ImageImageImageImageImage

The Return of Mitchell Robinson

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,126

Re: The Return of Mitchell Robinson 

Post#141 » by moocow007 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:27 pm

cgf wrote:
moocow007 wrote:My main concern with Robinson is where his head is at and what his motivation is to improve.

I mentioned this on the NBNF podcast but it's not the injuries that I'm concerned with as much as his seriousness and commitment to playing the game. He honestly did not look to me to be in good condition to start the season and IMO that contributed to him getting injured. When the rest of your "foundation" teammates (Randle and Barrett) are coming in in great shape and mindset you cannot come in looking like you're 15-20lbs heavy and slower than you were in previous seasons (which is what Robinson looked to me). Honestly go watch some of his games from his rookie season and this season and you guys will see what I mean. He's thicker (not more muscular) this season and noticeably slower.

Now before anyone starts talking about trading him and resigning/starting Nerlens Noel...no...just no. That's not what I meant, where I was going with this nor what I was thinking lol. Let's not get carried away.

I guess that could've been it, but I thought Mitch just looked like he had bulked up a little. While the reason he didn't look as freaky was moreso because he was no longer jumping at everything & trying to defend from the ground to avoid fouling as much, rather than him not still being freakishly athletic :dontknow:

I don't know about that. He just looked thicker. Randle looked bulked up. RJ looked bulked up. Big difference. Randle and RJ both looked faster and more explosive. Robinson? He just looked bigger but slower and less explosive.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#142 » by Nazrmohamed » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:40 pm

cgf wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
1999 wrote:I remember another Knicks big man being injured early on in his career. Marcus Camby. It would be a mistake to trade Mitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I agree in the sense that you have to trade him based on anything we've recently seen. Alot of fans react to things and want to trade a player the moment they don't like something they say or based on an injury or belief that they'll want more money. In that regard I don't want to trade Mitch. However he's not untouchable to me if you truly are getting an upgrade. I don't think we really have a player like that on the roster so I'll always listen but again......he's not on the trade block as if I'm advertising that I need to get this guy out of here.

Getting an upgrade on Mitch is harder than people make it sound. Some guys might be able to shoot 3s better, but you're going to be losing some rim-protection / PNR-defense / finishing-as-a-roll-man unless we're getting AD...and I dunno if that actually helps us unless we're talking about someone who's 38% or better from 3.

Well just to play devils advocate Miles Turner has defended just about as well as Mitch ever has, including the 1st 2 yrs where just like Mitch he chased blocks, however he gives you the added benefit of giving Randle an additional option to pass to on offense other than a lob.

Statistically won't wow anybody but that's the problem, in all of Mitches awesomeness he has yet to surpass 10 pts. Obviously the retort is defense but alas, I just provided you with someone who also plays great defense. But yeah, 9&7. I know it can't all be measured there, believe me on that but still. At that stat line......well I guess we saw it already with Noel. You can replicate it. So now if you can replicate it and maybe do so at a cheaper cost than Mitch, then WHY NOT consider an alternative skillset, an upgrade or hey, truth is trades are rarely two same position players. Could be for that PG you think can transform your team and maybe you accept a little downgrade at C.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,908

Post#143 » by cgf » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:01 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
cgf wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
Well I agree in the sense that you have to trade him based on anything we've recently seen. Alot of fans react to things and want to trade a player the moment they don't like something they say or based on an injury or belief that they'll want more money. In that regard I don't want to trade Mitch. However he's not untouchable to me if you truly are getting an upgrade. I don't think we really have a player like that on the roster so I'll always listen but again......he's not on the trade block as if I'm advertising that I need to get this guy out of here.

Getting an upgrade on Mitch is harder than people make it sound. Some guys might be able to shoot 3s better, but you're going to be losing some rim-protection / PNR-defense / finishing-as-a-roll-man unless we're getting AD...and I dunno if that actually helps us unless we're talking about someone who's 38% or better from 3.

Well just to play devils advocate Miles Turner has defended just about as well as Mitch ever has, including the 1st 2 yrs where just like Mitch he chased blocks, however he gives you the added benefit of giving Randle an additional option to pass to on offense other than a lob.

Statistically won't wow anybody but that's the problem, in all of Mitches awesomeness he has yet to surpass 10 pts. Obviously the retort is defense but alas, I just provided you with someone who also plays great defense. But yeah, 9&7. I know it can't all be measured there, believe me on that but still. At that stat line......well I guess we saw it already with Noel. You can replicate it. So now if you can replicate it and maybe do so at a cheaper cost than Mitch, then WHY NOT consider an alternative skillset, an upgrade or hey, truth is trades are rarely two same position players. Could be for that PG you think can transform your team and maybe you accept a little downgrade at C.

