ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Obi a bust?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Is Obi a bust

yes
43%
no
57%

Total votes: 270

BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Re: Is Obi a bust? 

Post#1001 » by BugginOut » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:23 pm

K-DOT wrote:
BugginOut wrote:So cause Poku is chucking on the tanking OKC on terrible efficiency that’s supposed to be impressive?

Obi's scoring 4 more points per36 on 5% better TS. That's a marginal improvement

Poku's scoring 8 more points per36 on 12% better TS. That's a "spike" in production

I'm using Poku's play over the past 6 games as a benchmark for "spiking," the term you used. Obi's shown marginal improvement, but he's not "spiking"

You don't need to be so defensive about it. Obi can be improving while not having his play "spiking," which I was just commenting on being a ridiculous over exaggeration of his recent improvement.

I’m not being defensive, all I said is he improved a lot with a legit PG on the floor and thus now is showing the potential that we drafted him for.

You can call it a “spike” or just general improvement if you want, but +5% TS% and +4 PPG increase is basically the difference between RJ this year and RJ last year. It’s not negligible.

Poku is not a great benchmark because going from the worst players in the NBA by a larger margin to still very much below average is a huge leap, but doesn’t really mean much when talking percentages and normal improvements.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man
And1: 756

Post#1002 » by NewKnicks » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:20 pm

frothbrain wrote:he's terrible. just look how slow he is on defense. that tells you all you need to know about his career trajectory.

He really looks lost out there on D. He's struggling with the most basic concepts, and never seems to know where he should be. Come to think of it, he does that on offense too.

Did he shoot an air ball against the Grizz? He was averaging about 1 per game, and they're usually really bad airballs.

I'm actually surprised Thibs is giving him the minutes he is. Obi is the exact type of player he hates to put on the court. I'm thinking the boys in the front office are making in mandatory that Thibs give him some burn.

End of the bench scrub. That his ceiling and I'm sticking to it.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#1003 » by NewKnicks » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:30 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
NYKnickerbocker wrote:Don’t you can’t be a bust in your 1st season unless your on Anthony Bennett levels of sucktitude or Hasheem thabeet

I'd say Obi is pretty close to those guys.

I thought the same thing when I read it. :lol:
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#1004 » by NewKnicks » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:35 pm

BugginOut wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
BugginOut wrote:Told everyone Obi was going to ball out when D-Rose came back. Obi’s play spiked when we first got D Rose and it has spiked in this stretch with D Rose back.

If we had a legit PG Obi would be looking like mini John Collins right now. An offseason to work on his shot and strength and we will really have a force of a player. Not to mention his defense has been solid too. Knicks fans just need to be patient.
He's scored 4.4 per game since Rose came back

Really taking it to the next level.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

Since the Milwaukee game where Drose came back he’s been averaging 5.5 points in 11.2 minutes

That’s 17.7 PPG per36 on 61% TS%.

What do you expect him to be averaging in limited minutes?

We gotta stop with the per 36 stats. It's a completely meaningless stat for a bum/scrub who plays 7 minutes a game.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,355

Post#1005 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:40 pm

Yes, still.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#1006 » by NewKnicks » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:09 am

K-DOT wrote:
BugginOut wrote:
K-DOT wrote:He's scored 4.4 per game since Rose came back

Really taking it to the next level.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

Since the Milwaukee game where Drose came back he’s been averaging 5.5 points in 11.2 minutes

That’s 17.7 PPG per36 on 61% TS%.

What do you expect him to be averaging in limited minutes?

Considering you said his play was "spiking," I'd expect that to entail more than a 1.2 ppg increase over his season's average

Poku's averaging 8 on the season, but in his last 6, he's been averaging 17. That's a spike. Obi's playing mildly better, that's all.

And how old is Poku? I think he just turned 19 a few months ago. Obi is much older than RJ as a comparison. 3 years older I think. The age factor should definitely be used when talking about his game and future.

If Obi was the 27th pick in the draft, and was 19, it would be a lot different. But he wasn't taken there, and he's 23.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#1007 » by NewKnicks » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:14 am

Im Coming Home wrote:
nyczlegacy wrote:A few putback dunks doesnt mean chit

So bipolar over here.. dude looks ok for a 2nd round pick but remember he was drafted #8 as the most nba ready player in the lottery

Dudes a bust hope he can develop into 8th-9th man off the bench hopefully but seems doubtful

Who determined this?

People keep faulting Obi for this which is beyond stupid as hell. The "Most NBA ready" label is bullsh*t and just thrown on older players in the draft, it doesn't gurantee that Obi wouldn't have nervousness and have trouble figuring out the NBA.

Its beyond stupid people keep faulting Obi for this because THEY believed what the scouts said about him being most NBA ready which basically means nothing and was just based on his age and age only.

No ones Bipolar here, its just half the people like yourself so impatient and refusing to give him anytime just because he didn't come out of the gate looking like a superstar. He's shown some flashes here and there, I won't say he's played well because he hasn't, but I will say to be patient otherwise you're gonna look like an idiot next year like so many do about RJ this year.

So let's get this on record.. you're predicting the same rise for Obi year over year as RJ made? I guess we'll see who the idiot is going to be. He's a man at 23. No excuses. We struck out again in the lottery, and a lot of you just want to back the front office for reasons I don't understand.

