ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks point guard options in offseason

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

What the Knicks should do this summer?

sign Lonzo on a multi-year deal
41%
trade our youth an picks for Lillard or other superstar PG
22%
sign Lowry/Conley probably on 1+1 contract (player option)
32%
sign Schroder (3/45
5%

Total votes: 147

Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,106

Re: Knicks point guard options in offseason 

Post#501 » by Fat Kat » Sat Jun 5, 2021 6:12 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Seems pretty clear that he didn’t think that Lonzo was good enough to man the position. And you know how tight Thibs is with the Van Gundy family.

Lonzo improved his standstill shooting but he can't shoot off the dribble or run a high PnR. He's anus at finishing around the basket and in general doesn't have the burst or skill to get around NBA defenders 1v1. It's fast break or he's a stand still shooter in half court, which isn't a bad person to have on your roster but not for $24 million. Plus injured a bunch.

Lonzo is another 3D player. He's definitely not a point guard.

I’ve been trying to tell them, but they won’t listen
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
ENYK
Junior
And1: 254

Post#502 » by ENYK » Sat Jun 5, 2021 6:15 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
Lonzo improved his standstill shooting but he can't shoot off the dribble or run a high PnR. He's anus at finishing around the basket and in general doesn't have the burst or skill to get around NBA defenders 1v1. It's fast break or he's a stand still shooter in half court, which isn't a bad person to have on your roster but not for $24 million. Plus injured a bunch.

Lonzo would provide us with a similar skill set to RJ (with better open court passing) for 2-3 times the cost.

Definite hard pass.
louisorr
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,386

Post#503 » by louisorr » Sat Jun 5, 2021 6:34 pm

ENYK wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Lonzo is another 3D player. He's definitely not a point guard.

Lonzo would provide us with a similar skill set to RJ (with better open court passing) for 2-3 times the cost.

Definite hard pass.

Then again even if he's just a better Frank it still improves the team. Bottom line is the most valuable franchise in sports shouldn't be operating at the cap floor (unless it's strategic), so if they want to sign Ball, while I wouldn't be thrilled, I wouldn't hate it.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,248

Post#504 » by Chanel Bomber » Sat Jun 5, 2021 6:45 pm

louisorr wrote:
ENYK wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:

Definite hard pass.

Then again even if he's just a better Frank it still improves the team. Bottom line is the most valuable franchise in sports shouldn't be operating at the cap floor (unless it's strategic), so if they want to sign Ball, while I wouldn't be thrilled, I wouldn't hate it.

Filling the roster with bang average players makes us worse.

The Knicks need to prioritize quality over quantity in the immediate future, and fill out the roster later.

imo
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#505 » by Chanel Bomber » Sat Jun 5, 2021 6:49 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

What do you expect, they're all horrible people.

These people are doomed, DOOMED!
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,662

Post#506 » by nedleeds » Sat Jun 5, 2021 6:50 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
louisorr wrote:
ENYK wrote:

Definite hard pass.

The Knicks need to prioritize quality over quantity in the immediate future, and fill out the roster later.

imo

Just sign Frank for 3/$12 million vs. Lonzo for 4/$26 million at that point. Again this team isn't winning anything any time soon. But the FO likely doesn't think that way, they'll eat the CAA peyote and think we're close to a 2 seed when we're more like a 8th seed.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,367

Post#507 » by god shammgod » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:55 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
louisorr wrote:
ENYK wrote:

Definite hard pass.

imo

Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#508 » by Chanel Bomber » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:15 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
louisorr wrote:Then again even if he's just a better Frank it still improves the team. Bottom line is the most valuable franchise in sports shouldn't be operating at the cap floor (unless it's strategic), so if they want to sign Ball, while I wouldn't be thrilled, I wouldn't hate it.

imo

Julius Vucevic
RJ Gordon
Reggie Fournier
Obi Isaac
Elfrid Carter-Williams
Alec Ross
GM Scott Perry

Spoiler:
Mitchell Bamba :o
ENYK
Junior
And1: 254

Post#509 » by ENYK » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:20 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Filling the roster with bang average players makes us worse.

imo

Julius Vucevic
RJ Gordon
Reggie Fournier
Obi Isaac
Elfrid Carter-Williams
Alec Ross
GM Scott Perry

Spoiler:
Mitchell Bamba :o

I have no doubt in my mind that Markelle Fultz will one day be a Knick... And we will sign him to some sort of multi year deal.
Wharton Alum 08
Sixth Man
And1: 335

Post#510 » by Wharton Alum 08 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 11:12 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Pry Brogdon from the Pacers.

