ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks Offseason: List of Needs

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Needs for the Knicks

New PG
78%
New SG
9%
New SF
7%
New C
2%
Retain all these dudes
4%

Total votes: 111

rickxdel
Junior
And1: 448

Re: Knicks Offseason: List of Needs 

Post#61 » by rickxdel » Sun May 30, 2021 11:32 pm

Resign Rose to a reasonable deal 2yr/18m or similar to be our 6th man

Sign Lowry or Mike Conley to an overpaid, but only 1 or 2 yr deal at something like 30 mil a year

Don't sign Julius to an extension yet, let him show he can keep up the level of play he showed this regular season

These playoffs showed us that running the offense through Randle won't work, having a guy like Lowry would be an improvement for our offense

Swing big in 2022 FA
ENYK
Junior
And1: 254

Post#62 » by ENYK » Mon May 31, 2021 12:05 am

Striders wrote:
Meat wrote:randle's gotta go, he can't honestly show his face in msg again can he?

I would prefer Randle not come back. He literally played an all time worst offseason for a supposed "star". There's no trust in him anymore.

Trade him to another team looking for a piece.

This. The media will kills the Knicks for not appreciating what Randle did for the team this season but f**** them... They don't have to live with the embarrassment of supporting a team that has disappointed in epic fashion for DECADES.

They need to trade Randle ASAP this offseason before he regresses back to what is most likely his true form next season. He has proven he can't be counted on as a building block for anything.
ENYK
Junior
And1: 254

Post#63 » by ENYK » Mon May 31, 2021 12:07 am

rickxdel wrote:Resign Rose to a reasonable deal 2yr/18m or similar to be our 6th man

Sign Lowry or Mike Conley to an overpaid, but only 1 or 2 yr deal at something like 30 mil a year

Don't sign Julius to an extension yet, let him show he can keep up the level of play he showed this regular season

These playoffs showed us that running the offense through Randle won't work, having a guy like Lowry would be an improvement for our offense

Swing big in 2022 FA

Swing big for who? Lavine? Beal?

There aren't any UFAs worth mentioning who can remake the fortunes of a team until 2024 or 2025.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,254

Post#64 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon May 31, 2021 12:30 am

The Knicks need a real offensive engine and more 3-point shooting on the floor.

You can't have more than 1 player who can't shoot the 3 in your line-up in today's NBA. You only needed watch the Bucks-Heat series to realize that.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,258
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#65 » by BKlutch » Mon May 31, 2021 12:44 am

JXL wrote:With this series vs. Atlanta basically over, I want this forum to focus on what the Knicks need to upgrade this roster around Julius and RJ. What should the options be for this team going forward. This season is already a great success. Now, what does this team need to make that next leap?

This is exactly how I see it. This is a great team, and I love them.

The big question is who to add?
Who to let got?
and should Elfrat's mom get to decide?

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

Post#66 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon May 31, 2021 12:44 am

Free Palestine
Dave DaButcher
Sixth Man
And1: 4,296

Post#67 » by Dave DaButcher » Mon May 31, 2021 12:57 am

Question for the group: if a disgruntled Jimmy Buckets demands to be reunited with Uncle Thibs, who and what would you be willing to trade?

And how much would you be willing to up the ante if landing Jimmy B. materially raised our odds of also attracting his buddy Kawhi?
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#68 » by BKlutch » Mon May 31, 2021 1:01 am

Kampuchea wrote:
frothbrain wrote:Bullock is such a garbage player but this fanbase is so pathetic and ignorant so what do you expect.

Damn, the mods let you get away with calling the entire forum pathetic?

We have this guy, NewKnicks and Mentality trolling on level 10 the past week. GTFO

This. It's gone beyond trolling, and he's been a long term problem here.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

BKlutch
RealGM

Post#69 » by BKlutch » Mon May 31, 2021 1:03 am

DowNY wrote:Is this where I can get my trade idea urges off or nah?

Yeah, but not so good for those "other" urges :lol:

BKlutch
RealGM

Post#70 » by BKlutch » Mon May 31, 2021 1:07 am

JXL wrote:I keep bringing this up, and no one listens. This is the player I want the Knicks to bring in. AT. ALL. COSTS.

He's the one player in the league I most want, but not at "all" costs. I'd pay a lot, though.

El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,594

Post#71 » by El Poochio » Mon May 31, 2021 1:18 am

:nod:

Cut Vildoza lol

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,583

Post#72 » by NYG » Mon May 31, 2021 1:21 am

8516knicks wrote:We desperately need a scorer who can get his own shot. We're already playing 4 vs 5 (with our non-scoring centers). Rj looking like a 4th option now. And JR playing like a 3rd option. That leaves 2 scorers/distributors to be had at minimum. After the way JR, Thibs and co. raised our hopes only to CRUSH them so completely this post-season, can't see extending JR now, not without a scorer leading the team and a PG/distributor to ease the load on him. Bullock and Burks can go. Keep Rose for 2nd unit. Anyone available for a trade at this point.

I know a lot of Knicks fans hate it, but this is exactly why the idea of not using assets to get better and just using cap space to add DeRozan and Lowry to 2 year deals is growing on me. I think DeRozan has become severely underrated because he can't shoot, but he scores at an efficient and effective rate. He is friends with Kyle Lowry and that could likely get him here too.

