ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks point guard options in offseason

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

What the Knicks should do this summer?

sign Lonzo on a multi-year deal
41%
trade our youth an picks for Lillard or other superstar PG
22%
sign Lowry/Conley probably on 1+1 contract (player option)
32%
sign Schroder (3/45
5%

Total votes: 147

newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Re: Knicks point guard options in offseason 

Post#61 » by newyorker4ever » Tue May 18, 2021 1:31 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:The Knicks do need a lead guard who can handle the ball, score and play off the ball.

But I don't think we necessarily need a nominal point guard. Randle's playmaking (not his scoring) is what turned him into an All-NBA player and a winner. RJ's second-best attribute after his 3-point shooting (crazy) is his playmaking in the pick-and-roll. We have Rose and Quickley to run our bench units. So do we really need a ball-dominant floor general?

The Knicks should throw the kitchen sink at Lavine and secure him before he signs an extension with Chicago.

Above all, the Knicks need to get easier shots, and Lavine could get to the rim at will attacking close-outs, cutting to the basket and spotting up from 3. His 63.4 TS% is elite, MVP-level scoring efficiency. He doesn't have the playmaking to run an offense full-time, but Randle does, and he could share the court with Rose some if Thibs staggers the line-ups.

Lavine
RJ
Bullock
Randle
Mitch/Noel

Two other names I like are Rozier (via trade) and maybe Conley (via FA). Lonzo and Schoeder don't move the needle.

Forget about Lavine. I like him. But the Bulls dont want to trade him. We will have to massive overpay to get him. I am out...

The Bulls overpaid to get Vuc to build a win-now team and convince Lavine to stay. They went all in.

And they are a worse team for it.

If the Bulls fail to make the playoffs again, Lavine will consider all his options, unless he signs an extension before next year's trade deadline because he prioritizes financial security or continuity over winning.

I would trade both Dallas picks, and two additional firsts, and maybe a player for Lavine this summer. If Chicago aren't competitive and get the feeling Lavine will leave, they will listen to trade offers. By that time, his trade value might go down.

There's rumors that came out the last couple of days that Lavine is good with taking a pay cut to help the Bulls be able to get better help in free agency.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,445

Post#62 » by robillionaire » Tue May 18, 2021 1:36 am

Oscirus wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
Trade everything (within reason.....kinda) for Jalen Suggs.

Nobody is trading a Top3 pick for a bunch of small assets. And we are not trading RJ or Randle for a untested player

and I doubt that anybody would make such a trade if we offered barring us offering them both

And Thibs wouldn’t start the dude anyway. Our answer to fill positions of need isn’t going to be drafting rookies anymore
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,960

Post#63 » by cgf » Tue May 18, 2021 1:36 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:
cgf wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:The Knicks do need a lead guard who can handle the ball, score and play off the ball.

But I don't think we necessarily need a nominal point guard. Randle's playmaking (not his scoring) is what turned him into an All-NBA player and a winner. RJ's second-best attribute after his 3-point shooting (crazy) is his playmaking in the pick-and-roll. We have Rose and Quickley to run our bench units. So do we really need a ball-dominant floor general?

The Knicks should throw the kitchen sink at Lavine and secure him before he signs an extension with Chicago.

Above all, the Knicks need to get easier shots, and Lavine could get to the rim at will attacking close-outs, cutting to the basket and spotting up from 3. His 63.4 TS% is elite, MVP-level scoring efficiency. He doesn't have the playmaking to run an offense full-time, but Randle does, and he could share the court with Rose some if Thibs staggers the line-ups.

Lavine
RJ
Bullock
Randle
Mitch/Noel

Two other names I like are Rozier (via trade) and maybe Conley (via FA). Lonzo and Schoeder don't move the needle.

Throw Lonzo in so Reggie can come off of the bench with Rose, IQ & Obi, and that's my dream lineup for the 2022-2023 season:

Lonzo | Derrick | 2021 FRP
Lavine | Quickley | Vildoza
Barrett | Bullock | 2021 FRP
Randle | Toppin | 2021 SRP
Robinson | Toppin | '22 FRP

Lonzo isn't a game changer, but he'd be a really good fit alongside Julius, RJ & Zach, has room for further growth, and you can never have enough 3&D guys...especially ones that can bring the ball up the court & really pass.

