ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Randle is different

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,682

Re: PG: Randle is different 

Post#161 » by mpharris36 » Mon May 3, 2021 2:11 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:At least Payton is only playing 14mpg,15mpg. I am a fan of getting bad things out of the way early and saving the best for last. In that sense at least we get Payton out of the way early and usually dont have to worry about him coming back in.

Thibs isnt going to change the lineup barring injury or unless we are in a hole in a playoff series at this point. Its gotten us this far and we have gone this long, so there is some sense of continuity.

I do wonder what they are going to do with Burks coming back. If he gets says 20 minutes or so a night...who is he taking minutes from?
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,520

Post#162 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon May 3, 2021 2:13 pm

The Knicks are 3-1 in games that I've missed.

cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,564

Post#163 » by cgmw » Mon May 3, 2021 2:17 pm

cgf wrote:
F N 11 wrote:
cgf wrote:It's a combination of trying to keep IQ on the bench while he improves his consistency, trying to balance the 1st & 2nd units so our bench can extend leads, and Thibs' trying to compensate for the talent deficit we'd have in the starting lineup either way, by letting our best defensive lineup start things off...plus with the shooting we're getting from Julius, RJ & Reggie, Elf's shot isn't as crippling & his penetration gives our offense multiple ways to put pressure on a defense.

It's just a shame that Elf can't shoot, finish or pass.

I get what Thibs is doing. If it aint broke dont fix it. However, against good teams. we may not be able to recover from Elfrids negative impact. Something has to happen. IQ is showing he can pass and making his shots now. Shelf Elf and have Burks play with IQ.

We'll see. I think IQ has earned trust from Thibs for Elf to barelly play, but I don't think he's won enough of it for Elf to get pushed out completely. Even with the way he dies on screens, Elf is our best defensive guard in the rotation, and that's been Thibs priority with the starting lineup all season...see the Burks v Bullock debates from the start of the campaign.

Frank is our best defensive guard. My theory is that Thibs craves consistency/continuity, and it helps that D Rose is basically a genetically superior Elf clone in terms of playing style. I think Thibs just wants an “NBA caliber” warm body who won’t shake the rest of the team’s confidence because at least he’s consistent (consistently sh*tty). Had Frank been the starter this whole time, he would have actually shown flashes of a jump shot and dribble drive game which would throw everyone else off because they don’t know what to expect on a nightly basis.

Thibs isn’t about to sacrifice regular season wins so a role playing PG can figure his sh*t out. He’d rather have the other 4 players reliably know what to expect out of their terrible role-playing veteran starting PG who exudes the irrational confidence of Steve Mills.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,934

Post#164 » by F N 11 » Mon May 3, 2021 2:18 pm

Was Randle pointing to his back saying get on my back or pointing to the rockets bench when he went off in the 3rd. If he was saying get on my back, oh my.....
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
cgmw
RealGM

Post#165 » by cgmw » Mon May 3, 2021 2:19 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:At least Payton is only playing 14mpg,15mpg. I am a fan of getting bad things out of the way early and saving the best for last. In that sense at least we get Payton out of the way early and usually dont have to worry about him coming back in.

Thibs isnt going to change the lineup barring injury or unless we are in a hole in a playoff series at this point. Its gotten us this far and we have gone this long, so there is some sense of continuity.

I do wonder what they are going to do with Burks coming back. If he gets says 20 minutes or so a night...who is he taking minutes from?

Are you serious???? Come on, man. This is so predictable it’s not even a debate. If Burks heats up, IQ gets his role cut. If IQ is also hot, then RJ sits a little.

Although I don’t see Thibs going much beyond an 8 man rotation for a 7 game series.

Bench will be:
Backup C
Rose
Burks
IQ (8 min heat check)
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,330

Post#166 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon May 3, 2021 2:20 pm

mpharris36 wrote:

Think we all hope he dials down Payton's minutes. But probably will take some of Quickley and Rose...maybe Bullock or RJs if Burks is going good in crunchtime.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#167 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon May 3, 2021 2:21 pm

The Randle highlights from this game are very nuts.

Dude is looking like Kawhi out there, but with a little more grace. His handle has improved dramatically, that's a game changer.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#168 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon May 3, 2021 2:23 pm

mpharris36 wrote:

I'm thinking it's just going to reduce Rose's minutes load. He's practically playing starter minutes right now. Also RJ is pretty much a lock to go over 40 minutes a night lately. IQ's last few weeks have cemented him as part of the playoff rotation. Thibs loves him some point Burks :lol:
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,028

Post#169 » by god shammgod » Mon May 3, 2021 2:24 pm

mpharris36 wrote:

you know who you bastard, it's what you want. you don't want the young king quick to flourish!!!

good morning mpharris :D
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#170 » by god shammgod » Mon May 3, 2021 2:25 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:The Randle highlights from this game are very nuts.

