ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA - More Blessings For Everyone

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,345

Re: Around the NBA - More Blessings For Everyone 

Post#281 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:07 am

Capn'O wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Capn'O wrote:His release and form are a lot better now. Still not a major threat to get to the cup. I would have tried to get him. He's a really smart player and excellent passer.

What I see with Lonzo is quick decision making. It makes up for the simplicity and lack of razzle dazzle. He's shooting his threes quickly. No hesitation. He flips his passes quickly without telegraphing them. Whether it is a simple rotation pass or a bullet pass, it is done cleanly and effectively.

What we're seeing is experience kicking in. He knows what to do so he doesn't dick around. Payton is literally the opposite of Lonzo :lol:

Lonzo is actually a very good fit with RJ and Randle.

I agree. Very in the pocket player. What I am talking about is a physical limitation though. He really struggles to get all the way in and that cap to his north south movement puts a limitation on how good he can be.

Right, I'd basically NOT expect too much from him in terms of breaking down defenses. I can see the argument against signing him since you'd be rolling the dice on him being the glue that runs the team for the next four years. By doing so you basically preclude having the cap space for a more dynamic lead PG that can break open games on occasion.

The primary selling point is the combination of solid three point shooting plus good fundamental passing skills generates the spacing needed to get his higher usage teammates the ball in optimal scoring position.

RJ and Randle like to attack the rim quite a bit already so I think a guard hell bent on penetration is not the primary consideration.

What's more important IMO is superior PnR skills. I think someone posted a while back that Lonzo is not particularly good at PnR, but I don't know if that is actually true. But I think that is what is sorely lacking from our current backcourt. RJ and Randle need a PnR PG very badly. It will eliminate half of their dribbling and get more offensive flow by getting the ball delivered to them in the flow. Both guys work too hard to get their points off, though Randle has become vastly better at creating his own shots than he was last year.
ImageImageImage
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,835

Post#282 » by spree2kawhi » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:38 am

I still don't like Lonzo and we can also not sign him while not bringing back Payton. This isn't a one way lane.
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,779

Post#283 » by aggo » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:14 am

Read on Twitter
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,126

Post#284 » by Juco24 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:42 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Whatever Lonzo asks for and gets will be considered too much by half the people that post here, then the same folks will complain when we bring back Payton because there are no PGs on the market.

:nod:
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,126

Post#285 » by Juco24 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:09 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
What I see with Lonzo is quick decision making. It makes up for the simplicity and lack of razzle dazzle. He's shooting his threes quickly. No hesitation. He flips his passes quickly without telegraphing them. Whether it is a simple rotation pass or a bullet pass, it is done cleanly and effectively.

What we're seeing is experience kicking in. He knows what to do so he doesn't dick around. Payton is literally the opposite of Lonzo :lol:

I agree. Very in the pocket player. What I am talking about is a physical limitation though. He really struggles to get all the way in and that cap to his north south movement puts a limitation on how good he can be.

Right, I'd basically NOT expect too much from him in terms of breaking down defenses. I can see the argument against signing him since you'd be rolling the dice on him being the glue that runs the team for the next four years. By doing so you basically preclude having the cap space for a more dynamic lead PG that can break open games on occasion.

The primary selling point is the combination of solid three point shooting plus good fundamental passing skills generates the spacing needed to get his higher usage teammates the ball in optimal scoring position.

RJ and Randle like to attack the rim quite a bit already so I think a guard hell bent on penetration is not the primary consideration.

What's more important IMO is superior PnR skills. I think someone posted a while back that Lonzo is not particularly good at PnR, but I don't know if that is actually true. But I think that is what is sorely lacking from our current backcourt. RJ and Randle need a PnR PG very badly. It will eliminate half of their dribbling and get more offensive flow by getting the ball delivered to them in the flow. Both guys work too hard to get their points off, though Randle has become vastly better at creating his own shots than he was last year.

From what I've seen, he's a good PnR guy.. especially since his shot has improved. He's a good defender and obviously a great passer. He should be priority #1. From our draft position, I like Duarte from Oregon. In any case, Lonzo just solves so many problems imo. I'd say he's a difference maker and worth the 80 mil
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,342

Post#286 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:50 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Regarding part of the first point, we could still get a dynamic PG like Lilliard or more of a SG in Lavine and pair them next to Ball and it could work well. Ball being 6'6" gives us versatility to pair him next to a variety of different players.

We could also be set up with $30 to $40 mil of cap space in '22 which would include cap holds for Mitch and Randle and assuming $22mil for Ball. We could def be in position for a max still. I think its a good window and time to add some salary and another piece especially since Mitch's cap hold is so cheap (less then $4mil). But if we decide to pay Mitch and then we will have to re-up RJ, that extra window to add another piece shrinks in '23.

Worst case I think Ball would be pretty flippable too since teams are always looking for players with his skill set.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,342

Post#287 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:42 pm

We should have about $60mil in cap space this offseason so plenty to spend now. On the books '22 we have:

Randle - $29,700,000 (cap hold)
RJ - $10,900,635
Mitch - $3,423,908 (cap hold)
Quickley - $2,316,240 "
Obi - $5,348,280

Total: $49,372,823.00

Add picks, cap holds and say we sign Lonzo for $22mil we are at about $84mil with $31mil in cap space in 2022.

The Key is Mitch's low cap hold. If/when we resign him in '22 it'll eat into some of our cap space. If a max cat wants to join, we can easily move Obi and/or some of our picks and have closer to $40mil for a max. Adding $20-$25mil into our '22 cap and we should be in the range where we are close enough to make it happen.

