ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-2021 College/Draft Thread Part 3

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Who do you guys want the most assuming all of these players are within our range

James Bouknight
24%
Ayo Dosunmo
6%
Tre Mann
12%
Davion Mitchell
12%
Josh Giddey
18%
Jared Butler
8%
Ziaire Williams
6%
BJ Boston
2%
Moses Moody
4%
Sharife Cooper
8%

Total votes: 122

newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Re: 2020-2021 College/Draft Thread Part 3 

Post#1061 » by newyorker4ever » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:32 am

My trade up in the 10-15 range players are:
D.Mitchell
M.Moody
J.Bouknight
J.Giddey

My stay at 19 and 21 players are:
C.Duarte
C.Thomas
T.Murphy
Z.Williams
N.Hyland
M.McBride
T.Mann
S.Cooper--his size and shooting really worry me but i love most from a PG is a guy that can set up the offense, run the offense and has great vision and passing ability and he has all of those so wouldn't be mad with the pick.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#1062 » by newyorker4ever » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:32 am

https://dailyknicks.com/2021/06/09/knicks-draft-vrenz-bleijenbergh-wildcard/

Knicks Draft: Vrenz Bleijenbergh is THE wildcard of the Draft

Now that the playoffs are over for the Knicks, we can start to look towards the draft.

The Knicks host four picks this year, the 19th, 21st, 32nd, and 58th. Because of the shear volume of picks and the way they’re spread out across the board, it’s important to keep an eye on everyone, including Vrenz Bleijenbergh.

The history of these foreign unicorns is spotty for sure. You could get Giannis, Porzingis, Gasol, Gasol, or Jokic.

Or you could get Darko Milicic.

But because the Knicks are trying to find offensive star power and the sheer amount of picks they have, it would be prudent to spend one of them on a guy like this.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,404

Post#1063 » by robillionaire » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:17 am

newyorker4ever wrote:My trade up in the 10-15 range players are:
D.Mitchell
M.Moody
J.Bouknight
J.Giddey

C.Duarte
C.Thomas
T.Murphy
Z.Williams
N.Hyland
M.McBride
T.Mann
S.Cooper--his size and shooting really worry me but i love most from a PG is a guy that can set up the offense, run the offense and has great vision and passing ability and he has all of those so wouldn't be mad with the pick.

you got any 32 range guys
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,310

Post#1064 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:43 am

You all should relax. You just KNOW OKC is going to snap up the players you were hoping would fall to the Knicks, just before the Knicks get them.
finestrg
Sophomore
And1: 142

Post#1065 » by finestrg » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:52 pm

I'm just very leery of trading all of our picks to move up and then we crap out on the pick like we've done with Frank, Knox and maybe Obi. I think there's too much risk there.. I'd like to see us stand pat and use all 4 of those picks to strengthen this roster and add depth. It would also give us the flexibility to let some guys go and avoid overpaying to bring back some of our role players.

I keep coming back to the same thoughts -- with Vildoza now, feeling like we've significantly upgraded the Elf Payton role (and I do think this guy's is starting caliber. Praying he is). Vildoza/Quickley at the point wouldn't be terrible as a baseline for what we have in place right now at the point. Again, Vildoza looks like a sizable upgrade over Payton and Quickley should be even better in year 2. And I keep coming back to the same guy for even more PG depth -- Bryce Cotton playing in the NBL in Australia. If we could get him on a similar contract that we gave Vildoza, we could replace the offensive production at backup point that Rose provided, more production possibly, and probably at a better price. I think offering this guy a deal would be money well spent. I like that he's been around now and has accomplished a lot, even if it wasn't in the NBA. A few years younger than Rose and I think he'd hold up better over a full NBA season. This guy has excelled everywhere he's been -- Providence, for the Austin Toros in the old D-League, now in Australia. He was even solid in his few NBA summer league stints and then looked good in his couple of cups of coffee he had in the actual NBA (I remember him getting a shot with the Jazz a few years back and excelling -- that showed me right there he could play in the NBA).

So keeping all that in mind (having some faith that we already significantly upgraded at the point and got something really good with Vildoza -- Pablo Prigioni thinks so) -- so now with this draft, if possible, I'd like to add quality wing play (more shooting) and impact size up front. I keep coming back to the same 4 guys that I think could really help us:

19 - Chris Duarte - love the size as a 2 (6'6"), love the outside shooting, he's sneaky bouncy/athletic, looks extremely smooth and fluid in everything he does out on the court (shooting form, overall movement), can drive and finish in addition to shooting 3s, and I think he's going to be very active on D in the NBA (I can see a lot of deflections, steals, chase-down blocks, etc. He looks to have great anticipation here). This dude just knows how to play. I know he's older but I really feel like he can jump in right away and help us. He kinda reminds me of superior version of Doug Christie, including even better outside shooting.

