ImageImageImageImageImage

Is RJ Barrett a beast?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Is RJ Barrett a bust?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 347

prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#541 » by prophet_of_rage » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:44 pm

cgf wrote:
Orange Mamba wrote:He needs to work on his touch around the rim and midrange jumper tbh

RJ has worked on his midrange game, that's why he's hitting those shots at a high rate.
Hiw can he do that with the lanes being so clogged? I mean Payton's defender is there, aren't they?

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,927

Post#542 » by cgf » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:47 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
cgf wrote:
Orange Mamba wrote:He needs to work on his touch around the rim and midrange jumper tbh

RJ has worked on his midrange game, that's why he's hitting those shots at a high rate.
Hiw can he do that with the lanes being so clogged? I mean Payton's defender is there, aren't they?

Elf's defender sags so far off of him to clog the paint that it leaves the midrange wide open.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#543 » by NYKAL » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:57 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:
NY Knicka wrote:Bc Frank and Knox are living up to their draft positions?

RJ is trash
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barrerj01/shooting/2021

How do you only shoot .431% on lay ups?

By having 2 or more defenders all over you every time you get to the rim because your teams sorry ass spacing and playing next to Elfrid Payton
All those 6'8 point guards guarding the rim, shutting off those corner drives, just standing there before the drive ... why don't they get out the way? Don't they see him coming?

yeah, Payton has been pure trash and it's obvious he's only thinking about his next contract playing me-ball. His inability to his a shoot outside of 5 feet from the rim makes him too much of a liability. His defense has been very poor which, was "supposed" to be a strength. At this point I'd rather see Harper get those minutes over Payton
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,868

Post#544 » by 8516knicks » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:57 pm

found footage of RJ training by shooting 3's.

Orange Mamba
Analyst
And1: 3,224

Post#545 » by Orange Mamba » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:15 pm

cgf wrote:

I agree with that. Let me rephrase that. I meant more along the lines of developing a go-to move for shooting from midrange and some post moves
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,519

Post#546 » by NYKnickerbocker » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Eager for the “is RJ a hall of famer” bump
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,927

Post#547 » by cgf » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Orange Mamba wrote:
cgf wrote:

I agree with that. Let me rephrase that. I meant more along the lines of developing a go-to move for shooting from midrange and some post moves

That'll come. You first need to turn your shot from that range into a weapon, before you can worry about figuring out how to utilize that weapon.

Plus it'll be easier for him to get to those spots whenever he wants, when his 3ball catches up and teams have to chase him off the line more aggressively.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 16,662

Post#548 » by Im Coming Home » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:07 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:
NY Knicka wrote:Bc Frank and Knox are living up to their draft positions?

RJ is trash
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barrerj01/shooting/2021

How do you only shoot .431% on lay ups?

By having 2 or more defenders all over you every time you get to the rim because your teams sorry ass spacing and playing next to Elfrid Payton
All those 6'8 point guards guarding the rim, shutting off those corner drives, just standing there before the drive ... why don't they get out the way? Don't they see him coming?

I guess you don't understand what clogging the paint is...
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,868

Post#549 » by 8516knicks » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:19 pm

nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#550 » by nedleeds » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:04 pm

nedleeds wrote:
Nostrand Ave wrote:From the 2019 draft, in hindsight, would anyone prefer someone else? If we had a chance to get Ja and passed I would be livid. All we can do is be patient. Only thing that upsets me is that he keeps shooting even when he's having an off night. It's an ego thing with RJ and it bothers me. He will shoot himself out the league like that.

Maybe a better question is what other players from the 2019 draft would you take over him, just disregarding that he was the 3 pick.

no doubt
-----------
ja
zion
herro
deandre hunter

maybe, at least they do 1 to 2 things at an NBA starter level
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
brandon clarke (playing poorly this year, after last year i'd have said yes after he shot 36% from 3 on good volume and was a great rebounder and defender, he's also 24 compared with RJ being 21)
cam johnson (elite stretch shooter, but older, defense is fine)
garland (atrocious defense, can't draw fouls to save his life, but if this 3 point shooting keeps up he'll be a starter)

I feel like if RJ can get his ft% above 80 and be a foul drawing wing who plays good defense and can rebound and go then he'll at least be a rotation player.

Unless they change the rules or he can shoot 3's at a high school starter level he'll never be a quality starter on a real team. With his volume we'll know by year end if he can get there. He's currently shooting 5 a game (almost all uncontested) and clocking a Chuck Hayes like 12.5%.

