ImageImageImageImageImage

Is RJ Barrett a beast?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Is RJ Barrett a bust?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 347

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,054

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#521 » by Jalen Bluntson » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:52 pm

NYKAL wrote:He needs to stop chucking threes and work on his midrange game. He doesn't have NBA 3pt range. I doubt he'll ever be more than a poor to mediocre 3pt shooter. Also, I'd like to see more post ups from him. He's strong enough that if he add and array of post moves, (ala kobe bryant) it would make him more dangerous.

Yeah...he needs to improve his game from the inside out. Score at the rim and a post up/mid range game. Then worry about stretching out to three enough so it isn't a liability. He isn't totally trying to chuck his way out of it...but... yeah...he needs to work on things.
:beer: RIP mags
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran
And1: 2,534

Post#522 » by Ghetto Gospel » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:03 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
NYKAL wrote:He needs to stop chucking threes and work on his midrange game. He doesn't have NBA 3pt range. I doubt he'll ever be more than a poor to mediocre 3pt shooter. Also, I'd like to see more post ups from him. He's strong enough that if he add and array of post moves, (ala kobe bryant) it would make him more dangerous.

Yeah...he needs to improve his game from the inside out. Score at the rim and a post up/mid range game. Then worry about stretching out to three enough so it isn't a liability. He isn't totally trying to chuck his way out of it...but... yeah...he needs to work on things.

I agree that the post is probably his best shot, not so much a post game like kobe but more like jimmy butler. The problem is it takes years to add a real post game. Post footwork, scoring in the post, seeing the floor and passing out of the post all take ages for a player to develop, and the way things are going right now he might not have the time for that.
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#523 » by DickGrayson » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:04 pm

is it me or are the DUKE players who get all the hype end up being less than expected in the NBA?

Besides Tatum, Ingram and Seth Curry

we have:

Jahlil Okafor (The very long Karl Towns vs Jahlil Okafor threads, Okafor was projected to be a dynasty big man)
Marvin Bagley (#2 pick was drafted before Luka and Trae Young and many others)
Jabari Parker
even my boy Justise Winslow who's a nice pro but not exactly to what I expected him to be.
Zion Williamson(He will make many all star appearances, but I thought he would be more of a two way player, blocking 2 shots per game and a better rebounder)
RJ Barrett

Duke is heavily involved with Paolo Banchero, Patrick Baldwin and Jonathan Kuminga, all five-stars among the top four prospects in the class. I think all these guys are legit prospects. Really hope Knicks land Kuminga in the future.
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,913

Post#524 » by Richard4444 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:05 pm

The question is: Can RJ make mid-range shots against good defensive teams that pack the paint?

He was very good at hitting these mid-range shots against the weak Nets G-league defense.

But I think the reason that he didn't try to hit these mid-range shots in the previous game was the higher degree of difficulty. In the previous game, teams packed the paint and "allowed" just 3 pointers.

I dont know if RJ is good enough to get separation among multiple bodies in a packed zone defense in a slow-paced team.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,054

Post#525 » by Jalen Bluntson » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:20 pm

Ghetto Gospel wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

I agree that the post is probably his best shot, not so much a post game like kobe but more like jimmy butler. The problem is it takes years to add a real post game. Post footwork, scoring in the post, seeing the floor and passing out of the post all take ages for a player to develop, and the way things are going right now he might not have the time for that.

I'm not saying he needs to be Kobe like. I don't see him being a star personally. Just a solid starter...if he can improve his shot first...go for it. From a confidence standpoint...he would be better off scoring from closer to the basket. Then stretching his range. I he doesn't improve his shooting...his bust level goes way up.
:beer: RIP mags
Nbabrothers
Senior
And1: 203

Post#526 » by Nbabrothers » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:36 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:

RJ needs to improve his shooting percentage by the end of next season or else then he will be considered a bust IMO.
What he should do is when his jump shot is off he needs to dribble drive to the basket where he is his most dangerous because no matter who’s guarding him he can take and get the and one.
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran
And1: 2,534

Post#527 » by Ghetto Gospel » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:39 pm

Nbabrothers wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

RJ needs to improve his shooting percentage by the end of next season or else then he will be considered a bust IMO.
What he should do is when his jump shot is off he needs to dribble drive to the basket where he is his most dangerous because no matter who’s guarding him he can take and get the and one.

