ImageImageImageImageImage

Does Lillard want out, and what would it take to get him?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,962

Re: Does Lillard want out, and what would it take to get him? 

Post#161 » by knicks94 » Sun May 2, 2021 11:30 am

I think it all comes down to two questions. How many years does Lillard have left in the tank? And how much better would the Knicks be in comparison to the top teams in the East like Philadelphia, Milwaukee and Brooklyn?

Wouldn't mind giving up draft picks if we kept RJ and if Lillard gave us at least 3 years of his prime. If Lillard can continue playing at the level he is playing at, RJ develops into a superstar and Randle doesn't regress in the next year or two, the Knicks could very well have a super team by 2022.

I just don't know if that would make us significantly better than Philadelphia, Milwaukee and Brooklyn. The Knicks need to build a roster that will dominate their way through the EC playoffs. It isn't just about being a top seeded team, but about being the team to beat. There is no sense in mortgaging the future for Lillard if we get bounced out of the EC finals or the second round in the next several years.

Another question that was probably already discussed on this thread is Lillard's durability under coach Thibs. Is Lillard really at the age in which he can physically play more than 40 minutes a game throughout an 82 game season plus the playoffs? Thibs would really need to adjust his coaching with 3 potential superstars on his roster.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,913

Post#162 » by god shammgod » Sun May 2, 2021 2:17 pm

El Poochio wrote:
god shammgod wrote:where's that italian guy to tell us dame sucks for the 100th time lol

Montmorencie is in France

isn't that spelt with a y at the end ?
Knicks365247
Junior
And1: 350

Post#163 » by Knicks365247 » Sun May 2, 2021 3:58 pm

RJ has made such great strides that if it weren't for Randle's amazing improvement (to the point where he's an ALL-NBA player this season) everyone would be talking about him as a major candidate for Most Improved Player.

RJ has an amazing work ethic and you can just see it that it's almost as if he gets better and better with each game that goes by. RJ absolutely loves playing for New York and as others have said he is *exactly* the type of player who can recruit other stars to play for the Knicks (cough cough Zion cough cough, who very well could take his QO and then sign with the Knicks outright as a Free Agent).

Also RJ plays the most desirable and in demand (with short supply on the open market) position in the NBA: a 2-way wing. Point Guard similarly is the DEEPEST position in the league. I'd much rather trade a significantly lessor package for someone like Terry Rozier who at 27 is only entering his prime and is having a fantastic season. Or even just trade one of the Dallas picks for Lonzo in a S&T this offseason. Then have the Knicks keep their ear to the grindstone looking for the next big opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Dame Time at the Mecca but RJ is off the table.
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,599

Post#164 » by El Poochio » Sun May 2, 2021 4:13 pm

god shammgod wrote:
El Poochio wrote:
god shammgod wrote:where's that italian guy to tell us dame sucks for the 100th time lol

Not even a cool ski resort on top of the Alps where they burn dame dolla bills at fireplace

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#165 » by god shammgod » Sun May 2, 2021 4:15 pm

El Poochio wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
El Poochio wrote:

Not even a cool ski resort on top of the Alps where they burn dame dolla bills at fireplace

i googled it, it's in Indiana
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,252

Post#166 » by DOT » Sun May 2, 2021 4:36 pm

The question really is, is Dame and Randle enough to win a championship?

I don't think so, and you're essentially locked into them if you trade RJ for Dame

We know there's no star FAs this offseason, so you can't sign anyone, and by next offseason, Randle and Lillard will combine for nearly 80 million by themselves (Lillard's contract is near 50 million, Randle's cap hold is 30 million), meaning we would have basically no room to sign anyone big

Trading RJ for Lillard only makes sense if we already got a max FA to sign, and you want to expedite the process. Like how the Clips traded for PG after Kawhi signed with them, not before.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,252

Post#167 » by DOT » Sun May 2, 2021 4:44 pm

god shammgod wrote:
K-DOT wrote:The question really is, is Dame and Randle enough to win a championship?

