ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks Offseason: List of Needs

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Needs for the Knicks

New PG
78%
New SG
9%
New SF
7%
New C
2%
Retain all these dudes
4%

Total votes: 111

Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Re: Knicks Offseason: List of Needs 

Post#261 » by Fury » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:02 pm

RHODEY wrote:Here we go....

Well. If the Blazers just want cap space and picks we have a shot, but I also don't think they wanna do Lillard dirty by sending him to a team that's going to have the same issues.
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,913

Post#262 » by Richard4444 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:03 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
louisorr wrote:Knicks need to go all in on this FA class. I know its not a great class but the timing trumps the talent. If we sign Lonzo and Derozan for instance and let burks rose noel frank, Payton off the books we can still keep Mitch and randle when their contracts come up. The reason we shouldn't wait for a better class is because RJ obi and IQ will be coming up against those contracts by then.
If we go 3 year +1 team option contracts for those two above FAs we have a pretty damn good team of young veterans and we can draft for both need and upside the next three years to fill it out.

derozan doesn't help us with our outside shooting. we really need another guard/wing who can create AND space.

not a knock on derozan. he's great at what he does. we just don't need more of what he does at the moment -- especially at that price point.

I am not a big DeRozan fan. But I would not mind him for next season. Especially in a short contract.
He is great in mid-range and a good playmaker too. And most important, we can get him without giving away assets.

Rose was very important to us thanks to his mid-range. Another scorer option would be great. I believe Randle, RJ. IQ and Bullock/Burks can keep their great 3pt shooting. Adding a PG who can shoot 3s and will be with a lot of great long-range shooters and we can afford a bad long-range shooter like DeRozan.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
iLovethosedamnknicks
Rookie
And1: 221

Post#263 » by iLovethosedamnknicks » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:12 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:if we must go in this offseason, lowry is probably most realistic and makes most sense.

continuing my offseason regrets, imagine if fred van vleet were on this team. he could have done the scoring and shot creation we needed for $25m per season. we'd still have money to add another big name too. too bad he wanted to stay in TOR.

lol the series would of went 6 instead of 5 maybeee
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#264 » by BugginOut » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:13 pm

Out of Burks, Bullock, and Noel, who would you re-sign?

I’m probably leaning towards Bullock because he doesn’t need the ball in his hands and is our best perimeter defender. I think he would be great off the bench once we get some legit shot creators. I think Burks is replaceable and Noel, while a good backup C would cost too much especially when we have Mitch
NYF13
Senior
And1: 297

Post#265 » by NYF13 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:15 pm

The matter of fact is because of Randle we are here in the playoffs.
1. We had a such a strange move to dump Payton in the middle of an intense playoff series shows us that we came unprepared. Don’t tell me the coaching staff didn’t see it coming. They should have made the changes prior to 10 games before the playoffs. The only problem with that however, you risk having Rose injured.
2. ATL roster is way too good. Just put them next to the Knicks roster.
If Randle chooses to sign that 100 million extension this summer. You are looking at roughly 26 million a year for his service. In modern NBA and how contracts are laid out, that’s pretty cheap. We should appreciate him to save that money for us.

We should not kick a player out to the curb like that who took the team on his shoulder all season long.

Add a couple of players and we are good for next year. If Randle is alienated from the team, media, NBAPA, free agents will take notice and YOU ALL will spend the rest of your life accepting winning a playoff game every 10 ...no make it 20 years for the REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Be humble what you have witnessed, be appreciative and embrace life for what it is.

#LoveMyKnicks #NYWeHere #2022SeasonHereWeCome
In short, all I am saying is RJ-Brunson-Grimes-Quickley-Randle are the untouchables moving forward.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,382

Post#266 » by JXL » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:50 pm

BugginOut wrote:Out of Burks, Bullock, and Noel, who would you re-sign?

I’m probably leaning towards Bullock because he doesn’t need the ball in his hands and is our best perimeter defender. I think he would be great off the bench once we get some legit shot creators. I think Burks is replaceable and Noel, while a good backup C would cost too much especially when we have Mitch

Bullock is replaceable. Dude couldn't dribble, and his 3 point marksmanship was a mirage in the playoffs. Burks is replaceable. He needs a better handle and has the tendency to throw up crazy layups. That's not gonna cut it in the postseason. I would keep Noel, cause what other opportunity he's going to get for playing time at backup? Only the Lakers and maybe Miami.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#267 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:53 pm

These are the playoff numbers with no context. Take a guess

17.0 PPG 2.2 RPG 2.0 APG 0.8 SPG 1.0 BPG
50% on 12.7 FGA 39% on 4.3 3PA 90% on 3.0 FTA
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#268 » by Fury » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:57 pm

dakomish23 wrote:These are the playoff numbers with no context. Take a guess

17.0 PPG 2.2 RPG 2.0 APG 0.8 SPG 1.0 BPG
50% on 12.7 FGA 39% on 4.3 3PA 90% on 3.0 FTA

So who is it?
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#269 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:59 pm

Bullock. Can fit whatever roster we have which also makes him the most valuable in a potential trade down the line.