:lol:
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,719

Post#528 » by 8516knicks » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:58 pm

NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,445

Post#529 » by NYKnickerbocker » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:04 pm

DickGrayson wrote:is it me or are the DUKE players who get all the hype end up being less than expected in the NBA?

we have:

Jahlil Okafor (The very long Karl Towns vs Jahlil Okafor threads, Okafor was projected to be a dynasty big man)
Jabari Parker
even my boy Justise Winslow who's a nice pro but not exactly to what I expected him to be.
Zion Williamson(He will make many all star appearances, but I thought he would be more of a two way player, blocking 2 shots per game and a better rebounder)
RJ Barrett

Duke is heavily involved with Paolo Banchero, Patrick Baldwin and Jonathan Kuminga, all five-stars among the top four prospects in the class. I think all these guys are legit prospects. Really hope Knicks land Kuminga in the future.
jabari was looking really good before the injuries even came back from the first surgery looking just as good. Shame it happened again
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#530 » by DOT » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:07 pm

DickGrayson wrote:is it me or are the DUKE players who get all the hype end up being less than expected in the NBA?

we have:

Jabari Parker
RJ Barrett

Yeah, I mean, if you don't count the guys that work out, none of the Duke guys have worked out.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,496

Post#531 » by cgf » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:42 pm

K-DOT wrote:

we have:

Jabari Parker
RJ Barrett

Yeah, I mean, if you don't count the guys that work out, none of the Duke guys have worked out.

Especially when you broaden the category of "not working out" to include a kid like Zion :lol:
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
nyczlegacy
Analyst
And1: 783

Post#532 » by nyczlegacy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:54 pm

Sad to say if he can't improve his jumpshot he's gonna end up being a poor mans andrew wiggins
god shammgod wrote:didn't watch a minute. it feels good. might not watch more than a game or two for the rest of the season. there's nothing to see. our best player is a midget g-leaguer.
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#533 » by DickGrayson » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:31 pm

cgf wrote:
K-DOT wrote:

we have:

Jabari Parker
RJ Barrett

Especially when you broaden the category of "not working out" to include a kid like Zion :lol:

I don't think Zion is a bust at all, I just believe his absence on defense and defensive rebounding has been not to expectation to what he was doing at DUKE and his durability injuries that plague him from going 100%. Not a bust, just not yet to meet expectation. Big difference. I also blame Stan Van Gundy who doesn't have a real offense that features Zion. Zion just muscles his way to the basket, doesn't even take a jumpshot.
Illuminatos
Analyst
And1: 1,211

Post#534 » by Illuminatos » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:23 am

Damn, so people still have patience for that bum Frank after 4 years but are ready to give up on RJ not even a month into his second season? :lol:
WadeInTheWater wrote:I stick up for LeBron to the depths of the earth, i tell anyone i know when discussing basketball that LeBron is everything that Jordan was AND more but just without the rings YET. No doubt about he is better all round than Jordan ever was

^^Trololol^^
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#535 » by DOT » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:34 am

Illuminatos wrote:Damn, so people still have patience for that bum Frank after 4 years but are ready to give up on RJ not even a month into his second season? :lol:

I'm pretty sure the people who are calling RJ a bust are the same ones who never had any patience for Frank or Knox to begin with.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
NY Knicka
Pro Prospect
And1: 275

Post#536 » by NY Knicka » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:15 am

K-DOT wrote:
Illuminatos wrote:Damn, so people still have patience for that bum Frank after 4 years but are ready to give up on RJ not even a month into his second season? :lol:

I'm pretty sure the people who are calling RJ a bust are the same ones who never had any patience for Frank or Knox to begin with.

Bc Frank and Knox are living up to their draft positions?

RJ is trash
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barrerj01/shooting/2021

How do you only shoot .431% on lay ups?
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 15,665

Post#537 » by Im Coming Home » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:20 am

NY Knicka wrote:
K-DOT wrote:

RJ is trash

By having 2 or more defenders all over you every time you get to the rim because your teams sorry ass spacing and playing next to Elfrid Payton
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,614

Post#538 » by prophet_of_rage » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:34 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:
NY Knicka wrote:
K-DOT wrote:I'm pretty sure the people who are calling RJ a bust are the same ones who never had any patience for Frank or Knox to begin with.

RJ is trash

By having 2 or more defenders all over you every time you get to the rim because your teams sorry ass spacing and playing next to Elfrid Payton
All those 6'8 point guards guarding the rim, shutting off those corner drives, just standing there before the drive ... why don't they get out the way? Don't they see him coming?

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
Orange Mamba
Analyst
And1: 3,224

Post#539 » by Orange Mamba » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:34 pm

He needs to work on his touch around the rim and midrange jumper tbh
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,496

Post#540 » by cgf » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:42 pm

Orange Mamba wrote:He needs to work on his touch around the rim and midrange jumper tbh

RJ has worked on his midrange game, that's why he's hitting those shots at a high rate.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Return to New York Knicks