ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In

Moderators: K-DOT, Deeeez Knicks, Capn'O, Thugger HBC, j4remi, Jeff Van Gully, mrpoetryNmotion, mpharris36, NoLayupRule, King of Canada, GONYK

User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 68,396
And1: 33,844
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#101 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:04 am

The store owner who called the police on Floyd now says that he regrets doing so because he said that, at the time, he thought that they would come and help, it kill Floyd.
Image
KnicksGadfly
General Manager
Posts: 8,875
And1: 5,293
Joined: Jul 29, 2007
Location: Rent Free
   

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#102 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:55 am

br7knicks wrote:
denterprise wrote:Thank God! About time a dirty cop is convicted of murder.


this was my hope for this. i want it to be an eye opener for all of the dirty and **** police officers out there.


the vast majority of police are great people who want to help. but for those **** ones, i hope this teaches them that they need to fix themselves, or get the **** out.


I wish this were true but I don’t see these police speaking up when things like this happen. I see most of them actively antagonistic against Black Lives Matter.
Commander of the Dallas Tank!

The mission: to end false narratives about the Knicks

Example of Fake Narratives:
-The Melo era should be celebrated
-Phil Jackson was a good GM
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
Posts: 8,403
And1: 3,736
Joined: Apr 08, 2011

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#103 » by Sprewell4Three » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:45 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
What? Another police murder? Already?

Please post a link.


No need to waste your time on that one buddy. Homegirl was about to stab another girl and the cop shot her. Nothing to see her ,Next!


Meh, not so fast. Isn't this what a Taser is for? Furthermore, this is why we need mental health responders in charge when the local law enforcement is called on what is clearly a mental health event. And I haven't even really started looking into this yet.


Really?
Tasers are not always effective. Those prongs don’t always stick on to the clothes. I’ve seen enough body cam videos where somebody was tased and not feel anything but get more angrier. This situation was different, The young lady was about to kill the other girl by trying to aim the knife to her neck.

If that was my daughter about to be stabbed I would commend the cop for saving her life. Unfortunately the cop had to use deadly force, but at the same time these are split second decisions.
User avatar
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
Posts: 31,849
And1: 7,916
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
     

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#104 » by br7knicks » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:22 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
denterprise wrote:Thank God! About time a dirty cop is convicted of murder.


this was my hope for this. i want it to be an eye opener for all of the dirty and **** police officers out there.


the vast majority of police are great people who want to help. but for those **** ones, i hope this teaches them that they need to fix themselves, or get the **** out.


I wish this were true but I don’t see these police speaking up when things like this happen. I see most of them actively antagonistic against Black Lives Matter.


That sucks that that's been your experiences.


It's definitely true from my experiences and my non-white friends. We've had nothing but good experiences with them.

When we talk with police officers about this, whether it's just me or with my non-white friends, they say the vast majority support it and they just want to help and protect.

They often say it's the loudest, problem ones that get the most attention, but the vast majority are good people and support activists and protesters. Most police hope to go through their careers without ever firing their weapons.

So that sucks that that's your experience. But the vast majority want to help others. Every single one I've talked about can't stand chauvin and are glad he's getting what's coming to him. The majority want good things, too.
Rest in Peace, magnumt. 2019

Youtube: No Blood, No Foul Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
Knicks RealGM Podcast - No Blood, No Foul: soundcloud.com/nbnf-53719535
NYKAL
General Manager
Posts: 8,628
And1: 2,156
Joined: Nov 10, 2004
Location: LAND O NOD

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#105 » by NYKAL » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:07 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
No need to waste your time on that one buddy. Homegirl was about to stab another girl and the cop shot her. Nothing to see her ,Next!


Meh, not so fast. Isn't this what a Taser is for? Furthermore, this is why we need mental health responders in charge when the local law enforcement is called on what is clearly a mental health event. And I haven't even really started looking into this yet.