Burks would be my answer if our coaching staff ever reigned him in & said shoot open 3’s and attack closeouts. When he does that, he’s pretty damn good. It’s when he pretend he’s Kobe that he flat out sucks.

Noel is a rim running rim protecting big and I had no problem with the signing. That’s what every team wants. But watching this dude constantly destroy all drives to the paint by sitting in the lane instead of the baseline makes him easier to let go of. If you had a video of all these Capella blocks you’ll see Noel sitting right there in the paint, so when our guys go to the rim they have to have their defender on their back / side & then Capella in front of them. It’s a disaster.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
BugginOut
Head Coach

Post#270 » by BugginOut » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:35 pm

JXL wrote:

Bullock is replaceable. Dude couldn't dribble, and his 3 point marksmanship was a mirage in the playoffs. Burks is replaceable. He needs a better handle and has the tendency to throw up crazy layups. That's not gonna cut it in the postseason. I would keep Noel, cause what other opportunity he's going to get for playing time at backup? Only the Lakers and maybe Miami.

Bullock wasn’t terrible. He had two games where he had 4 3s and shot 35% overall. In comparison for the hawks only Trae and Bogdan hit 4 threes in a game with Bogdan doing it twice and Trae doing it once. Bogdan shot 33% for the series and Trae shot 34%.

There aren’t that man 3 and D players available, LeBron would of loved to have him on the Lakers with their poor shooting. If we can get him on a deal we should definitely do it. I’d do 4 year 40 million easily.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#271 » by Marty McFly » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:46 pm

Fury wrote:
RHODEY wrote:Here we go....

Well. If the Blazers just want cap space and picks we have a shot, but I also don't think they wanna do Lillard dirty by sending him to a team that's going to have the same issues.

they should let us keep our picks then. :D
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,806

Post#272 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:47 pm

The biggest need to me this summer is to identify and trade for the young player whom they believe will be able to take the next step when moved into a new/better situation. This idea of the Knicks needing to acquire "a winning player" is nebulous and unrealistic. A winning player is by definition on a winning team, and winning teams don't trade their impact players.

Instead Rose & Co. need to ID the guys they believe in on losing teams who are currently sub-star level but full of talent and upside. There's no established superstar who's won big on the FA market, with the outside chance at maybe Kawhi. Guys like KAT, Sexton, Garland, Fox, Ingram, etc. are all currently huge talents with impressive numbers, but labeled as "losers" by the general public. a year and a half ago Devin Booker was in the same boat, and while the Suns weren't likely to trade him, he probably could've been pried away with a godfather offer. Now a godfather offer wouldn't even be discussed.

The Knicks and their stud coaching staff need to figure out who the guy is out of the even remotely available young studs that will suddenly not just post numbers but actually affect winning when brought into the right situation, and trade for him to get another piece in the building.
Garbagelo
Veteran
And1: 3,151

Post#273 » by Garbagelo » Fri Jun 4, 2021 10:51 pm

My predictions:

Trading the Dallas pick for Marcus Smart.

Try and sign Kawhi.

Lilliard is not happening and doesn't make sense as he would command half the roster.

Bullock, Noel, and Payton gone

RJ, IQ, Rose, Randle, Mitch, Burks, Vildoza, Gibson, and Toppin retained

The rest of the roster, probably used in trades for guys like Terry Rozier or simply not retained

Our FRP will be traded for another vet

Rest of the roster will be filled with scrap heap
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,167

Post#274 » by aggo » Sat Jun 5, 2021 1:09 am

stuff to explore first:

Trading for Lavine/Beal:
offer IQ + 3 FRPs

Trading for Lillard:
give them the farm. IQ or Obi + 3FRPs + 3 Swaps is a baseline minimum I'd assume.

if both fail:

Dump Bullock/Burks/Noel/Rose

we need to target a PG in the draft. If we can't move up 5+ slots for this PG I would just keep 19/21 and draft guard and F.

give 2/20 to Ibaka
give 4/65 to Fournier
give 3/60 to Lowry

Lowry/Vildoza
Fournier/IQ
RJ/
Randle/Obi/Ibaka
Mitch/Ibaka

Dream would be:

Lillard for IQ + Knox + 3FRPs + 3 swaps
sign Fournier 4/65
sign Ibaka 2/20

im not 100% sure it works cap wise though.

Lillard/Vildoza
Fournier
RJ
Randle/Obi/Ibaka
Mitch/Ibaka
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#275 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Jun 5, 2021 2:05 am

I'd probably resign Noel. Nobody is gonna get fooled by Noel's one good season to give him any significant raise we shouldn't match. We went on a 9 game win streak with him. And yes it was the regular season but we ain't even in the bubble without those games. Not to mention you just never know if Mitch goes down again at least you know Noel has shown he can step in.