He's hurt every 5 days. None of these twats changes ****. Just start IQ.

He played 56 out of 72 games in a COVID season where everyone was hurt. Plus, he'll have Rose backing him up at PG.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/brogdma01.html

Forget about Thibs starting IQ. That'll never happen.

Man it seems like it’s become a forgone conclusion on here Rose will be back but I doubt if a big minute PG is signed he walks. He was literally the second best player when he was traded and the best in the playoffs. You think he wants to play 15-20 minutes a game
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,426

Post#511 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:15 am

Wharton Alum 08 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
He's hurt every 5 days. None of these twats changes ****. Just start IQ.

He played 56 out of 72 games in a COVID season where everyone was hurt. Plus, he'll have Rose backing him up at PG.

Man it seems like it’s become a forgone conclusion on here Rose will be back but I doubt if a big minute PG is signed he walks. He was literally the second best player when he was traded and the best in the playoffs. You think he wants to play 15-20 minutes a game

He wants/needs to play no more than 25 mpg. He'll need to be managed. No other team will be looking to sign DRose to start and play 32-5 mpg. He'd never last a full season.
Free Palestine
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,787

Post#512 » by Adelheid » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:35 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Wharton Alum 08 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I wants/needs to play no more than 25 mpg. He'll need to be managed. No other team will be looking to sign DRose to start and play 32-5 mpg. He'd never last a full season.

Hopefully he gets signed back as the backup. We all wanted him to return after his performance this season. But he would be in a body bag if he is billed as a starter considering that Thibs gives starters huge minutes
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,285

Post#513 » by Zenzibar » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:09 am

What are you guys hearing on the Kendrick Nunn front? An Payton/Reggie Bullock replacement?

According to SNY’s Ian Begley, the Knicks are keeping a close eye on Nunn ahead of free agency. The second-year player enjoyed a breakout rookie campaign last season as he played a key part in Miami’s run to the finals, averaging 15.3 points and 3.3 assists per night. In 2020/21, his numbers took a slight dip, but Nunn still put up 14.6 points while improving his clip from downtown to 38%.

Ghetto Gospel
Veteran
And1: 2,534

Post#514 » by Ghetto Gospel » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:11 am

this the guy y'all want?

nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,662

Post#515 » by nedleeds » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:13 am

Ghetto Gospel wrote:this the guy y'all want?

He got one thing right, he's not playin' no more. He got injured and they missed the playoffs despite the NBA trying everything to get ZIon in.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,866

Post#516 » by nykballa2k4 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:24 am

aggo wrote:UNDER NO circumstances can Randle be our best player heading into next season

What is it that you guys can’t comprehend about this???!!

Why? How many players are realistically better than he is and available?
We are better served to build like the early 00's Pistons and then when a lead dog becomes available, that piece takes us over the top.

My preference would be to trade for Kemba and obtain an asset for taking on his contract.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,931

Post#517 » by TheGreenArrow » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:28 am

LONZO BALL FOLKS!!!!!!

LONZO BALL!!!!!!!!
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,941

Post#518 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:33 am

Zenzibar wrote:What are you guys hearing on the Kendrick Nunn front? An Payton/Reggie Bullock replacement?

According to SNY’s Ian Begley, the Knicks are keeping a close eye on Nunn ahead of free agency. The second-year player enjoyed a breakout rookie campaign last season as he played a key part in Miami’s run to the finals, averaging 15.3 points and 3.3 assists per night. In 2020/21, his numbers took a slight dip, but Nunn still put up 14.6 points while improving his clip from downtown to 38%.

I’m intrigued. He comes from the Miami system, which I think fits our culture. He doesn’t seem like he’ll get as inflated a contract as Schroeder or Lonzo.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,941

Post#519 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:33 am

By the way, who is the pg you guys DON’T want?

For me, it’s Shroeder.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,426

Post#520 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:43 am

Adelheid wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Wharton Alum 08 wrote:

He wants/needs to play no more than 25 mpg. He'll need to be managed. No other team will be looking to sign DRose to start and play 32-5 mpg. He'd never last a full season.

Hopefully he gets signed back as the backup. We all wanted him to return after his performance this season. But he would be in a body bag if he is billed as a starter considering that Thibs gives starters huge minutes

He'd have trouble being a full-time starter on any team. He's a great 6th man tho.
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks