ImageImageImageImageImage

Is RJ Barrett a bust?

Moderators: K-DOT, Deeeez Knicks, Capn'O, Thugger HBC, j4remi, Jeff Van Gully, mrpoetryNmotion, mpharris36, NoLayupRule, King of Canada, GONYK

Is RJ Barrett a bust?

Yes
72
28%
No
186
72%
 
Total votes: 258

NewKnicks
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,272
And1: 568
Joined: Feb 03, 2021
       

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1021 » by NewKnicks » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:01 pm

Meat wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:Can we take a moment to reflect on just how well things go for the Knicks when you do the things you’re supposed to do?

They traded Melo to kickstart the rebuild - got Mitch

They played the kids & lived with the result - got RJB

They went after a younger guy who could be a part of the future - got Randle

They traded the well playing vet in a losing year - got IQ

Imagine where we’d be if they had

A. Used the remaining cap space on assets instead of mediocre journeymen vets in 2019
B. Played the kids & lives with the results in 19-20

It’s so rare we do it but when we make the normal decision, it pays off for us. How many arguments did we have on all these things?


Don't forget we drafted Obi over Hali. We drafted Knox over SGA and Mikal Bridges. We drafted Frank over Donavan Mitchell and Bam.

Imagine adding 1-2 of those players? Wow, what could have been.

1)butterfly effect

2)you’ve got no clue how those players would have developed being drafted by the Knicks. I mean you look at Knox or even Frank’s stroke and wonder how they aren’t 40% 3pt shot makers and scratch your head. Maybe they’re drafted my Utah or mia realize their potential


Keep making up excuses for our pathetic front offices. I don't scratch my head after 3-4 years of seeing players not getting any burn. They obviously are not performing in practice, because they don't get to play. And it's not Thibs fault. We're talking about 3-4 different coaches who made the same decisions on them.

Knox - Bust/Possible end of the bench spot up 3 guy
Frank - Bust
Obi -Bust/Possible role player (very limited minutes)

And we got lucky getting the #3 spot in RJ's draft. The front office didn't need to think about that one. It was a 3 player draft.

What's with all these fans defending all of our chit front offices? Don't you want a front office that can do a better job of evaluating players?? I don't get it, but there are a lot of you around.

Don't you want to win?
User avatar
BugginOut
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,430
And1: 5,153
Joined: May 25, 2014
   

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1022 » by BugginOut » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:15 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
BugginOut wrote:
Read on Twitter


Good insight in what RJ will be working on the next two off-seasons with his trainer Drew Hanlen

Ask Hanlen what Barrett will look to add to his game this coming summer and the trainer to the stars quickly lays out a multi-year plan that will touch on every aspect of Barrett’s offensive arsenal. This coming summer the focus will be on adding the ability to shoot threes off the dribble and on the move.

Part of Barrett’s improvement this season has been focusing on taking advantage of open catch-and-shoot opportunities. The next step is to be dangerous either coming off screens or pulling up off the dribble against sagging defenders.

As well, more attention will be given to adding some shiftiness to Barrett’s dribble-drive game as defenders have to honour his shooting.

Finally – likely heading into his fourth season –the goal will be developing a more varied package of shots to finish at the rim in traffic.

“We look at it in phases because we only have so much time to work together in the off-season,” says Hanlen. “We’d rather master one thing rather than spread ourselves thin and become decent at a lot of things.”

I remember when rj struggled to start the season everybody was going at Hanlen. Hanlen said he had to block a bunch of Knicks fans :lol:

Great to hear that’s what they’re gonna work on this summer though. That’s what will take him to that level of star sim if he can create jumpers off the dribble

Yeah people were killing him even though he had to redo his whole shooting form during the summer and had no practice actually in game. He probably would have made improvements earlier without Fizdale and Co. messing up his shot last year.

The early returns were positive and Barrett was making progress but when he arrived at training camp the Knicks coaching staff then in place pushed back and demanded their prize rookie bring his elbow closer to his body again. The season turned into a struggle. The Knicks flailed to a 4-18 start, fired head coach David Fizdale and eventually cleaned out their management ranks too.


