ImageImageImageImageImage

Deadline done- No major Trades

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,914

Re: Deadline done- No major Trades 

Post#301 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:35 am

Read on Twitter
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,889

Post#302 » by KnixtapeH20 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:35 am

Can anyone tell me did we trade that guy elfrid payton?

Whose first rd pick did we get?
TBri1974
Pro Prospect
And1: 385

Post#303 » by TBri1974 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:10 am

Drummond has a brute offensive game that neither Mitch nor Noel (nor Toppin) have which could provide significant scoring and rebounding to our bench. Drummond can still be a dominant center in this league, although not sure we need him here given Mitch's development and all-NBA defensive team potential.

Suggestions we will get Lonzo on a 'reasonable deal' are outrageous. He is an RFA. If the deal is reasonable NO will keep him, we will need to overpay significantly to have a shot at him.

Burks and Noel will demand raises, both are borderline starters. We may be able to get Burks for 5 mil per year, but I assume Noel will cost closer to 6 or 7. We'll have to decide if that is what we want. Noel has been excellent as a backup to Mitch, but if we tie up real money in Mitch, we may be okay going with Gibson and someone young and cheap (perhaps one of our 2nd rounders, perhaps we finally trade Knox for Bamba). Rose and Bullock - even Frank - will be other players we will need to make a decision on.

In the buyout market, I will be quite curious to see if Porter lands there. Frankly I would assume Orlando keeps him to see what they have.

-TBri
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,890

Post#304 » by DaGawd » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:27 am

If we’re really gonna go thru with Drummond might as well go ahead and cut Noel.. don’t need 4 centers.. and I think Thibs keeps Taj around for the culture
BaF
Washington Wizards
Ma10
Senior
And1: 496

Post#305 » by Ma10 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:38 am

You know what. At the end of the day. Our beloved son is still here. Vive la Frank!
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,125

Post#306 » by Juco24 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:00 am

If we're able to sign Drummond, I think Thibs can and will play him and Mitch together for a little (Obi won't see the court). Drummond can space the floor better and has a decent jumper and underrated handle for a big and also a good passer. I'd expect Drummond to come off the bench and be the first big up.

If we somehow manage to get into the playoffs and have Drummond... that's when the game slows down and the physicality notches up! And having Drummond being able to create would be a HUGE plus.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#307 » by br7knicks » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:25 am

Juco24 wrote:If we're able to sign Drummond, I think Thibs can and will play him and Mitch together for a little (Obi won't see the court). Drummond can space the floor better and has a decent jumper and underrated handle for a big and also a good passer. I'd expect Drummond to come off the bench and be the first big up.

If we somehow manage to get into the playoffs and have Drummond... that's when the game slows down and the physicality notches up! And having Drummond being able to create would be a HUGE plus.

i don't see how/why anyone would play drummond and mitch together, since it's not the 1970s/80s.

but if this means that obi doesn't see the court, i'm okay with that.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,126

Post#308 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:42 am

Is it me or is Ferguson just another version of frank
Juco24
Lead Assistant

Post#309 » by Juco24 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:22 pm

br7knicks wrote:
Juco24 wrote:If we're able to sign Drummond, I think Thibs can and will play him and Mitch together for a little (Obi won't see the court). Drummond can space the floor better and has a decent jumper and underrated handle for a big and also a good passer. I'd expect Drummond to come off the bench and be the first big up.

i don't see how/why anyone would play drummond and mitch together, since it's not the 1970s/80s.

Didn't say I wanted that... just attempting to see a positive. Drummond isn't THAT AD but he's not a stiff either. He can actually shoot the ball along with being a good passer and to your point. Rather see Drummond as opposed to Obi even if it means playing 2 Cs together
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,280

Post#310 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:36 pm

The ONLY line of reasoning I see for Drummond, and trust me, I only want it for the rest of this season is:

Knicks feel that have a legit shot at the playoffs.