Really?
Tasers are not always effective. Those prongs don’t always stick on to the clothes. I’ve seen enough body cam videos where somebody was tased and not feel anything but get more angrier. This situation was different, The young lady was about to kill the other girl by trying to aim the knife to her neck.

If that was my daughter about to be stabbed I would commend the cop for saving her life. Unfortunately the cop had to use deadly force, but at the same time these are split second decisions.



you do not employ a taser when stopping someone who is about to employ lethal force against someone else. Sometimes tasers aren't EFFECTIVE. I've seen people shrug that shyt right off and not all of them were big dudes. Takes just enough crazy it seems to shrug it off. Old Girl was trying to air someone else out...like someone else said, nothing to see here
User avatar
Fat Kat
RealGM
Posts: 28,371
And1: 20,333
Joined: Apr 19, 2004
     

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#106 » by Fat Kat » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:27 pm

br7knicks wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
this was my hope for this. i want it to be an eye opener for all of the dirty and **** police officers out there.


the vast majority of police are great people who want to help. but for those **** ones, i hope this teaches them that they need to fix themselves, or get the **** out.


I wish this were true but I don’t see these police speaking up when things like this happen. I see most of them actively antagonistic against Black Lives Matter.


That sucks that that's been your experiences.


It's definitely true from my experiences and my non-white friends. We've had nothing but good experiences with them.

When we talk with police officers about this, whether it's just me or with my non-white friends, they say the vast majority support it and they just want to help and protect.

They often say it's the loudest, problem ones that get the most attention, but the vast majority are good people and support activists and protesters. Most police hope to go through their careers without ever firing their weapons.

So that sucks that that's your experience. But the vast majority want to help others. Every single one I've talked about can't stand chauvin and are glad he's getting what's coming to him. The majority want good things, too.


Why don't the vast majority of these "good people" take an active role in rooting out the white supremacists, murderers and "bad apples" they work with every day? The problems are baked into police culture and allowed to fester by the cowardly and complicit. That's not even up for debate
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
User avatar
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
Posts: 31,849
And1: 7,916
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
     

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#107 » by br7knicks » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:30 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:
I wish this were true but I don’t see these police speaking up when things like this happen. I see most of them actively antagonistic against Black Lives Matter.


That sucks that that's been your experiences.


It's definitely true from my experiences and my non-white friends. We've had nothing but good experiences with them.

When we talk with police officers about this, whether it's just me or with my non-white friends, they say the vast majority support it and they just want to help and protect.

They often say it's the loudest, problem ones that get the most attention, but the vast majority are good people and support activists and protesters. Most police hope to go through their careers without ever firing their weapons.

So that sucks that that's your experience. But the vast majority want to help others. Every single one I've talked about can't stand chauvin and are glad he's getting what's coming to him. The majority want good things, too.


Why don't the vast majority of these "good people" take an active role in rooting out the white supremacists, murderers and "bad apples" they work with every day? The problems are baked into police culture and allowed to fester by the cowardly and complicit. That's not even up for debate



most likely a fear of losing their job, that's my guess. i think, especially with the outcome of this trial, we'll start to see a change. my hope is that, although it's not at the same level as chauvin, but that the other officers also face punishment. this should start to change what other officers will do as they see one of the bad ones starting to act out.


and things have gotten better amongst police compared to pre-civil rights era. perfect? absolutely not. are there still ****? plenty. but it's better than it was. that's not up for debate, either, if you know your history. ask anyone that lived during the time prior to the civil rights era. things were much worse then.

so change will happen. just hope it happens quicker rather than slower.
Rest in Peace, magnumt. 2019

Youtube: No Blood, No Foul Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
Knicks RealGM Podcast - No Blood, No Foul: soundcloud.com/nbnf-53719535
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 46,270
And1: 36,273
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: JEWISH LASER CLINIC
Contact:
 

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#108 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:28 pm

Biden administration and Merrick Garlard are not wasting time.

A day after the verdict the DOJ announces a probe into the Minny police dept.

They are not settling for Chauvin's conviction. The DOJ is making it clear they are going after his superiors who enabled this conduct in the first place.

