ImageImageImageImageImage

Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him?

Moderators: K-DOT, Deeeez Knicks, Capn'O, Thugger HBC, j4remi, Jeff Van Gully, mrpoetryNmotion, mpharris36, NoLayupRule, King of Canada, GONYK

User avatar
NoDopeOnSundays
General Manager
Posts: 8,808
And1: 15,088
Joined: Nov 22, 2005
         

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#341 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue May 4, 2021 4:02 am

RHODEY wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:One foot off the Lonzo Bandwagon...again :banghead:

Image



Stay out!

Image
If he keeps this up I just might.


You're like this:

Lonzo 30 good games

Image



2 bad games
Image
User avatar
RHODEY
RealGM
Posts: 12,583
And1: 7,665
Joined: May 18, 2007
Location: Straight out of a comic book

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#342 » by RHODEY » Tue May 4, 2021 4:24 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Image



Stay out!


If he keeps this up I just might.


You're like this:

Lonzo 30 good games





2 bad games


Lonzo be like this every other game....

Spoiler:
Image
User avatar
BugginOut
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,431
And1: 5,153
Joined: May 25, 2014
   

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#343 » by BugginOut » Tue May 4, 2021 4:25 am

At this point I’ll leave it up to Leon. I’m kind of meh on Ball, but wouldn’t be mad if the FO wants to go in that direction
User avatar
RHODEY
RealGM
Posts: 12,583
And1: 7,665
Joined: May 18, 2007
Location: Straight out of a comic book

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#344 » by RHODEY » Tue May 4, 2021 4:28 am

BugginOut wrote:At this point I’ll leave it up to Leon. I’m kind of meh on Ball, but wouldn’t be mad if the FO wants to go in that direction


Would Leon throw 25 million @ "meh"...?
User avatar
BugginOut
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,431
And1: 5,153
Joined: May 25, 2014
   

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#345 » by BugginOut » Tue May 4, 2021 4:31 am

RHODEY wrote:
BugginOut wrote:At this point I’ll leave it up to Leon. I’m kind of meh on Ball, but wouldn’t be mad if the FO wants to go in that direction


Would Leon throw 25 million @ "meh"...?

Maybe we can get him for 20 million? I’m meh mostly cause I don’t know what he will be in the future. He can’t stay healthy so he hasn’t been able to work on his game. But he is still young and maybe the FO thinks that with the right coach and environment he can have a career resurgence like Randle did.
User avatar
RHODEY
RealGM
Posts: 12,583
And1: 7,665
Joined: May 18, 2007
Location: Straight out of a comic book

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#346 » by RHODEY » Tue May 4, 2021 4:38 am

BugginOut wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
BugginOut wrote:At this point I’ll leave it up to Leon. I’m kind of meh on Ball, but wouldn’t be mad if the FO wants to go in that direction


Would Leon throw 25 million @ "meh"...?

Maybe we can get him for 20 million? I’m meh mostly cause I don’t know what he will be in the future. He can’t stay healthy so he hasn’t been able to work on his game. But he is still young and maybe the FO thinks that with the right coach and environment he can have a career resurgence like Randle did.


He has talent but his drive scares me. Does he even care?
User avatar
BugginOut
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,431
And1: 5,153
Joined: May 25, 2014
   

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#347 » by BugginOut » Tue May 4, 2021 4:54 am

RHODEY wrote:
BugginOut wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Would Leon throw 25 million @ "meh"...?

Maybe we can get him for 20 million? I’m meh mostly cause I don’t know what he will be in the future. He can’t stay healthy so he hasn’t been able to work on his game. But he is still young and maybe the FO thinks that with the right coach and environment he can have a career resurgence like Randle did.


He has talent but his drive scares me. Does he even care?

Maybe if he was on an actual winning team. That’s for the FO to find out
User avatar
NoDopeOnSundays
General Manager
Posts: 8,808
And1: 15,088
Joined: Nov 22, 2005
         

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#348 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue May 4, 2021 5:24 am

RHODEY wrote:
BugginOut wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Would Leon throw 25 million @ "meh"...?

Maybe we can get him for 20 million? I’m meh mostly cause I don’t know what he will be in the future. He can’t stay healthy so he hasn’t been able to work on his game. But he is still young and maybe the FO thinks that with the right coach and environment he can have a career resurgence like Randle did.


He has talent but his drive scares me. Does he even care?



What are the alternatives, are you fine with going into next season with Payton still starting?