Adding De'Andre Hunter to my no doubt list. 4.6 3's a game and shooting 44%. ~7 boards a game and shoting 85% from the line.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#551 » by nedleeds » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:05 pm

8516knicks wrote:https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barrerj01/shooting/2021 RJ is deadly from 3 to 10 feet = 28.2%

Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,285

Post#552 » by FreeSpiritNY » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:08 pm

NYKnickerbocker wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
FreeSpiritNY wrote:RJ will continue to be a bust if he continues to not work on his shot. There is practicing and then there is working on something to fix it. Rj seems like the only thing he worked on was free throw shooting. Him and payton have to be the worst shooters in the NBA

RJ worked on his shot. Perhaps that explains the struggles actually.

Getting used to a new form that might bring greater rewards in the long-run. Not presenting this as a fact, but as a hypothetical best-case scenario.

But by all accounts RJ did work on his jumpshot.
that’s what I’m assuming. He’s committed to this form which is good, you don’t want guys constantly changing it up just cause your in a rough stretch. End up like MKG. He’s shown he can have moments when it’s working. Just keep shooting the open shots when he gets them. The form looks good, nothing like a DSJ or Muiday where your like ughhhh. Just gotta knock them down

Just because someone posted a video of working with someone working on there jumpsuit doesn't mean they went hard working at it. It also the opposite of that as well. How many time have people came in this leauge that shot like rj all a sudden became a good shooter. Payton, simmons, and mitch all say hi .. Atleast much is a center How the Ef are you a shooting guard who cant shoot? :lol: :lol: :lol:

He is shooting like 30% from 4-15ft Like the dude is not good. I am sorry until he proves me wrong he is a bust. :nod: :banghead:
Galou
Pro Prospect
And1: 643

Post#553 » by Galou » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:36 am

:o

RJ Barrett got Rodman legs

Read on Twitter
F$+*k the Nets.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#554 » by DowNY » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:49 am

Galou wrote::o

RJ Barrett got Rodman legs

Read on Twitter

Kid not even in his man body yet. Wait til he hit 24/25.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#555 » by prophet_of_rage » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:39 am

Im Coming Home wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:By having 2 or more defenders all over you every time you get to the rim because your teams sorry ass spacing and playing next to Elfrid Payton

I guess you don't understand what clogging the paint is...
I understand it well. It's a lie to pretend that the point guard is clogging the lane any more than all the other defenders in there waiting for hin, Randle and Mitch.

nyk2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 765

Post#556 » by nyk2017 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:54 am

waya wrote:The sh*t a lot of this board will have to eat if this kid put it together will be hilarious

I hope he follows the same trajectory as Brandon Ingram or Jaylen Brown, but it isn't looking too good at this moment
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#557 » by BugginOut » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:53 am

Took from Reddit:

“Random numbers but again we need to put our young guys in their best positions . Take Zion for example. So far he's only at 58% finishing at the rim (RJ is at 55% rn). However Zion is taking over 70% of his shots at the rim, 95% from 0-10 FT. Meanwhile RJ is only getting 40% of his looks at the rim and under 60% from 0-10 Ft (lower % than payton).”

Imagine if we had Zion and decided to move him away form his comfort zone to accommodate Elfrid Payton or someone? How bad would that look for us.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#558 » by prophet_of_rage » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:17 am

So we play RJ in the post like Zion? RJ is a swingman

prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#559 » by prophet_of_rage » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:18 am

BugginOut wrote:Took from Reddit:

“Random numbers but again we need to put our young guys in their best positions . Take Zion for example. So far he's only at 58% finishing at the rim (RJ is at 55% rn). However Zion is taking over 70% of his shots at the rim, 95% from 0-10 FT. Meanwhile RJ is only getting 40% of his looks at the rim and under 60% from 0-10 Ft (lower % than payton).”

Imagine if we had Zion and decided to move him away form his comfort zone to accommodate Elfrid Payton or someone? How bad would that look for us.
Are you going to say this when Quickley gets a higher percentage of shots in the paint?

BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#560 » by BugginOut » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:33 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:
BugginOut wrote:Took from Reddit:

Are you going to say this when Quickley gets a higher percentage of shots in the paint?

Say what, that Payton destroys spacing? Yeah I am. Though RJ made some jumpshots, notice how when RJ plays more minutes with Quickley he can actually get to the rim and make some layups. Even Quickley is playing better without Payton on the floor as the two PG lineup Thibs was going with the past couple of games didn’t work, cause Payton’s lack of a jumpsuit clogged the lane for Quick’s floater game.

And even though I love Quick, he isn’t going to shoot a higher percentage than RJ in the paint cause he can’t get to the rim and that floater is only so effective.

Return to New York Knicks