I actually think this news may end up being as historically important as the verdict yesterday, because the only way you will get any kind of real reform is from having a DOJ with teeth that takes dismantling institutionalized racism seriously.

It still remains to be seen what the follow-through is, but so far the policies of the white nationalist regime preceding this administration are being steadily dismantled and reversed.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 62,530
And1: 56,460
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: Let's Stop and Get A Hot Dog
 

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#109 » by Capn'O » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:50 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:Biden administration and Merrick Garlard are not wasting time.

A day after the verdict the DOJ announces a probe into the Minny police dept.

They are not settling for Chauvin's conviction. The DOJ is making it clear they are going after his superiors who enabled this conduct in the first place.

I actually think this news may end up being as historically important as the verdict yesterday, because the only way you will get any kind of real reform is from having a DOJ with teeth that takes dismantling institutionalized racism seriously.

It still remains to be seen what the follow-through is, but so far the policies of the white nationalist regime preceding this administration are being steadily dismantled and reversed.


I hope probes like this don't just focus on police violence but get down to the nitty gritty like identifying departments that frequently issue DWB violations. These ticky tack incidents (and how they escalate) erode trust as much as the killings and often lead to them. All of it needs to be weeded out.
BAF Clippers
PG: SGA Conley Chiozza
SG: KCP Melton Bacon
SF: Middleton THT
PF: DFS Bjelica Toliver
C: Vuc Nurkic Holmes

RIP Mags :beer:
"Greatness wasn't worth anything if you couldn't share it."-Kobe
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 46,270
And1: 36,273
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: JEWISH LASER CLINIC
Contact:
 

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#110 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:12 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Biden administration and Merrick Garlard are not wasting time.

A day after the verdict the DOJ announces a probe into the Minny police dept.

They are not settling for Chauvin's conviction. The DOJ is making it clear they are going after his superiors who enabled this conduct in the first place.

I actually think this news may end up being as historically important as the verdict yesterday, because the only way you will get any kind of real reform is from having a DOJ with teeth that takes dismantling institutionalized racism seriously.

It still remains to be seen what the follow-through is, but so far the policies of the white nationalist regime preceding this administration are being steadily dismantled and reversed.


I hope probes like this don't just focus on police violence but get down to the nitty gritty like identifying departments that frequently issue DWB violations. These ticky tack incidents (and how they escalate) erode trust as much as the killings and often lead to them. All of it needs to be weeded out.


Garland quotes in the article below. Seems it is going to be a sweeping, top-down review that I'm pretty sure would include traffic stops.

DOJ To Investigate Minneapolis Police For Possible Patterns Of Excessive Force
https://www.npr.org/sections/trial-over-killing-of-george-floyd/2021/04/21/989446758/doj-to-investigate-minneapolis-police-for-possible-patterns-of-excessive-force
ARTICLE:
Spoiler:
One day after a jury convicted former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin on murder charges, the U.S. Justice Department launched an investigation into possible patterns of discrimination and excessive force among the police department there.

Attorney General Merrick Garland announced the new civil inquiry on Wednesday, the first such "pattern or practice" investigation in the Biden administration, which has pledged to build trust between police and communities.

"Today, I am announcing that the Justice Department has opened a civil investigation to determine whether the Minneapolis Police Department engages in a pattern or practice of unconstitutional or unlawful policing," he said in remarks at the Justice Department.

He said the investigation is separate from the previously announced federal criminal inquiry into George Floyd's death.

"Yesterday's verdict in the state criminal trial does not address potentially systemic policing issues in Minneapolis," Garland said.

He said the investigation will look at the use of excessive force, including during protests, and examine the MPD's accountability systems.

"If the Justice Department concludes that there's reasonable cause to believe there is a pattern or practice of unconstitutional or unlawful policing, we will issue a public report of our conclusions," he said.