Hali is a future All-Star, and he was there for the taking. And he's a PG. Our front office bombed the pick again. No need to defend them. It is what it is. We can only hope they might the right decisions this time around. Thankfully we have two number 1's, so maybe we'll get lucky and hit on one of them.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#1008 » by br7knicks » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:26 am

NewKnicks wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:

So bipolar over here.. dude looks ok for a 2nd round pick but remember he was drafted #8 as the most nba ready player in the lottery

Dudes a bust hope he can develop into 8th-9th man off the bench hopefully but seems doubtful

Who determined this?

People keep faulting Obi for this which is beyond stupid as hell. The "Most NBA ready" label is bullsh*t and just thrown on older players in the draft, it doesn't gurantee that Obi wouldn't have nervousness and have trouble figuring out the NBA.

Its beyond stupid people keep faulting Obi for this because THEY believed what the scouts said about him being most NBA ready which basically means nothing and was just based on his age and age only.

No ones Bipolar here, its just half the people like yourself so impatient and refusing to give him anytime just because he didn't come out of the gate looking like a superstar. He's shown some flashes here and there, I won't say he's played well because he hasn't, but I will say to be patient otherwise you're gonna look like an idiot next year like so many do about RJ this year.

So let's get this on record.. you're predicting the same rise for Obi year over year as RJ made? I guess we'll see who the idiot is going to be. He's a man at 23. No excuses. We struck out again in the lottery, and a lot of you just want to back the front office for reasons I don't understand.

Hali is a future All-Star, and he was there for the taking. And he's a PG. Our front office bombed the pick again. No need to defend them. It is what it is. We can only hope they might the right decisions this time around. Thankfully we have two number 1's, so maybe we'll get lucky and hit on one of them.

I wanted Hali badly, and thought it was dumb to go for obi.

But I don't think hali will be a future all star. I think he'll get consideration, but I doubt he'll get the full recognition.

That said, I'd bet a **** load of money that haliburton will have the much better NBA career than obi
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 15,661

Post#1009 » by Im Coming Home » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:30 am

NewKnicks wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:

Who determined this?

No.

I'm just making a comparison to RJ because so many people last year were calling him a bust as well and saying he showed nothing and he's not athletic enough for the NBA, etc.

Obi may not make the same rise as RJ, but I do think he will be better.

He hasn't been put in a position to succeed either. Calling him a bust with not even a full season under his belt is beyond stupid, him being 23 doesn't mean the NBA won't look faster than college to him, doesn't mean he won't have any need to adjust to the game, etc. All this while being played less than 10mpg or so.

We gotta be patient, might he still end up a bust? Possible, but to declare him that he's already a bust is just impatient and silly.

As far as Hali goes, we wouldn't have IQ if that was the case, and I think IQ has higher potential than Hali.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Im Coming Home
RealGM

Post#1010 » by Im Coming Home » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:08 pm

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Obi's been good on defense, and decent on offense lately.

Lets goooo Obi!!

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,973

Post#1011 » by Capn'O » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:38 pm

REPENT ON OBI!!!

I was a believer but I strayed in my belief. I REPENT OBI 1!!!
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Im Coming Home
RealGM

Post#1012 » by Im Coming Home » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:46 pm

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#1013 » by DOT » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:48 pm

I stand by what I said

Not a bust, but I'd rather have had Haliburton, and he's tough to fit around going forward, plus unless Randle falls off a cliff, he'll never get more than 15 minutes a night
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#1014 » by BugginOut » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:48 pm

Obi is going to be a beast next season. He’s adjusting to the NBA and playing with swag. After a offseason with KP he’s going to be explosive.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,608

Post#1015 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:50 pm

Capn'O wrote:REPENT ON OBI!!!

In the same boat as you. Think we were the only Obi fans pre draft then we jumped ship only to repent for our sins :lol:
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,973

Post#1016 » by Capn'O » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:54 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Capn'O wrote:REPENT ON OBI!!!

In the same boat as you. Think we were the only Obi fans pre draft then we jumped ship only to repent for our sins :lol:

Even with that, I thought he would be one dimensional but effective. Thibs has him playing both ends. Wonderful.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,085

Post#1017 » by Juco24 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:33 pm

I stand by what I said... this thread was created an entire season too early.
Guano
RealGM
And1: 39,733

Post#1018 » by Guano » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:20 pm

Juco24 wrote:I stand by what I said... this thread was created an entire season too early.

OP ain't sht

probably should be banned
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,385

Post#1019 » by NYKat » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:58 pm

BugginOut wrote:Obi is going to be a beast next season. He’s adjusting to the NBA and playing with swag. After a offseason with KP he’s going to be explosive.

Agreed,

With our culture being what it is, I believe he’s in the right environment to reach his potential...

Not worried about him at all
Im Coming Home
RealGM

Post#1020 » by Im Coming Home » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:10 pm

Guano wrote:
Juco24 wrote:I stand by what I said... this thread was created an entire season too early.

OP ain't sht

probably should be banned

Idk, I think OP made it as an anti-jinx thread because the RJ is a bust? thread seemed to anti-jinx RJ and make him better and OP was hoping for the same here.

Edit: oh it was you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to New York Knicks