21 - Johnny Juzang - Quality shooter, stepped up huge on the big stage in the NCAA Tournament when he put UCLA on his back, and I like that he can go create his own shot -- thinking Vildoza would figure out exactly how to use him coming off screens and curls -- AND THEN -- unlike a Reggie Bullock, this kid can go get his own shot too. Wish he was a tad bigger, but I think the pluses outweigh the slight lack of height (still listed as 6'6" and that's passable for the NBA SF spot). If we grab Duarte and Juzang together, we could conceivably let Bullock and Burks go. As an aside -- I hope the Knicks spoke to Barrett and asked him to add close to 10 lbs. of muscle in the off-season. I think that could could help him play some more 3 next year. Barrett/Juzang at the 3 next year -- I'd be good with that. Too bad Knox fell out of favor--I still think he's capable of some decent play as a rotation player, but then again, maybe he's trade bait for us, along with Mitch, provided we can beef up those 3 and 5 spots properly. Juzang would be a step in the right direct here at the 3.

32 - Charles Bassey (might require us to move up just a little using cash, a future 2nd rounder) - he's my Noel replacement. I think he's bigger and despite being a tad raw in certain areas, he's more well-rounded compared to Noel and will be a more impactful NBA 5-man, even right away. Appreciate what Noel brought, specifically the shot-blocking, but I just can't get past his shortcomings -- the lack of height/girth/strength, he's got zero offensive game, bad hands on O, and despite being a quality rim protector, his lack of awareness at times was mind-blowing to see. We'll have Mitch back, provided we don't trade him -- who knows, maybe we do, but either way, Bassey would add more immediate impact depth at 5 and would eliminate us overpaying to bring Noel back. I like Bassey matched up against guys like Embiid, Capela, Bam Adebayo, etc. next year. i think he'd help us neutralize those type of guys somewhat. We add Bassey, I don't think a guy like Clint Capela walks all over us in a playoff series the way he just did. Dude's a great rim protector too.

58 - Luka Garza (might also require us to move up a little to get -- cash and/or a future 2nd rounder to move up into the low 30s or 40s in kind of a 'get him before someone else sees the value and drafts him' kind of way. Some mocks have him going undrafted, something i can't see at all) - I think he's worth a shot. Very accomplished college career at Iowa, esp. the last two seasons... Big, strong and very skilled. Solid rebounder, quality jumper in the mid-range out to 3 and he can score it in the post with his combination of strength/polished moves/finishing ability and very good footwork). I dunno man -- I'd take a shot here to see if we could get something similar to Nikola Jokic/Nikola Vucevic. At the very least, he could be the lite hybrid version of those two guys combined I'm thinking and his size and skills would give us more quality frontcourt depth (i could see him playing 4 or 5, Bassey too btw. Either guy could play with Randle, behind him, with Mitch at times (esp. Garza as his offensive skills look to be ahead of Bassey's), both can play with Toppin... i see the value with this guy and like the fit. Take the chance here. I can't believe he's not valued more, esp. considering the success Jokic and Vucevic have had in the NBA. You give me Bassey AND Garza in this draft, now all of a sudden I'd be a little more open-minded about moving Mitch in the right scenario too.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1066 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:12 pm

No generational talent is available where the Knicks are picking so apparently this is all meaningless. Carry on. Get attached to a few players so OKC can rip your heart out, possible twice, on draft day. Enjoy.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#1067 » by WargamesX » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:15 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:You all should relax. You just KNOW OKC is going to snap up the players you were hoping would fall to the Knicks, just before the Knicks get them.

They just want the full Knicks fan experience :lol:

Jokes aside the Knicks need to learn from Steph.

8-) Duarte isn’t even going to the combine, which would be very convenient…..

And then trade up if you’re worried about the other pick. There is some talent in this draft, I like it a lot more than last year’s draft, and the year before that one too.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
finestrg
Sophomore
And1: 142

Post#1068 » by finestrg » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:34 pm

WargamesX wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:You all should relax. You just KNOW OKC is going to snap up the players you were hoping would fall to the Knicks, just before the Knicks get them.

They just want the full Knicks fan experience :lol:

Jokes aside the Knicks need to learn from Steph.

8-) Duarte isn’t even going to the combine, which would be very convenient…..

And then trade up if you’re worried about the other pick. There is some talent in this draft, I like it a lot more than last year’s draft, and the year before that one too.

Heard that too about Duarte -- could mean he got a promise from someone already. I wonder from who. I really like this kid for us. Hoping he's there at 19.
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,884

Post#1069 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:16 pm

D.Mitchell
M.Moody
J.Bouknight
J.Giddey

C.Duarte
C.Thomas
T.Murphy
Z.Williams
N.Hyland
M.McBride
T.Mann

Here's my list so far:

Trade up:
D Mitchell
Bouknight
Giddey
Jared Butler
Sengun

19& 21:
J Butler again
Duarte
Thomas
Bones
Tre Mann
Jaden Springer
Josh Christopher

32:
Day'Ron Sharpe
Charles Bassey
Trey Murphy
Aaron Henry
Bones again depending if the talks of him rising up the board are overrated
BJ Boston
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
RandlesCornrows
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,610

