ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks point guard options in offseason

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

What the Knicks should do this summer?

sign Lonzo on a multi-year deal
41%
trade our youth an picks for Lillard or other superstar PG
22%
sign Lowry/Conley probably on 1+1 contract (player option)
32%
sign Schroder (3/45
5%

Total votes: 147

newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Re: Knicks point guard options in offseason 

Post#81 » by newyorker4ever » Tue May 18, 2021 2:16 am

yellowknifer wrote:I think Chris Paul could wind up a knick. He could decline his option. Sign a nice new 3 year deal. He probably will be productive till the end of it. Maybe not quite as good as this year but his game will translate still at an elite level. Maybe his defense falls off a bit. Hasn't really yet but it could. You guys have a bright future.

I don't think he leaves that Phoenix team with all that talent.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,264
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#82 » by BKlutch » Tue May 18, 2021 2:35 am

yellowknifer wrote:I think Chris Paul could wind up a knick. He could decline his option. Sign a nice new 3 year deal. He probably will be productive till the end of it. Maybe not quite as good as this year but his game will translate still at an elite level. Maybe his defense falls off a bit. Hasn't really yet but it could. You guys have a bright future.

Woj says no. https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/262619/Woj-Hard-To-See-Chris-Paul-Leave-Suns-In-Offseason

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,359

Post#83 » by Ray Williams » Tue May 18, 2021 3:06 am

How much does TJ Mcconnell get next year? I think he’d fit in nicely.
Davis18
Senior
And1: 695

Post#84 » by Davis18 » Tue May 18, 2021 4:03 am

cgf wrote:

I see him feeling like he got screwed by the crazy season if the Suns get bounced by the Lakers in round 1 and wanting to stay there...though I do think he'll use the threat of signing with us to get another last-big-contract out of Sarver.

Maybe Dolan can give his last big contract.
Davis18
Senior
And1: 695

Post#85 » by Davis18 » Tue May 18, 2021 4:08 am

I think combination of Rose/IQ/Vildoza would be a lot better than what we had this season.
I want to improve wing position like others want.
Bullock/Burks were nice but they should not start.
Let's use some assets and connections for young up and coming wing player.
Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 621

Post#86 » by Fundamentals21 » Tue May 18, 2021 4:12 am

They probably do an offer to Lonzo, as he's interested in coming here anyway. If they win that bid war, good for them. Otherwise, we're stuck with Vildoza IMO.

Other names not happening.

Chris Paul - this is just reporters doing some BS and linking their names to the Knicks for more publicity.
Zach La Vine - Bulls want to win now and they won't give him up anymore.

Payton was reduced to some 12 mins by the end of the year, so it should be clear to the FO that he can't start. Realistically I see us just moving on with Vildoza/IQ/Rose.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#87 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Tue May 18, 2021 5:59 am

How about MCW as a 12mpg stopgap, as we groom IQ and lean heavily on Rose in a super sub role?
I know...ewwww but we need to take the long view here.

I think Thibbs likes physically imposing guards who can comfortably get into the paint and make positive plays.
And again, this season we would be in the market for a "better Payton" who'd only be a starter in name.

Just attack. Elf don't pass the ball no how. MCW can do that and he's switchable defensively in theory.
He's about due some redemption song after "the Process" chewed and spit him out.
Steve Clifford is a ol' time Thibbs homie, and with that nutty set of guards on the Magic roster, I'm sure if even only from a maturity and professionalism standpoint he'd have positive things to say about the former ROTY if pressed for intel.

I think people overlook the fact that we have young players in every position and they are clearly in the plans.
The time to blow our asset/cap load will present itself if and when that player (Book, Spyda, Fox types) becomes available.
Til then protect the continuity of this group without locking into any deals that can't be moved.

Lowry? Ok. For $25M a year? ok...but then you look at Rose and want to pay him mid level money?
Lowry looked like Grimace this season. Yes. Grimace. Rose is inspiring the yoots in a real way. That's the old head you keep.

Tampa ain't home and I get that. But the Raps were bad this year and he was a big part of that bad.
He's not a CP3 who's game really promises to age well, health permitting '(no given obviously) on the wrong side of 35.
Lowry sounds so old regime Knicks and you know it.

Lonzo might be Jason Bay here. I don't know if he's built for NYC. LA does not equal NYC, ask DFish.
And Zion just publicly lobbied for the Pels to retain him.