I don't think so, and you're essentially locked into them if you trade RJ for Dame

We know there's no star FAs this offseason, so you can't sign anyone, and by next offseason, Randle and Lillard will combine for nearly 80 million by themselves (Lillard's contract is near 50 million, Randle's cap hold is 30 million), meaning we would have basically no room to sign anyone big

Trading RJ for Lillard only makes sense if we already got a max FA to sign, and you want to expedite the process. Like how the Clips traded for PG after Kawhi signed with them, not before.

his contract next year is 39 mill

I'm seeing 2 different numbers, Spotrac has him at 39, Bball-ref has him at 44

Regardless, that's irrelevant, since there's no one to sign this year. It's the year after, 22-23, that matters, because that's when a max FA might be available. Even with the lower number Spotrac has of 42.4 in 23, we'd basically have no room to build a team around him, Randle, and if we got a max FA

What I said still applies, that's the move you make once you've secured the max FA and are trying to add a 3rd star.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#168 » by god shammgod » Sun May 2, 2021 4:48 pm

K-DOT wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
K-DOT wrote:The question really is, is Dame and Randle enough to win a championship?

his contract next year is 39 mill

I'm seeing 2 different numbers, Spotrac has him at 39, Bball-ref has him at 44

Regardless, that's irrelevant, since there's no one to sign this year. It's the year after, 22-23, that matters, because that's when a max FA might be available. Even with the lower number Spotrac has of 42.4 in 23, we'd basically have no room to build a team around him, Randle, and if we got a max FA

What I said still applies, that's the move you make once you've secured the max FA and are trying to add a 3rd star.

i erased it because i saw the 2 different numbers. you'd have to convince kawhi to come this summer or settle on derozan.

it's not happening anyway. and we wouldn't be the only team in play if it was.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#169 » by god shammgod » Sun May 2, 2021 4:52 pm

the knicks are gonna sign derozan anyway (if they can). so it's either rj, lonzo & derozan or dame & derozan in this theoretical scenario.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,378

Post#170 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun May 2, 2021 5:06 pm

god shammgod wrote:
robillionaire wrote:Let’s just hope the new regime can shut down Dolan when he pushes for this because this is classic Dolan mentality

well then i hope it does happen so you can all throw fits about dolan getting involved and i can devour your suffering like melo does high fructose corn syrup. it's what you all deserve.

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,077

Post#171 » by blueNorange » Sun May 2, 2021 5:23 pm

Guano wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
Guano wrote:

this is one of those moments when someone doesn't realize they're talking about themselves

nah i'm talking about you for sure.

those that fall in love with the new shiny toy, full of nothing but knee jerk reactions, never knowing you have a great player(rj) infront of your eyes.

assuming lillard who couldn't win in portland during his prime years, will automatically win in new york on the downside of his prime years.

so again, i'm definitely talking about you.

LOL Y U MAD THO?

i'm mad because fans like you are the reason why the media will force the knicks to trade rj and all their picks for dame, and in 3 years when dame is 34, rj will be 24 and be a legit 2 way player.

and we'll have to go another decade of bad basketball with all the lotto picks going to the blazers.

trading it all for lillard will only make the blazers good.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#172 » by blueNorange » Sun May 2, 2021 5:28 pm

Jimmit79 wrote:
vallen wrote:
Jimmit79 wrote:Because ppl are practically saying RJ will better then dame if they don't want to trade him.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

No you are not getting what they are saying Jim. Not even practically. One has a long career left in the League. One does not. Simple. You dont give up so many assets to rent an over the hill player for a couple seasons that will deliver nothing. No Finals, No rings, No anything.
If dame can't give you chance at championship then no stars will and I just want one championship in this lifetime that's all I don't care about dynasty fantasy.

here's the thing, who cares about your selfish self?

i rather roll with rj's next 10 years of competitive basketball vs lillard's 2 years of competitive basketball, and then hope he's good enough to keep on the court, because lord knows when it comes to defense he's kevin knox bad.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#173 » by blueNorange » Sun May 2, 2021 5:36 pm

vallen wrote:
Jimmit79 wrote:
vallen wrote:
No you are not getting what they are saying Jim. Not even practically. One has a long career left in the League. One does not. Simple. You dont give up so many assets to rent an over the hill player for a couple seasons that will deliver nothing. No Finals, No rings, No anything.
If dame can't give you chance at championship then no stars will and I just want one championship in this lifetime that's all I don't care about dynasty fantasy.

