ImageImageImageImageImage

Is RJ Barrett a beast?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Is RJ Barrett a bust?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 347

Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,944

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1681 » by Woodsanity » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:10 pm

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:Nothings changed for me. RJ did the same thing last season. For w.e reason he starts slow no idea why he's gotta figure that out if he wants to be great. Like I said at the end of the season we'll see what it is. At the break if he's still struggling it'll be a huge issue.

I'm not short sighted. I was still rooting for Randle giving him the benefit of the doubt at the start of last season when fans were falling over themselves to tell me he sucks. They were right. I just couldn't see how someone could be so night n day just bc of fans. But then u started seeing why that was the case w the mental breakdowns, outbursts n childish behavior n severe lack of discipline.

We'll see what happens w RJ

im coming back for you by all star break

:lol:

I'll be here for the smoke

I completely disagree with you that RJ has potential to be a star but I really really hope I am wrong obviously. :P

At this point I am happy if RJ can even play at the level of current Brunson.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,917

Post#1682 » by KnixtapeH20 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:04 pm

Woodsanity wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:im coming back for you by all star break

:lol:

I'll be here for the smoke

I completely disagree with you that RJ has potential to be a star but I really really hope I am wrong obviously. :P

At this point I am happy if RJ can even play at the level of current Brunson.

See that's wassup that's all we can ask for
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#1683 » by ctorres » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:39 pm

RJ is going to eventually bounce back. I still believe in him. :cry:

He does not have any lingering injury that we know of. Just flu-like symptoms?

Who is the best sports psychologist in NYC? Someone find them and get them to sit down with Barrett for a few sessions. We have to do something to get him out of this funk. We should spare no expense to get him right!

Barrett has had too many really great games to be a true bust. It's gotta be mental! We gotta figure out what it is that is keeping him from being consistently good every game.

Otherwise, are we just gonna give him away and watch him flourish elsewhere? Screw that, he should kick ass with the Knicks.

We let Porzingis go and now he is coming into his own with the Wizards. I would hate to see us do that again with Barrett.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,011

Post#1684 » by DaGawd » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:53 pm

ctorres wrote:RJ is going to eventually bounce back. I still believe in him. :cry:

Who is the best sports psychologist in NYC? Someone find them and get them to sit down with Barrett for a few sessions. We have to do something to get him out of this funk. We should spare no expense to get him right!

Barrett has had too many really great games to be a true bust. It's gotta be mental! We gotta figure out what it is that is keeping him from being consistently good every game.

Otherwise, are we just gonna give him away and watch him flourish elsewhere? Screw that, he should kick ass with the Knicks.

We let Porzingis go and now he is coming into his own with the Wizards. I would hate to see us do that again with Barrett.

porzingis actually showed the makings of being a star while he was a knick. hell he got voted in as an all star while he was on his rookie contract here. barrett isn’t the same caliber prospect
BaF
Washington Wizards
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,944

Post#1685 » by Woodsanity » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:35 am

The problem with Porzingis was always his health. When he is fully healthy he plays at a star level.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,327

Post#1686 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:47 am

Read on Twitter
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#1687 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:26 am

His 2pt% (discounting his opening game and a series of flu games) is too damn high! Seriously, though it's still not to bad, and better after last game. I think his interior scoring could be improved/improvable, and stuff like FT draw rate and makes as well.

Down with Chanel Bomber! I cleaned that up a bit for the mods.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Post#1688 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:35 am

DaGawd wrote:
ctorres wrote:RJ is going to eventually bounce back. I still believe in him. :cry:

porzingis actually showed the makings of being a star while he was a knick. hell he got voted in as an all star while he was on his rookie contract here. barrett isn’t the same caliber prospect

He was a diva and had health issues. He was also not very efficient which is the big knock on RJ. He was soft too. It took a few years for him to come into his own and look as solid as he does currently. Which is the point. Players development comes on different arcs. It's not all a wrap after 3 seasons and 18 games. Especially with players who get drafted at 18 yrs of age. God forbid people actually had any semblance of patience or an ability to root for youth around here. RJ might still be 2-3 years away from his finished product. Who knows?