The investigation marks a return to increased federal oversight of errant police departments, with a tool the Trump administration used just once in the past four years to examine a small force in Massachusetts. By contrast, during the Obama years, the Justice Department conducted more than two dozen pattern or practice investigations.

Last week, Garland revoked a Trump-era memo that made it more difficult for the Justice Department's civil rights lawyers to reach consent decrees with state and local governments over policing practices and to seek court approval for independent monitors to check whether police departments were honoring the terms of settlements.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 62,530
And1: 56,460
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: Let's Stop and Get A Hot Dog
 

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#111 » by Capn'O » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:03 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Biden administration and Merrick Garlard are not wasting time.

A day after the verdict the DOJ announces a probe into the Minny police dept.

They are not settling for Chauvin's conviction. The DOJ is making it clear they are going after his superiors who enabled this conduct in the first place.

I actually think this news may end up being as historically important as the verdict yesterday, because the only way you will get any kind of real reform is from having a DOJ with teeth that takes dismantling institutionalized racism seriously.

It still remains to be seen what the follow-through is, but so far the policies of the white nationalist regime preceding this administration are being steadily dismantled and reversed.


I hope probes like this don't just focus on police violence but get down to the nitty gritty like identifying departments that frequently issue DWB violations. These ticky tack incidents (and how they escalate) erode trust as much as the killings and often lead to them. All of it needs to be weeded out.


Garland quotes in the article below. Seems it is going to be a sweeping, top-down review that I'm pretty sure would include traffic stops.

DOJ To Investigate Minneapolis Police For Possible Patterns Of Excessive Force
https://www.npr.org/sections/trial-over-killing-of-george-floyd/2021/04/21/989446758/doj-to-investigate-minneapolis-police-for-possible-patterns-of-excessive-force
ARTICLE:
Spoiler:
One day after a jury convicted former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin on murder charges, the U.S. Justice Department launched an investigation into possible patterns of discrimination and excessive force among the police department there.

Attorney General Merrick Garland announced the new civil inquiry on Wednesday, the first such "pattern or practice" investigation in the Biden administration, which has pledged to build trust between police and communities.

"Today, I am announcing that the Justice Department has opened a civil investigation to determine whether the Minneapolis Police Department engages in a pattern or practice of unconstitutional or unlawful policing," he said in remarks at the Justice Department.

He said the investigation is separate from the previously announced federal criminal inquiry into George Floyd's death.

"Yesterday's verdict in the state criminal trial does not address potentially systemic policing issues in Minneapolis," Garland said.

He said the investigation will look at the use of excessive force, including during protests, and examine the MPD's accountability systems.

"If the Justice Department concludes that there's reasonable cause to believe there is a pattern or practice of unconstitutional or unlawful policing, we will issue a public report of our conclusions," he said.

The investigation marks a return to increased federal oversight of errant police departments, with a tool the Trump administration used just once in the past four years to examine a small force in Massachusetts. By contrast, during the Obama years, the Justice Department conducted more than two dozen pattern or practice investigations.

Last week, Garland revoked a Trump-era memo that made it more difficult for the Justice Department's civil rights lawyers to reach consent decrees with state and local governments over policing practices and to seek court approval for independent monitors to check whether police departments were honoring the terms of settlements.


I heard that but it bears mentioning as these incidents are much lower profile but en masse create a huge problem.
BAF Clippers
PG: SGA Conley Chiozza
SG: KCP Melton Bacon
SF: Middleton THT
PF: DFS Bjelica Toliver
C: Vuc Nurkic Holmes

RIP Mags :beer:
"Greatness wasn't worth anything if you couldn't share it."-Kobe
User avatar
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
Posts: 31,849
And1: 7,916
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
     

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#112 » by br7knicks » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:35 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Biden administration and Merrick Garlard are not wasting time.

A day after the verdict the DOJ announces a probe into the Minny police dept.

They are not settling for Chauvin's conviction. The DOJ is making it clear they are going after his superiors who enabled this conduct in the first place.