Dude is looking like Kawhi out there, but with a little more grace. His handle has improved dramatically, that's a game changer.

once we trade rj for dame and add derozan, the sky's the limit. hello everyone. good morning.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,307

Post#171 » by DOT » Mon May 3, 2021 2:27 pm

god shammgod wrote:

once we trade rj for dame and add derozan, the sky's the limit. hello everyone. good morning.

Sham really woke up and chose violence, huh.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Post#172 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon May 3, 2021 2:30 pm

F N 11 wrote:
cgf wrote:It's a combination of trying to keep IQ on the bench while he improves his consistency, trying to balance the 1st & 2nd units so our bench can extend leads, and Thibs' trying to compensate for the talent deficit we'd have in the starting lineup either way, by letting our best defensive lineup start things off...plus with the shooting we're getting from Julius, RJ & Reggie, Elf's shot isn't as crippling & his penetration gives our offense multiple ways to put pressure on a defense.

I get what Thibs is doing. If it aint broke dont fix it. However, against good teams. we may not be able to recover from Elfrids negative impact. Something has to happen. IQ is showing he can pass and making his shots now. Shelf Elf and have Burks play with IQ.
Burks isn't available.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#173 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon May 3, 2021 2:31 pm

god shammgod wrote:

Stay with this energy and I'll start posting music as well.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,966

Post#174 » by cgf » Mon May 3, 2021 2:31 pm

louisorr wrote:Unleash Jared Harper. I saw some flashes out there. The kid is aggressive.

It's a shame he's 4'2" cause I do think he has some NBA skills...they're just not in an NBA body.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
cgmw
RealGM

Post#175 » by cgmw » Mon May 3, 2021 2:31 pm

Any normal coach or just about any one of us would be looking at playing Randle some minutes as a small-ball 5 while Mitch and Noel are out, especially with Burks returning.

Thibs would rather die under Norvel Pelle’s cold dead body.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#176 » by god shammgod » Mon May 3, 2021 2:33 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

like it could be worse than melo
KnicksFan7
Sixth Man
And1: 888

Post#177 » by KnicksFan7 » Mon May 3, 2021 2:35 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:I think Randle likes playing with Elf. The played in NOLA together too and thrived.

Sorry

You might be on to something. I think he's boys with Elf. Listen to the Woj pod and the story Randle tells about dinner with Leon and Wes. He's there with Elf before everyone shows up and they talk him (Randle) down.
cgf
RealGM

Post#178 » by cgf » Mon May 3, 2021 2:37 pm

cgmw wrote:
cgf wrote:
F N 11 wrote:I get what Thibs is doing. If it aint broke dont fix it. However, against good teams. we may not be able to recover from Elfrids negative impact. Something has to happen. IQ is showing he can pass and making his shots now. Shelf Elf and have Burks play with IQ.

We'll see. I think IQ has earned trust from Thibs for Elf to barelly play, but I don't think he's won enough of it for Elf to get pushed out completely. Even with the way he dies on screens, Elf is our best defensive guard in the rotation, and that's been Thibs priority with the starting lineup all season...see the Burks v Bullock debates from the start of the campaign.

Frank is our best defensive guard. My theory is that Thibs craves consistency/continuity, and it helps that D Rose is basically a genetically superior Elf clone in terms of playing style. I think Thibs just wants an “NBA caliber” warm body who won’t shake the rest of the team’s confidence because at least he’s consistent (consistently sh*tty). Had Frank been the starter this whole time, he would have actually shown flashes of a jump shot and dribble drive game which would throw everyone else off because they don’t know what to expect on a nightly basis.

Thibs isn’t about to sacrifice regular season wins so a role playing PG can figure his sh*t out. He’d rather have the other 4 players reliably know what to expect out of their terrible role-playing veteran starting PG who exudes the irrational confidence of Steve Mills.

Frank could be our best defensive guard if he stopped fouling so much, but he's not in the rotation because he has no dribble-drive game & doesn't bring anything to the offense but his 3ball. So bringing him up is moot, as Thibs just didn't use him as PG even when he was getting burn; Frank's chance to crack the rotation is in Bullock's role, not Elf's.

I do think the consistency/continuity point is valid, but there's a little more to this than just Elf having claimed the job first...which is where Elf's defensive advantage over IQ & Rose, Thibs wanting the 2nd unit to have enough punch, Thibs wanting to be able to manage IQ & Rose's minutes more flexibly, etc. comes into the equation.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

cgf
RealGM

Post#179 » by cgf » Mon May 3, 2021 2:39 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
F N 11 wrote:

Burks isn't available.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

He will be soon.

Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#180 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon May 3, 2021 2:39 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

like it could be worse than melo

That's a game nobody wants to win.

Return to New York Knicks