Devonte is too small to play Thibbs type defense but I'm a fan....but nah. Especially in the restricted free agency overpay game.

A Dinwiddie acquisition to me would be sleeping with the enemy (petty much?) and his defense isn't of note.
And the injuries. I still think he's somewhat a product of how those coach Kenny Net teams played so yeah, nah.
A one plus one with a team option on the second year? I could be talked into its if the docs approve.

Schroeder is interesting but if he turned down the extension he was offered this past season, that'd suggest he's likely seeking north of $20M a season. He's kinda earned it. He's solid. Just like the other guys. Solid. And Thibbs is squeezing the juice outta the also-rans so it would be an interesting look to see how he'd employ the guy but in a world where we get contributors like Alec Burks for $6M giving us 41% from 3....instead of having to trade for "shooting" like Buddy Hield who's triple that in salary, more one dimensional and not as efficient a shot....I can't see making Schroeder the marquee signing of the Rose era. Unless he taking this $6M Burks just did lol.

We could get what we want out that spot without overspending in a meh market.

We can draft a pg in the draft but he isn't going to be someone we depend on unless its Cade or Suggs in a trade.

IQ still in the oven and I'm ok with that.
Trade a future second for MCW and keep this crew together responsibly. Draft a pg and let him hold the clipboard a year.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,639

Post#88 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue May 18, 2021 6:29 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:The Knicks do need a lead guard who can handle the ball, score and play off the ball.

But I don't think we necessarily need a nominal point guard. Randle's playmaking (not his scoring) is what turned him into an All-NBA player and a winner. RJ's second-best attribute after his 3-point shooting (crazy) is his playmaking in the pick-and-roll. We have Rose and Quickley to run our bench units. So do we really need a ball-dominant floor general?

The Knicks should throw the kitchen sink at Lavine and secure him before he signs an extension with Chicago.

Above all, the Knicks need to get easier shots, and Lavine could get to the rim at will attacking close-outs, cutting to the basket and spotting up from 3. His 63.4 TS% is elite, MVP-level scoring efficiency. He doesn't have the playmaking to run an offense full-time, but Randle does, and he could share the court with Rose some if Thibs staggers the line-ups.

Lavine
RJ
Bullock
Randle
Mitch/Noel

Two other names I like are Rozier (via trade) and maybe Conley (via FA). Lonzo and Schoeder don't move the needle.

Forget about Lavine. I like him. But the Bulls dont want to trade him. We will have to massive overpay to get him. I am out...

The Bulls overpaid to get Vuc to build a win-now team and convince Lavine to stay. They went all in.

Yeah it seems like the Bulls are more focused on getting a legit PG so they can play Lavine at his more natural position at SG. They're supposedly right there with the Knicks on their interest in Lonzo this offseason.

There's a number of options i'm good with to finally get us a legit PG whether it's draft, trade or free agency.

I wouldn't mind getting J.Giddey, even if we have to trade up some spots, and playing him with D.Rose and Luca. Giddey's a true PG with good vision and passing.
We have to get ahead of the Spurs for Giddey I feel.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#89 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue May 18, 2021 6:33 am

cgf wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
cgf wrote:That's why I like Lonzo, we don't need a primary option to upgrade on Elf as the bigger / "defensive" PG option & improve this team next year. And he would be a great fit in a supporting role if we can put together a big 3 around Julius & RJ next summer...when we'll have been able to prove that this season wasn't a fluke.

Well I don't view him as a PG or as a primary ball-handler, hence I'd only be willing to sign if we acquired another ball-handler first (like Lavine).

I always considered Lonzo a rich man's Frank. They are 3D wings/two-guards. Lavine isn't a nominal PG either but he can penetrate, shoot off the dribble and occasionally run pick-and-roll, in addition to what Lonzo brings in the halfcourt (spot-up shooting). He's better equipped to function as a ball-handler on this team IMO.

I just don't think having a proper PG really matters that much to us given how much playmaking we get from Julius & Rose already & what we hope to get from RJ/IQ moving forward. Though that's probably tinted by my assuming that this FO will make a move for a "third star" by next summer...whether we get lucky and can snag Lavine in FA, or have to trade for someone like Sexton, Fox, Booker, SGA, etc.
If we get a 3rd scorer we just need and organizer/spacer with some defence.

prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#90 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue May 18, 2021 6:36 am

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:How about MCW as a 12mpg stopgap, as we groom IQ and lean heavily on Rose in a super sub role?
I know...ewwww but we need to take the long view here.