I actually think this news may end up being as historically important as the verdict yesterday, because the only way you will get any kind of real reform is from having a DOJ with teeth that takes dismantling institutionalized racism seriously.

It still remains to be seen what the follow-through is, but so far the policies of the white nationalist regime preceding this administration are being steadily dismantled and reversed.


I hope probes like this don't just focus on police violence but get down to the nitty gritty like identifying departments that frequently issue DWB violations. These ticky tack incidents (and how they escalate) erode trust as much as the killings and often lead to them. All of it needs to be weeded out.


yeah. that's why i'm okay with them bringing the hammer down on chauvin and the others. i think chauvin needs to be made an example of in order to set a new precedent. i could never be a police officer, as their job is way too difficult and stressful. but there is a lot that needs to be done to fix the **** ones and weed them out.
Rest in Peace, magnumt. 2019

Youtube: No Blood, No Foul Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
Knicks RealGM Podcast - No Blood, No Foul: soundcloud.com/nbnf-53719535
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 68,396
And1: 33,844
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#113 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:43 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
No need to waste your time on that one buddy. Homegirl was about to stab another girl and the cop shot her. Nothing to see her ,Next!


Meh, not so fast. Isn't this what a Taser is for? Furthermore, this is why we need mental health responders in charge when the local law enforcement is called on what is clearly a mental health event. And I haven't even really started looking into this yet.


Really?
Tasers are not always effective. Those prongs don’t always stick on to the clothes. I’ve seen enough body cam videos where somebody was tased and not feel anything but get more angrier. This situation was different, The young lady was about to kill the other girl by trying to aim the knife to her neck.

If that was my daughter about to be stabbed I would commend the cop for saving her life. Unfortunately the cop had to use deadly force, but at the same time these are split second decisions.


You’re probably right. It’s be interesting to see what the Department’s shooting investigation report says when they issue it.
Image
User avatar
Fat Kat
RealGM
Posts: 28,371
And1: 20,333
Joined: Apr 19, 2004
     

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#114 » by Fat Kat » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:10 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
User avatar
WargamesX
Veteran
Posts: 2,700
And1: 1,539
Joined: Apr 10, 2017
   

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#115 » by WargamesX » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:22 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter


Expect other conservative states to attempt this as well. :nonono: :banghead:
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
lloydj
Rookie
Posts: 1,158
And1: 72
Joined: Jun 29, 2003
     

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#116 » by lloydj » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:18 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter


Expect other conservative states to attempt this as well. :nonono: :banghead:


Oscirus
General Manager
Posts: 9,306
And1: 5,798
Joined: Dec 09, 2011
       

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#117 » by Oscirus » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:31 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter


Expect other conservative states to attempt this as well. :nonono: :banghead:


More like they're going to legit get it done. only real question is who does it first
User avatar
Im Coming Home
RealGM
Posts: 17,984
And1: 7,430
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
Location: Bay Shore, NY
       

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#118 » by Im Coming Home » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:38 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter


Expect other conservative states to attempt this as well. :nonono: :banghead:

I think that goes against constitutional rights. I think it would be blocked in the courts.
Image
User avatar
SelbyCobra
General Manager
Posts: 7,857
And1: 13,360
Joined: May 25, 2011

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#119 » by SelbyCobra » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:26 pm

Read on Twitter
Image
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 23,279
And1: 18,102
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
     

Re: OT: Derek Chauvin Verdict Is In 

Post#120 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:36 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
denterprise wrote:Thank God! About time a dirty cop is convicted of murder.


this was my hope for this. i want it to be an eye opener for all of the dirty and **** police officers out there.


the vast majority of police are great people who want to help. but for those **** ones, i hope this teaches them that they need to fix themselves, or get the **** out.


I wish this were true but I don’t see these police speaking up when things like this happen. I see most of them actively antagonistic against Black Lives Matter.


i lost a friend who is a cop for that same reason. she chose to antagonize the oppressed instead of trying to get to the heart of what we're talking about at this time.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.

Return to New York Knicks