ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Obi a bust?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Is Obi a bust

yes
43%
no
57%

Total votes: 270

nyczlegacy
Analyst
And1: 783

Re: Is Obi a bust? 

Post#981 » by nyczlegacy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:50 pm

A few putback dunks doesnt mean chit

So bipolar over here.. dude looks ok for a 2nd round pick but remember he was drafted #8 as the most nba ready player in the lottery

Dudes a bust hope he can develop into 8th-9th man off the bench hopefully but seems doubtful
god shammgod wrote:didn't watch a minute. it feels good. might not watch more than a game or two for the rest of the season. there's nothing to see. our best player is a midget g-leaguer.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,443

Post#982 » by cgmw » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:39 pm

NYKnickerbocker wrote:Don’t you can’t be a bust in your 1st season unless your on Anthony Bennett levels of sucktitude or Hasheem thabeet

Or you're on James Dolan's Knicks playing under Tom Thibodeau and behind Julius Randle. Kid is toast. No chance. Not here anyway. Even if Randle went down with an ACL, Thibs would get management to sign another former Bull with 18 years experience before letting Obi play.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,925

Post#983 » by knicks94 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:47 pm

Until Obi can score double digits in the pts department he is a bust.
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,479

Post#984 » by NYKnickerbocker » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:49 pm

cgmw wrote:
NYKnickerbocker wrote:Don’t you can’t be a bust in your 1st season unless your on Anthony Bennett levels of sucktitude or Hasheem thabeet

Or you're on James Dolan's Knicks playing under Tom Thibodeau and behind Julius Randle. Kid is toast. No chance. Not here anyway. Even if Randle went down with an ACL, Thibs would get management to sign another former Bull with 18 years experience before letting Obi play.

I mean if he got minutes I’d think he could put up somthing like 15/7 If we had an NBA caliber Pg on the floor with him at all times

But yea as long as King Julius is here, he’s gunna have to embrace the embers big off the bench role
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,134

Post#985 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:11 pm

I'd say Obi is pretty close to those guys.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,528

Post#986 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:18 pm

Sam1r wrote:He’s not playing like a lottery pick but he isn’t Killian Hayes level of awful.

Toppin is over 3 years older than Hayes. The expectations have to be a bit different.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,134

Post#987 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:28 pm

Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:
Sam1r wrote:He’s not playing like a lottery pick but he isn’t Killian Hayes level of awful.

Toppin is over 3 years older than Hayes. The expectations have to be a bit different.

Who are you and why are you here?
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 16,163

Post#988 » by Im Coming Home » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:54 pm

nyczlegacy wrote:A few putback dunks doesnt mean chit

So bipolar over here.. dude looks ok for a 2nd round pick but remember he was drafted #8 as the most nba ready player in the lottery

Dudes a bust hope he can develop into 8th-9th man off the bench hopefully but seems doubtful

Who determined this?

People keep faulting Obi for this which is beyond stupid as hell. The "Most NBA ready" label is bullsh*t and just thrown on older players in the draft, it doesn't gurantee that Obi wouldn't have nervousness and have trouble figuring out the NBA.

Its beyond stupid people keep faulting Obi for this because THEY believed what the scouts said about him being most NBA ready which basically means nothing and was just based on his age and age only.

No ones Bipolar here, its just half the people like yourself so impatient and refusing to give him anytime just because he didn't come out of the gate looking like a superstar. He's shown some flashes here and there, I won't say he's played well because he hasn't, but I will say to be patient otherwise you're gonna look like an idiot next year like so many do about RJ this year.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,254

Post#989 » by Chanel Bomber » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:26 pm

I think Obi will be fine in terms of finding a role and putting up offensive numbers, so I think he'll manage to shed the bust label down the line.

Personally, my questions about him were always about his ability to positively impact winning as a starter.

Those questions however are far away from even being relevant at this moment in time.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,022

Post#990 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:34 pm

Obi is a player type that would compliment RJ, he's the guy that RJ would use in the high screen if we actually played RJ on the ball a lot or ran high screens. If Obi can become a better three point shooter he's basically John Collins, asking him to create for himself is a losing position. He looks at his worst when you give him the ball and expect him to get a bucket on his own, but when he rolls to the rim, or crashes the boards he looks fine.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,348

Post#991 » by dakomish23 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:02 pm

Imagine thinking it’s the dunks that were excited about, not the fact that he helped when the Knicks studs hadn’t showed up yet and he’s actually contributing in his limited role. Not his fault we use two of the worst PnR players in the NBA over him and stick him in the corner.

