ImageImageImageImageImage

Is RJ Barrett a beast?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Is RJ Barrett a bust?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 347

BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1121 » by BugginOut » Tue May 11, 2021 3:27 pm

RJ already as a good layup package already. When he learns how to draw fouls consistently is when he will take his game to the next level.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,518

Post#1122 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue May 11, 2021 3:49 pm

8516knicks wrote:For what it's worth, RJ is 6th in the NBA in distance traveled. :o
https://www.nba.com/stats/players/speed-distance/?sort=DIST_MILES&dir=1

That's an interesting fact.

I mean the team noticeably plays harder when he's on the court.

It always seems like he's moving when he's on the court. For instance, while he struggles containing dribble penetration, his defensive rotations and close-outs are great (Phoenix game aside). He's a very good team defender. On offense, he's constantly moving without the ball, making hard cuts, relocating behind the 3-point line, pushing the ball in transition...

The fact that Julius is in the top 10 as well is also encouraging. It really shows how these two have bought in under Thibs.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,494

Post#1123 » by KnicksGod » Tue May 11, 2021 5:43 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
8516knicks wrote:For what it's worth, RJ is 6th in the NBA in distance traveled. :o

It always seems like he's moving when he's on the court. For instance, while he struggles containing dribble penetration, his defensive rotations and close-outs are great (Phoenix game aside). He's a very good team defender. On offense, he's constantly moving without the ball, making hard cuts, relocating behind the 3-point line, pushing the ball in transition...

The fact that Julius is in the top 10 as well is also encouraging. It really shows how these two have bought in under Thibs.

You're like my younger self. I pass the torch to you after I'm fully retired. You're Steve Mills and I'm Phil Jackson. Wait.

BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,377
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#1124 » by BKlutch » Tue May 11, 2021 6:38 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:

You're like my younger self. I pass the torch to you after I'm fully retired. You're Steve Mills and I'm Phil Jackson. Wait.

I recall reading a few years ago that total distance traveled was a bad thing, because it indicated excess movement and tiring oneself out needlessly. Looking at the players at the top, they seem to be good. So yeah, maybe RJ's movement is from always being active on defense, helping out, and moving without the ball on offense. This takes a lot of energy and may be why many teams won't play this way. With two players near the top of the list, the Knicks are certainly not lazy.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,889

Post#1125 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:22 pm

BugginOut wrote:

RJ already as a good layup package already. When he learns how to draw fouls consistently is when he will take his game to the next level.

I'm definitely a little worried about his finishing right now tbh. There's been a regression in the past month or so. Idk if teams are defending him differently or he's just not as explosive cuz he's playing an insane amount of minutes. Over that time he's playing 38 minutes per game on shooting slashes 41.7/44.3/79.1 and he has really been efficient in only 7 of those 15 games and played over 40 minutes in 7 of those 15 games as well. I don't think this is really the end of the world but it's definitely something to keep an eye on.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
BugginOut
Head Coach

Post#1126 » by BugginOut » Tue May 11, 2021 7:32 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
BugginOut wrote:

I'm definitely a little worried about his finishing right now tbh. There's been a regression in the past month or so. Idk if teams are defending him differently or he's just not as explosive cuz he's playing an insane amount of minutes. Over that time he's playing 38 minutes per game on shooting slashes 41.7/44.3/79.1 and he has really been efficient in only 7 of those 15 games and played over 40 minutes in 7 of those 15 games as well. I don't think this is really the end of the world but it's definitely something to keep an eye on.

I’m pretty sure it’s a mix of minutes and us being on the road. He’s playing 40+ minutes a night and driving the way RJ does takes a ton of energy. He also has to be on point defensively every game. He is relying on his shot now to save energy. When the playoffs start he will get back to being efficient
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#1127 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue May 11, 2021 8:28 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wait hold on a sec, something missing in that image
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#1128 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue May 11, 2021 8:54 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:That's an interesting fact.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wait hold on a sec, something missing in that image

DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#1129 » by DowNY » Tue May 11, 2021 11:26 pm

It’s been a rough season for those of you who voted yes, so as a pick-me-up, hold this.
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Post#1130 » by frothbrain » Wed May 12, 2021 5:41 am

To be determined. Games like tonight show he has a long way to go. Right now he's a homeless man's klay thompson.
He needs to work on his dribbling skills this summer so he can create off the dribble and finish at the hoop.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#1131 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed May 12, 2021 12:39 pm

BKlutch wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:That's an interesting fact.

