strengths. Obviously penetration is important too or you won't be able to create anything...but with our kids, I'd rather have a PG whose offensive game & playmaking is built out from their shooting-gravity, rather than their slashing.

...put another way; (for our core) I'd prefer Trae over Ja and I see Cole as a lot more of a Ja-lite than a Trae-lite at this point in his development.

yeah I agree, let's see how rookie quickley pans out before we get caught up in the pipe dreams about luring other team's promising rookies away
cgf
RealGM

Post#83 » by cgf » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:32 pm

robillionaire wrote:
cgf wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

yeah I agree, let's see how rookie quickley pans out before we get caught up in the pipe dreams about luring other team's promising rookies away

Yeah this team has way too much uncertainty for us to be getting too enamored with any specific potential-solution.

At this point we could have the next Knicks title winning starting lineup already developing on the roster or we could be heading into the lottery with RJ being the only kid we still care about :lol:

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#84 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:20 am

cgf wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
cgf wrote:

Yeah this team has [url]way too much uncertainty[/url]for us to be getting too enamored with any specific potential-solution.

At this point we could have the next Knicks title winning starting lineup already developing on the roster or we could be heading into the lottery with RJ being the only kid we still care about :lol:

We are still lacking a go to scorer. That much is certain. I'd love to get Colle Anthony. We should be kicking ourselves as he was obviously the one and he's always clearly been talented enough.
TBri1974
Pro Prospect
And1: 385

Post#85 » by TBri1974 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:10 am

Cole Anthony would be nice here - but I am happy with Quickly for the moment and think Obi will be very good. I am disappointed we won't be starting Knox with RJ - I think Knox played his way into a starting spot - but let's see what happens. It is not inconceivable that 10 games in we have a startling lineup of Quickly/RJ/Knox/Obi/Mitch and we like it.
cgf
RealGM

Post#86 » by cgf » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:39 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
cgf wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

Yeah this team has [url]way too much uncertainty[/url]for us to be getting too enamored with any specific potential-solution.

We are still lacking a go to scorer. That much is certain. I'd love to get Colle Anthony. We should be kicking ourselves as he was obviously the one and he's always clearly been talented enough.

Probably, but even that much isn't guaranteed. For all we know when they're done developing RJ will be Jimmy Butler with a 3ball, IQ willbe CJ with a defensive game, and Obi will be a young-Blake with those old-Blake skills :dontknow:

spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#87 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:58 pm

cgf wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
cgf wrote:

Probably, but even that much isn't guaranteed. For all we know when they're done developing RJ will be Jimmy Butler with a 3ball, IQ willbe CJ with a defensive game, and Obi will be a young-Blake with those old-Blake skills :dontknow:

I think I spot the sarcasm there, but I really don't think that's synonymous to the Cole Anthony outlook. He will become a prolific scorer and even if he only reaches a Lou Williams type of output, he should be our guy.

RJ = nothing like Butler at all, but E. Turner/T. Evans
IQ = not CJ, but Kirk Hinrich
Obi = not Blake, not Stat, not McDyess, but Joe Smith
Cole = Eric Gordon/Monta Ellis

... and that's an awesome outlook imo.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#88 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:06 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
cgf wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:We are still lacking a go to scorer. That much is certain. I'd love to get Colle Anthony. We should be kicking ourselves as he was obviously the one and he's always clearly been talented enough.

I think I spot the sarcasm there, but I really don't think that's synonymous to the Cole Anthony outlook. He will become a prolific scorer and even if he only reaches a Lou Williams type of output, he should be our guy.

Glad to see someone pick up the ball on my RJ Tyreke Evans Turner thing. :D
cgf
RealGM

Post#89 » by cgf » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:49 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
cgf wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:We are still lacking a go to scorer. That much is certain. I'd love to get Colle Anthony. We should be kicking ourselves as he was obviously the one and he's always clearly been talented enough.