I love Lonzo as a target since he fills a big need now and will help the team take another step. Plus he is young enough to keep improving his game. He allows us some versatility with who our next target is. Mitch/Randle/RJ/Ball w/ Quickley as a 6th man. Can pretty much go after PG, SG, or wings and it could all fit. Lonzo's ability to play off the ball well works as a strength since ideally the true max guy we go after will be a legit #1 option that works with the ball.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,081

Post#288 » by DaGawd » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:49 pm

Lonzo was incredible last night
BaF
Washington Wizards
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,216

Post#289 » by Capn'O » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:54 pm

I tried to tell y'all!

BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#290 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:04 pm

Juco24 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

From what I've seen, he's a good PnR guy.. especially since his shot has improved. He's a good defender and obviously a great passer. He should be priority #1. From our draft position, I like Duarte from Oregon. In any case, Lonzo just solves so many problems imo. I'd say he's a difference maker and worth the 80 mil

I think his being a big guy capable of defending does compute. I'd sign him and still hope to land an excellent PG prospect in the draft. Can never have too much PG talent IMO. This franchise has been frustrating because it has never had any depth there since the 90s.
ImageImageImage
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#291 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:07 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Regarding part of the first point, we could still get a dynamic PG like Lilliard or more of a SG in Lavine and pair them next to Ball and it could work well. Ball being 6'6" gives us versatility to pair him next to a variety of different players.

We could also be set up with $30 to $40 mil of cap space in '22 which would include cap holds for Mitch and Randle and assuming $22mil for Ball. We could def be in position for a max still. I think its a good window and time to add some salary and another piece especially since Mitch's cap hold is so cheap (less then $4mil). But if we decide to pay Mitch and then we will have to re-up RJ, that extra window to add another piece shrinks in '23.

Worst case I think Ball would be pretty flippable too since teams are always looking for players with his skill set.

There is a point when you do have to spend some of your cap space. As long as the premise is RJ and Randle are being built around, then Lonzo works. And being a tradeable contract is a key point. He would not be an albatross signing. If we draft a better PG or we can attract a Lillard type, then Lonzo is very tradeable. Look at what Jrue just got. Clubs will pay for those skills, especially if Lonzo continues to make small improvements.
ImageImageImage
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,382

Post#292 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:21 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
DickGrayson wrote:JRue is worth every dollar if you actually watch him play. He plays both ends on an elite level. Can be a pure PG or switch up as a combo. He shoots high FG%, has a post game. He's really a humble complete PG. Doesn't play for stats or needs high usage to be effective.

Who else Mil is going to sign in the FA better than him? Ya roast them for how much they pay him but its a small market, a guy like Jrue who's in his prime is really the best value they'll get for money.

Bulls looking strong btw and will probably past the Knicks in the standings if they stay healthy. The additions of Vucci man and Theis Theis Baby really strengthens their frontcourt. Nets were struggling to contain the paint and Lavine will feast. Bulls will be a top 3-5 team next season as good as PHI if they keep their core and develop Williams further. Lavine is a great SG and Vucci is the best kind of big he can run with, low usage can score anywhere rebound and pass.

Was there a path to resign Brogdan and then use the difference on another good player? If possible, maybe they should have done that.

If not, it's really a matter of capping out with one or the other, then yeah, edge Holiday. But he also cost picks, not like the Bucks picks are great since they'll be good, but it's an all in move then.

Maybe they could have kept Brogdan. But given where there were yesterday I think this is about as good a move as they can make to try to keep as competitive as they can for the next four years.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,936

Post#293 » by F N 11 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:45 pm

RHODEY wrote:
F N 11 wrote:At this point Pelicans matching lol

Should of just gave up a first. Thibs not playing rookies anyway.

They had the chance to extend him and they did not. So now you expect them tomatch whatever teams are willing to pay?

Yeah if he continues shooting like a mad man.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,936

Post#294 » by F N 11 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:47 pm

Capn'O wrote:I tried to tell y'all!

Everybody doing what they want against Rockets.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,216

Post#295 » by Capn'O » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:21 pm

F N 11 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:I tried to tell y'all!

Everybody doing what they want against Rockets.

He's doing it against everyone.

He's shooting 45% on threes for the year with a 61% TS. 18ppg/36 mins. This while being a ball hawk and decent playmaker. The Grizz are 12+ ppg better with him on the court than off. And he's still only 22.

Melton aka Baby Lowry is awesome.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,398

Post#296 » by dakomish23 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:42 pm

Read on Twitter
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,110

Post#297 » by sol537 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:48 pm

Off-season options:

-Sign Lonzo to a poison-pill contract to force S&T with the Pels
-Trade youth/pick for Melton (though Grizz just locked him up long-term so unlikely unless he demands a trade in order to get a starting role with us, which is possible)
-Trade for Brogdon if he wants out

There are options...
Dave DaButcher
Sixth Man
And1: 4,296

Post#298 » by Dave DaButcher » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Are we overvaluing Lonzo??
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,382

Post#299 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:51 pm

Dave DaButcher wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Are we overvaluing Lonzo??

I don't believe that for one second. Makes zero sense for either team.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,398

Post#300 » by dakomish23 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:10 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
Read on Twitter

I cannot believe people on here were calling it a bad trade because of his first game.

I can :lol:

The only reason it was a bad trade is b/c we didn’t do it. If we did the same exact deal it would LMFRB threads
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit

Return to New York Knicks