:-?
User avatar
Meat
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,208
And1: 2,656
Joined: Jun 30, 2013
     

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1023 » by Meat » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:23 pm

NewKnicks wrote:
Meat wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
Don't forget we drafted Obi over Hali. We drafted Knox over SGA and Mikal Bridges. We drafted Frank over Donavan Mitchell and Bam.

Imagine adding 1-2 of those players? Wow, what could have been.

1)butterfly effect

2)you’ve got no clue how those players would have developed being drafted by the Knicks. I mean you look at Knox or even Frank’s stroke and wonder how they aren’t 40% 3pt shot makers and scratch your head. Maybe they’re drafted my Utah or mia realize their potential


Keep making up excuses for our pathetic front offices. I don't scratch my head after 3-4 years of seeing players not getting any burn. They obviously are not performing in practice, because they don't get to play. And it's not Thibs fault. We're talking about 3-4 different coaches who made the same decisions on them.

Knox - Bust/Possible end of the bench spot up 3 guy
Frank - Bust
Obi -Bust/Possible role player (very limited minutes)

And we got lucky getting the #3 spot in RJ's draft. The front office didn't need to think about that one. It was a 3 player draft.

What's with all these fans defending all of our chit front offices? Don't you want a front office that can do a better job of evaluating players?? I don't get it, but there are a lot of you around.

Don't you want to win?



No you’re right, drafting is an exact science and there’s not years of historical data showing that idk there’s only a 3% chance historically that the 8th pick is an all star.
User avatar
3toheadmelo
RealGM
Posts: 51,403
And1: 57,963
Joined: Feb 15, 2015
 

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1024 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:27 pm

BugginOut wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
BugginOut wrote:
Read on Twitter


Good insight in what RJ will be working on the next two off-seasons with his trainer Drew Hanlen


I remember when rj struggled to start the season everybody was going at Hanlen. Hanlen said he had to block a bunch of Knicks fans :lol:

Great to hear that’s what they’re gonna work on this summer though. That’s what will take him to that level of star sim if he can create jumpers off the dribble

Yeah people were killing him even though he had to redo his whole shooting form during the summer and had no practice actually in game. He probably would have made improvements earlier without Fizdale and Co. messing up his shot last year.

The early returns were positive and Barrett was making progress but when he arrived at training camp the Knicks coaching staff then in place pushed back and demanded their prize rookie bring his elbow closer to his body again. The season turned into a struggle. The Knicks flailed to a 4-18 start, fired head coach David Fizdale and eventually cleaned out their management ranks too.


:-?

Fizdale and his coaching staff were the absolute worst. Remember DSJ worked with Keith smart (fizdale’s assistant coach) for a whole off-season and DSJ came back so much worse. Not surprised they almost ruined RJ
Cavs Nation
PG: Jamal Murray/ Schroder
SG: Zach Lavine/Dunn
SF: Jayson Tatum/Hart
PF: Bam Adebayo/Tate
C: Deandre Ayton/ Randle


It's like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain't directed directly at me, I don't respect it
User avatar
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 63,486
And1: 25,456
Joined: Oct 10, 2003
   

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1025 » by KnicksGod » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:31 pm

NewKnicks wrote:
Meat wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
Don't forget we drafted Obi over Hali. We drafted Knox over SGA and Mikal Bridges. We drafted Frank over Donavan Mitchell and Bam.

Imagine adding 1-2 of those players? Wow, what could have been.

1)butterfly effect

2)you’ve got no clue how those players would have developed being drafted by the Knicks. I mean you look at Knox or even Frank’s stroke and wonder how they aren’t 40% 3pt shot makers and scratch your head. Maybe they’re drafted my Utah or mia realize their potential


Keep making up excuses for our pathetic front offices. I don't scratch my head after 3-4 years of seeing players not getting any burn. They obviously are not performing in practice, because they don't get to play. And it's not Thibs fault. We're talking about 3-4 different coaches who made the same decisions on them.

Knox - Bust/Possible end of the bench spot up 3 guy
Frank - Bust
Obi -Bust/Possible role player (very limited minutes)

And we got lucky getting the #3 spot in RJ's draft. The front office didn't need to think about that one. It was a 3 player draft.