Post#1070 » by RandlesCornrows » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:27 pm

I’m not sure what’s best, move up in this draft. Or keep our 2 FRPs. We could use as many young players for a trade if guys like Mitchell, Lillard, Luka requests a trade.
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#1071 » by robillionaire » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:35 pm

RandlesCornrows wrote:I’m not sure what’s best, move up in this draft. Or keep our 2 FRPs. We could use as many young players for a trade if guys like Mitchell, Lillard, Luka requests a trade.

another option they could pursue is to trade out of the draft for future picks, like they did last year when they traded the 33rd pick for a 2023 2nd round pick. just to keep trade assets for later on in case of situations like you mentioned
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#1072 » by WargamesX » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:44 pm

robillionaire wrote:
RandlesCornrows wrote:I’m not sure what’s best, move up in this draft. Or keep our 2 FRPs. We could use as many young players for a trade if guys like Mitchell, Lillard, Luka requests a trade.

another option they could pursue is to trade out of the draft for future picks, like they did last year when they traded the 33rd pick for a 2023 2nd round pick. just to keep trade assets for later on in case of situations like you mentioned

Flipside this is why I think they can trade up and still get two guys if they wanted. The Thunder should be open to trades for future assets.

The two Mavs picks and some second rounder for #16 isn’t a bad deal. Especially if they either already drafted two guys in the top 5 or if the rockets keeps their pick, they would still have their second 1st rounder coming at #18. The Rockets still get 3 first round rookies and the Knicks can jump ahead of playoff teams Memphis and Atlanta when picking both their guys. It’ll give the Knicks a shot at a really good drafting spot for a playoff team.

The 2023 Mavs pick isn’t likely worth it outside the fact the Thunder are getting assets to make a trade. If you’re looking to trade to picks for a star the picks have to not convert to players. Just ask Ainge. :lol:
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,439

Post#1073 » by RHODEY » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:02 pm

robillionaire
RealGM

Post#1074 » by robillionaire » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:11 pm

assuming no trade up or trade out, sharife cooper is a tough one for me, I like him as a guard and I am a sucker for passing and usually an advocate of "his shot could come around" but he would also be so lacking in wingspan size and defense and probably can't finish around the rim over taller defenders. just don't know if he'd work out but I'd consider taking a shot on him 21st. And if they want to look at a possible home run swing I'd still also take BJ Boston despite the tough season the potential is there
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,387

Post#1075 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:49 pm

Read on Twitter
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1076 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:11 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Read on Twitter

OKC will take him with one of their 6 picks. A few picks before the Knicks.
Galou
Pro Prospect
And1: 643

Post#1077 » by Galou » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:59 pm

Galou wrote:Ayo Dosunmo is the only point guard that will be in Knicks range to select

Edit: I like Tre Mann as well. Will be in Knicks range to select

Day-Ron Sharpe would be a nice selection for Knicks second pick. Knicks can use a Center like him

Those are the only 2 prospects I think Knicks should select

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

F$+*k the Nets.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,863

Post#1078 » by 8516knicks » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:57 pm

We can use a PG, a get your own shot wing and a C who has some offense and isn't (like Garza) a D liability. So I hope we keep 3 of our picks.

Perhaps bundle 32 & 58 to get late first round (#26 ?) and get someone like Jerimiah Earl Robinson who can score, D four spots and rebound and comes from a program where you learn to do the little but important things. A solid bench big.

If Ayo is all that, he sounds good as a PG (unless the Killdozer is so good we don't need a PG). And at 19 and 21 we ought to be able to find a Maxey/Mann type scoring wing.

If they bundle #32 and #58 for a 2022 or 2023 pick I think it should be close to #20 to account for the delay in our getting the player, but that's likely to be a draft night deal if another team lusts for #32.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,261

Post#1079 » by TheGreenArrow » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:04 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:No generational talent is available where the Knicks are picking so apparently this is all meaningless. Carry on. Get attached to a few players so OKC can rip your heart out, possible twice, on draft day. Enjoy.

Ummm……

JT THOR FOLKS JT THOR!!!!!!!!!
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#1080 » by newyorker4ever » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:49 pm

robillionaire wrote:
D.Mitchell
M.Moody
J.Bouknight
J.Giddey

C.Duarte
C.Thomas
T.Murphy
Z.Williams
N.Hyland
M.McBride
T.Mann

you got any 32 range guys

For me it would come down to what i do with those first two picks. Like if i use both then i might just go BPA regardless of position, but if i use both to trade up for one pick and don't end up with a PG, SF or great shooter/3-D type player then i'm going after best available at one of those positions. It's hard to say but i think some of the guys on my 19 and 21 list could still be around at 32.

T.Murphy
N.Hyland
M.McBride
S.Cooper
JT Thor
BJ Boston
Vrenz Bleijenbergh--I love the long lanky euro players that have athleticism and can shoot the rock and block shots and this kid is that.
J.Juzang

Return to New York Knicks