ImageImageImageImageImage

How high up in the draft would both FRPs get us?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,398

Re: How high up in the draft would both FRPs get us? 

Post#181 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:29 pm

GSW 14th. They're not keeping that pick so I think they'll trade back to get more cheap labor
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
ScienceOfLosing
Sixth Man
And1: 1,627

Post#182 » by ScienceOfLosing » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:59 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
ScienceOfLosing wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Nobody wants these sh*tty picks in the late teens/early 20s, early 30s.

In this draft I strongly disagree. And even in general teams that like to develop players, and overseas guys, like San Antonio would gladly take those picks.

And on top of this, the draft is really strong, so much so that there is a fair chance a lot of the guys taken at 10-15 or so, are pretty much the same as those 7 to 10 picks later. So some teams might love those picks, but no one in the top 5 of course. Maybe with additional assets we can move up to 8 or so.

But, maybe we can't find a taker and then I just say we draft 1 or 2 guys that are in USA and the other 2 (or even 3) are overseas' stock. A bit like a battery for storage.

My problem is, with Thibs, most of these guys will see no playing time, unless they are older rooks.

If there are good players to take at 15 in a deep draft, why would a team trade down to where the talent always thins out?
Of course we can dig up outliers of guys drafted 19 or 21, but again, if the draft is deep, why trade for extra mediocrity?
What are the Knicks going to offer, outside of volume, to move up?
Obi? IQ? Lolz.

I don't think the talent thins out much, if at all, between 15 and 21. This is an extremely deep draft by all accounts.
Some teams might see a 2 for 1 swap as being worth their while if they see the "point return" being greater with 19 and 21 than e.g. #12.

We are not moving Obi or IQ, unless it is for a top pick, or star.
We can offer 19, 21 and our high second for something like #8 (if they really want someone there, like Mitchell, who would be a Thibs pick.)
ScienceOfLosing
Sixth Man

Post#183 » by ScienceOfLosing » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:00 pm

Adelheid wrote:
ScienceOfLosing wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Nobody wants these sh*tty picks in the late teens/early 20s, early 30s.

In this draft I strongly disagree. And even in general teams that like to develop players, and overseas guys, like San Antonio would gladly take those picks.

And on top of this, the draft is really strong, so much so that there is a fair chance a lot of the guys taken at 10-15 or so, are pretty much the same as those 7 to 10 picks later. So some teams might love those picks, but no one in the top 5 of course. Maybe with additional assets we can move up to 8 or so.

But, maybe we can't find a taker and then I just say we draft 1 or 2 guys that are in USA and the other 2 (or even 3) are overseas' stock. A bit like a battery for storage.

My problem is, with Thibs, most of these guys will see no playing time, unless they are older rooks.

Then the Knicks should get Duarte with one of the picks. He is already 24 and probably ready to contribute.

Not saying it is the right thing to do but whatevs

I agree with you, but they will probably explore options for something, perhaps a bit more guaranteed imo. (e.g. Mitchell)
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,403

Post#184 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:03 pm

ScienceOfLosing wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
ScienceOfLosing wrote:

If there are good players to take at 15 in a deep draft, why would a team trade down to where the talent always thins out?
Of course we can dig up outliers of guys drafted 19 or 21, but again, if the draft is deep, why trade for extra mediocrity?
Obi? IQ? Lolz.

I don't think the talent thins out much, if at all, between 15 and 21. This is an extremely deep draft by all accounts.
Some teams might see a 2 for 1 swap as being worth their while if they see the "point return" being greater with 19 and 21 than e.g. #12.

We are not moving Obi or IQ, unless it is for a top pick, or star.
We can offer 19, 21 and our high second for something like #8 (if they really want someone there, like Mitchell, who would be a Thibs pick.)

Knicks might be able to trade up. It would be if the scouts really like a guy while another team feels the talent is pretty even, as you stated.

I think a lot of us have gotten the "trade up" thing in our head because they don't think the Knicks will keep 3 (or that 4th pick) and also since Perrin got the Jazz to trade up once upon a time.

I mean, if there is a guy they really like and scouts really advocate for that player, I hope they do it.
Then I remember this group decided Obi was the player to pick.
ScienceOfLosing
Sixth Man

Post#185 » by ScienceOfLosing » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:10 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
ScienceOfLosing wrote:

Obi? IQ? Lolz.

It can be a good deal to trade down a #15 pick for #19 and #21 in terms of value.

In all drafts, we usually have a couple of special players that stand out and are chosen in the Top picks. Second-tier players are chosen between 6-15 pick. Third tiers players can be chosen between 10-30 pick.

There is not a clear hierarchy among third-tier players. Playoff contenders usually chose by fit. They usually want a cheap specific role player and they can trade up to get their guy. The trade partner can get 2 shots instead of one, increasing the probability of getting good value.

Depending on who slides, I'd just add I would not trade #19 and #21 for #15, but just as a general statement in terms of value. We have to see who is there, that is a draft time decision, not an early move (now).

Return to New York Knicks