ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks point guard options in offseason

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

What the Knicks should do this summer?

sign Lonzo on a multi-year deal
41%
trade our youth an picks for Lillard or other superstar PG
22%
sign Lowry/Conley probably on 1+1 contract (player option)
32%
sign Schroder (3/45
5%

Total votes: 147

Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,988

Re: Knicks point guard options in offseason 

Post#41 » by Richard4444 » Mon May 17, 2021 6:53 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:No clue what Luca brings. Could be Vildozer....could be Dildozer. Rose will
most likely get a new deal but...not sure what kind of money. Thibs loves him some Rose but...we need another PG.

Luca and IQ are the only guards we have on the books next year. The roster is pretty bare all around.

IQ/Luca
RJ
Knox
Randle/Toppin
Mitch/Pelle

That's all we have signed for next year. Trashbag/Frank(QO)/Rose/Burks/Bullock/Noel/Taj all FA in a weak FA year. Plenty of money to spend...nothing to spend it on.

Its likely we will re-sign Rose, Bullock and Taj. They are Thibs Guys and they really fit well with the system and the roster. I don't see a good reason to not come back next year.

D.Rose played very well last 2 seasons and he could not get a better deal than 7M/y. He will be 33 years, kind injury-prone, and should want to contend for a ring. He will not make more than MLE. I believe we can get him for 7-10M/y. Even if he asks for more, we can give him more because his cap Hold is 10M.

Bullocks made a great season after some underwhelming seasons. We have his Early Birds Rights (His cap hold is 5.5M) and we could give him an MLE kind of money (possible multiyear contract). He should not receive much higher offers. He should stay with Thibs, in a contender team, in a great city, in a system he already knows, with a roster who likes him.

Taj will be 36 years. He is a vet minimum guy. He could not get a contract until the middle of the season. I believe he will be back. He is a Thibs guy and still can help.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,517

Post#42 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon May 17, 2021 7:10 pm

The Knicks do need a lead guard who can handle the ball, score and play off the ball.

But I don't think we necessarily need a nominal point guard. Randle's playmaking (not his scoring) is what turned him into an All-NBA player and a winner. RJ's second-best attribute after his 3-point shooting (crazy) is his playmaking in the pick-and-roll. We have Rose and Quickley to run our bench units. So do we really need a ball-dominant floor general?

The Knicks should throw the kitchen sink at Lavine and secure him before he signs an extension with Chicago.

Above all, the Knicks need to get easier shots, and Lavine could get to the rim at will attacking close-outs, cutting to the basket and spotting up from 3. His 63.4 TS% is elite, MVP-level scoring efficiency. He doesn't have the playmaking to run an offense full-time, but Randle does, and he could share the court with Rose some if Thibs staggers the line-ups.

Lavine
RJ
Bullock
Randle
Mitch/Noel

Two other names I like are Rozier (via trade) and maybe Conley (via FA). Lonzo and Schoeder don't move the needle.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,914

Post#43 » by KnixtapeH20 » Mon May 17, 2021 7:11 pm

Give me Lowry or Conley all day. Perfect compliment to our finals push. Crazy to say this but we are built to win in the intermediate and future.
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#44 » by Richard4444 » Mon May 17, 2021 8:16 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:The Knicks do need a lead guard who can handle the ball, score and play off the ball.

But I don't think we necessarily need a nominal point guard. Randle's playmaking (not his scoring) is what turned him into an All-NBA player and a winner. RJ's second-best attribute after his 3-point shooting (crazy) is his playmaking in the pick-and-roll. We have Rose and Quickley to run our bench units. So do we really need a ball-dominant floor general?

The Knicks should throw the kitchen sink at Lavine and secure him before he signs an extension with Chicago.

Above all, the Knicks need to get easier shots, and Lavine could get to the rim at will attacking close-outs, cutting to the basket and spotting up from 3. His 63.4 TS% is elite, MVP-level scoring efficiency. He doesn't have the playmaking to run an offense full-time, but Randle does, and he could share the court with Rose some if Thibs staggers the line-ups.

Lavine
RJ
Bullock
Randle
Mitch/Noel

Two other names I like are Rozier (via trade) and maybe Conley (via FA). Lonzo and Schoeder don't move the needle.

Forget about Lavine. I like him. But the Bulls dont want to trade him. We will have to massive overpay to get him. I am out...