Not a huge Lonzo fan, and definitely wouldn't sign him as a primary ball-handler, but he'd definitely make sense and be a good fit with Lavine. Lonzo's not a priority from my point of view but as a secondary piece, why not.

That's why I like Lonzo, we don't need a primary option to upgrade on Elf as the bigger / "defensive" PG option & improve this team next year. And he would be a great fit in a supporting role if we can put together a big 3 around Julius & RJ next summer...when we'll have been able to prove that this season wasn't a fluke.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Re: Knicks point gurad options in offseason 

Post#64 » by newyorker4ever » Tue May 18, 2021 1:36 am

cgf wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
cgf wrote:Gimme Lonzo, if we can sign him to a contract around what we gave Julius to leave NOLA & don't commit any other future money this summer, we'll have plenty of wiggle room to open a max slot next offseason if Lavine makes it to FA. If he doesn't, then we've still got all of our futures & a max cap slot with which to trade for that third star to help Julius & RJ start really making some noise.

I get that Lonzo isn't the dynamic scorer some folks want, but he fits this team really well and could both bolster us for next season by actually giving us what folks wish Frank did, while also being a great fit next to a big 3 if we do get lucky next summer. Big, smart, a legit 3baller, he's a good defender with the size & versatility Thibs seems to want from his starter...and with Julius, RJ & hopefully a third creator in the lineup moving forward, we wouldn't need him to provide penetration. Plus he's in the core's age range & still has room to grow with them.

It's not the sexy move, but I think he's the best fit & signing him sets us up for that sexy move.

I'm sure some in our front office have already spoken to J.Randle about what Lonzo was like as a teammate and whatever else they'd want to know.

Yep, working their connections is something I think we can safely trust this FO to do lol. So if we go after him, we can feel confident that he's got the right mindset for this core & is ready to put in the work it takes to become one of "the Big 15"...

... :lol: :lol: :lol: god that s*** is so corny that I can't help but love it :lol: :lol: :lol:

That statement is actually true now with L.Rose, WWW and the others that were hired in the front office after so many years of us being talked about as a team with great connections with the free agents only to strike out and then be laughed at by all the media over and over and over again.
cgf
RealGM

Post#65 » by cgf » Tue May 18, 2021 1:37 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
Forget about Lavine. I like him. But the Bulls dont want to trade him. We will have to massive overpay to get him. I am out...

The Bulls overpaid to get Vuc to build a win-now team and convince Lavine to stay. They went all in.

If the Bulls fail to make the playoffs again, Lavine will consider all his options, unless he signs an extension before next year's trade deadline because he prioritizes financial security or continuity over winning.

I would trade both Dallas picks, and two additional firsts, and maybe a player for Lavine this summer. If Chicago aren't competitive and get the feeling Lavine will leave, they will listen to trade offers. By that time, his trade value might go down.

There's rumors that came out the last couple of days that Lavine is good with taking a pay cut to help the Bulls be able to get better help in free agency.

...which is why if they fail again next season, I think there's a very real chance we can sway him to get back together with Thibs.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#66 » by newyorker4ever » Tue May 18, 2021 1:45 am

Richard4444 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
camby23 wrote:What the Knicks should do this summer?

Trade everything (within reason.....kinda) for Jalen Suggs.

Nobody is trading a Top3 pick for a bunch of small assets. And we are not trading RJ or Randle for a untested player

Not saying we'd trade any of these guys, or all of them, but i would think Obi, Quickley and MRobinson would all be very attractive to teams along with the multiple 1st and 2nd round picks we have over the next few years.