They'd like a C who can score around the basket - has some ability there.
- Yes, I know that his FG% sucks etc. A GUESS is that Thibs feels he can optimize what he can do with better play calling, discipline, shot selection.

The like Noel and Mitch but feel like Mitch is the better version of Noel and Mitch.
Drummond, maybe, they think is the better version of Taj, if only that he can more reliably provide more minutes of post scoring than Taj.

Best case scenario, in this "must have Drummond", is that they'll use up cap space on him for THIS year, and he'd like the prorated $ over competing for a 'chip.

Bad scenario: Knicks sign Drummond for 3 years.
Juco24
Lead Assistant

Post#311 » by Juco24 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:45 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:The ONLY line of reasoning I see for Drummond, and trust me, I only want it for the rest of this season is:

Knicks feel that have a legit shot at the playoffs.

They'd like a C who can score around the basket - has some ability there.
- Yes, I know that his FG% sucks etc. A GUESS is that Thibs feels he can optimize what he can do with better play calling, discipline, shot selection.

The like Noel and Mitch but feel like Mitch is the better version of Noel and Mitch.
Drummond, maybe, they think is the better version of Taj, if only that he can more reliably provide more minutes of post scoring than Taj.

Best case scenario, in this "must have Drummond", is that they'll use up cap space on him for THIS year, and he'd like the prorated $ over competing for a 'chip.

Bad scenario: Knicks sign Drummond for 3 years.

Surprised you didn't mention your favorite old rookie in Obi. Lol
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,992

Post#312 » by stuporman » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:07 pm

Meat wrote:
stuporman wrote:Here's another thought about the remaining cap space.... if there's a player who gets bought out thar moves the needle the Knicks have more to offer in salary than anyone else ànd an easier playoff path in the East.

This might be why they didn't use it up on a marginal player.

anyone of worth that gets bought out is gonna be chasing rings or gonna be playing for a contract that'll disrupt the team chemistry, drummond is gonna want touches in a contract year

I said on a player that moves the needle.... your player analysis discredits your point.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#313 » by WargamesX » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:53 pm

If we don't get Drummond we might go after Otto Porter and I prefer Drummond.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
stuporman
RealGM

Post#314 » by stuporman » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:16 pm

Did the Knicks get their own 2nd rounder back from the 76ers or theirs? That's the difference between a middle of the round pick or a pick that is one of the last in it.
Image?
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#315 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:09 pm

stuporman wrote:Did the Knicks get their own 2nd rounder back from the 76ers or theirs? That's the difference between a middle of the round pick or a pick that is one of the last in it.

76'ers.

Doc Rivers got traded for the equivalent of a future Slavko Vranes :D
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#316 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:09 pm

WargamesX wrote:If we don't get Drummond we might go after Otto Porter and I prefer Drummond.

Porter could take all of Obi's minutes. :D

Juco - I got my Obi mention in! :D
stuporman
RealGM

Post#317 » by stuporman » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:44 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
stuporman wrote:Did the Knicks get their own 2nd rounder back from the 76ers or theirs? That's the difference between a middle of the round pick or a pick that is one of the last in it.

76'ers.

Doc Rivers got traded?

Image?
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#318 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:18 pm

stuporman wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

76'ers.

Doc Rivers got traded?

LOL

Austin. For next year's 57th pick or whatever.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#319 » by br7knicks » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:23 pm

Juco24 wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

Didn't say I wanted that... just attempting to see a positive. Drummond isn't THAT AD but he's not a stiff either. He can actually shoot the ball along with being a good passer and to your point. Rather see Drummond as opposed to Obi even if it means playing 2 Cs together

no, i know you didn't say that you wanted it. i just don't think that that's what most coaches are looking for nowadays. short of someone with elite passing skills like jokic, or defensive monsters, most back to the basket centers are not seen anymore.

i do agree that i'd rather see drummond and mitch than obi on the floor at all, unless it's garbage time.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#320 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:04 pm

So if they spend on Drummond does that take the Knicks out of making a large offer or Lonzo in the summer?

Return to New York Knicks