Some ppl just have ridiculous expectations for kids to be studs or they’re a bust. And when the kids turn it around, they’re walking up and down the bandwagon clappping their hands. See RJB.

Zero patience but par for the course
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#992 » by br7knicks » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:10 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

He looks much closer to an Anthony Bennet or habeet than he does an NBA caliber player
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#993 » by BugginOut » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:16 pm

K-DOT wrote:
BugginOut wrote:Told everyone Obi was going to ball out when D-Rose came back. Obi’s play spiked when we first got D Rose and it has spiked in this stretch with D Rose back.

If we had a legit PG Obi would be looking like mini John Collins right now. An offseason to work on his shot and strength and we will really have a force of a player. Not to mention his defense has been solid too. Knicks fans just need to be patient.
He's scored 4.4 per game since Rose came back

Really taking it to the next level.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

Since the Milwaukee game where Drose came back he’s been averaging 5.5 points in 11.2 minutes

That’s 17.7 PPG per36 on 61% TS%.

What do you expect him to be averaging in limited minutes?
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,479

Post#994 » by NYKnickerbocker » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:22 pm

br7knicks wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

He looks much closer to an Anthony Bennet or habeet than he does an NBA caliber player

Nah he’s not
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,180

Post#995 » by DOT » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:24 pm

BugginOut wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
BugginOut wrote:Told everyone Obi was going to ball out when D-Rose came back. Obi’s play spiked when we first got D Rose and it has spiked in this stretch with D Rose back.

If we had a legit PG Obi would be looking like mini John Collins right now. An offseason to work on his shot and strength and we will really have a force of a player. Not to mention his defense has been solid too. Knicks fans just need to be patient.
He's scored 4.4 per game since Rose came back

Since the Milwaukee game where Drose came back he’s been averaging 5.5 points in 11.2 minutes

Considering you said his play was "spiking," I'd expect that to entail more than a 1.2 ppg increase over his season's average

Poku's averaging 8 on the season, but in his last 6, he's been averaging 17. That's a spike. Obi's playing mildly better, that's all.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
br7knicks

Post#996 » by br7knicks » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:33 pm

I do think there's a small element of impatience. But he's not showing any signs of improving or that he belongs on the court. At least RJ got better, even minimally, as the year progressed.

Obi just doesn't look like an NBA player at all. He's more suited for the euro game
RIP, magnumt '19

br7knicks

Post#997 » by br7knicks » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:34 pm

NYKnickerbocker wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Nah he’s not

Exactly. He does not look like an NBA player at all
RIP, magnumt '19

BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#998 » by BugginOut » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:40 pm

K-DOT wrote:
BugginOut wrote:
K-DOT wrote:He's scored 4.4 per game since Rose came back

Pol

Considering you said his play was "spiking," I'd expect that to entail more than a 1.2 ppg increase over his season's average

Poku's averaging 8 on the season, but in his last 6, he's been averaging 17. That's a spike. Obi's playing mildly better, that's all.

So cause Poku is chucking on the tanking OKC on terrible efficiency that’s supposed to be impressive? If we were playing Obi 30 minutes having him chuck he’d be averaging better numbers but that doesn’t lead to winning games.

Also by playing better I’m not just talking about PPG he’s moving better, getting involved, contributing to winning. There was a stretch in the 3rd where he was involved in every play cumulating to an assist to IQ to cut the lead to 7. That’s the kind of improvement you want to see.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,180

Post#999 » by DOT » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:06 pm

BugginOut wrote:So cause Poku is chucking on the tanking OKC on terrible efficiency that’s supposed to be impressive?

Obi's scoring 4 more points per36 on 5% better TS. That's a marginal improvement

Poku's scoring 8 more points per36 on 12% better TS. That's a "spike" in production

I'm using Poku's play over the past 6 games as a benchmark for "spiking," the term you used. Obi's shown marginal improvement, but he's not "spiking"

You don't need to be so defensive about it. Obi can be improving while not having his play "spiking," which I was just commenting on being a ridiculous over exaggeration of his recent improvement.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,050

Post#1000 » by vallen » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:07 pm

I was happy when he fell to us and we didnt have to give anything up, thus saving the assets to get us IQ. I get it hes older and people expect him to be more polished for his age. And thats valid, but it is also valid that he still has time to develop into something. What that is has not been determined yet. Not being able to play with the team set him back early and its still a little premature to determine who or what he will become. I'll give him at least a full season.
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.

Return to New York Knicks