ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Zone game

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 28,925

Re: PG: Zone game 

Post#221 » by HerSports85 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:12 pm

Reign23 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Reign23 wrote:already thinking about the contracts and roster for next season.
given how well they are playing and that thibs LOVES them, its fair to assume that we are going to give Rose, Burks and Bullock longterm deals, right?

I don't think that's a safe assumption.

We should be looking to upgrade all those guys.

I don't know how, tho.
Trent Jr. and Ball were my major targets, but the deadline deal and no-deal pretty much tells us their next team.
Oladipo is overrated and finally on the team he always wanted to play for.
Kawhi not happening. DeRozan a bad fit. I am very meh on Schröder and Dinwiddie.
Powell might be the biggest fish.
I really think it is hard to get better players than the 3 we already have tbh. And no, I don't think we will get an upgrade via draft either.
So I am guessing the contracts

The only move we should really make this off season is going after ball. You’re right, I don’t see any clear upgrades over Bullock and Burks ... Unless Kawhi wants out or some other star request a trade.

But realistically we’re running it back - Payton + Ball

Ball / Rose
RJ / IQ
Bullock / Burks
Randle / Obi
Mitch / ? Not sure if Noel stays.
BAF: Chicago Bulls
2023 In-season tournament Champs
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,049

Post#222 » by Reign23 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:14 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Reign23 wrote:
GONYK wrote:I don't think that's a safe assumption.

We should be looking to upgrade all those guys.

I don't know how, tho.
Trent Jr. and Ball were my major targets, but the deadline deal and no-deal pretty much tells us their next team.
Kawhi not happening. DeRozan a bad fit. I am very meh on Schröder and Dinwiddie.
I really think it is hard to get better players than the 3 we already have tbh. And no, I don't think we will get an upgrade via draft either.

I'd say the correct answer is GONYK, but some of the FA's you mention might be coming here. Well, GONYK is partially correct.

I think it's somewhat safe to assume Rose, Burks and Bullocks will be back.
At least 2/3.

But Reign is off assuming the Knicks will just go and distribute contracts of length to any of them.
Knicks are looking to maintain cap flexibility and I guess be FA players in 2022, but also with the ability to trade for "disgruntled star" at any time before then - 2021 offseason, 2021-22 deadline, 2022 offseason.

They'll bring back some of those guys but on team friendly deals.
I think Rose wants to come back, will accept a fair deal, maybe take an increase to keep it to 1 year.
Knicks need a backup PG; can't assume IQ will be ready to start next year. One of the few Knicks who can get to the rim
Burks & Bullocks - might come down to 1 out of 2, but who knows.
Taj & Noel - same thing. Depends what other bigs are available.

And I think Trent Jr is still possible, though it would take a possible overpay, so there's that.
Ball is also still possible. Depends on other potential trades and price. Feels somewhat more likely than Trent Jr.

think Bullock and Rose on fair 2 year deals is probably realistic. Burks is playing himself out of this range.
formerly known as knickst4pe
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,358

Post#223 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:23 pm

Reign23 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Reign23 wrote:I don't know how, tho.

I'd say the correct answer is GONYK, but some of the FA's you mention might be coming here. Well, GONYK is partially correct.

I think it's somewhat safe to assume Rose, Burks and Bullocks will be back.
At least 2/3.

But Reign is off assuming the Knicks will just go and distribute contracts of length to any of them.
Knicks are looking to maintain cap flexibility and I guess be FA players in 2022, but also with the ability to trade for "disgruntled star" at any time before then - 2021 offseason, 2021-22 deadline, 2022 offseason.

They'll bring back some of those guys but on team friendly deals.
I think Rose wants to come back, will accept a fair deal, maybe take an increase to keep it to 1 year.
Knicks need a backup PG; can't assume IQ will be ready to start next year. One of the few Knicks who can get to the rim
Burks & Bullocks - might come down to 1 out of 2, but who knows.
Taj & Noel - same thing. Depends what other bigs are available.

And I think Trent Jr is still possible, though it would take a possible overpay, so there's that.
Ball is also still possible. Depends on other potential trades and price. Feels somewhat more likely than Trent Jr.

think Bullock and Rose on fair 2 year deals is probably realistic. Burks is playing himself out of this range.

I disagree on Burks.

This is who he is and has been, yet there he was for the Knicks at 1 year, 6 million.

Might the Knicks consider giving him 2 years if other guys stay at 1 year? Maybe. They aren't doing more than that and I'd be surprised if another team did, but who knows? Maybe Houston would. Or Minny. They've both been doing really stupid stuff the last couple of years.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,520

Post#224 » by Chanel Bomber » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:25 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:Even this form of Boogie offensively could open a lot for our team

And this form of Boogie defensively would open a lot more for the other team.

The team chemistry is good, why risk messing it up for a player who's a shell of himself and never contributed to winning in his prime?

Easy pass for me.

Show me the numbers that say they were bad b/c of him.

We give up a ton of our own offense for Noel. This would be sacrificing the other side, in theory. There’s time that could be what we need

No such stat exists.

But since you mentioned offense, Boogie's TS% for the season is .511, which is absolutely atrocious for a center. So how does he even help us offensively?

He's horrible. On both ends.

Also, you want RJ, IQ and the young guys to develop and have the ball in their hands, right? Noel has a 9.6 USG% and doesn't complain about touches. Boogie had a 22.7 USG% just this season with Houston. So you can kiss some of RJ's touches goodbye with Boogie on the team.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,445

Post#225 » by robillionaire » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:30 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:And this form of Boogie defensively would open a lot more for the other team.