The Bulls overpaid to get Vuc to build a win-now team and convince Lavine to stay. They went all in.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
MoochieNorris
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,443

Post#45 » by MoochieNorris » Mon May 17, 2021 8:17 pm

lonzo would be a great fit for this team. if we could get him for 3/60, i'd be very into it.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,376
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#46 » by BKlutch » Mon May 17, 2021 8:27 pm

My Net's fan friend (OK, some Nets fans are ok, I guess) keeps saying we should try to sign Dinwiddie. I don't know enough about him other than he seemed to be a combo guard, and he'd need to show he's in good health after his injury.

Is there any reason we should pursue him? (serious question)

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,432

Post#47 » by duetta » Mon May 17, 2021 8:28 pm

I agree that we should avoid any repeat of the Anthony trade. Let's use our assets wisely.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#48 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon May 17, 2021 8:39 pm

We don't know until we vet Vildozer...
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Trademarkk
Senior
And1: 246

Post#49 » by Trademarkk » Mon May 17, 2021 8:44 pm

Schroder or Lowry.
Let Chicago trade more draft picks for Lonzo.

Then we can give Chicago a couple draft picks when Lavine demands out from that treadmill team.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#50 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon May 17, 2021 9:22 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:The Knicks do need a lead guard who can handle the ball, score and play off the ball.

Lavine
RJ
Bullock
Randle
Mitch/Noel

Forget about Lavine. I like him. But the Bulls dont want to trade him. We will have to massive overpay to get him. I am out...

The Bulls overpaid to get Vuc to build a win-now team and convince Lavine to stay. They went all in.

And they are a worse team for it.

If the Bulls fail to make the playoffs again, Lavine will consider all his options, unless he signs an extension before next year's trade deadline because he prioritizes financial security or continuity over winning.

I would trade both Dallas picks, and two additional firsts, and maybe a player for Lavine this summer. If Chicago aren't competitive and get the feeling Lavine will leave, they will listen to trade offers. By that time, his trade value might go down.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,918

Post#51 » by cgf » Mon May 17, 2021 9:25 pm

Lavine
RJ
Bullock
Randle
Mitch/Noel

Throw Lonzo in so Reggie can come off of the bench with Rose, IQ & Obi, and that's my dream lineup for the 2022-2023 season:

Lonzo | Derrick | 2021 FRP
Lavine | Quickley | Vildoza
Barrett | Bullock | 2021 FRP
Randle | Toppin | 2021 SRP
Robinson | Toppin | '22 FRP

Lonzo isn't a game changer, but he'd be a really good fit alongside Julius, RJ & Zach, has room for further growth, and you can never have enough 3&D guys...especially ones that can bring the ball up the court & really pass.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,868

Post#52 » by 8516knicks » Mon May 17, 2021 10:47 pm

McConnell sounds good paired with Rose and DV. Hope DV is young Jose without the Ole. But adding Conley/Lowry for a year or two might put us as a threat for the finals/or EC finals and they should be affordable at their age. Don't think Lonzo or Schroeder does that. No one has mentioned Dragic, does he have anything left in the tank?
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#53 » by newyorker4ever » Tue May 18, 2021 1:07 am

camby23 wrote:What the Knicks should do this summer?

Trade everything (within reason.....kinda) for Jalen Suggs.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Re: Knicks point gurad options in offseason 

Post#54 » by newyorker4ever » Tue May 18, 2021 1:10 am

cgf wrote:Gimme Lonzo, if we can sign him to a contract around what we gave Julius to leave NOLA & don't commit any other future money this summer, we'll have plenty of wiggle room to open a max slot next offseason if Lavine makes it to FA. If he doesn't, then we've still got all of our futures & a max cap slot with which to trade for that third star to help Julius & RJ start really making some noise.

I get that Lonzo isn't the dynamic scorer some folks want, but he fits this team really well and could both bolster us for next season by actually giving us what folks wish Frank did, while also being a great fit next to a big 3 if we do get lucky next summer. Big, smart, a legit 3baller, he's a good defender with the size & versatility Thibs seems to want from his starter...and with Julius, RJ & hopefully a third creator in the lineup moving forward, we wouldn't need him to provide penetration. Plus he's in the core's age range & still has room to grow with them.

It's not the sexy move, but I think he's the best fit & signing him sets us up for that sexy move.

