ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Zack Snyder’s Justice League

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,364

Re: OT: Zack Snyder’s Justice League 

Post#61 » by Polk377 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:50 pm

vallen wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:i dont think it was wokeness that was the issue

I think it was poor writing and leaning on a gimmick/soundtrack over content that doomed WW84

flash more than anyone was so tonally off in this movie

superhero kids are hard to do well
I think the new spiderman was a success at that

Didn't see it so couldn't tell you.

Well that was the problem. Ezra Miller was 24 acting like he was a clueless kid. Tom Holland works because he is actually a kid.

Tom Holland is 24. 20 when he began the role. Hes just a better actor.

Well he looks 16 and Miller looks 24. That matters too.
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,364

Post#62 » by Polk377 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:52 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Polk377 wrote:Didn't see it so couldn't tell you.

Well that was the problem. Ezra Miller was 24 acting like he was a clueless kid. Tom Holland works because he is actually a kid.

Then don't lol

I haven't seen it either and have no plans to cause I hear it's not good, and I can't comment on the "wokeness" of it because I haven't seen it

But I always get a kick out of people who are like "I haven't seen it, but go woke go broke" and that applies to any piece of media.

there was nothing woke about it

that word is being used as a handful of lazy slop to sling in lieu of an actual thought

I like that just the word woke triggers you :lol:
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,183

Post#63 » by DOT » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:16 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:I think a bigger sign of wokeness being an issue with a movie is when something is critically acclaimed but hated by the audience. Usually most journalists are way more progressive than the world around them, so if there's that big of a disconnect between the two it's safe to assume wokeness is causing it. The Joker and The last jedi kinda perfect encapsulate that phenomenon.

That's not to say wokeness can't be used really well in movies Get out and Zootopia were pretty woke and still amazing. The weird thing is with woke writing is that it ends up making such boring female characters. A few years ago there was a major backlash cuz one of the marvel female characters having a miscarriage in her backstory and it seemed so silly to me that people were mad about it. Having flaws and overcoming personal tragedy is what make characters compelling and realistic. Pretty much every superhero has some horrible tragedy in their pasts too.

I think politics in media is not inherently good or bad, regardless of what it's saying

It's about how it's applied within the story as well as how it's presented to the audience

Wonder Woman being told "you can't go up there, that's no-man's land" in the first movie before crossing no-man's land is a good application of feminist writing, because the implication is she can cross because she isn't a man. If she had turned to the camera and said "I am no man," then it would've been cheesy and kinda pandering, and so wouldn't have worked as much

It's a hard line to walk, because it has to be subtle enough to not make people roll their eyes at it, but present enough for people to pick up on it. Like, I always think of the meme where the guy is looking at a Gundam going "wow cool robot" while the Gundam shoots the themes of the show (war is bad, child soldiers get f*cked up mentally, etc) over his head because he doesn't think deeply enough to see them over the cool robots fighting.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,776

Post#64 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:35 pm

K-DOT wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:I think a bigger sign of wokeness being an issue with a movie is when something is critically acclaimed but hated by the audience. Usually most journalists are way more progressive than the world around them, so if there's that big of a disconnect between the two it's safe to assume wokeness is causing it. The Joker and The last jedi kinda perfect encapsulate that phenomenon.

That's not to say wokeness can't be used really well in movies Get out and Zootopia were pretty woke and still amazing. The weird thing is with woke writing is that it ends up making such boring female characters. A few years ago there was a major backlash cuz one of the marvel female characters having a miscarriage in her backstory and it seemed so silly to me that people were mad about it. Having flaws and overcoming personal tragedy is what make characters compelling and realistic. Pretty much every superhero has some horrible tragedy in their pasts too.

I think politics in media is not inherently good or bad, regardless of what it's saying

It's about how it's applied within the story as well as how it's presented to the audience

Wonder Woman being told "you can't go up there, that's no-man's land" in the first movie before crossing no-man's land is a good application of feminist writing, because the implication is she can cross because she isn't a man. If she had turned to the camera and said "I am no man," then it would've been cheesy and kinda pandering, and so wouldn't have worked as much

It's a hard line to walk, because it has to be subtle enough to not make people roll their eyes at it, but present enough for people to pick up on it. Like, I always think of the meme where the guy is looking at a Gundam going "wow cool robot" while the Gundam shoots the themes of the show (war is bad, child soldiers get f*cked up mentally, etc) over his head because he doesn't think deeply enough to see them over the cool robots fighting.

Totally agree with all of this but when Eowyn says "I am no man" in Return of the King, it's super bad ass
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,183

Post#65 » by DOT » Tue Apr 6, 2021 10:27 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:Totally agree with all of this but when Eowyn says "I am no man" in Return of the King, it's super bad ass

Exactly, and it fits in that movie/book, because the "no man can slay me" thing is quite literal, Tolkien was writing it as a form of irony, and the female empowerment aspect of it isn't played up too much in the modern interpretation, but it still works as a female empowerment moment

I think fantasy (including Sci-Fi and comic books cause they're basically fantasy with extra steps) stories have a hard time of it cause their main audience is young adult men. Even to the point where a lot of female authors have to write under pen names, or gender neutral names, or initials. J.K. Rowling (who's a whole can of worms I'm not getting into), R.F. Kuang (who I just found out is only 24 and has a highly successful trilogy out already which makes me feel unaccomplished), Robin Hobb, N.K. Jemisin, the list goes on.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#66 » by dakomish23 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 11:16 pm

Read on Twitter
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,050

Post#67 » by vallen » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:22 am

dakomish23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

50 minutes of Falcon and WS episode 3 was so much better than 4 hours of the second longer crappy cut of JL.
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#68 » by dakomish23 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:29 am

vallen wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

50 minutes of Falcon and WS episode 3 was so much better than 4 hours of the second longer crappy cut of JL.

I’m a DC fan boy. Before I even knew what DC was, Superman and Batman were everything to me. Only marvel superheroes I knew were Spider-Man and hulk.

DC has by far the best characters IMO and has some pretty awesome story arcs.

Yet somehow, they continually manage to mangle most of what they put out. I just don’t get who is green lighting these scripts. They’re horrendous and boring. Their actions scenes are dull. Even their flying looks stupid.

Wonder Woman was good. Birds of Prey was surprisingly good. Everything else was hot summer trash. Shazaam was hella disappointing

They’re getting good actors so that’s not the issue.

Here’s hoping Gunn saves Suicide squad

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#69 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:16 pm

Polk377 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Then don't lol

I haven't seen it either and have no plans to cause I hear it's not good, and I can't comment on the "wokeness" of it because I haven't seen it

But I always get a kick out of people who are like "I haven't seen it, but go woke go broke" and that applies to any piece of media.

there was nothing woke about it

that word is being used as a handful of lazy slop to sling in lieu of an actual thought

I like that just the word woke triggers you :lol:

yeah

its way better to troll and try to trigger than to be thoughtful or interesting
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#70 » by dakomish23 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:44 pm

Huge for the streaming wars. Was just talking to my wife questioning if we need Netflix when we mostly watch Disney plus and HBO MAX

Read on Twitter

Does this mean they’ll get the valiant comics movies too?

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit

Return to New York Knicks