How did that work with Marbury? Curry? Randolph? Amare? Melo? And none of them were as old. Its absolutely ridiculous I have to explain this to people. Scout, research, and look for the PG's of the future, not the past. Brogdan would be a better fit long term as he would give us a much longer shot at a chip. Look for players who will blossom into something better rather than players who are fading away.

i'll tell you how it worked out

suns got better, knicks got worse -- suns also got a lotto pick thanks to the knicks
bulls got better, knicks got worse -- bulls also got a lotto pick thanks to the knicks
blazers got better, knicks got worse -- idk if any picks were involved
amar'e was a fa signing
nuggets got better, knicks had only 2 years of success but mostly got worse, nuggets also got a lotto pick thanks to the knicks

bulls used knicks lotto picks to draft lamarcus aldridge and joakim noah,
jazz got the suns pick which was originally knicks pick and drafted gordon hayward
nuggets used knicks lotto to draft jamaal murray.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Guano
RealGM
And1: 40,395

Post#174 » by Guano » Sun May 2, 2021 6:09 pm

blueNorange wrote:
Guano wrote:
blueNorange wrote:nah i'm talking about you for sure.

those that fall in love with the new shiny toy, full of nothing but knee jerk reactions, never knowing you have a great player(rj) infront of your eyes.

assuming lillard who couldn't win in portland during his prime years, will automatically win in new york on the downside of his prime years.

so again, i'm definitely talking about you.

LOL Y U MAD THO?

i'm mad because fans like you are the reason why the media will force the knicks to trade rj and all their picks for dame, and in 3 years when dame is 34, rj will be 24 and be a legit 2 way player.

and we'll have to go another decade of bad basketball with all the lotto picks going to the blazers.

trading it all for lillard will only make the blazers good.

C'mon
you can not be serious - you think Guano on realgm knicks forum has influence on the knicks roster.

I posted a hilarious joke about driving rj to portland and you think Leon is going to sweat if he doesn't pull that trigger. "Guano on realgm is going to stop illegally streaming knicks games if I don't trade RJ for Dame. PULL the damn trigger!"
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,215

Post#175 » by TheGreenArrow » Sun May 2, 2021 6:16 pm

god shammgod wrote:the knicks are gonna sign derozan anyway (if they can). so it's either rj, lonzo & derozan or dame & derozan in this theoretical scenario.

I’d take the former pretty easily!!!!!!!
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,215

Post#176 » by TheGreenArrow » Sun May 2, 2021 7:43 pm

I’d rather have a Sexton-Lavine- Randle core or a lonzo-Lavine-Rj-Randle core instead of going all in on a Randle-Dame core.

And it isn’t even close!!!!!!
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,373
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#177 » by BKlutch » Sun May 2, 2021 8:05 pm

god shammgod wrote:
El Poochio wrote:

I had an ex named Marcy, but nobody wanted to mount Marcy.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#178 » by Jimmit79 » Sun May 2, 2021 10:15 pm

blueNorange wrote:
Jimmit79 wrote:
vallen wrote:

i rather roll with rj's next 10 years of competitive basketball vs lillard's 2 years of competitive basketball, and then hope he's good enough to keep on the court, because lord knows when it comes to defense he's kevin knox bad.
RJ will never be #1 or 2 option right now he's getting good looks because of Randle and Rose creating all opportunities so some of you guys feel a third wheel should not be traded for #1 scoring option who also would finally give us a PG and can score in clutch.

vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,058

Post#179 » by vallen » Sun May 2, 2021 11:01 pm

Jimmit79 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
Jimmit79 wrote:If dame can't give you chance at championship then no stars will and I just want one championship in this lifetime that's all I don't care about dynasty fantasy.

RJ will never be #1 or 2 option right now he's getting good looks because of Randle and Rose creating all opportunities so some of you guys feel a third wheel should not be traded for #1 scoring option who also would finally give us a PG and can score in clutch.

He is already a #2 option on a likely playoff team. Guaranteed play in. Dame will not win us a ring in the short amount of time left in his declining career. Why would you give away free assets for nothing in return but a couple years of steady PG play that results in nothing but missed opportunities for better options that fits within the chemistry of the team and its timeline?
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man
And1: 756

Post#180 » by NewKnicks » Sun May 2, 2021 11:03 pm

Here we go with a bunch of trades coming saying Knox, Obi and a first will get it done :lol:

Return to New York Knicks