Now don't get me wrong cause i understand that it would be very hard to get a top 3 pick and we'd definitely have to give up at least 2 of those guys along with guys like Frank and Knox and multiple draft picks to have any chance but i was more dreaming about getting my guy Suggs like i've been doing since the college season started.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,520

Post#67 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue May 18, 2021 1:46 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:

Yeah I saw but I'll believe it when I see it.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#68 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue May 18, 2021 1:50 am

cgf wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
cgf wrote:Throw Lonzo in so Reggie can come off of the bench with Rose, IQ & Obi, and that's my dream lineup for the 2022-2023 season:

Lonzo | Derrick | 2021 FRP
Lavine | Quickley | Vildoza
Barrett | Bullock | 2021 FRP
Randle | Toppin | 2021 SRP
Robinson | Toppin | '22 FRP

Lonzo isn't a game changer, but he'd be a really good fit alongside Julius, RJ & Zach, has room for further growth, and you can never have enough 3&D guys...especially ones that can bring the ball up the court & really pass.

Not a huge Lonzo fan, and definitely wouldn't sign him as a primary ball-handler, but he'd definitely make sense and be a good fit with Lavine. Lonzo's not a priority from my point of view but as a secondary piece, why not.

That's why I like Lonzo, we don't need a primary option to upgrade on Elf as the bigger / "defensive" PG option & improve this team next year. And he would be a great fit in a supporting role if we can put together a big 3 around Julius & RJ next summer...when we'll have been able to prove that this season wasn't a fluke.

Well I don't view him as a PG or as a primary ball-handler, hence I'd only be willing to sign if we acquired another ball-handler first (like Lavine).

I always considered Lonzo a rich man's Frank. They are 3D wings/two-guards. Lavine isn't a nominal PG either but he can penetrate, shoot off the dribble and occasionally run pick-and-roll, in addition to what Lonzo brings in the halfcourt (spot-up shooting). He's better equipped to function as a ball-handler on this team IMO.
Dave DaButcher
Sixth Man
And1: 4,296

Post#69 » by Dave DaButcher » Tue May 18, 2021 1:50 am

How about Jalen Brunson?
HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 28,925

Post#70 » by HerSports85 » Tue May 18, 2021 1:52 am

Woj saying that we will make a run at Lonzo
BAF: Chicago Bulls
2023 In-season tournament Champs
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#71 » by newyorker4ever » Tue May 18, 2021 1:55 am

cgf wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:And they are a worse team for it.

...which is why if they fail again next season, I think there's a very real chance we can sway him to get back together with Thibs.

The problem is that i don't see the Knicks waiting. I really think they're gonna land a starting type PG this offseason whether that comes in trade, free agency or draft. Could be Lonzo, Schroeder, Lowry, D.Lillaird or many other vets, or they land a good one in the draft. I'll take Lavine to play SG in 2022 though. Quickley would be a great swing guard backup for Lavine and whoever our starting PG is.
cgf
RealGM

Post#72 » by cgf » Tue May 18, 2021 1:55 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:
cgf wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Not a huge Lonzo fan, and definitely wouldn't sign him as a primary ball-handler, but he'd definitely make sense and be a good fit with Lavine. Lonzo's not a priority from my point of view but as a secondary piece, why not.

Well I don't view him as a PG or as a primary ball-handler, hence I'd only be willing to sign if we acquired another ball-handler first (like Lavine).

I always considered Lonzo a rich man's Frank. They are 3D wings/two-guards. Lavine isn't a nominal PG either but he can penetrate, shoot off the dribble and occasionally run pick-and-roll, in addition to what Lonzo brings in the halfcourt (spot-up shooting). He's better equipped to function as a ball-handler on this team IMO.

I just don't think having a proper PG really matters that much to us given how much playmaking we get from Julius & Rose already & what we hope to get from RJ/IQ moving forward. Though that's probably tinted by my assuming that this FO will make a move for a "third star" by next summer...whether we get lucky and can snag Lavine in FA, or have to trade for someone like Sexton, Fox, Booker, SGA, etc.

newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#73 » by newyorker4ever » Tue May 18, 2021 1:56 am

Dave DaButcher wrote:How about Jalen Brunson?

