ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Randle is different

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,954

Re: PG: Randle is different 

Post#181 » by cgf » Mon May 3, 2021 2:45 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:At least Payton is only playing 14mpg,15mpg. I am a fan of getting bad things out of the way early and saving the best for last. In that sense at least we get Payton out of the way early and usually dont have to worry about him coming back in.

Thibs isnt going to change the lineup barring injury or unless we are in a hole in a playoff series at this point. Its gotten us this far and we have gone this long, so there is some sense of continuity.

I do wonder what they are going to do with Burks coming back. If he gets says 20 minutes or so a night...who is he taking minutes from?

Think we all hope he dials down Payton's minutes. But probably will take some of Quickley and Rose...maybe Bullock or RJs if Burks is going good in crunchtime.

Elf has only topped 20 minutes once in our past 6 games (22 against the Bulls) and averaged less than 20 MPG in the month of April. His PT has steadily gone down since February and there aren't very many Payton-minutes left to give to someone else without Thibs changing his start-of-the-game strategy & dropping Elf from the rotation completely.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,306

Post#182 » by Oscirus » Mon May 3, 2021 2:45 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

The 25 players who made that 25 under 25 list must be the ****
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,675

Post#183 » by mpharris36 » Mon May 3, 2021 2:47 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:At least Payton is only playing 14mpg,15mpg. I am a fan of getting bad things out of the way early and saving the best for last. In that sense at least we get Payton out of the way early and usually dont have to worry about him coming back in.

Thibs isnt going to change the lineup barring injury or unless we are in a hole in a playoff series at this point. Its gotten us this far and we have gone this long, so there is some sense of continuity.

I do wonder what they are going to do with Burks coming back. If he gets says 20 minutes or so a night...who is he taking minutes from?

Think we all hope he dials down Payton's minutes. But probably will take some of Quickley and Rose...maybe Bullock or RJs if Burks is going good in crunchtime.

Rose/IQ/Bullock have been great he would be dumb to touch there minutes. IQ is getting 20 minutes if he brings him back to 8-10 I would really question that decision. Randle and RJ shouldn't be effected.

Just eliminate the weak link at this point.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
cgf
RealGM

Post#184 » by cgf » Mon May 3, 2021 2:48 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:The Knicks are 3-1 in games that I've missed.

Miss tonight's game...the odds were too tempting :lol:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,328

Post#185 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon May 3, 2021 2:48 pm

cgf wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Elf has only topped 20 minutes once in our past 6 games (22 against the Bulls) and averaged less than 20 MPG in the month of April. His PT has steadily gone down since February and there aren't very many Payton-minutes left to give to someone else without Thibs changing his start-of-the-game strategy & dropping Elf from the rotation completely.

That would be my choice...just cut Elfrid out of the rotation. That would be 15 to 20min for Burks. But I dont expect that to happen. Quickley will probably see his minutes reduced the most and maybe just cut a few minutes for a few others
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#186 » by mpharris36 » Mon May 3, 2021 2:49 pm

god shammgod wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

you know who you bastard, it's what you want. you don't want the young king quick to flourish!!!

good morning mpharris :D

but seriously, if he sends IQ back to the 10 minute a night role...I will be furious.

ROSTER

Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,520

Post#187 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon May 3, 2021 2:53 pm

cgf wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:The Knicks are 3-1 in games that I've missed.

Miss tonight's game...the odds were too tempting :lol:

It's a game time decision.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#188 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon May 3, 2021 2:54 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Rose/IQ/Bullock have been great he would be dumb to touch there minutes. IQ is getting 20 minutes if he brings him back to 8-10 I would really question that decision. Randle and RJ shouldn't be effected.

I agree with you 100%. But just not expecting Thibs to change the starting lineup at this point. Maybe just hope he subs Payton out a little earlier and he gets down to 12mpg would be the best I am hoping for
Mavs
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#189 » by mpharris36 » Mon May 3, 2021 2:55 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

I agree with you 100%. But just not expecting Thibs to change the starting lineup at this point. Maybe just hope he subs Payton out a little earlier and he gets down to 12mpg would be the best I am hoping for

I guess....or an injury

ROSTER

cgf
RealGM

Post#190 » by cgf » Mon May 3, 2021 2:58 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
cgf wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

That would be my choice...just cut Elfrid out of the rotation. That would be 15 to 20min for Burks. But I dont expect that to happen. Quickley will probably see his minutes reduced the most and maybe just cut a few minutes for a few others

I feel like that's everyone's choice, but I can't help but wonder if that's just because we as fans don't appreciate how much our team benefits from each game starting with this slow/mucky pace that keeps our opponents from building any flow and puts them into that "this is going to be a grind" mindset which plays to our strengths...as well as how much better IQ & Rose are able to play after getting into their rhythms against bench-guys.

I hate appeals to authority, but I think Thibs performance in every other respect this season has been so good that I want to give him the benefit of the doubt about there being some logic to starting Elf that we aren't seeing...and outside of Elf being Julius's buddy, the best I can come up with is making sure our games have a slow/defensive pace to them from the get go + IQ/Rose being best off the bench at this stage of their respective careers.

god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,023

Post#191 » by god shammgod » Mon May 3, 2021 3:02 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

you know who you bastard, it's what you want. you don't want the young king quick to flourish!!!

but seriously, if he sends IQ back to the 10 minute a night role...I will be furious.

it is the most likely outcome. obi is coming around but it really hasn't affected his minutes. honestly quick is still not getting enough minutes.

quick last night - 13 points & 4 assists in 23 minutes on 55 percent shooting and 3-5 from 3. with starter minutes he'd probably be close to a 20 point scorer this year. year 1.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#192 » by mpharris36 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:08 pm

god shammgod wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

it is the most likely outcome. obi is coming around but it really hasn't affected his minutes. honestly quick is still not getting enough minutes.

quick last night - 13 points & 4 assists in 23 minutes on 55 percent shooting and 3-5 from 3. with starter minutes he'd probably be close to a 20 point scorer this year. year 1.

part of me thinks Thibs will eventually come to his senses because he sees how our offense runs with spacing. Just the threat of IQ out there gives RJ and Randle the space to make plays.