I think Thibbs likes physically imposing guards who can comfortably get into the paint and make positive plays.
And again, this season we would be in the market for a "better Payton" who'd only be a starter in name.

Just attack. Elf don't pass the ball no how. MCW can do that and he's switchable defensively in theory.
He's about due some redemption song after "the Process" chewed and spit him out.
Steve Clifford is a ol' time Thibbs homie, and with that nutty set of guards on the Magic roster, I'm sure if even only from a maturity and professionalism standpoint he'd have positive things to say about the former ROTY if pressed for intel.

I think people overlook the fact that we have young players in every position and they are clearly in the plans.
The time to blow our asset/cap load will present itself if and when that player (Book, Spyda, Fox types) becomes available.
Til then protect the continuity of this group without locking into any deals that can't be moved.

Lowry? Ok. For $25M a year? ok...but then you look at Rose and want to pay him mid level money?
Lowry looked like Grimace this season. Yes. Grimace. Rose is inspiring the yoots in a real way. That's the old head you keep.

Tampa ain't home and I get that. But the Raps were bad this year and he was a big part of that bad.
He's not a CP3 who's game really promises to age well, health permitting '(no given obviously) on the wrong side of 35.
Lowry sounds so old regime Knicks and you know it.

Lonzo might be Jason Bay here. I don't know if he's built for NYC. LA does not equal NYC, ask DFish.
And Zion just publicly lobbied for the Pels to retain him.

Devonte is too small to play Thibbs type defense but I'm a fan....but nah. Especially in the restricted free agency overpay game.

A Dinwiddie acquisition to me would be sleeping with the enemy (petty much?) and his defense isn't of note.
And the injuries. I still think he's somewhat a product of how those coach Kenny Net teams played so yeah, nah.
A one plus one with a team option on the second year? I could be talked into its if the docs approve.

Schroeder is interesting but if he turned down the extension he was offered this past season, that'd suggest he's likely seeking north of $20M a season. He's kinda earned it. He's solid. Just like the other guys. Solid. And Thibbs is squeezing the juice outta the also-rans so it would be an interesting look to see how he'd employ the guy but in a world where we get contributors like Alec Burks for $6M giving us 41% from 3....instead of having to trade for "shooting" like Buddy Hield who's triple that in salary, more one dimensional and not as efficient a shot....I can't see making Schroeder the marquee signing of the Rose era. Unless he taking this $6M Burks just did lol.

We could get what we want out that spot without overspending in a meh market.

We can draft a pg in the draft but he isn't going to be someone we depend on unless its Cade or Suggs in a trade.

IQ still in the oven and I'm ok with that.
Trade a future second for MCW and keep this crew together responsibly. Draft a pg and let him hold the clipboard a year.
It doesn't make sense for us to get a stopgap 12 min pg. We need someone toimit Rose's minutes.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,452

Post#91 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue May 18, 2021 6:40 am

Not Lonzo
Free Palestine
TBri1974
Pro Prospect
And1: 385

Post#92 » by TBri1974 » Tue May 18, 2021 7:40 am

I am not sold on Lonzo - although I voted for him here due to a lack of choices - I think we'll resign Rose, perhaps 3 years 12/10/8 with the last being a team option. I think we'll resign Burks, and then I think we'll draft a PG. That would give us options of Rose/IQ/Burks/Draftee... perhaps Vildoza. I just don't think we have confidence in Ball a what he would cost, and don't want to bring in someone too far outside of our timeline. Trading up might be an option, I wonder if they are truly high on Giddy.
bleedblue3303
Sixth Man
And1: 1,125

Post#93 » by bleedblue3303 » Tue May 18, 2021 7:50 am

moocow007 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:Would be nice to see all of the possible PG players available.

Here are the current players who can become a FA after this season. This includes guys with player options (like CP3). This is just a list...it makes no implications on who will or won't opt in or out, who is happy or not happy at where nor who is going to take what or not what.

The $ amount is the full 82 game salary they are making this current season.