What's with all these fans defending all of our chit front offices? Don't you want a front office that can do a better job of evaluating players?? I don't get it, but there are a lot of you around.

Don't you want to win?


You were saying RJ wasn’t that good like two days ago, so forgive us if we are not waiting on your draft acumen.
Semi-retired Knicks fan. Image
User avatar
NoDopeOnSundays
General Manager
Posts: 8,808
And1: 15,088
Joined: Nov 22, 2005
         

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1026 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:37 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter


Please close this thread!!!!!

The fact that this is still a topic is disappointing!!!

Be better guys/gals!!!!!

BE BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




All the people pushing back when I said he's better than Morant sure have gone silent.


Image
User avatar
3toheadmelo
RealGM
Posts: 51,403
And1: 57,963
Joined: Feb 15, 2015
 

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1027 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:50 pm

Now that I think of it, I wonder if Keith smart played a part in Randle being a poor shooter last year too. Randle shot 34% from 3 under the Pelicans and then dropped 7% the next year which I thought was odd. I’ll assume he did
Cavs Nation
PG: Jamal Murray/ Schroder
SG: Zach Lavine/Dunn
SF: Jayson Tatum/Hart
PF: Bam Adebayo/Tate
C: Deandre Ayton/ Randle


It's like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain't directed directly at me, I don't respect it
NewKnicks
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,272
And1: 568
Joined: Feb 03, 2021
       

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1028 » by NewKnicks » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:57 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
Meat wrote:1)butterfly effect

2)you’ve got no clue how those players would have developed being drafted by the Knicks. I mean you look at Knox or even Frank’s stroke and wonder how they aren’t 40% 3pt shot makers and scratch your head. Maybe they’re drafted my Utah or mia realize their potential


Keep making up excuses for our pathetic front offices. I don't scratch my head after 3-4 years of seeing players not getting any burn. They obviously are not performing in practice, because they don't get to play. And it's not Thibs fault. We're talking about 3-4 different coaches who made the same decisions on them.

Knox - Bust/Possible end of the bench spot up 3 guy
Frank - Bust
Obi -Bust/Possible role player (very limited minutes)

And we got lucky getting the #3 spot in RJ's draft. The front office didn't need to think about that one. It was a 3 player draft.

What's with all these fans defending all of our chit front offices? Don't you want a front office that can do a better job of evaluating players?? I don't get it, but there are a lot of you around.

Don't you want to win?


You were saying RJ wasn’t that good like two days ago, so forgive us if we are not waiting on your draft acumen.


And you think every player the Knicks have ever had is going to be in the hall of fame. Don't make me dig up your posts. If you keep coming at me with your garbage I'll start posting a lot of your dumb chit evaluations. Don't make me do it.

You've proven to be a complete idiot when it comes to your take on players, and believe me anyone who's been on this board for a long time knows it. You really don't know much about basketball in general.

Now go away.
User avatar
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 63,486
And1: 25,456
Joined: Oct 10, 2003
   

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1029 » by KnicksGod » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:14 pm

NewKnicks wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
Keep making up excuses for our pathetic front offices. I don't scratch my head after 3-4 years of seeing players not getting any burn. They obviously are not performing in practice, because they don't get to play. And it's not Thibs fault. We're talking about 3-4 different coaches who made the same decisions on them.

Knox - Bust/Possible end of the bench spot up 3 guy
Frank - Bust
Obi -Bust/Possible role player (very limited minutes)

And we got lucky getting the #3 spot in RJ's draft. The front office didn't need to think about that one. It was a 3 player draft.

What's with all these fans defending all of our chit front offices? Don't you want a front office that can do a better job of evaluating players?? I don't get it, but there are a lot of you around.

Don't you want to win?


You were saying RJ wasn’t that good like two days ago, so forgive us if we are not waiting on your draft acumen.


And you think every player the Knicks have ever had is going to be in the hall of fame. Don't make me dig up your posts. If you keep coming at me with your garbage I'll start posting a lot of your dumb chit evaluations. Don't make me do it.

You've proven to be a complete idiot when it comes to your take on players, and believe me anyone who's been on this board for a long time knows it. You really don't know much about basketball in general.

Now go away.