I know some on here are good with going after Brunson but no thank you for me.
cgf
RealGM

Post#74 » by cgf » Tue May 18, 2021 1:58 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
cgf wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

The problem is that i don't see the Knicks waiting. I really think they're gonna land a starting type PG this offseason whether that comes in trade, free agency or draft. Could be Lonzo, Schroeder, Lowry, D.Lillaird or many other vets, or they land a good one in the draft. I'll take Lavine to play SG in 2022 though. Quickley would be a great swing guard backup for Lavine and whoever our starting PG is.

We can afford Lonzo on a deal around what we got Julius for and still have enough room to offer Lavine a max in 2022, if we don't commit to any other long-term money this summer. I agree they won't wait on a PG this summer, but I can see them waiting until 2022 to make a huge move for a third star...unless someone who better lines up with our core's timeline gets mad & wants out this summer.

Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#75 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue May 18, 2021 2:01 am

cgf wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
cgf wrote:That's why I like Lonzo, we don't need a primary option to upgrade on Elf as the bigger / "defensive" PG option & improve this team next year. And he would be a great fit in a supporting role if we can put together a big 3 around Julius & RJ next summer...when we'll have been able to prove that this season wasn't a fluke.

I just don't think having a proper PG really matters that much to us given how much playmaking we get from Julius & Rose already & what we hope to get from RJ/IQ moving forward. Though that's probably tinted by my assuming that this FO will make a move for a "third star" by next summer...whether we get lucky and can snag Lavine in FA, or have to trade for someone like Sexton, Fox, Booker, SGA, etc.

I see. I think that makes perfect sense if you're operating under this assumption.

For me it's all about managing expectations with Lonzo. The Knicks need another guy who can create some offense - in addition to being able to shoot - in the starting line-up. Lonzo can't create any offense in the half-court, so he doesn't bring another dimension to our offense with this current roster. Some fans believe he's a lead guard - he's not.

If you bring in that "third star" as you said, then Lonzo is the glue guy who solidifies our defense, our transition game, our floor spacing, our ball movement. The little things. There's obviously great value in that.
Dave DaButcher
Sixth Man
And1: 4,296

Post#76 » by Dave DaButcher » Tue May 18, 2021 2:03 am

newyorker4ever wrote:

Brunson has a toughness that I think would fit in well with our group. In terms of RFA options, he appeals to me much more than Lonzo.

Another higher level option that could make sense for us is Malcolm Brogdon, who the Pacers reportedly may make available given a questionable fit with LeVert.
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#77 » by yellowknifer » Tue May 18, 2021 2:09 am

I think Chris Paul could wind up a knick. He could decline his option. Sign a nice new 3 year deal. He probably will be productive till the end of it. Maybe not quite as good as this year but his game will translate still at an elite level. Maybe his defense falls off a bit. Hasn't really yet but it could. You guys have a bright future.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,549

Post#78 » by Fat Kat » Tue May 18, 2021 2:11 am

Clyde_Style wrote:Luca + Rose + Draft a PG

+ Quickley moves into Johnnie Bryant’s spare bedroom during the off-season
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
cgf
RealGM

Post#79 » by cgf » Tue May 18, 2021 2:11 am

yellowknifer wrote:I think Chris Paul could wind up a knick. He could decline his option. Sign a nice new 3 year deal. He probably will be productive till the end of it. Maybe not quite as good as this year but his game will translate still at an elite level. Maybe his defense falls off a bit. Hasn't really yet but it could. You guys have a bright future.

I see him feeling like he got screwed by the crazy season if the Suns get bounced by the Lakers in round 1 and wanting to stay there...though I do think he'll use the threat of signing with us to get another last-big-contract out of Sarver.

newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#80 » by newyorker4ever » Tue May 18, 2021 2:14 am

Dave DaButcher wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Brunson has a toughness that I think would fit in well with our group. In terms of RFA options, he appeals to me much more than Lonzo.

Another higher level option that could make sense for us is Malcolm Brogdon, who the Pacers reportedly may make available given a questionable fit with LeVert.

Like Brunson as a backup but not our starter but love Brogdon if we could get him.

Return to New York Knicks