Chris Paul PHX PG 36 15 PO $39,932,648
Mike Conley UTH PG 33 14 UFA Bird $30,521,116
Kyle Lowry TOR PG 35 15 UFA Bird $30,500,000

Goran Dragic MIA PG 35 12 CO $18,000,000
Dennis Schröder LAL PG 28 8 UFA Bird $17,500,000
Patrick Mills SAS PG 33 12 UFA Bird $12,000,000
Spencer Dinwiddie BKN PG 28 6 PO $11,454,048
Dante Exum HOU PG 26 7 UFA Bird $11,000,000
Lonzo Ball NOP PG 23 4 RFA Bird $8,367,906
Derrick Rose NYK PG 32 13 UFA Early Bird $7,500,000
Ishmael Smith WAS PG 33 11 UFA Early Bird $6,000,000
Avery Bradley HOU PG 30 10 CO $5,635,000
Kris Dunn ATL PG 27 4 PO $5,000,000
Elfrid Payton NYK PG 27 7 UFA Non-Bird $4,767,000
Frank Ntilikina NYK PG 23 4 RFA Bird $4,672,305
Dennis Smith Jr. DET PG 23 4 RFA Bird $4,297,139
T.J. McConnell IND PG 29 6 UFA Early Bird $3,500,000
Ryan Arcidiacono CHI PG 27 3 CO $3,000,000
Reggie Jackson LAC PG 31 10 UFA Early Bird $2,331,593
Austin Rivers DEN PG 29 9 UFA Non-Bird $2,271,991
Brad Wanamaker CHA PG 32 3 UFA Non-Bird $2,250,000
Matthew Dellavedova CLE PG 31 8 UFA Bird $2,174,318
Edmond Sumner IND PG 25 3 CO $2,080,000
Raul Neto WAS PG 29 6 UFA Non-Bird $1,882,867
Devonte' Graham CHA PG 26 3 RFA Bird $1,356,392
Brandon Goodwin ATL PG 25 3 RFA Early Bird $1,112,166
Cameron Payne PHX PG 27 6 UFA Early Bird $1,086,650
Jeff Teague MIL PG 33 12 UFA Non-Bird $808,073
Tim Frazier MEM PG 30 6 UFA Non-Bird $296,616
Jared Harper NYK PG 24 2 RFA Non-Bird $9,902
Mike James BKN PG 31 2 RFA Non-Bird $9,902
Shaquille Harrison DEN PG 27 4 RFA Non-Bird -
Saben Lee DET PG 22 1 RFA Non-Bird -
Markus Howard DEN PG 22 1 RFA Non-Bird -
Grant Riller CHA PG 24 1 RFA Non-Bird -
Nico Mannion GSW PG 20 1 RFA Non-Bird -
Chasson Randle ORL PG 28 4 UFA Non-Bird -
Frank Mason III ORL PG 27 4 UFA -
Tremont Waters BOS PG 23 2 RFA Early Bird -
Jalen Harris TOR PG 23 1 RFA Non-Bird -
Jordan McLaughlin MIN PG 25 2 RFA Early Bird -
Chris Chiozza BKN PG 25 3 RFA Non-Bird -
Frank Jackson DET PG 23 4 UFA Non-Bird -
Cassius Winston WAS PG 23 1 RFA Non-Bird -
Gabe Vincent MIA PG 25 2 RFA Early Bird -
Devon Dotson CHI PG 22 1 RFA Non-Bird -

On a related note and in the vein of "once a Knick, always a Knick" former Knick Shane Larkin has been going absolutely nuts overseas. NUTS!!!!

Here's a blurb about Larkin:

Shane Larkin is the one and only reason that the 2019-2020 EuroLeague won’t go down in history just as the season the coronavirus halted and that alone is a sort of a triumph.

Before EuroLeague shut down, Larkin burned his mark on the competition by having a crazy, unprecedented ride that would definitely end up with him winning EuroLeague MVP if his Efes made the Final Four. Only such a thing as a pandemic could stop him.

All the records, feats and masterpieces that the hurricane that was Larkin created in the previous season have been well documented but here’s a reminder: He broke EuroLeague’s single-game scoring record, became the only player in the competition’s modern era to have multiple 40+ games, tied the single-game record for most 3-pointers made (twice) and set a new record for most straight weekly MVPs. He was the top scorer by registering a 58.3 percent (a superb number for a guard in EuroLeague; James Harden had 54.8% in his 2018 MVP run while attempting nearly double the free throws) in True Shooting while top-ranked Efes was widely hailed as the best team in the competition.