Outside of trying to trade for Sexton, I don't see any avenues to getting much better at PG. We're not going to start a rookie point guard next season and IQ is not a PG. Nobody we get is going to be this perfect player some of you are holding out for and the 2022 free agent pool of PGs isn't that great either.
User avatar
FreeSpiritNY
Starter
Posts: 2,133
And1: 771
Joined: Mar 05, 2012

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#349 » by FreeSpiritNY » Tue May 4, 2021 5:48 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
BugginOut wrote:Maybe we can get him for 20 million? I’m meh mostly cause I don’t know what he will be in the future. He can’t stay healthy so he hasn’t been able to work on his game. But he is still young and maybe the FO thinks that with the right coach and environment he can have a career resurgence like Randle did.


He has talent but his drive scares me. Does he even care?



What are the alternatives, are you fine with going into next season with Payton still starting?


Outside of trying to trade for Sexton, I don't see any avenues to getting much better at PG. We're not going to start a rookie point guard next season and IQ is not a PG. Nobody we get is going to be this perfect player some of you are holding out for and the 2022 free agent pool of PGs isn't that great either.


Every point guard in the league is better than payton. Buy cutting him & running with quickley Rose and Luka Vildoza would be better. Seriously we dont need to rush to sign someone. Addition by subtraction. I say we go after chris paul. Screw it throw him huge money for a front loaded 2 year contract 40 million. 30 million year one 10 millions year two. Resign Rose.
User avatar
FreeSpiritNY
Starter
Posts: 2,133
And1: 771
Joined: Mar 05, 2012

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#350 » by FreeSpiritNY » Tue May 4, 2021 5:52 am

Cameron payne is a sneaky low low cost option
User avatar
RHODEY
RealGM
Posts: 12,583
And1: 7,665
Joined: May 18, 2007
Location: Straight out of a comic book

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#351 » by RHODEY » Tue May 4, 2021 5:53 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
BugginOut wrote:Maybe we can get him for 20 million? I’m meh mostly cause I don’t know what he will be in the future. He can’t stay healthy so he hasn’t been able to work on his game. But he is still young and maybe the FO thinks that with the right coach and environment he can have a career resurgence like Randle did.


He has talent but his drive scares me. Does he even care?



What are the alternatives, are you fine with going into next season with Payton still starting?


Outside of trying to trade for Sexton, I don't see any avenues to getting much better at PG. We're not going to start a rookie point guard next season and IQ is not a PG. Nobody we get is going to be this perfect player some of you are holding out for and the 2022 free agent pool of PGs isn't that great either.


Who said I was holding out for the perfect player? Maybe I just don't want to settle for inconsistent production coupled with stretches of apathetic play for 20++million a year. If he can put together another nice stretch to close out the season then ok...but if not I m not sold...not for that price.

I respect that you have unwavering faith but you shouldn't get flustered by me being on the fence.
frothbrain
Analyst
Posts: 3,475
And1: 1,514
Joined: Dec 04, 2011

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#352 » by frothbrain » Tue May 4, 2021 5:57 am

FreeSpiritNY wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
He has talent but his drive scares me. Does he even care?



What are the alternatives, are you fine with going into next season with Payton still starting?


Outside of trying to trade for Sexton, I don't see any avenues to getting much better at PG. We're not going to start a rookie point guard next season and IQ is not a PG. Nobody we get is going to be this perfect player some of you are holding out for and the 2022 free agent pool of PGs isn't that great either.


Every point guard in the league is better than payton. Buy cutting him & running with quickley Rose and Luka Vildoza would be better. Seriously we dont need to rush to sign someone. Addition by subtraction. I say we go after chris paul. Screw it throw him huge money for a front loaded 2 year contract 40 million. 30 million year one 10 millions year two. Resign Rose.


CP is owed 40 mil i n one season. He's on a winning team in a low income tax state. LOL at him leaving all that money on the table.

Schroeder is the obvious choice.
User avatar
NoDopeOnSundays
General Manager
Posts: 8,808
And1: 15,088
Joined: Nov 22, 2005
         

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#353 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue May 4, 2021 6:06 am

FreeSpiritNY wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
He has talent but his drive scares me. Does he even care?



What are the alternatives, are you fine with going into next season with Payton still starting?


Outside of trying to trade for Sexton, I don't see any avenues to getting much better at PG. We're not going to start a rookie point guard next season and IQ is not a PG. Nobody we get is going to be this perfect player some of you are holding out for and the 2022 free agent pool of PGs isn't that great either.


Every point guard in the league is better than payton. Buy cutting him & running with quickley Rose and Luka Vildoza would be better. Seriously we dont need to rush to sign someone. Addition by subtraction. I say we go after chris paul. Screw it throw him huge money for a front loaded 2 year contract 40 million. 30 million year one 10 millions year two. Resign Rose.