Gunna have to agree to disagree with you there. Turner blocks shots well, but using that to aruge he's as good a defender as Mitch is like arguing that Nerlens is as good a defender as mitch because of his blocks...and anyone who watched them this season can tell you how silly that would be. Turner simply isn't as good a PNR defender or as good when switched onto smaller guys, and he gets rag-dolled by Embiid & Jokic just as much as.

And the reason Turner gets left wide open on the perimeter is that teams want Turner shooting 3s against them; he's just bad at it. So I don't get why people keep bringing it up as though Turner was Bropez or Ibaka. He has topped 36% once in his career, and that season he took 2.5 3s a game. Since upping his volume, the best he's shot was 34%...which was enough for us to all call Julius a non-shooter when we signed him...

Then there's the cost, as Mitch counts for less than 2M this season & his caphold next summer will be less than 2M as well; as opposed to Turner who's making Randle-money...and we'd have to waste some of our assets on making that swap.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#144 » by rammagen » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:43 pm

cgf wrote:
rammagen wrote:
cgf wrote:We need a PG & another shot-creator whether we keep Mitch or manage to upgrade on him.

we do but it will effect who we acquire money wise for cap management

Which is exactly why I don't understand people wanting to use our assets or cap space on a Center before we've upgraded on Elf and gotten another shot-creator :dontknow:

Once we've resolved those two more pressing issues we can re-assess where we stand wrt Mitch.

that choie goes hand in hand you want something back for mitch if you are not going to pay him correct? So if you use him to acquire a pg for example two birds with one stone
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
Ph@t Joe
Senior
And1: 136

Post#145 » by Ph@t Joe » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:56 pm

I'm really confused! Spotrac says Mitchell Robinson is owed 1.8 Million,

but what is his Cap Hold?

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-york-knicks/mitchell-robinson-27002/

2nd Question:

Do we really have $73 Million in CAP SPACE this Summer?

According to this article we do:

https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/261138/2021-NBA-Cap-Space-Projecting-All-30-Teams

The way I calculated is this:

Julius Randle (19.8)
RJ Barrett (8.7)
Joakim Noah (6.5)
Obi Toppin (5.1)
Im Quickley (2.2)
M. Robinson (1.8)
7 Rosters Spots (3.5) (7 x 500,000)

Trade for More Cap Space

Frank Ntilikina (8.3)
Kevin Knox (5.9)

Non Guaranteed (Also tradeable for More Cap Space)

Luca Vildoza (3.3)
19th Pick (2.7)
21st Pick (2.5)

So the way I calculate it is if we trade Frank Ntilikina & Kevin Knox for Cap Space,

Trade the 19th Pick & 21 Pick to a Cap Space Team (I absolutely would never ever do this :lol: )

And not pick up Luca Vildoza contact option,

Against a 112 Million Cap, I have 47.6 in Guaranteed Salaries which equals

64.4 Million in Cap Space, not 73 Million in Cap Space

So what am I missing? Is it Mitchell Robinson's Cap HOLD?
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,261

Post#146 » by DOT » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:28 pm

Ph@t Joe wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm really confused! Spotrac says Mitchell Robinson is owed 1.8 Million,

but what is his Cap Hold?

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-york-knicks/mitchell-robinson-27002/

2nd Question:

Do we really have $73 Million in CAP SPACE this Summer?

According to this article we do:

https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/261138/2021-NBA-Cap-Space-Projecting-All-30-Teams

The way I calculated is this:

Julius Randle (19.8)
RJ Barrett (8.7)
Joakim Noah (6.5)
Obi Toppin (5.1)
Im Quickley (2.2)
M. Robinson (1.8)
7 Rosters Spots (3.5) (7 x 500,000)

Trade for More Cap Space

Frank Ntilikina (8.3)
Kevin Knox (5.9)

Non Guaranteed (Also tradeable for More Cap Space)

Luca Vildoza (3.3)
19th Pick (2.7)
21st Pick (2.5)

So the way I calculate it is if we trade Frank Ntilikina & Kevin Knox for Cap Space,

Trade the 19th Pick & 21 Pick to a Cap Space Team (I absolutely would never ever do this :lol: )

And not pick up Luca Vildoza contact option,

Against a 112 Million Cap, I have 47.6 in Guaranteed Salaries which equals

64.4 Million in Cap Space, not 73 Million in Cap Space

So what am I missing? Is it Mitchell Robinson's Cap HOLD?

You've been explained this multiple times

Please stop copying this post and pasting it into threads. Thank you.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe

Return to New York Knicks