He showed improved efficiency all through pre season and after a slow start from 3, he started to look decent until he got sick. Then he bounces back like a damn kangaroo tonight. Let's see if that trend can continue and become consistent. What can it hurt to root for him? He is a Knick after all. Would seem logical as opposed to dogging him and acting like it's impossible to find his way. What choice do people have? He's signed for the next 4+ seasons. Unless he's traded he is here longer than Randle will be. :o
:beer: RIP mags
ctorres
RealGM

Post#1689 » by ctorres » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:51 am

If RJ had played 4 years of college ball, this would be his rookie season

This will be the year we find out what he is truly made of
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#1690 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:21 am

ctorres wrote:If RJ had played 4 years of college ball, this would be his rookie season

Maybe, maybe not. If he was a rookie he would be learning to play in the league. Then there's the rookie wall. The sophomore slump. There is no definitive timeline to development. There is no exact science to any of it. Just let him find his way. He has been given the opportunity to do so. Makes sense to hope he figures it out here or, goes in a teade for a proven star. I'll do the former until the latter happens. Some people take a longer path than others.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,261

Post#1691 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:18 am

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Read on Twitter

I hope this is real. I remember running some stats that suggested he was showing improvement last year, but my stats didn't last.

His efficiency needs to go up, but maybe it will. I don't think he's a bust, but I don't think he's an all-star either. Mostly I hope he continues to improve.
Embiid wanted to win so badly, he deliberately injured Mitchell Robinson.

Classy.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,562

Post#1692 » by cgmw » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:03 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
ctorres wrote:If RJ had played 4 years of college ball, this would be his rookie season

Maybe, maybe not. If he was a rookie he would be learning to play in the league. Then there's the rookie wall. The sophomore slump. There is no definitive timeline to development. There is no exact science to any of it. Just let him find his way. He has been given the opportunity to do so. Makes sense to hope he figures it out here or, goes in a teade for a proven star. I'll do the former until the latter happens. Some people take a longer path than others.

QFT

Another obvious truth: there’s been an internet fan at every minute of RJ’s development who said “it’s now or never.”

Truth is it’ll take as long as it’s gonna take. Certainly he’s not lacking reps, but this could take 6-7 years to figure it out. At this point it’s safe to say he won’t be the next Kobe, but he also won’t be a total bust. We have a range and nobody knows where he’ll end up despite the clairvoyance of internet experts.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#1693 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:14 am

cgmw wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

QFT

Another obvious truth: there’s been an internet fan at every minute of RJ’s development who said “it’s now or never.”

Truth is it’ll take as long as it’s gonna take. Certainly he’s not lacking reps, but this could take 6-7 years to figure it out. At this point it’s safe to say he won’t be the next Kobe, but he also won’t be a total bust. We have a range and nobody knows where he’ll end up despite the clairvoyance of internet experts.

Yeah. Funny thing is, his detractors are usually Randle fans. Randle was 26 when he had his one good season here. 4 years older than RJ. You would think waiting a little more than 1-2 seasons for a 18-20 year old kid would make some sense.

I can understand wanting to trade him for a proven star but, like I said, until something like that happens I will root for him to improve. I'll leave my magic 8 ball packed away in a box somewhere and keep my fingers crossed.
vincccent
Junior
And1: 188

Post#1694 » by vincccent » Tue Dec 6, 2022 8:51 pm

Is Andrew Nembhard better than RJ Barrett?
German Knicks lover.
nyk2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 765

Post#1695 » by nyk2017 » Tue Dec 6, 2022 10:46 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Read on Twitter

What illness???
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#1696 » by moocow007 » Tue Dec 6, 2022 10:57 pm

DaGawd wrote:

Yeah Porzingis looked more like a star in his Knick days than RJ Barrett has.
KnicksNext
Veteran
And1: 1,509

Post#1697 » by KnicksNext » Wed Dec 7, 2022 3:12 am

WajaBawl wrote:There's no need to get that emotionally invested. We've been saying RJ is a 3 and D role-player for years. It is what it is.

without the D and without the 3
KnicksNext
Veteran
And1: 1,509

Post#1698 » by KnicksNext » Wed Dec 7, 2022 3:14 am

WajaBawl wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
WajaBawl wrote:There's no need to get that emotionally invested. We've been saying RJ is a 3 and D role-player for years. It is what it is.

uhhhhhh

he can't shoot and sucks on defense

I believe this is because people try to make him out to be a star. His role needs to be limited for him to be efficient.

RJ is not a good defender, but I believe in his size, and I'm willing to bet on his catch and shoot 3's more than his pull-ups.

Hence, 3 and D.

The difference between your statement and Robs statement is yours is hopeful projection, and Robs is current fact.
ctorres
RealGM

Post#1699 » by ctorres » Wed Dec 7, 2022 6:31 am

Last 7 games, RJ is averaging just under 20/7/3 on shooting splits of 45/36/82

He is still far from a bust!
Ma10
Senior
And1: 513

Post#1700 » by Ma10 » Wed Dec 7, 2022 9:53 am

Stakes are high he is going on that list of all time knicks greats!

Return to New York Knicks