No sarcasm intend. I don't think it's likely that we're sitting on a title caliber big 3...just like I don't expect RJ to be the only one of our kids who has an NBA career after their rookie deals...but the likelihood of either extreme wasn't my point. I was just talking about how much is still unclear with our youth and that we need more clarity with our kids before we'll know what this team needs (other than the generic "a superstar" answer).

Which is why saying what our kids are or aren't going to become using absolutes is silly. Nobody knows what they will or won't become right now. You can guess & your guess might even end up right, but making plans based on guesses is dumb when you can show a little patience & gain that needed clarity instead.

TBri1974
Pro Prospect
And1: 385

Post#90 » by TBri1974 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:43 pm

Randle gets paid 20 million a year and yet looks miserable in every interview, answering questions with single syllable answers. I can't with this guy, he seems like he'd be toxic in the locker room.
YungKnicks
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#91 » by YungKnicks » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:07 am

Guy I wanted Knicks to sign for cheap Josh Jackson.. had a good game. Instead they sign no upside players .. like Austin Rivers...smh
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,287

Post#92 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:12 pm

I'm hoping we make a run at Lonzo in the summer, he'd be a good pickup no matter what we do in the draft.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#93 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:46 pm

YungKnicks wrote:Guy I wanted Knicks to sign for cheap Josh Jackson.. had a good game. Instead they sign no upside players .. like Austin Rivers...smh

I look at Rivers like I look at Burks. Solid all around guards. Do a little bit of everything. Burks more a 2/3 with some 1 skills, Rivers like a 2/1 combo guard.

My guess is that the Knicks are banking more on RJ/Quickley to be in their future guard/wing rotation and not Frank/DSJr.
And they wanted some solid guards who could play both on/off the ball with both of them
Plus the cap considerations etc.

For their price and ability, or the ration between them, and how the fit in with RJ and Quickley, I don't mind either pick up.

This is without going down the road of FVV or BogBog or even Heild etc, or what if they did this or that with the draft. Just that I think those were decent pick ups.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#94 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:47 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:I'm hoping we make a run at Lonzo in the summer, he'd be a good pickup no matter what we do in the draft.

In Quickley/Lonzo PG rotation or as part of the guard rotation with Quickley if the Knicks draft a point?
cgf
RealGM

Post#95 » by cgf » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:55 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:I'm hoping we make a run at Lonzo in the summer, he'd be a good pickup no matter what we do in the draft.

Lonzo & Garland are both looking like they could be nice options for us if we don't get Cade/Suggs.

cgf
RealGM

Post#96 » by cgf » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:55 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

In Quickley/Lonzo PG rotation or as part of the guard rotation with Quickley if the Knicks draft a point?

Nice thing with Lonzo would be that he could platoon with Quick or play next to him.

iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,325

Post#97 » by iLLmatic860 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:57 pm

TBri1974 wrote:Randle gets paid 20 million a year and yet looks miserable in every interview, answering questions with single syllable answers. I can't with this guy, he seems like he'd be toxic in the locker room.

I think the Ny media pissed him off lol
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#98 » by DowNY » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:08 pm

YungKnicks wrote:Guy I wanted Knicks to sign for cheap Josh Jackson.. had a good game. Instead they sign no upside players .. like Austin Rivers...smh

We have a team full of drafts busts already
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#99 » by DowNY » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:08 pm

cgf wrote:

Lonzo & Garland are both looking like they could be nice options for us if we don't get Cade/Suggs.

I 100% prefer Lonzo to old dudes like Lowry or Conley
cgf
RealGM

Post#100 » by cgf » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:15 pm

DowNY wrote:
cgf wrote:

I 100% prefer Lonzo to old dudes like Lowry or Conley

I tend to agree, but that does depend on how IQ does this season. A scenario where IQ shows enough to look like a legit starting PG in the making, but also shows that he's not yet ready to handle that role at this level...in which case we could want to partner him with a vet that he can learn from & also play alongside...isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

But yeah, if you asked me to right now who I'd want in the offseason if no Cade/Suggs, Lonzo (& Garland) is (are) atop that list.

Return to New York Knicks