ImageImageImageImageImage

The Return of Mitchell Robinson

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,085

Re: The Return of Mitchell Robinson 

Post#41 » by moocow007 » Mon May 17, 2021 5:13 pm

iLLmatic860 wrote:
cgf wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:Mitch gonna want a bag. Until he can shoot a 3 or show any improvement on offense. I'm not tryna pay him

But you're happy to pay a Mitch-knockoff with crappy hands?

For way less money

Absolutely

What makes you think Noel will take less money? This is the same guy that turned down 4 years $70 million from Dallas cause he felt he was worth the max.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#42 » by Barcs » Mon May 17, 2021 6:26 pm

robillionaire wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:
cgf wrote:But you're happy to pay a Mitch-knockoff with crappy hands?

For way less money

Absolutely

Less money for a better outcome! We were 12-15 with Mitch before he got injured the first time looking lottery bound and then 29-16 the rest of the way and y’all swore the season was over, now we have home court advantage in the playoffs. that’s why I support nerlens, I like when the Knicks win. Team tank wants mitch back. Plus Mitch will be looking like eddy curry by next season. He will hang out with Elfrid Payton at Popeyes and eating gumbo all summer since he’s unable to walk

That's not really fair. The surge in wins wasn't caused by Mitch being out, it was caused by adding Derick Rose and RJ Barrett improving his game.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,260

Post#43 » by iLLmatic860 » Mon May 17, 2021 6:58 pm

moocow007 wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:

For way less money

Absolutely

What makes you think Noel will take less money? This is the same guy that turned down 4 years $70 million from Dallas cause he felt he was worth the max.

If Noel wants to get paid

Ill roll with Mitch all day

Let me make that clear. I’m not saying Noel is better. I just think he is worth less than what Mitch will ask for
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,285

Post#44 » by RHODEY » Mon May 17, 2021 11:21 pm

seren wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
seren wrote:Not sure Mitch is the solution but Noel is good for certain situations but not for every possession. He does well as help defender. He is just not good against big guys. We need someone big in the middle. If we happen to advance to the second round, Embid will have fun time.

Yeah one certain "situation" was helping us win 16 out of our last 20 games. Mitch is the more talented but is he any more effective when it comes to winning than Noel has been lately?

For a cheap knockoff Noel has managed to come in 2nd in blocks ..in limited minutes. And these are no empty stat blocks..they've come at critical moments... I just don't think he gets enough credit for his contributions.

I don't disagree but it comes down to matchups when it is playoff time. Noel should be part of our long term solution at the center spot. However, we do need another big who wouldn't be pushed around.

Right, but is that other guy Mitch? He's bigger but even he had trouble with the behemoths.
TBri1974
Pro Prospect
And1: 385

Post#45 » by TBri1974 » Tue May 18, 2021 12:03 am

I was looking forward to bringing Noel back - I love the way he plays and think he has been huge for this team - but realistically someone is going to pay him a lot and want him to start (Sacramento, Charlotte, Boston - who knows). Assuming we see Mitch as the way forward and don't trade him prior to the draft (or during free agency), I think Noel will walk and we'll draft a center or give Mitch/Taj/Pelle/Randle a go. I would love Noel back, but I don't think we should go beyond 8-10 per year for him, and I see someone giving him at least 15 per and a chance to start full-time.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#46 » by robillionaire » Tue May 18, 2021 1:39 am

TBri1974 wrote:I was looking forward to bringing Noel back - I love the way he plays and think he has been huge for this team - but realistically someone is going to pay him a lot and want him to start (Sacramento, Charlotte, Boston - who knows). Assuming we see Mitch as the way forward and don't trade him prior to the draft (or during free agency), I think Noel will walk and we'll draft a center or give Mitch/Taj/Pelle/Randle a go. I would love Noel back, but I don't think we should go beyond 8-10 per year for him, and I see someone giving him at least 15 per and a chance to start full-time.