Thibs keep saying Payton is "important to this team"...but it seems forced right now because we are winning and he is not someone to throw a player under the bus.

But Burks will get minutes when he is back. My guess RJ who has been playing 40 minutes over the last 8 games or so could mayeb take a few minutes decrease. Then the next logical choice is to just give him all of Paytons minutes and start Rose.

ROSTER

Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,520

Post#193 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon May 3, 2021 3:10 pm

god shammgod wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

Well per 36 Quickley averages 21.5 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 5.5 apg.

It's stupid he's not playing more honestly.

That old-school mentality can only pay off in the long run if he stays and he's not included in any sort of deal for a star... Which he might just be a couple years from now.

Dude is underrated.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#194 » by god shammgod » Mon May 3, 2021 3:15 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

That old-school mentality can only pay off in the long run if he stays and he's not included in any sort of deal for a star... Which he might just be a couple years from now.

Dude is underrated.

the sad part is a lot of this is the politics of where you are drafted. if he was a top 5 pick playing like this, there's no way they would limit his minutes.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#195 » by mpharris36 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:15 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Dude is underrated.

I get thibs concerned about his defense. He does get a bit overwhelmed on that end sometimes. But its not like Payton is some world beater either. Even though Payton has size he really doesn't use it well.

I'm also no subscribing to starting IQ because I would worry about his defense starting which is why I would just start Rose...but I want him off the bench with the ball in his hands a lot.

ROSTER

cgf
RealGM

Post#196 » by cgf » Mon May 3, 2021 3:19 pm

I'm guessing Elf drops from the 19.5 he average in april to the 12-15 range once Burks is back, with RJ getting a little more rest bringing Burks up to ~10 & about halfway there. Next there's Rose, who hasn't played less than 25 since the Lakers game on April 12th and has topped 30 in 4 of our last 5 and 5 of our last 7...so giving Burks 5-10 of his minutes would get us close to where we want to be wrt to Burks PT & could help keep Derrick fresh at his age.

Shave a few of Reggie's minutes for Burks and we're there.

god shammgod
RealGM

Post#197 » by god shammgod » Mon May 3, 2021 3:21 pm

It has become a routine phrase lately from announcer Mike Breen on Knicks broadcasts, indicative of a rookie with not only the chutzpah to launch from several feet behind the 3-point line, but also the ability to convert.

Quickley, 21, connected on at least one extra distanced shot in each of the last four games heading into Sunday against the Rockets, with the blessing of coach Tom Thibodeau.

“We have a lot of confidence in his shooting,” the coach said. “That’s his gift.”

Indeed, Quickley led all rookies in 3-pointers made per 36 minutes heading into Sunday,
and he seems to have incorporated this outer space attempt into his profile a la Steph Curry and Dame Lillard.

Quickley also practices the shot. The Knicks training facility in Tarrytown is equipped with a four-point line, and Quickley “shoots just as effectively from that area,” according to Thibodeau.

The setup has added incentive.

“That’s definitely one thing I work on, even when I was at Kentucky in college, but I focus on it now just because we have that four-point line,” Quickley said. “I think it opens up driving lanes because people have to close out to me really far and that just creates opportunities for myself and creates opportunities for teammates.”

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/ny-knicks-immanuel-quickley-20210502-xfeykuamoreh7fuqwiuj2zxuqm-story.html
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#198 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon May 3, 2021 3:27 pm

I could see us being down in a playoff series and then Thibs making a change to the starting lineup. By that time it may be too late.
Mavs
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,967

Post#199 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon May 3, 2021 3:27 pm

god shammgod wrote:
It has become a routine phrase lately from announcer Mike Breen on Knicks broadcasts, indicative of a rookie with not only the chutzpah to launch from several feet behind the 3-point line, but also the ability to convert.

Quickley, 21, connected on at least one extra distanced shot in each of the last four games heading into Sunday against the Rockets, with the blessing of coach Tom Thibodeau.

“We have a lot of confidence in his shooting,” the coach said. “That’s his gift.”

Indeed, Quickley led all rookies in 3-pointers made per 36 minutes heading into Sunday,
and he seems to have incorporated this outer space attempt into his profile a la Steph Curry and Dame Lillard.

Quickley also practices the shot. The Knicks training facility in Tarrytown is equipped with a four-point line, and Quickley “shoots just as effectively from that area,” according to Thibodeau.

The setup has added incentive.

“That’s definitely one thing I work on, even when I was at Kentucky in college, but I focus on it now just because we have that four-point line,” Quickley said. “I think it opens up driving lanes because people have to close out to me really far and that just creates opportunities for myself and creates opportunities for teammates.”

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/ny-knicks-immanuel-quickley-20210502-xfeykuamoreh7fuqwiuj2zxuqm-story.html

RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#200 » by mpharris36 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:29 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:I could see us being down in a playoff series and then Thibs making a change to the starting lineup. By that time it may be too late.

if we play miami they have a trap approach vs us because they don't trust Payton's ability to shoot...so they just trap every screen to get it out of our hands and then scramble on defense and usually don't get beat because they don't have to worry about recovering to payton.

that is when we will need to make a quick adjustment.

ROSTER

Return to New York Knicks