I recall reading a few years ago that total distance traveled was a bad thing, because it indicated excess movement and tiring oneself out needlessly. Looking at the players at the top, they seem to be good. So yeah, maybe RJ's movement is from always being active on defense, helping out, and moving without the ball on offense. This takes a lot of energy and may be why many teams won't play this way. With two players near the top of the list, the Knicks are certainly not lazy.

I can understand that logic on a surface level. Ya know "work smarter not harder". But first you gotta just work hard or know what it looks to work hard and then hopefully over time you learn nuance. I think he will learn that in time. It goes to show you a guy like Gibson. How many guys do we watch at a young age and you say he doesn't have the athleticism or the speed to compete in the nba, then you see a guy like Taj or any twighlight veteran and they've been stripped of all thier speed and athleticism yet still are very effective. Nuance is the reason why. So hopefully RJ learns that sooner than later cause he isn't the most athletic guy out there. We're talking about maybe Bullock level athleticism and Bullock is a known shooter so...
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#1132 » by dakomish23 » Wed May 12, 2021 12:41 pm

frothbrain wrote:To be determined. Games like tonight show he has a long way to go. Right now he's a homeless man's klay thompson.
He needs to work on his dribbling skills this summer so he can create off the dribble and finish at the hoop.

Yep. Tonight shows bust is still on the table. All the great games by this 20 year old doesn’t matter. What have you done for me lately.

Yikes
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#1133 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed May 12, 2021 12:45 pm

frothbrain wrote:To be determined. Games like tonight show he has a long way to go. Right now he's a homeless man's klay thompson.

I dont like that analogy cause Klay is a sink or swim shooter and I'd even argue that when it's time for Klay to put the ball on the floor and run an offense while it isn't his primary function he could do it better than RJ. Bullock is like a poor man's Klay and even that is just very basic, both are shooters so I classified them together type of argument.

RJ is alot more Justice Winslow, Harrison Barnes. Could he be better than them sure but its more downhill drive with a midrange secondary function. In fact he needs to work on that midrange in his 3rd offseason. This offseason his handle
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,916

Post#1134 » by KnixtapeH20 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:41 pm

To be determined lmfao.. This **** out his mind

Yea he got a long way to go, lots of pieces to add to his game to make him GREAT. Bust was never on the table with this kid. Nothing about his game suggested he'd ever be a fringe NBA player.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Post#1135 » by Kampuchea » Wed May 12, 2021 2:57 pm

Nice troll bro.
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,519

Post#1136 » by NYKnickerbocker » Wed May 12, 2021 3:04 pm

Would this board be having a melt down if we had Ja shooting 29% from 3 stagnating in his second year even tho he’s still a promising prospect

RJ is in a little slump like all 20 year olds not named Zion go through
BugginOut
Head Coach

Post#1137 » by BugginOut » Wed May 12, 2021 3:13 pm

NYKnickerbocker wrote:Would this board be having a melt down if we had Ja shooting 29% from 3 stagnating in his second year even tho he’s still a promising prospect

He isn’t even in a slump. He just had a bad game. He played fine against the Clippers. It happens
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,919

Post#1138 » by cgf » Wed May 12, 2021 3:21 pm

BugginOut wrote:
NYKnickerbocker wrote:Would this board be having a melt down if we had Ja shooting 29% from 3 stagnating in his second year even tho he’s still a promising prospect

He isn’t even in a slump. He just had a bad game. He played fine against the Clippers. It happens

I felt like the pressure got to him against Phoenix, although his shot still dropped, and he definitely struggled with Denver's length. So I think it's fair to say RJ is struggling a little, but it makes sense for a 20yo who has never experienced playoff basketball before to need some time to adjust to the pressure.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#1139 » by Sark » Wed May 12, 2021 3:30 pm

Morant had covid, which he said hit him really hard.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#1140 » by thebuzzardman » Wed May 12, 2021 3:55 pm

Looks like I didn't need to bump this topic after all.

Return to New York Knicks