Maybe he likes being in New York. Maybe he likes working with Kenny Payne and Thibs and gives us a discount. Who knows really
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,743

Post#47 » by cgf » Tue May 18, 2021 1:44 am

robillionaire wrote:
TBri1974 wrote:I was looking forward to bringing Noel back - I love the way he plays and think he has been huge for this team - but realistically someone is going to pay him a lot and want him to start (Sacramento, Charlotte, Boston - who knows). Assuming we see Mitch as the way forward and don't trade him prior to the draft (or during free agency), I think Noel will walk and we'll draft a center or give Mitch/Taj/Pelle/Randle a go. I would love Noel back, but I don't think we should go beyond 8-10 per year for him, and I see someone giving him at least 15 per and a chance to start full-time.

Maybe he likes being in New York. Maybe he likes working with Kenny Payne and Thibs and gives us a discount. Who knows really

We still shouldn't be committing any long-term money to him this summer when we have a younger & better version of him signed for nothing next season, need to upgrade on Elf this summer, and could be Max-hunting in the summer of 2022.

So if Nerlens is going to turn down a multi-year offer...again...then sure, but if he wants term he's probably going to have to get it somewhere else.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#48 » by robillionaire » Tue May 18, 2021 2:03 am

cgf wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

We still shouldn't be committing any long-term money to him this summer when we have a younger & better version of him signed for nothing next season, need to upgrade on Elf this summer, and could be Max-hunting in the summer of 2022.

So if Nerlens is going to turn down a multi-year offer...again...then sure, but if he wants term he's probably going to have to get it somewhere else.

Thibs the other day commented that he’s the anchor of our defense, he might think he’s more important to our success than y’all do

“[Noel’s] gift is obviously the rim protection, obviously his pick-and-roll defense is outstanding. Those blocks were huge from us, got us into the open floor, created some easy scores,” coach Tom Thibodeau said. “He probably could have had a couple more. One he knocked in, the other one I thought was real close, it ended up being a goal tending play.

“And then he alters a lot of shots because everyone is looking for him. He has great value, he’s the anchor of the defense.”
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,743

Post#49 » by cgf » Tue May 18, 2021 2:05 am

robillionaire wrote:
cgf wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

Thibs the other day commented that he’s the anchor of our defense, he might think he’s more important to our success than y’all do

And when Thibs had Mitch available to him, he called Mitch our defensive anchor. Noel's filled in admirably, but he's still just a fill-in.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,258
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#50 » by BKlutch » Tue May 18, 2021 2:19 am

moocow007 wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:

For way less money

Absolutely

If they'd offered that money to me, I'd have swallowed my pride and accepted it. I know, life is so hard.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

BKlutch
RealGM

Post#51 » by BKlutch » Tue May 18, 2021 2:21 am

robillionaire wrote:

Good point. How many of us wouldn't accept just a little bit less to play with Thibs, Payne, etc? We're smart guys, and we'd work for just a few $Millions. I'm ready tomorrow.

Disclaimer: No, I can't play at that level or anywhere near it.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

BKlutch
RealGM

Post#52 » by BKlutch » Tue May 18, 2021 2:24 am

cgf wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
cgf wrote:We still shouldn't be committing any long-term money to him this summer when we have a younger & better version of him signed for nothing next season, need to upgrade on Elf this summer, and could be Max-hunting in the summer of 2022.

And when Thibs had Mitch available to him, he called Mitch our defensive anchor. Noel's filled in admirably, but he's still just a fill-in.

I'm glad someone else hasn't forgotten this.

Mitch plays much better defense away from the rim — he's so much more disruptive to their offense. Noel is too undersized, although he is playing his heart out for us. Mitch has big, sticky hands. Noel has hands of stone.

Mitch's only glaring deficiency is his lack of shooting. "There no J in Mitch Robinson."

waya
RealGM
And1: 5,128

Post#53 » by waya » Tue May 18, 2021 2:25 am

Love Mitch and hope we keep him but some of the fanboying around here for him is... interesting.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,085

Post#54 » by moocow007 » Tue May 18, 2021 4:48 pm

So I mentioned on the NBNF podcast...

