ImageImageImageImageImage

the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season

Moderators: King of Canada, Thugger HBC, NoLayupRule, Jeff Van Gully, Deeeez Knicks, GONYK, Capn'O, mpharris36, mrpoetryNmotion, j4remi, K-DOT

User avatar
aggo
General Manager
Posts: 9,390
And1: 1,235
Joined: Mar 14, 2006

the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#1 » by aggo » Mon Jun 7, 2021 7:40 am

guys

Lonzo is not a difference maker if Randle is still the #1 option next season
Derozan cant shoot threes
Schroder isnt dependable enough


Offseason plan #1:

Trade everything sans RJ, Randle for Lillard
3FRPs, 3 swaps, and IQ for Lillard. If 4 picks are necessary, just do it.

plan #2:

Trade 3FRPs + IQ for Beal
sign Lowry 3/45

plan #3:

sign Fournier 4/65
sign Lowry 3/45
sign Ibaka 2/20


Lowry/Vildoza/IQ
Fournier/IQ
RJ
Randle/Obi/Ibaka
Mitch/Ibaka



why plan 3 works:

Lowry is still atleast an avg dribble drive & pnr point guard
Fournier does have some playmaking ability

meaning the ball is out of Randles hands alot adn we are not depending on him to create for others.
Ghetto Gospel
Senior
Posts: 690
And1: 375
Joined: Feb 08, 2011

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#2 » by Ghetto Gospel » Mon Jun 7, 2021 8:01 am

yeah.. but that plan 3 that you like still has randle being the #1 next season which you say is a mistake
AusKnicksTape
Junior
Posts: 333
And1: 156
Joined: Nov 18, 2016
   

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#3 » by AusKnicksTape » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:33 am

OR....we just accept the fact that next season is clearly not going to be the season in which we can responsibly get our guy so we just look to improve on this year by taking another small step (Lonzo) - and keeping our exciting core of Mitch, Obi, IQ and RJ (plus Randle) - and look to sign THE guy the next season.

Realistically there are just too many teams in their prime right now who will control the narrative on both the east and west. Build conservatively and we can look at competing for the foreseeable future.

That way we keep our depth and we don’t need to worry about constantly needing to rebuild “chemistry”. There’s absolutely nothing exciting to me about getting Lowry Ibaka and Fournier like what!!!?!?
knicks94
Analyst
Posts: 3,706
And1: 1,435
Joined: Apr 01, 2010

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#4 » by knicks94 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:37 am

Another Randle thread is just what we needed. Thank you, OP!
User avatar
Angryfatboy
RealGM
Posts: 27,871
And1: 17,986
Joined: Jan 12, 2013
Location: Queens, NY

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#5 » by Angryfatboy » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:39 am

I thought the goal was to pair randle and lilard together
User avatar
ny-n-md
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,732
And1: 1,252
Joined: Dec 10, 2009
     

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#6 » by ny-n-md » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:43 am

This is a vomit inducing idea. I don’t think we need to follow the formula that has ruined our future many times before by trading everything for a star. This leaves the roster thin and isn’t good enough to win with what remains. That last idea…just no please
JUST PLAY THE KIDS ALREADY!!!!!
User avatar
gavran
RealGM
Posts: 15,698
And1: 5,447
Joined: Nov 02, 2005
Location: crossing the line

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#7 » by gavran » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:08 am

Whenever a poster places the word "everything" after the word "trade" in a serious manner, should be banned automatically by a bot.
KnicksGadfly
General Manager
Posts: 9,100
And1: 5,535
Joined: Jul 29, 2007
Location: Rent Free
   

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#8 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Jun 7, 2021 11:51 am

We’re going to get the same results if we trade everything for Dame and then get him Fournier as his 2 lol....

Also Lowry 3/45? Sign me up right now. Not sure how Fournier got paid more.
Commander of the Dallas Tank!