I think the thing people won't acknowledge is figuring out who to dump based on a bad series is flawed because you still have to play another season just to get back there and find out. People say regular seasonplayer.....we gotta play next regular season. And maybe by then you're right but a guy like Mitch is starting and Noel only needs to be that guy off the bench. So anyway I'd like to have both Cs back next yr. We have two defensive Cs, its just what we should have as a non negotiable.

I could replace Bullock and Burkes with Chris Duarte and Norm Powell(along with Ball). I'm just saying that's my reasoning based on your choices and parameters. I'd actually love to keep all of them.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Post#276 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sat Jun 5, 2021 3:42 am

Richard4444 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
louisorr wrote:Knicks need to go all in on this FA class. I know its not a great class but the timing trumps the talent. If we sign Lonzo and Derozan for instance and let burks rose noel frank, Payton off the books we can still keep Mitch and randle when their contracts come up. The reason we shouldn't wait for a better class is because RJ obi and IQ will be coming up against those contracts by then.
If we go 3 year +1 team option contracts for those two above FAs we have a pretty damn good team of young veterans and we can draft for both need and upside the next three years to fill it out.

derozan doesn't help us with our outside shooting. we really need another guard/wing who can create AND space.

not a knock on derozan. he's great at what he does. we just don't need more of what he does at the moment -- especially at that price point.

I am not a big DeRozan fan. But I would not mind him for next season. Especially in a short contract.
He is great in mid-range and a good playmaker too. And most important, we can get him without giving away assets.

Rose was very important to us thanks to his mid-range. Another scorer option would be great. I believe Randle, RJ. IQ and Bullock/Burks can keep their great 3pt shooting. Adding a PG who can shoot 3s and will be with a lot of great long-range shooters and we can afford a bad long-range shooter like DeRozan.

really good player. we need a floor spacer... and another floor spacer. derozan isn't helping this team when folks play zone and pack the paint.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
BugginOut
Head Coach

Post#277 » by BugginOut » Sat Jun 5, 2021 3:53 am

Add one Kawhi to the list
Celo
Junior
And1: 150

Post#278 » by Celo » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:50 am

BugginOut wrote:
JXL wrote:

Bullock wasn’t terrible. He had two games where he had 4 3s and shot 35% overall. In comparison for the hawks only Trae and Bogdan hit 4 threes in a game with Bogdan doing it twice and Trae doing it once. Bogdan shot 33% for the series and Trae shot 34%.

There aren’t that man 3 and D players available, LeBron would of loved to have him on the Lakers with their poor shooting. If we can get him on a deal we should definitely do it. I’d do 4 year 40 million easily.

I'd like to bring Bullock back, too. But it can't be as a starter if you aim for more than a 1st round exit. Think about it that way: Assuming everyone's healthy, which other playoff teams would Bullock start for? Wizards are a lock, probably the Lakers, too, with the way their players played this Post-Season. But other than those 2? Maybe the Grizzlies, but I'm not sure about that since they have Bane sitting on the bench. No way he's a starter for any other team imo. So the maximum I'd pay for him would be around - or even better below - the MLE. For next season it's supposed to be 9.5m. It seems like he wants to be back, so maybe we'll get a slight discount, so that he'll end up in the 8-9m range? I think that would be a reasonable deal to get him back. I don't care about Noel & Burks. If the price's right I'd bring them back. I don't think that'll be the case for Burks, as he may also get offered the MLE from contending teams. Regarding Noel, I don't know what his market may be. I don't think he's a starter in the league, and Back-up bigs don't get that much money in free agency.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,075

Post#279 » by Chanel Bomber » Sat Jun 5, 2021 10:14 am

I checked the net ratings for the series and they're consistent with the regular season regardless of the decision to start Rose:

It's the bench units that lifted this team from mediocre/decent to the #4 seed.

Leading net ratings for the regular season: Rose, Gibson, Quickley, Burks

Leading net ratings for the playoffs: Obi, Burks, Quickley, Gibson

It's not the end-all be-all statistic, but the results are relevant because they're so consistent. It does lead one to ask the question: are our starters really that good, and does it impact how we should view Julius and RJ?

One thing for sure, the rookie Quickley and Burks TORCHED second units all season long. IQ is definitely the worst kept secret on this squad.
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,746

Post#280 » by Adelheid » Sat Jun 5, 2021 11:07 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:I checked the net ratings for the series and they're consistent with the regular season regardless of the decision to start Rose:

It's the bench units that lifted this team from mediocre/decent to the #4 seed.

Leading net ratings for the regular season: Rose, Gibson, Quickley, Burks

Leading net ratings for the playoffs: Obi, Burks, Quickley, Gibson

It's not the end-all be-all statistic, but the results are relevant because they're so consistent. It does lead one to ask the question: are our starters really that good, and does it impact how we should view Julius and RJ?

One thing for sure, the rookie Quickley and Burks TORCHED second units all season long. IQ is definitely the worst kept secret on this squad.

Knicks 2nd unit this season is legit good. They always dig out the team from a deficit. Thats why it was maddening Rose was put to start. It screwed the chemistry of the 2nd unit.

Return to New York Knicks