Says the guy who loved Terrence Williams, like three banned users ago. IIRC you went on and on about him.

Obi doesn’t have a great shot to be a major scorer but it’s too soon to say he’s not a starter, let alone a bust. Some troubling signs but he’s playing noticeably better.
Semi-retired Knicks fan. Image
User avatar
dakomish23
RealGM
Posts: 43,762
And1: 29,329
Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Location: Empire State
     

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1030 » by dakomish23 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:12 pm

BKlutch wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
BKlutch wrote:Very well said.


How’d this thinking work out in 2019 FA? It didn’t.

Journeymen come and go, hence the name.

You’ll fall right out of love with these guys the second they’re gone and new journeymen replace them. Just like past journeymen

Morris helped us quite a bit after we traded him. We had bad management and coaching. The team was bad so there was no way FAs wanted to join us. Our image is changing this year.


I never once said the Morris signing was a bad one
:lol: :lol: :lol:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128
User avatar
dakomish23
RealGM
Posts: 43,762
And1: 29,329
Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Location: Empire State
     

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1031 » by dakomish23 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:28 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Agreed on all points (but one).

But for me the point about the vets is about which type of vets do you bring in. Players who have been in the trenches and who can play and off the ball to give the kids the space they need to develop, or ball-dominant career losers who will decide the fate of the team? And will the organization hold these vets accountable or cater to them because of some misguided old-school principle that standing on its own is actually devoid of substance?

Bullock, Burks and Noel have done wonders for this team this season because they mostly play within their role, and they do it quite well. Bullock and Noel for instance don't compromise RJ's usage. A guy like Payton on the other hand puts a ceiling on Quickley's playing time and on RJ's usage without actually helping the team.

My point is, not all mediocre journeyman vets are created equal.

Bullock yes. That’s why nobody was against the 2nd version of his contract. We could of used all the cap space on assets and still signed him - it was an exception. A some 3 & some D guy is always a solid small investment.

Burks is a gunner given too big a role. Reduce his role and id like him a 100x better. He’s not that good for the role he’s given.

Noel is a rim protector and literally nothing else. He’s a huge detriment on offense. One of the worst PnR men in the NBA. Not just eye test, stats back that up. He’s not a good rebounder. He can block shots. That’s it.

They haven’t done wonders. They sometimes meet their inflated roles and more often have not. We won’t miss them when they’re gone.

Just like we didn’t miss any of the other journeymen who’ve been here the last few years.

There is no world I would rather have the journeymen vets than the assets.

It appears I agree about the idea of accumulating assets but I disagree about the extent to which you're willing to go in order to accomplish that. For me it's all about finding the right balance and identifying the right type of vets that you're willing to bring in.

Young players need to have vets around them to guide them on the court and off the court and also to help them be competitive so they can play in games that matter.

Burks fills a role that no one else on the roster can take on: a guard who can create his own shot in any situation and also spot-up and hit threes. His role isn't inflated, he's just the only player who's proven he can fill this role. Not to mention, the team plays well with him on the court, as evidenced by his +5.4 net rating, third best mark on the team among rotation players. You say he's a gunner yet he has a very respectable TS% of 56.3. What do you want, Thibs to reduce his role because he's actually making the team better within his role? What sort of precedent does this set? I don't know, I sense some form of cognitive dissonance here.

You want someone better than Burks for his role? Then you're gonna have to spend more than $6 million a year, maybe triple that amount. Are you willing to do that? Burks is a bargain for his level of production.

Noel might be a weak rebounder, and he might have terrible hands on offense, but he's doing an admirable job on defense and he's passable on offense, since he barely takes any shots. Yes, Mitch is better, but Mitch is injured, and Noel - as a back-up (which he should be) was simply upgraded to a starter. I really don't understand the complaint about Noel. Whose path is he blocking? Obi's? He's not an NBA center at this stage in his career, not until he can defend in space and protect the rim.


His outlier performances are what are propping his shooting numbers. Just like Austin Rivers, who has a 55% TS mark on the year. They get super hot from 3 a few games and skews the season average. Most nights they’re mediocre from deep. How many games is this guy a no show? Doesn’t stop him from gunning. Take a look at the game log. The 30 games after returning from injury he shot 41% from the field.

