ImageImageImageImageImage

I think that this was the game where Obi turned his season around

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Spot31
Pro Prospect
And1: 527

Re: I think that this was the game where Obi turned his season around 

Post#41 » by Spot31 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:37 am

evevale wrote:And then he played 5 minutes the next game because coach Thibs.

2021 Coach of the Year Tom Thibodeau
"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope." Rom. 5: 2-4
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#42 » by BugginOut » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:43 am

Yeah I like Knox and think he’s a good kid, but I think his time here is done.

Obi has touch around the rim and has been looking serviceable on defense. He’s a consistent corner 3 from being a high end bench player/starter. Got to develop him and give up on Knox
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,559

Post#43 » by KnixtapeH20 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:51 am

BugginOut wrote:Yeah I like Knox and think he’s a good kid, but I think his time here is done.

Obi has touch around the rim and has been looking serviceable on defense. He’s a consistent corner 3 from being a high end bench player/starter. Got to develop him and give up on Knox

Yup needs a change of sceneryandnew coaches to give him a chance. Not happening here with this cat. I never thought Knox was going to be special but he could be a decent player if givent he chance. Frank has even more talent just gets no shot. This was the year too. Ridiculous
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#44 » by blueNorange » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:58 am

it's a at a point where thibs will blame a blown assignment by burks on obi.

the kid has been playing better, and instead of giving him more minutes(especially when randle has been banged up, shooting poorly) it gives you a bigger reason to give the kid more minutes

chit makes zero sense.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#45 » by KnixtapeH20 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:02 am

blueNorange wrote:it's a at a point where thibs will blame a blown assignment by burks on obi.

the kid has been playing better, and instead of giving him more minutes(especially when randle has been banged up, shooting poorly) it gives you a bigger reason to give the kid more minutes

chit makes zero sense.

He does the same exact thing with Quick.
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#46 » by BugginOut » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:03 am

blueNorange wrote:it's a at a point where thibs will blame a blown assignment by burks on obi.

chit makes zero sense.

I think he was trying to bring in Knox for spacing because we were on a scoring slump. But still Obi is just a more effective player at this point. Knox can hit open 3s but he still is meh on defense. Unless he takes a huge leap on that end Obi should get the nod
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#47 » by KnixtapeH20 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:06 am

BugginOut wrote:

chit makes zero sense.

I think he was trying to bring in Knox for spacing because we were on a scoring slump. But still Obi is just a more effective player at this point. Knox can hit open 3s but he still is meh on defense. Unless he takes a huge leap on that end Obi should get the nod

Maybe at a certain point in the game u could make that case but not when he played 5 minutes and did nothing to deserve being iced.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Re: I think that was the game where Obi turned his season around 

Post#48 » by dakomish23 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:27 pm

TKKnicks1 wrote:The kid just needs minutes man. How do you expect him to better his game when he's not given enough game minutes. He needs a solid 20-25 minutes a night to continuously work on his skills.

And please let him get more minutes next to Randle and RJB
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,148

Post#49 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:29 pm

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#50 » by dakomish23 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:30 pm

BugginOut wrote:Yeah I like Knox and think he’s a good kid, but I think his time here is done.

I wonder which team is going to take a swing on Knox. I'm not sure if it would be better for his development to go play with a monster alpha like Lebron and be role player with specific duties, or for him to go to a rebuilding franchise where he can spread his wings more without the fear of being pulled for every mistake
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
NewKnicks
Sixth Man
And1: 756

Post#51 » by NewKnicks » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:51 pm

Yep, still a bust. He's looking like a scrub, end of the bench player for his career.

Can he go back to college, get another 3 years in, and actually pay attention this time to the basics of basketball?
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#52 » by KnixtapeH20 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:03 pm

NewKnicks wrote:Yep, still a bust. He's looking like a scrub, end of the bench player for his career.

Can he go back to college, get another 3 years in, and actually pay attention this time to the basics of basketball?

Not even close bro. Lol you'll see

Kid needs a chance. Experience is everything. repetition. He has touch on his shot.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#53 » by NewKnicks » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:15 pm

5 mins two points against the Raptors, first game after the game that he 'turned his season around' by hitting two free throws.

9 mins 3 points the next game against the Lakers.

Did he shoot any airballs? I didn't watch the entire lakers or raptors games. Only about a half of each.

Love the overhyping, though!
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,200

Post#54 » by DOT » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:20 pm

NewKnicks wrote:5 mins two points against the Raptors, first game after the game that he 'turned his season around' by hitting two free throws.

Did he shoot any airballs? I didn't watch the entire lakers or raptors games. Only about a half of each.

I mean, this is kind of a disingenuous argument

Really says more about Thibs than anything

He finally has a good game, then gets 5 minutes the next game, not cause he was that bad in those 5 minutes, but because Thibs.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#55 » by NewKnicks » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:38 pm

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:Yep, still a bust. He's looking like a scrub, end of the bench player for his career.

Not even close bro. Lol you'll see

Oh yes.. a touch that leads to a lot of airballs or shots banging of the side of the rim or high off the backboard
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#56 » by KnixtapeH20 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:38 pm

NewKnicks wrote:5 mins two points against the Raptors, first game after the game that he 'turned his season around' by hitting two free throws.

Who is overhyping him even a little bit?

From everything we hear the kid stays ready works hard, stays late, tries to be a sponge.... He's bot getting rewarded for improved play. I don't why u expect this kid to become a great player with inconsistent and head scratching minutes/rotations.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#57 » by NewKnicks » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:42 pm

K-DOT wrote:

I mean, this is kind of a disingenuous argument

Really says more about Thibs than anything

He finally has a good game, then gets 5 minutes the next game, not cause he was that bad in those 5 minutes, but because Thibs.

We're calling 8 pts a good game now? That's setting the bar pretty low, isn't it? It's better to say he had a good game for him.

So if a player continues to get very low minutes, it's always the coaches fault? Maybe he sucks in practice too. That's a very good possibility.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#58 » by NewKnicks » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:45 pm

KnixtapeH20 wrote:

Who is overhyping him even a little bit?

From everything we hear the kid stays ready works hard, stays late, tries to be a sponge.... He's bot getting rewarded for improved play. I don't why u expect this kid to become a great player with inconsistent and head scratching minutes/rotations.

Maybe, just maybe the coaching staff knows more than you do.

And yes, overhyping. "The game that turned his season around" is overhyping. But we always do that here with every scrub we have. It's nothing new.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,200

Post#59 » by DOT » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:48 pm

NewKnicks wrote:So if a player continues to get very low minutes, it's always the coaches fault? Maybe he sucks in practice too. That's a very good possibility.

Well, you have to look at the context of it, especially with Thibs' tendencies

Thibs tends to overplay his starters, and since Obi is backing up our best player and can't play next to him cause they're not versatile positionally (which is a criticism of the FO, but not super relevant for this discussion), then he's naturally not gonna get many minutes cause Thibs is gonna want Randle out there as much as possible (which is backed up by the stats). So if Randle is gonna play 36-38 minutes a night, Obi's really only gonna get 10-12 minutes max regardless of how well he plays

If we had a different coach, or Thibs was more willing to experiment with smaller lineups (especially against the Lakers when they play lineups where their only big is Montrezl), Obi would likely get more minutes. Just looking at his advanced stats as well as the eye test from the last few games says he's not being benched for performance reasons, but for coaching reasons.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,579

Post#60 » by Capn'O » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:50 pm

Damn Buzz at least put that in a spoiler.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:

Return to New York Knicks