I'm sure some in our front office have already spoken to J.Randle about what Lonzo was like as a teammate and whatever else they'd want to know.
cgf
RealGM

Re: Knicks point gurad options in offseason 

Post#55 » by cgf » Tue May 18, 2021 1:13 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
cgf wrote:Gimme Lonzo, if we can sign him to a contract around what we gave Julius to leave NOLA & don't commit any other future money this summer, we'll have plenty of wiggle room to open a max slot next offseason if Lavine makes it to FA. If he doesn't, then we've still got all of our futures & a max cap slot with which to trade for that third star to help Julius & RJ start really making some noise.

I get that Lonzo isn't the dynamic scorer some folks want, but he fits this team really well and could both bolster us for next season by actually giving us what folks wish Frank did, while also being a great fit next to a big 3 if we do get lucky next summer. Big, smart, a legit 3baller, he's a good defender with the size & versatility Thibs seems to want from his starter...and with Julius, RJ & hopefully a third creator in the lineup moving forward, we wouldn't need him to provide penetration. Plus he's in the core's age range & still has room to grow with them.

It's not the sexy move, but I think he's the best fit & signing him sets us up for that sexy move.

I'm sure some in our front office have already spoken to J.Randle about what Lonzo was like as a teammate and whatever else they'd want to know.

Yep, working their connections is something I think we can safely trust this FO to do lol. So if we go after him, we can feel confident that he's got the right mindset for this core & is ready to put in the work it takes to become one of "the Big 15"...

... :lol: :lol: :lol: god that s*** is so corny that I can't help but love it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Richard4444
General Manager

Post#56 » by Richard4444 » Tue May 18, 2021 1:25 am

newyorker4ever wrote:

Nobody is trading a Top3 pick for a bunch of small assets. And we are not trading RJ or Randle for a untested player

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,283

Post#57 » by Oscirus » Tue May 18, 2021 1:26 am

Richard4444 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Nobody is trading a Top3 pick for a bunch of small assets. And we are not trading RJ or Randle for a untested player

and I doubt that anybody would make such a trade if we offered barring us offering them both
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#58 » by newyorker4ever » Tue May 18, 2021 1:27 am

Richard4444 wrote:

Lavine
RJ
Bullock
Randle
Mitch/Noel

Yeah it seems like the Bulls are more focused on getting a legit PG so they can play Lavine at his more natural position at SG. They're supposedly right there with the Knicks on their interest in Lonzo this offseason.

There's a number of options i'm good with to finally get us a legit PG whether it's draft, trade or free agency.

I wouldn't mind getting J.Giddey, even if we have to trade up some spots, and playing him with D.Rose and Luca. Giddey's a true PG with good vision and passing.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#59 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue May 18, 2021 1:30 am

cgf wrote:

Lavine
RJ
Bullock
Randle
Mitch/Noel

Throw Lonzo in so Reggie can come off of the bench with Rose, IQ & Obi, and that's my dream lineup for the 2022-2023 season:

Lonzo | Derrick | 2021 FRP
Lavine | Quickley | Vildoza
Barrett | Bullock | 2021 FRP
Randle | Toppin | 2021 SRP
Robinson | Toppin | '22 FRP

Lonzo isn't a game changer, but he'd be a really good fit alongside Julius, RJ & Zach, has room for further growth, and you can never have enough 3&D guys...especially ones that can bring the ball up the court & really pass.

Not a huge Lonzo fan, and definitely wouldn't sign him as a primary ball-handler, but he'd definitely make sense and be a good fit with Lavine. Lonzo's not a priority from my point of view but as a secondary piece, why not.
cgf
RealGM

Post#60 » by cgf » Tue May 18, 2021 1:30 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:

Lavine
RJ
Bullock
Randle
Mitch/Noel

Yeah it seems like the Bulls are more focused on getting a legit PG so they can play Lavine at his more natural position at SG. They're supposedly right there with the Knicks on their interest in Lonzo this offseason.

There's a number of options i'm good with to finally get us a legit PG whether it's draft, trade or free agency.

I wouldn't mind getting J.Giddey, even if we have to trade up some spots, and playing him with D.Rose and Luca. Giddey's a true PG with good vision and passing.

So we swipe Lonzo from them & leave Lavine with the Coby/Sato duo as his PGs again...ensuring that he gets frustrated by the losing and leaves them next summer as FA! 8-)

Return to New York Knicks