I understand that folks really like the guys on this team and I would like to bring as many of them back as possible, but you have to realize that a lot of how they have been playing and performing as a group has to do with Thibs and his coaching staff. Realize that none of these guys prior to the season were known as defensive stars. The fact that they are the top defensive team is an indication that the system creates them. What does that mean? It means that the chances that the Knicks defense tanking next season if we don't bring these guys back is a bit farfetched...and on offense they can only go up right? So everyone is zoned in on the "Next man up" mantra right? Well that also applies to guys that are not on the team that, if any of these current Knick FA's price themselves out, can step in and perform the same type of roles and give the Knicks the same type of results. That's what a great culture and a system creates, it's why that's important...so you can lose players and not be impacted by it.

So don't get so locked in on must keeping any one guy.
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,359

Post#55 » by Ray Williams » Tue May 18, 2021 6:37 pm

waya wrote:Love Mitch and hope we keep him but some of the fanboying around here for him is... interesting.

If by fanboying you mean appreciating great defense why would that be interesting? I hope we keep him but find some of the posts here ...assholish.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#56 » by nedleeds » Tue May 18, 2021 6:41 pm

waya wrote:Love Mitch and hope we keep him but some of the fanboying around here for him is... interesting.

Fanboying for a 22 year old shot blocking monster with good hands who set the FG% record all while playing with mostly junk point guards. Sure.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,554

Post#57 » by Capn'O » Tue May 18, 2021 6:48 pm

moocow007 wrote:So I mentioned on the NBNF podcast...

I understand that folks really like the guys on this team and I would like to bring as many of them back as possible, but you have to realize that a lot of how they have been playing and performing as a group has to do with Thibs and his coaching staff. Realize that none of these guys prior to the season were known as defensive stars. The fact that they are the top defensive team is an indication that the system creates them. What does that mean? It means that the chances that the Knicks defense tanking next season if we don't bring these guys back is a bit farfetched...and on offense they can only go up right? So everyone is zoned in on the "Next man up" mantra right? Well that also applies to guys that are not on the team that, if any of these current Knick FA's price themselves out, can step in and perform the same type of roles and give the Knicks the same type of results. That's what a great culture and a system creates, it's why that's important...so you can lose players and not be impacted by it.

It's plug and chug for sure. I'd look to bring Rose back for sure though. Not a lot of guys can do what he's doing and he's a Thibs guy. A Lonzo/Rose backcourt would be NASTY under Thibs. Then Bullock, as he's always been a two-way guy and I think he harbors some good will towards the org for how his injury situation played out two years back.

Taj... will be back too. Extend Mitch. Then get your plug and chug guys. This is a likely scenario I see happening anyway.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,138

Post#58 » by thebuzzardman » Tue May 18, 2021 6:59 pm

Excellent post.

Who on this team is being named to an all NBA defensive team this season? I bet not one player.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,138

Post#59 » by thebuzzardman » Tue May 18, 2021 7:02 pm

Capn'O wrote:

It's plug and chug for sure. I'd look to bring Rose back for sure though. Not a lot of guys can do what he's doing and he's a Thibs guy. A Lonzo/Rose backcourt would be NASTY under Thibs. Then Bullock, as he's always been a two-way guy and I think he harbors some good will towards the org for how his injury situation played out two years back.

Taj... will be back too. Extend Mitch. Then get your plug and chug guys. This is a likely scenario I see happening anyway.

I think Kildozer is already a hedge against Burks leaving. Or at least another player to fill that combo guard bench role.
Knicks even hedged a bit on Burks by bringing in Rivers.

I'd like to see more guys return than not for the continuity it brings and possible evolution to the offense based on familiarity with the base of it, but I won't be heartbroken by some not coming back.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#60 » by F N 11 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:08 pm

Thibs mentioned possibly get Mitch back in the breakfast club. That was tough looking at DJ Envys POS face.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.

Return to New York Knicks