ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Obi a bust?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Is Obi a bust

yes
43%
no
57%

Total votes: 270

Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,125

Re: Is Obi a bust? 

Post#961 » by Juco24 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 12:41 pm

NewKnicks wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:We'll find out soon enough if Obis play was just a fluke for one game. I'm rooting for the kid, but one game is not going to turn my opinion around. Every bust in the NBA has one game where they score 30 points (I know that's not true statistically, but it seems like it happens a lot)

Still a bust until he puts 10+ games together of consistently good play. If he shows again tonight, I'll be impressed.

i'm not rooting against him

but that's like 3 good games compared to 36 **** games

Right. The Obi stans are hovering around ready to jump on every shot or layup he makes to say, "see, I told you so. Obi is going to be great!"

They're circling like sharks with blood in the water :lol:

The agendas around here are what makes this board great. But in the end I hope they're right, obviously.

Ever had this feeling you're being talked about? Lol j/k
Juco24
Lead Assistant

Post#962 » by Juco24 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:03 pm

Gravy wrote:Its not really stanning its having patience, he's 23 but he's still a rookie. ROY is not happening that dont mean his development is over. We say we want a rebuild but trash our picks if they dont look like Zion in their first month.

This team has no pg most of the time and EVERYONE struggles to score, Obi feels it the worst for some reasons that's his fault too. Next season I'll be more critical of him if he still looks this bad in a better offense. When they've shown almost no growth in 3-4 years like Knox thats when its time to move on.

Yep
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,248

Post#963 » by Godymas » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:44 pm

He’s not playing like a lottery pick but he isn’t Killian Hayes level of awful. He might slowly improve to a role player second unit type guy that can do a little of everything on the court to support the team. He isn’t a future star it’s already obvious though. Of course sometimes rookies make massive improvements, Jimmy Butler had an awful rookie year
Twisted
Junior
And1: 73

Post#964 » by Twisted » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:06 am

Obi’s offense has been looking solid lately. He’s scoring in different ways and looking pretty confident. I want to see more rebounding from him though. He seems to have a tough time maintaining position on the boards.

All in all, his number one priority this off-season needs to be strength. That would help shore up his main weaknesses. And since the guy is a late bloomer who had his growth spurt later than normal, I think he’ll do just that and fill out over these next couple years.

By the way, I was annoyed tonight when Burks was on a fast break at one point with Nerlens on his left and Obi on his right and with more space, yet burks just gives it to Nerlens so he can barrel into the defense and turn it over. That’s literally the ideal situation to have Obi in. Throw that ball up and get the easy dunk, but Burks gives it to Nerlens of all people instead. I notice stuff like this a few times per game, where kicking it to an open Obi near the rim would guarantee an easy bucket, but the guards just take it themselves or pass it elsewhere.

But yeah, on the positive side it was good to see the knicks actually run a screen and roll for Obi to play to his strengths for once, which got him that bucket in the paint (via Rose of course). And it’s good to see him draining contested corner threes.
Don't get it Twisted.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,710

Post#965 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:21 am

I'm willing to take his improvements in small doses for now. Our team has other more pressing problems.
Free Palestine
Juco24
Lead Assistant

Post#966 » by Juco24 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 10:24 am

Twisted wrote:Obi’s offense has been looking solid lately. He’s scoring in different ways and looking pretty confident. I want to see more rebounding from him though. He seems to have a tough time maintaining position on the boards.

All in all, his number one priority this off-season needs to be strength. That would help shore up his main weaknesses. And since the guy is a late bloomer who had his growth spurt later than normal, I think he’ll do just that and fill out over these next couple years.

By the way, I was annoyed tonight when Burks was on a fast break at one point with Nerlens on his left and Obi on his right and with more space, yet burks just gives it to Nerlens so he can barrel into the defense and turn it over. That’s literally the ideal situation to have Obi in. Throw that ball up and get the easy dunk, but Burks gives it to Nerlens of all people instead. I notice stuff like this a few times per game, where kicking it to an open Obi near the rim would guarantee an easy bucket, but the guards just take it themselves or pass it elsewhere.

But yeah, on the positive side it was good to see the knicks actually run a screen and roll for Obi to play to his strengths for once, which got him that bucket in the paint (via Rose of course). And it’s good to see him draining contested corner threes.