The team chemistry is good, why risk messing it up for a player who's a shell of himself and never contributed to winning in his prime?

Easy pass for me.

We give up a ton of our own offense for Noel. This would be sacrificing the other side, in theory. There’s time that could be what we need

No such stat exists.

But since you mentioned offense, Boogie's TS% for the season is .511, which is absolutely atrocious for a center. So how does he even help us offensively?

Also, you want RJ, IQ and the young guys to develop and have the ball in their hands, right? Noel has a 9.6 USG% and doesn't complain about touches. Boogie had a 22.7 USG% just this season with Houston. So you can kiss some of RJ's touches goodbye with Boogie on the team.

Agreed, and Drummond is pretty similar to Cousins as far as not great on defense and his usage rate is even higher than Cousins. At least Cousins tries to spread the floor. Not to say they couldn't be useful here, honestly we just need a big body, but Thibs is the coach and we have a grit and grind defensive philosophy, it only makes sense to target Dieng over these two
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#226 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:31 pm

robillionaire wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

No such stat exists.

Agreed, and Drummond is pretty similar to Cousins as far as not great on defense and his usage rate is even higher than Cousins. At least Cousins tries to spread the floor. Not to say they couldn't be useful here, honestly we just need a big body, but Thibs is the coach and we have a grit and grind defensive philosophy, it only makes sense to target Dieng over these two

So the Knicks will be carry 4 not that useful offensively C's on the roster? Good times. I mean, I know Mitch is out for the year, but still.

Noel, Taj and Dung? Sheesh.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#227 » by Chanel Bomber » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:33 pm

robillionaire wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

No such stat exists.

Agreed.

Dieng has the merit of being low-risk. I'm all for it.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#228 » by Chanel Bomber » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:34 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:No such stat exists.

So the Knicks will be carry 4 not that useful offensively C's on the roster? Good times. I mean, I know Mitch is out for the year, but still.

"Not that useful" is better than "aggressively harmful".
HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 28,925

Post#229 » by HerSports85 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:35 pm

Read on Twitter
BAF: Chicago Bulls
2023 In-season tournament Champs
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#230 » by robillionaire » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:39 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:No such stat exists.

I swear I'm not trying to keep dunking on Mitch but he also sucks on offense, he averages 8 ppg on putbacks and occasional lobs. He has no post game, no hook shot, no jumper, nothing. Dieng can actually make 3s. And honestly we don't even need offense from the center position, imo. Rim protection is more important for our style of play (trying to hold the opponent under 100 points)
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,083

Post#231 » by stuporman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:47 pm

Sometimes things happening are just an incredibly unfortunate turn of events and not a harbinger of something more....I'm not sure people need to read too much into Mitch's situation.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,503

Post#232 » by KnicksGod » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:51 pm

Dieng seems like the smartest bet. Get it done.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#233 » by dakomish23 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:52 pm

robillionaire wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

I swear I'm not trying to keep dunking on Mitch but he also sucks on offense, he averages 8 ppg on putbacks and occasional lobs. He has no post game, no hook shot, no jumper, nothing. Dieng can actually make 3s. And honestly we don't even need offense from the center position, imo. Rim protection is more important for our style of play (trying to hold the opponent under 100 points)

Are you seriously using how many points he averages as proof he sucks on offense?

He shoots 5.7 & makes 3.7 of them. He also is an actual release valve for our perimeter players instead of fumbling the ball. And he doesn’t constantly clog the lane when the guy drives but instead either boxes his man out to take him out of the play or stays at angle that doesn’t let his man defend the driver.

Noel actively holds back the offense.

Mitch helps the offense.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,503

Post#234 » by KnicksGod » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:55 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:And this form of Boogie defensively would open a lot more for the other team.

Easy pass for me.

No such stat exists.

Also Noel makes the most of his touches. For every touch, the ball gets loose so he can touch it again, then again, then again, before we lose possession. He averages 3.5 touches per pass.
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#235 » by robillionaire » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:59 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Are you seriously using how many points he averages as proof he sucks on offense?

He shoots 5.7 & makes 3.7 of them. He also is an actual release valve for our perimeter players instead of fumbling the ball. And he doesn’t constantly clog the lane when the guy drives but instead either boxes his man out to take him out of the play or stays at angle that doesn’t let his man defend the driver.

Noel actively holds back the offense.

Mitch helps the offense.

No? I told you the reasons he sucks on offense immediately after the points he averages. He doesn't have an offensive game

Trying to compare his offense to Noel to make it look better by comparison is an interesting way to approach it but it doesn't make him have an offensive game
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,083

Post#236 » by stuporman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:14 pm

Thinking about it.... if Boogie could buy in to what Thibs is building here and accept his role without causing any chemistry issues the amount of skill and ability he could bring to a reserve role off the bench might really help the Knicks finish this season strong.

Maybe the Kentucky brotherhood around the Knicks and him wanting to end his career in respectability with a positive impact might allow him to humble himself to contribute to this special feeling team. I don't know if this is possible with him but I don't know if him on an easily disposable vetmin deal is too much of a risk.

But I suspect that the Knicks will go with a more 'stable' yet less interesting end of the bench scrubby big that rarely if ever sees the floor.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,328

Post#237 » by Deeeez Knicks » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:16 pm

Some of these... :lol:
Read on Twitter
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#238 » by robillionaire » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:18 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Some of these... :lol:
Read on Twitter

well this is hilarious, gonna have to subscribe
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#239 » by robillionaire » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:20 pm

Dieng going to the Spurs, yeah the pickings are getting slim
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#240 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:54 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

"Not that useful" is better than "aggressively harmful".

Enjoy your Dung

Return to New York Knicks