Vildoza hasn't played a single minute yet, and IQ is not a PG. You say we don't need to rush, but we do need to find a long term solution at PG before Randle gets paid, and before RJ & Mitch get their extensions as well. You can't just keep punting on caproom, eventually your own players will start to eat into it.

The Suns are going to resign CP3, he has no reason to leave there and they have no reason to let him walk, they have absolutely nothing to replace him with.
User avatar
RHODEY
RealGM
Posts: 12,583
And1: 7,665
Joined: May 18, 2007
Location: Straight out of a comic book

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#354 » by RHODEY » Tue May 4, 2021 6:39 am

FreeSpiritNY wrote:Cameron payne is a sneaky low low cost option


Dude has vastly improved.
User avatar
FreeSpiritNY
Starter
Posts: 2,133
And1: 771
Joined: Mar 05, 2012

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#355 » by FreeSpiritNY » Tue May 4, 2021 7:03 am

frothbrain wrote:
FreeSpiritNY wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

What are the alternatives, are you fine with going into next season with Payton still starting?


Outside of trying to trade for Sexton, I don't see any avenues to getting much better at PG. We're not going to start a rookie point guard next season and IQ is not a PG. Nobody we get is going to be this perfect player some of you are holding out for and the 2022 free agent pool of PGs isn't that great either.


Every point guard in the league is better than payton. Buy cutting him & running with quickley Rose and Luka Vildoza would be better. Seriously we dont need to rush to sign someone. Addition by subtraction. I say we go after chris paul. Screw it throw him huge money for a front loaded 2 year contract 40 million. 30 million year one 10 millions year two. Resign Rose.


CP is owed 40 mil i n one season. He's on a winning team in a low income tax state. LOL at him leaving all that money on the table.

Schroeder is the obvious choice.

i looked up the wrong contract info i thought his player option was this past season.
User avatar
FreeSpiritNY
Starter
Posts: 2,133
And1: 771
Joined: Mar 05, 2012

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#356 » by FreeSpiritNY » Tue May 4, 2021 7:08 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
FreeSpiritNY wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

What are the alternatives, are you fine with going into next season with Payton still starting?


Outside of trying to trade for Sexton, I don't see any avenues to getting much better at PG. We're not going to start a rookie point guard next season and IQ is not a PG. Nobody we get is going to be this perfect player some of you are holding out for and the 2022 free agent pool of PGs isn't that great either.


Every point guard in the league is better than payton. Buy cutting him & running with quickley Rose and Luka Vildoza would be better. Seriously we dont need to rush to sign someone. Addition by subtraction. I say we go after chris paul. Screw it throw him huge money for a front loaded 2 year contract 40 million. 30 million year one 10 millions year two. Resign Rose.



Vildoza hasn't played a single minute yet, and IQ is not a PG. You say we don't need to rush, but we do need to find a long term solution at PG before Randle gets paid, and before RJ & Mitch get their extensions as well. You can't just keep punting on caproom, eventually your own players will start to eat into it.

The Suns are going to resign CP3, he has no reason to leave there and they have no reason to let him walk, they have absolutely nothing to replace him with.



Quickley is a better point guard than payton in his first year. He also is more of a shooting guard but has shown flashes and can be groomed into a pg. His work ethic is amazing
User avatar
FreeSpiritNY
Starter
Posts: 2,133
And1: 771
Joined: Mar 05, 2012

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#357 » by FreeSpiritNY » Tue May 4, 2021 7:11 am

RHODEY wrote:
FreeSpiritNY wrote:Cameron payne is a sneaky low low cost option


Dude has vastly improved.



Not gonna lie he looks pretty nice. I would definitely replace him for payton resign rose and keep building the team.
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 47,054
And1: 40,746
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: NYCAA Wildcats

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#358 » by thebuzzardman » Tue May 4, 2021 12:35 pm

Meat wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Last point.

Randle is like Zion
RJ isn't really like Ingram
Ball is like Ball.

If the Pels are kinda/sorta having some issues with a Ball/Ingram/Zion lineup where Ingram is a more advanced "get his own shot" guy vs RJ right now, why would the Knicks be that much better with a similar set of players, only RJ isn't as good as Ingram - yet.

Other than RJ is a more team oriented player than Ingram, but I don't think that changes the equation.