I’m not saying spend every dime on assets. I’m saying we had clear opportunities but instead chose bums like Portis, a decision a lot defended when it happened. You could see that train wreck from a mile away. We gave up on a first to pay that bench journeymen 15 mil. It’s not the only one, it’s just one of the more egregious. Don’t get me started on THJ.

Burks won’t be missed IMO. Gunners come and go. He’s fine at the price tag but my problem is with his role. Watch how many iso chucks this guy does in crunch time.

As always, time will be the judge.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128
User avatar
Chanel Bomber
General Manager
Posts: 8,717
And1: 12,783
Joined: Sep 20, 2018
 

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1032 » by Chanel Bomber » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:43 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:Bullock yes. That’s why nobody was against the 2nd version of his contract. We could of used all the cap space on assets and still signed him - it was an exception. A some 3 & some D guy is always a solid small investment.

Burks is a gunner given too big a role. Reduce his role and id like him a 100x better. He’s not that good for the role he’s given.

Noel is a rim protector and literally nothing else. He’s a huge detriment on offense. One of the worst PnR men in the NBA. Not just eye test, stats back that up. He’s not a good rebounder. He can block shots. That’s it.

They haven’t done wonders. They sometimes meet their inflated roles and more often have not. We won’t miss them when they’re gone.

Just like we didn’t miss any of the other journeymen who’ve been here the last few years.

There is no world I would rather have the journeymen vets than the assets.

It appears I agree about the idea of accumulating assets but I disagree about the extent to which you're willing to go in order to accomplish that. For me it's all about finding the right balance and identifying the right type of vets that you're willing to bring in.

Young players need to have vets around them to guide them on the court and off the court and also to help them be competitive so they can play in games that matter.

Burks fills a role that no one else on the roster can take on: a guard who can create his own shot in any situation and also spot-up and hit threes. His role isn't inflated, he's just the only player who's proven he can fill this role. Not to mention, the team plays well with him on the court, as evidenced by his +5.4 net rating, third best mark on the team among rotation players. You say he's a gunner yet he has a very respectable TS% of 56.3. What do you want, Thibs to reduce his role because he's actually making the team better within his role? What sort of precedent does this set? I don't know, I sense some form of cognitive dissonance here.

You want someone better than Burks for his role? Then you're gonna have to spend more than $6 million a year, maybe triple that amount. Are you willing to do that? Burks is a bargain for his level of production.

Noel might be a weak rebounder, and he might have terrible hands on offense, but he's doing an admirable job on defense and he's passable on offense, since he barely takes any shots. Yes, Mitch is better, but Mitch is injured, and Noel - as a back-up (which he should be) was simply upgraded to a starter. I really don't understand the complaint about Noel. Whose path is he blocking? Obi's? He's not an NBA center at this stage in his career, not until he can defend in space and protect the rim.


His outlier performances are what are propping his shooting numbers. Just like Austin Rivers, who has a 55% TS mark on the year. They get super hot from 3 a few games and skews the season average. Most nights they’re mediocre from deep. How many games is this guy a no show? Doesn’t stop him from gunning. Take a look at the game log. The 30 games after returning from injury he shot 41% from the field.

I’m not saying spend every dime on assets. I’m saying we had clear opportunities but instead chose bums like Portis, a decision a lot defended when it happened. You could see that train wreck from a mile away. We gave up on a first to pay that bench journeymen 15 mil. It’s not the only one, it’s just one of the more egregious. Don’t get me started on THJ.

Burks won’t be missed IMO. Gunners come and go. He’s fine at the price tag but my problem is with his role. Watch how many iso chucks this guy does in crunch time.

As always, time will be the judge.

I mean you can say that about a lot of players, including RJ and Quickley. In a way, that's why we use averages.

And if you're gonna use TS% for Austin Rivers, then use it for Burks as well instead of conveniently referring to FG%. Bro you know damn well Burks takes a lot of 3s and shoots them well, hence his FG% is not indicative of his scoring efficiency. I'm not letting you get away with this :lol:

The team was playing terribly with Rivers, that's the biggest difference between him and Burks. Everybody knew Rivers was playing like trash. Very few people are actually critical of Burks's play or his role, because the team functions well when he's out on the court.