Many of his peers also enjoyed the show and simply acknowledged and applauded the greatness. Everyone recognized that the things Larkin was accomplishing were of a totally another dimension. He was transcending the offensive game in Europe’s top competition, breaking boundaries and raising the overall level to new heights.

When last year’s Top 100 was published with Larkin being ranked second, he reacted by tweeting “Still work to be done.” He’s now our No. 1.

I watched the doc and am ready to resign Larkin. I've seen enough! he's our future. Or I could just be a sucker for good content.
ABOVE_THE_RIM
Junior
And1: 50

Post#94 » by ABOVE_THE_RIM » Tue May 18, 2021 8:28 am

Sign Lonzo.
Re-sign DRose.
Sign Hamidou Diallo.
Keep Luca.
Match offer on Frank.

Draft a 7ft center that can catch, pass, grab offensive rebounds and won’t get pushed around by Andre Drummond.

Trade Knox and picks for Kenyon Martin Jr.
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,359

Post#95 » by Ray Williams » Tue May 18, 2021 8:51 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:
cgf wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Well I don't view him as a PG or as a primary ball-handler, hence I'd only be willing to sign if we acquired another ball-handler first (like Lavine).

I always considered Lonzo a rich man's Frank. They are 3D wings/two-guards. Lavine isn't a nominal PG either but he can penetrate, shoot off the dribble and occasionally run pick-and-roll, in addition to what Lonzo brings in the halfcourt (spot-up shooting). He's better equipped to function as a ball-handler on this team IMO.

I just don't think having a proper PG really matters that much to us given how much playmaking we get from Julius & Rose already & what we hope to get from RJ/IQ moving forward. Though that's probably tinted by my assuming that this FO will make a move for a "third star" by next summer...whether we get lucky and can snag Lavine in FA, or have to trade for someone like Sexton, Fox, Booker, SGA, etc.

oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,615

Post#96 » by oldshoolballer » Tue May 18, 2021 9:48 am

aq_ua wrote:
El Poochio wrote:Bring on NBA's steals leader

If we can get McConnell as a replacement for Payton, it would be a huge coup. Derrick Rose could continue to come off the bench and keep his minutes in check. I think I like that option a lot.

Sign me up for TJ. Great option for less than 10 million.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#97 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue May 18, 2021 11:26 am

Ray Williams wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
cgf wrote:I just don't think having a proper PG really matters that much to us given how much playmaking we get from Julius & Rose already & what we hope to get from RJ/IQ moving forward. Though that's probably tinted by my assuming that this FO will make a move for a "third star" by next summer...whether we get lucky and can snag Lavine in FA, or have to trade for someone like Sexton, Fox, Booker, SGA, etc.

Maybe if we use our space. The Spurs didn't play Corey Joseph trying to drive down his price. We might have done the same. And this team brought back EP as a stop gap. Maybe we throw Frank a low ball bone.

cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,760

Post#98 » by cgf » Tue May 18, 2021 1:22 pm

Ray Williams wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
cgf wrote:I just don't think having a proper PG really matters that much to us given how much playmaking we get from Julius & Rose already & what we hope to get from RJ/IQ moving forward. Though that's probably tinted by my assuming that this FO will make a move for a "third star" by next summer...whether we get lucky and can snag Lavine in FA, or have to trade for someone like Sexton, Fox, Booker, SGA, etc.

Shame he didn't work out. Luckily Lonzo can give us what we all used to hope Frank would.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
aromeoj
Senior
And1: 581

Post#99 » by aromeoj » Tue May 18, 2021 1:23 pm

cgf wrote:
aromeoj wrote:Through the draft IMO w/ Luca and Rose - I personally think we can get Davion Mitchell with 1 of our first round picks - Would be a good fit (Elite defender) on the older side and his 3p% increased every year.

His 3pt% spiked massively in his final season while his FT% remained poor...Mitchell seems like the type who is going to get over-drafted because he was hot in the tourney.

So did RJ's and I'm not mad... :lol:

Twitter: aromeoj | Instagram: aromeoj | Sports Marketer | Sneakerhead
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,147

Post#100 » by Fat Kat » Tue May 18, 2021 1:48 pm

Lonzo isn't who most here think he is. He has more in common with Reggie Bullock than he does a real PG. Like when Jason Kidd was here, but had to play alongside Felton. You don't pay 20M for that
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®

Return to New York Knicks