I understand why a lot of people hate it, but is the ceiling of that team that much lower than trading all of our assets for a Jimmy Butler type of star. DeRozan could easily play the Butler role in Thibs system and we keep Quickley, Toppin, Knox, Randle, Robinson, Barrett, Vildoza, 19, 21, all of our future picks.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,215

Post#73 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon May 31, 2021 1:36 am

What is there to do? Overpay RFAs...trade the farm for disgruntled star who hasn't materialized yet? Overpay a non star?

The FA class sucks. The RFAs will cost us. You can't count on the trade but...that too will cost a lot. The draft picks are weak and Thibs won't play them most likely. This summer has the potential to be the worst in a long time. Just because there is nothing to get excited about.

Randle is a huge question mark for me and picking up his option is as far as I'm willing to go with him right now with my emotions. :lol:

It was fun rooting for and watching wins but...there was always the nagging feeling of "is it worth it"? F we lose this series... I'm not so sure.

The only thing I'm interested in next year is seeing Vildoza..and the return of Mitch.
:beer: RIP mags
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,594

Post#74 » by El Poochio » Mon May 31, 2021 1:45 am

Damn I just realized OKC has Micic's draft rights nvm lol

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,084

Post#75 » by moocow007 » Mon May 31, 2021 4:01 am

It's been clear since before the season started and throughout the season. I've said so on this board and I've said so in the NBNF podcast...

The Knicks need more talent. Specifically and ideally at PG. No they don't just need more shooting. That's like saying that a 400lb fat chick with sideburns and a problem with hygiene just needs to use more perfume.

They need a PG that can actually put pressure on the opposing defense, drive through the paint and either score or pass to open shooters/cutters. A true starting PG in today's NBA. You cannot run the offense through Julius Randle come the playoffs. He's not Lebron James (something I've been saying since Randle first became a Knick). And it's not a knock on Randle.

To be able to excel in the NBA and do serious damage in the playoffs you simply cannot continue to have to rely on guys to do more than they can possibly do and play roles that are bigger than what they are used to and/or are capable of. Cannot. Especially come playoff time when EVERYTHING gets more difficult.

The Knicks need a serious starting caliber PG that the offense can run through (I'm assuming they are not going to get a top 5 NBA talent). It'll put less pressure on the Knicks to have to rely on Randle to be their defacto PG and it will also make Randle's life on the offensive end easier by having someone else that the other teams defense actually has to consistently worry about scoring.
RandlesCornrows
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,603

Post#76 » by RandlesCornrows » Mon May 31, 2021 4:02 am

Sign Lonzo.
Trade McCollum for Obi + 19th + Mavs pick (Powell trade makes McCollum available. I can totally see this happening)

Trade up 21+32 to 15 and draft Davion Mitchell

Lonzo Ball — Davion Mitchell
CJ McCollum — Immanuel Quickley
RJ Barrett — Reggie Bullock
Julius Randle — Otto Porter Jr
Mitchell Robinson — Taj Gibson

You add Lonzo that can run any offense, hit threes, play elite defense. Draft Davion whose is a tough, hard-nosed point guard who impacts both ends of the floor, quick first step, 3 point shooter. A SG that can score with the best of them, which will make Randle’s job easier.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,084

Post#77 » by moocow007 » Mon May 31, 2021 4:02 am

BKlutch wrote:
JXL wrote:I keep bringing this up, and no one listens. This is the player I want the Knicks to bring in. AT. ALL. COSTS.

He's the one player in the league I most want, but not at "all" costs. I'd pay a lot, though.

There is no reason the Thunder woudl trade SGA nor is there anything the Knicks have that would get them a package that would get the Thunder to trade him to the Knicks.
Davis18
Senior
And1: 695

Post#78 » by Davis18 » Mon May 31, 2021 6:15 am

I am all for trading picks for young star guard or wing.
Past trades were bad because team bottomed out after but this team hopefully won't.

I would not mind exploring Randle trade as well.
A positive spin from this series is showing PF cannot be primary play maker.

I would look to improve both back court position and move RJ to 3.
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran
And1: 2,534

Post#79 » by Ghetto Gospel » Mon May 31, 2021 6:19 am

no one is trading their young star guard or wing

RJ already plays the 3
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,359

Post#80 » by Ray Williams » Mon May 31, 2021 8:10 am

moocow007 wrote:It's been clear since before the season started and throughout the season. I've said so on this board and I've said so in the NBNF podcast...

The Knicks need more talent. Specifically and ideally at PG. No they don't just need more shooting. That's like saying that a 400lb fat chick with sideburns and a problem with hygiene just needs to use more perfume.

They need a PG that can actually put pressure on the opposing defense, drive through the paint and either score or pass to open shooters/cutters. A true starting PG in today's NBA. You cannot run the offense through Julius Randle come the playoffs. He's not Lebron James (something I've been saying since Randle first became a Knick). And it's not a knock on Randle.

To be able to excel in the NBA and do serious damage in the playoffs you simply cannot continue to have to rely on guys to do more than they can possibly do and play roles that are bigger than what they are used to and/or are capable of. Cannot. Especially come playoff time when EVERYTHING gets more difficult.

The Knicks need a serious starting caliber PG that the offense can run through (I'm assuming they are not going to get a top 5 NBA talent). It'll put less pressure on the Knicks to have to rely on Randle to be their defacto PG and it will also make Randle's life on the offensive end easier by having someone else that the other teams defense actually has to consistently worry about scoring.

Without the offense running through Randle, would he still be effective, or would Obi be a better fit with a true PG?

Return to New York Knicks