Rivers: -5.1 net rating (lowest among rotation players), -5.7 per 100 on/off.
Burks: +5.4 net rating (3rd highest among rotation players), +7.5 per 100 on/off.

Again, the Knicks don't have a guard who can create his own shot besides Burks. He's the most qualified. RJ and Quickley don't have that in their skill set yet, they aren't ready. Randle is a frontcourt player who can easily get crowded and who - to put it mildly - has struggled in the clutch. So who do you want taking on that role, especially down the stretch? Someone on the team? A free agent signing? Then at what cost?

Reasonably, you have to acknowledge that there's a significant gap between your description of Burks as a "gunner" and as an "iso chucker" and the actual team stats when he's on the floor. The numbers unequivocally show that the team (including RJ, Quickley and Randle) performs significantly better when he plays.
Image
User avatar
Im Coming Home
RealGM
Posts: 18,172
And1: 7,614
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
Location: Bay Shore, NY
       

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1033 » by Im Coming Home » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:52 am

Please don't lock this thread,

It is an anti-jinx/good luck thread for RJ at this point and its also just an overall RJ discussion thread.

Please don't mess with it!
Image
User avatar
K-DOT
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 16,348
And1: 26,179
Joined: Nov 25, 2016
Location: Dante's Purgatory, 2nd Terrace
       

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1034 » by K-DOT » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:54 am

Im Coming Home wrote:Please don't lock this thread,

It is an anti-jinx/good luck thread for RJ at this point and its also just an overall RJ discussion thread.

Please don't mess with it!

It stays up as a monument to stupidity.
BAF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Tre Jones
Killian Hayes/Avery Bradley
Keldon Johnson/Cam Johnson
Saddiq Bey/Darius Bazley
Onyeka Okongwu/Bol Bol

Check out our podcast, No Blood No Foul!:

Image
User avatar
dakomish23
RealGM
Posts: 43,762
And1: 29,329
Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Location: Empire State
     

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1035 » by dakomish23 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:56 am

Never ever ever ever close this thread.

Folks really gave up on him b/c of a 4 game slide. Not 20. Not 10. Not 5. Four
:lol: :lol: :lol:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128
User avatar
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
Posts: 29,108
And1: 18,266
Joined: May 19, 2015
Location: Where The Wild Things Are
         

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1036 » by El Poochio » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:56 am

RJ catch n shoot 3s >>>>> Harden stepbacks

Most unstoppable move in basketball
New Orleans Pelicans

B: T. Young | G. Hill | J. Harper
B: D. Robinson | G. Trent | B. McLemore
B: P. George | OG Anunoby | J. Holiday
B: J. Crowder | D. Bertans | PJ Tucker
B: A. Davis | D. Theis | A. Baynes

HC: Sim Van Gundy

O: Isolation
D: Social Distancing
User avatar
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
Posts: 29,108
And1: 18,266
Joined: May 19, 2015
Location: Where The Wild Things Are
         

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1037 » by El Poochio » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:58 am

dakomish23 wrote:Never ever ever ever close this thread.

Folks really gave up on him b/c of a 4 game slide. Not 20. Not 10. Not 5. Four


Close the thread and start a new one Is RJ Barrett the goat?
New Orleans Pelicans

B: T. Young | G. Hill | J. Harper
B: D. Robinson | G. Trent | B. McLemore
B: P. George | OG Anunoby | J. Holiday
B: J. Crowder | D. Bertans | PJ Tucker
B: A. Davis | D. Theis | A. Baynes

HC: Sim Van Gundy

O: Isolation
D: Social Distancing
User avatar
WargamesX
Veteran
Posts: 2,710
And1: 1,542
Joined: Apr 10, 2017
   

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1038 » by WargamesX » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:59 am

RJ might be our new Spreewell....
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
User avatar
NoDopeOnSundays
General Manager
Posts: 8,808
And1: 15,088
Joined: Nov 22, 2005
         

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1039 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:04 am

First couple pages are embarrassing to re-read.