Agree with you completely and damn sure needs to get stronger and more physical on defense. He's being hated on for good reason but to see him continue to work and improve right before our eyes IN NEW YORK is impressive because not everyone can handle NY. I think he'll be much improved after a NBA offseason, summer league and training camp. AND GET A POINT GUARD
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,310

Post#967 » by DOT » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:49 pm

He's at 19 points per36 in his last 6 games

Which is a pretty meaningless stat, but it's an improvement over his season average of 13, which kinda shows how his offense has been better

And both are better than Siakam's rookie year when he averaged 9.6 points per36

So his offense is better than Siakam in his rookie year (defense ain't even close though), for comparison to another 23 year old rookie.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
shmeakone
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,437

Post#968 » by shmeakone » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:33 pm

I think the kid can play, its just his minutes are low and there's no plays being run for him. It really is simple as that.

No one saw Randle having the year he is.

Unfortunately for Obi, he's 23, and he's in NY where there is a lot of pressure to impress.
My lifetime better have a Knicks championship.
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Post#969 » by frothbrain » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:12 pm

he's terrible. just look how slow he is on defense. that tells you all you need to know about his career trajectory.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,107

Post#970 » by sol537 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:28 pm

-> He needs to get stronger and improve lateral quickness (both of which are totally doable!)
-> He needs to get his 3pt shooting to 40% or thereabouts (has good form already)

If he just focuses on those 2 aspects in the off-season, he'll be much improved next season. Then he can add more to his game in subsequent seasons.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,191

Post#971 » by Capn'O » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:36 pm

He's been better lately. Hope that improves.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#972 » by dakomish23 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:25 am

Still just me and Clyde on this island?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 625

Post#973 » by Fundamentals21 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:23 am

15 minutes. 8 points, 6 rebounds. Outproduced Taj Gibson. Making some progress.
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#974 » by BugginOut » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:24 am

Told everyone Obi was going to ball out when D-Rose came back. Obi’s play spiked when we first got D Rose and it has spiked in this stretch with D Rose back.

If we had a legit PG Obi would be looking like mini John Collins right now. An offseason to work on his shot and strength and we will really have a force of a player. Not to mention his defense has been solid too. Knicks fans just need to be patient.
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 16,673

Post#975 » by Im Coming Home » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:34 am

BugginOut wrote:Told everyone Obi was going to ball out when D-Rose came back. Obi’s play spiked when we first got D Rose and it has spiked in this stretch with D Rose back.

If we had a legit PG Obi would be looking like mini John Collins right now. An offseason to work on his shot and strength and we will really have a force of a player. Not to mention his defense has been solid too. Knicks fans just need to be patient.

:lol: :lol:

Good luck with that. So many posters on this board gave up on Obi like 3 months ago. They have no patience for young players, now I see why the Front Office always rushes rebuilds in the past because the fans just simply have no patience to go through growing pains of a young player.

A lot of people did the same with RJ last year and look foolish now too.

Just give it time, I think Obi will figure it all out, kid works hard and he'll get that strength up too.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,387

Post#976 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:36 am

Yes.
Juco24
Lead Assistant

Post#977 » by Juco24 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:00 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:
BugginOut wrote:Told everyone Obi was going to ball out when D-Rose came back. Obi’s play spiked when we first got D Rose and it has spiked in this stretch with D Rose back.

:lol: :lol:

Good luck with that. So many posters on this board gave up on Obi like 3 months ago. They have no patience for young players, now I see why the Front Office always rushes rebuilds in the past because the fans just simply have no patience to go through growing pains of a young player.

A lot of people did the same with RJ last year and look foolish now too.

Just give it time, I think Obi will figure it all out, kid works hard and he'll get that strength up too.

Agreed ICH... imo, this entire thread was an entire season too early. A NBA rookie, unless you're truly special is going to struggle initially and especially when * No 'organized' basketball since March. * No Training camp. * No Summer league. * Playing behind an all-star. * No true PG. * NBA coach who relies HEAVILY on the aforementioned all-star. May sound like excuses but this wasn't/isn't your typical Season. Typ, he's a very hard worker and once he gets stronger and more comfortable playing against NBA players - I think he'll be okay.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,310

Post#978 » by DOT » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:56 pm

He's scored 4.4 per game since Rose came back

Really taking it to the next level.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Post#979 » by frothbrain » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:41 pm

Remember he is 23 years old. Also his rebounding sucks, his lateral movement on defense is pathetic, and his shot form is gross to look at while also leading to wildly erratic airballs.
So yes he might be better in some areas than the fossil of Taj Gibson, but he's still a major bust especially when the Knicks could've drafted Haliburton.
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,519

Post#980 » by NYKnickerbocker » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:48 pm

Don’t you can’t be a bust in your 1st season unless your on Anthony Bennett levels of sucktitude or Hasheem thabeet

Return to New York Knicks