ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks Mavs PG: The friends along the way

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,643

Re: Knicks Mavs PG: The friends along the way 

Post#381 » by mpharris36 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:05 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Yea, he has carved out a really nice career. Just a real smart and savy player that is extremely efficient. Does a lot of things well that we could use. Small sample size, but in 10 games as a starter avg 17ppg with crazy efficiency

He won't be a free agent until 2022 though?

yes but the good thing because the way the mavs structured the contract (and his agent) it wont be a play option for the 4th year it was a non guaranteed 4th year. He wont be a RFA like Mitch. Brunson for all intensive purposes is an UFA in 2022.

For example I would easily trade the mavs first rounder back to get Brunson (in the offseason) so that we can work on a deal to agree and sign him into cap space for example.

I wonder what the Mavs plans are and if they would trade him? Or what kind of contract he will be looking at in '22? I dont even think we could get him for the Mavs pick though. If they did trade him, they would probably want a player that can help them win now.

Knicks obviously have a line into Brunson so maybe he would want to come as UFA. But then it also depends on the price and who else we may get.

My thought was that if the Mavs don't have any rights over him they might way to get something of value for him before he walks for nothing. You are right they might value a vet for a more win now piece which could open up 3-way trade scenariors for a team looking for draft pick compensation. I think they also have Terry waiting in the wings potentially as well. He kinda fits exactly what we are looking for. And he can maybe be FVV type before we actually have to pay him a FVV type contract.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,451

Post#382 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:35 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
yes but the good thing because the way the mavs structured the contract (and his agent) it wont be a play option for the 4th year it was a non guaranteed 4th year. He wont be a RFA like Mitch. Brunson for all intensive purposes is an UFA in 2022.

For example I would easily trade the mavs first rounder back to get Brunson (in the offseason) so that we can work on a deal to agree and sign him into cap space for example.

I wonder what the Mavs plans are and if they would trade him? Or what kind of contract he will be looking at in '22? I dont even think we could get him for the Mavs pick though. If they did trade him, they would probably want a player that can help them win now.

Knicks obviously have a line into Brunson so maybe he would want to come as UFA. But then it also depends on the price and who else we may get.

My thought was that if the Mavs don't have any rights over him they might way to get something of value for him before he walks for nothing. You are right they might value a vet for a more win now piece which could open up 3-way trade scenariors for a team looking for draft pick compensation. I think they also have Terry waiting in the wings potentially as well. He kinda fits exactly what we are looking for. And he can maybe be FVV type before we actually have to pay him a FVV type contract.

Yea, worth keeping an eye out for sure to see if he comes available. As much as I like Brunson there are some downsides. I dont know how much Brunson/Quickley fit together on the defensive side since they are both a little bit undersized. Brunson isn't someone that is gonna create a lot of offense either. But he will play smart, can run sets and score efficiently which we can def use.

Overall I would still go after Ball but if we miss then maybe Brunson becomes a backup plan.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#383 » by mpharris36 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:39 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Yea, worth keeping an eye out for sure to see if he comes available. As much as I like Brunson there are some downsides. I dont know how much Brunson/Quickley fit together on the defensive side since they are both a little bit undersized. Brunson isn't someone that is gonna create a lot of offense either. But he will play smart, can run sets and score efficiently which we can def use.

Overall I would still go after Ball but if we miss then maybe Brunson becomes a backup plan.

See I think Brunson has more potentially as a playmaker then ball because of Brunson ability to get into the paint and create off the dribble. I just think because he plays with Luka he has to resort to more of a secondary guy when he probably would blossom as a main playmaker because he is so efficient with his touches now. I think in 5 games without Luka he is 20-4-4 on 56% from the field....impressive for a young guard.

Ball is a far superior defender. Also I kinda project IQ off the bench anyways so that really wouldn't bother me much at all that they don't fit ideally on defense.

Brunson
3/D 2 guard
RJ
Randle
Mitch

would have a lot of potential IMO. I'm very high on Brunson in terms of taking that next step when he is giving a larger role.

ROSTER

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,451

Post#384 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:14 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

See I think Brunson has more potentially as a playmaker then ball because of Brunson ability to get into the paint and create off the dribble. I just think because he plays with Luka he has to resort to more of a secondary guy when he probably would blossom as a main playmaker because he is so efficient with his touches now. I think in 5 games without Luka he is 20-4-4 on 56% from the field....impressive for a young guard.

Ball is a far superior defender. Also I kinda project IQ off the bench anyways so that really wouldn't bother me much at all that they don't fit ideally on defense.

Brunson
3/D 2 guard
RJ
Randle
Mitch

would have a lot of potential IMO. I'm very high on Brunson in terms of taking that next step when he is giving a larger role.

You never know, but I don't really see star potential with Brunson as a primary lead guard if thats what you are saying. He seems more like a really good secondary playmaker so fits pretty nice next to Luka. I do like him a lot and would def take him if we can get him. It seems like the Mavs love him too, so will be tough to pry him away.

The main reason to go after Ball is he is a free agent now and seems more available. He's a better shooter/defender/passer/bigger then Brunson. Brunson gets to the paint and finishes much better then Ball though. I can see the scoring upside.

If we could get Brunson or Ball sign me up. If we could get both for the right price I may even do that since they can play on or off the ball. We could def use multiple good PGs and shouldnt be any problem to move either in the future.

If we can get Ball now, I would not pass it up. Def need to upgrade the PG position.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#385 » by mpharris36 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:20 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Brunson
3/D 2 guard
RJ
Randle
Mitch

You never know, but I don't really see star potential with Brunson as a primary lead guard if thats what you are saying. He seems more like a really good secondary playmaker so fits pretty nice next to Luka. I do like him a lot and would def take him if we can get him. It seems like the Mavs love him too, so will be tough to pry him away.

The main reason to go after Ball is he is a free agent now and seems more available. He's a better shooter/defender/passer/bigger then Brunson. Brunson gets to the paint and finishes much better then Ball though. I can see the scoring upside.

If we could get Brunson or Ball sign me up. If we could get both for the right price I may even do that since they can play on or off the ball. We could def use multiple good PGs and shouldnt be any problem to move either in the future.

If we can get Ball now, I would not pass it up. Def need to upgrade the PG position.

I think we all agree that whether its Ball or Brunson either one is a massive upgrade over what we have now.

ROSTER

Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,457

Post#386 » by Swish1906 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:42 am

The Mavs arent letting Brunson walk in 2020, he made huge improvements this year and is also a textbook Carlisle player. They pay him. He runs the offense alone when Luka sits but also has great chemistry playing alongside Luka. More and more often he finishes games in crunchtime ahead of Richardson or THJ. Wouldnt be surprised if he is soon a starter in Dallas. And i also dont know why he would consider leaving the Mavs, specially for the Knicks. Not here to bash but the Luka Mavs are a future contender and Brunson probably soon a starter on this contender. Just cant see him leaving...

Do have the Knicks any plans with Frank? What would be the amount they wont match? Allready like a 3y/15m contract? I like the idea of having him on the Mavs for defensive purposes...

Return to New York Knicks