Image
User avatar
dakomish23
RealGM
Posts: 43,762
And1: 29,329
Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Location: Empire State
     

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1040 » by dakomish23 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:06 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:It appears I agree about the idea of accumulating assets but I disagree about the extent to which you're willing to go in order to accomplish that. For me it's all about finding the right balance and identifying the right type of vets that you're willing to bring in.

Young players need to have vets around them to guide them on the court and off the court and also to help them be competitive so they can play in games that matter.

Burks fills a role that no one else on the roster can take on: a guard who can create his own shot in any situation and also spot-up and hit threes. His role isn't inflated, he's just the only player who's proven he can fill this role. Not to mention, the team plays well with him on the court, as evidenced by his +5.4 net rating, third best mark on the team among rotation players. You say he's a gunner yet he has a very respectable TS% of 56.3. What do you want, Thibs to reduce his role because he's actually making the team better within his role? What sort of precedent does this set? I don't know, I sense some form of cognitive dissonance here.

You want someone better than Burks for his role? Then you're gonna have to spend more than $6 million a year, maybe triple that amount. Are you willing to do that? Burks is a bargain for his level of production.

Noel might be a weak rebounder, and he might have terrible hands on offense, but he's doing an admirable job on defense and he's passable on offense, since he barely takes any shots. Yes, Mitch is better, but Mitch is injured, and Noel - as a back-up (which he should be) was simply upgraded to a starter. I really don't understand the complaint about Noel. Whose path is he blocking? Obi's? He's not an NBA center at this stage in his career, not until he can defend in space and protect the rim.


His outlier performances are what are propping his shooting numbers. Just like Austin Rivers, who has a 55% TS mark on the year. They get super hot from 3 a few games and skews the season average. Most nights they’re mediocre from deep. How many games is this guy a no show? Doesn’t stop him from gunning. Take a look at the game log. The 30 games after returning from injury he shot 41% from the field.

I’m not saying spend every dime on assets. I’m saying we had clear opportunities but instead chose bums like Portis, a decision a lot defended when it happened. You could see that train wreck from a mile away. We gave up on a first to pay that bench journeymen 15 mil. It’s not the only one, it’s just one of the more egregious. Don’t get me started on THJ.

Burks won’t be missed IMO. Gunners come and go. He’s fine at the price tag but my problem is with his role. Watch how many iso chucks this guy does in crunch time.

As always, time will be the judge.

I mean you can say that about a lot of players, including RJ and Quickley. In a way, that's why we use averages.

And if you're gonna use TS% for Austin Rivers, then use it for Burks as well instead of conveniently referring to FG%. Bro you know damn well Burks takes a lot of 3s and shoots them well, hence his FG% is not indicative of his scoring efficiency. I'm not letting you get away with this :lol:

The team was playing terribly with Rivers, that's the biggest difference between him and Burks. Everybody knew Rivers was playing like trash. Very few people are actually critical of Burks's play or his role, because the team functions well when he's out on the court.

Rivers: -5.1 net rating (lowest among rotation players), -5.7 per 100 on/off.
Burks: +5.4 net rating (3rd highest among rotation players), +7.5 per 100 on/off.

Again, the Knicks don't have a guard who can create his own shot besides Burks. He's the most qualified. RJ and Quickley don't have that in their skill set yet, they aren't ready. Randle is a frontcourt player who can easily get crowded and who - to put it mildly - has struggled in the clutch. So who do you want taking on that role, especially down the stretch? Someone on the team? A free agent signing? Then at what cost?

Reasonably, you have to acknowledge that there's a significant gap between your description of Burks as a "gunner" and as an "iso chucker" and the actual team stats when he's on the floor. The numbers unequivocally show that the team (including RJ, Quickley and Randle) performs significantly better when he plays.


What are you talking about??

YOU brought up TS% for Burks that’s why I brought up Rivers to show how misleading it is :lol:

That’s the end of the comparison. B/C you brought up TS% I’m showing you why that doesn’t matter. I’m not defending or praising Rivers. I called it out on him too. Outlier performances carry their shooting. Most nights they suck.

RJB is better than Burks at every aspect of basketball already. Burks needs to sit behind the 3PT line and then maybe create off a closeout. Did you not watch the game tonight? I told you look for all the iso missed in crunch time. Did they happen?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Return to New York Knicks