Again, I'd be fine with the Knicks getting him. It depends who the other wing is for next 2 years of RJ's development.
you think the pel's problems are on the offensive end?
Zion is the worst defending pf in the league. point blank period.
Ingram is a trash defender


My point is, you add Lonzo and at best you duplicate a lesser version of the Pels offense, which while it plays at tempo, isn't THAT great. And that's with Ingram being much better in the role of creative wing than RJ is now and for the next probably two seasons after that.

And that's if the Knicks decided to play at tempo, which Thibs doesn't seem to do.

This isn't knocking Lonzo or RJ. It's more, that if the Knicks DO decide to get Lonzo (and I sort of doubt they'll pursue him) then it doesn't make sense unless there's a creative wing added that's better at it than current RJ.

I want to emphasize I say "Current RJ" because I think RJ will become a wing who can get his shot anytime from anywhere but that that player is three seasons away. Where RJ will be the super old age of 23.

See my other posts on this.

If Lonzo starts, there is only Randle who is capable of getting his shot off at will. Rose stays on the bench.

If Rose starts and Lonzo starts, then Bullocks goes to the bench, and is Lonzo really, in totality, better than Bullocks, but he'll cost at least 2X more.

Lonzo at PG with RJ and another wing who can create, while retaining Rose & Bullocks for the bench, now THAT makes sense.

Also, the Knicks could acquire Lonzo and kind of juggle the lineup the way they do now with Payton, where Lonzo plays 18 mpg at PG, Rose gets more minutes at PG, and then Lonzo gets moved over to Bullocks spot for his other 15-18 minutes, while waiting to get that other wing
Image
User avatar
Buttah304
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,663
And1: 1,946
Joined: Feb 09, 2011

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#359 » by Buttah304 » Tue May 4, 2021 1:27 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Meat wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Last point.

Randle is like Zion
RJ isn't really like Ingram
Ball is like Ball.

If the Pels are kinda/sorta having some issues with a Ball/Ingram/Zion lineup where Ingram is a more advanced "get his own shot" guy vs RJ right now, why would the Knicks be that much better with a similar set of players, only RJ isn't as good as Ingram - yet.

Other than RJ is a more team oriented player than Ingram, but I don't think that changes the equation.

Again, I'd be fine with the Knicks getting him. It depends who the other wing is for next 2 years of RJ's development.
you think the pel's problems are on the offensive end?
Zion is the worst defending pf in the league. point blank period.
Ingram is a trash defender


My point is, you add Lonzo and at best you duplicate a lesser version of the Pels offense, which while it plays at tempo, isn't THAT great. And that's with Ingram being much better in the role of creative wing than RJ is now and for the next probably two seasons after that.

And that's if the Knicks decided to play at tempo, which Thibs doesn't seem to do.

This isn't knocking Lonzo or RJ. It's more, that if the Knicks DO decide to get Lonzo (and I sort of doubt they'll pursue him) then it doesn't make sense unless there's a creative wing added that's better at it than current RJ.

I want to emphasize I say "Current RJ" because I think RJ will become a wing who can get his shot anytime from anywhere but that that player is three seasons away. Where RJ will be the super old age of 23.

See my other posts on this.

If Lonzo starts, there is only Randle who is capable of getting his shot off at will. Rose stays on the bench.

If Rose starts and Lonzo starts, then Bullocks goes to the bench, and is Lonzo really, in totality, better than Bullocks, but he'll cost at least 2X more.

Lonzo at PG with RJ and another wing who can create, while retaining Rose & Bullocks for the bench, now THAT makes sense.

Also, the Knicks could acquire Lonzo and kind of juggle the lineup the way they do now with Payton, where Lonzo plays 18 mpg at PG, Rose gets more minutes at PG, and then Lonzo gets moved over to Bullocks spot for his other 15-18 minutes, while waiting to get that other wing


I still feel the best course of action is to sign Lonzo and then sign Beal or LaVine the following summer to be exactly what you described. The wing who can create and score from anywhere on the court at any time.

Again I still don’t know if we would have the money to pull that off.

Having said that Lonzo-Beal-RJ-Randle would give you 4 above average passers/facilitators on offense. That type of ball movement in the playoffs could prove to be paramount.
User avatar
Kampuchea
General Manager
Posts: 7,984
And1: 4,305
Joined: Oct 20, 2010
Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrFOb_f7ubw
       

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#360 » by Kampuchea » Tue May 4, 2021 1:41 pm

Rose > Lonzo - particularly at the likely cost. Guess we can use both but with Rose improved play I would say it is a priority to improve over Payton but not important to get one of the top PGs out there. https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/point-guard/

Who are decent mid-level options to split PG duties with Rose? Reggie Jackson? Mcconnell?
Image

Return to New York Knicks