The mission: to end false narratives about the Knicks

Example of Fake Narratives:
-The Melo era should be celebrated
-Phil Jackson was a good GM
KnicksFan7
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,876
And1: 783
Joined: Feb 08, 2006
       

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#9 » by KnicksFan7 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:20 pm

AusKnicksTape wrote:OR....we just accept the fact that next season is clearly not going to be the season in which we can responsibly get our guy so we just look to improve on this year by taking another small step (Lonzo) - and keeping our exciting core of Mitch, Obi, IQ and RJ (plus Randle) - and look to sign THE guy the next season.

Realistically there are just too many teams in their prime right now who will control the narrative on both the east and west. Build conservatively and we can look at competing for the foreseeable future.

That way we keep our depth and we don’t need to worry about constantly needing to rebuild “chemistry”. There’s absolutely nothing exciting to me about getting Lowry Ibaka and Fournier like what!!!?!?

I agree. Also, let's not make a move just to make a move. That's been done in the past and it's killed us. We should build on the core we have and find the right chemistry pieces that will also help us improve. Regardless of the criticism, the team still got the 4 seed this year and there's something to be said about that. Let's take a crawl, walk, run approach and continue to build next season. It'll help us in the long run.
User avatar
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
Posts: 10,482
And1: 15,641
Joined: Sep 20, 2018
 

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#10 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:28 pm

The best long-term bet for the Knicks is to trade for Zach Lavine.

His scoring efficiency is already elite, and he can do it both on and off the ball. He's improved every year since he entered the league, and he's still young, so it's reasonable to assume he's not done improving as a player.

Best short-term option is Chris Paul in free agency.

Either way, the Knicks have to bet on or invest in a difference-maker. Dame fits that description but the Knicks won't be able to build around him, especially since they'll have a short window knowing he's gonna be 31 this summer (unless Kawhi signs here which I don't see happening).
Image
Spree2Houston
Starter
Posts: 2,401
And1: 2,148
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
     

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#11 » by Spree2Houston » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:39 pm

Depleting the team for one player would put us back to where we were in 2012 - a second round exit team. We’re not beating any of the top 4 east teams regardless of those trades. You can get the same end result running it back with this team. People are back to star-phucking again. We never learn.
8516knicks
Rookie
Posts: 1,232
And1: 638
Joined: May 18, 2017
   

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#12 » by 8516knicks » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:04 pm

gavran wrote:Whenever a foster places the word "everything" after the word "trade" in a serious manner, should be banned automatically by a bot.


I feel the same way about posters! 8-) :lol: :wink:
User avatar
Fury
Knicks Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
Posts: 20,817
And1: 11,345
Joined: Mar 07, 2007
       

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#13 » by Fury » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:06 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:The best long-term bet for the Knicks is to trade for Zach Lavine.

His scoring efficiency is already elite, and he can do it both on and off the ball. He's improved every year since he entered the league, and he's still young, so it's reasonable to assume he's not done improving as a player.

Best short-term option is Chris Paul in free agency.

Either way, the Knicks have to bet on or invest in a difference-maker. Dame fits that description but the Knicks won't be able to build around him, especially since they'll have a short window knowing he's gonna be 31 this summer (unless Kawhi signs here which I don't see happening).


Is Lavine going to be available? What would we give up?
8516knicks
Rookie
Posts: 1,232
And1: 638
Joined: May 18, 2017
   

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#14 » by 8516knicks » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:11 pm

We're unlikely to strike gold in FA/trades. Our next step would be the 2nd round. So How about affordable difference makers in the interim? Use the three/four draft picks to hopefully find the next Halliburton. Rumors are Nunn and N. Powell are on their radar for backcourt shooting. Someone like L. Markenen would be good as we have no frontcourt shooters. And probably one of Bullock/Burks makes way for someone a bit more well rounded who can still shoot. And there have to be gettable inexpensive PGs who can do a lot more than Elfrid who can match well with Rose's 20 min.
User avatar
3toheadmelo
RealGM
Posts: 53,588
And1: 62,037
Joined: Feb 15, 2015
 

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#15 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:53 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:The best long-term bet for the Knicks is to trade for Zach Lavine.

His scoring efficiency is already elite, and he can do it both on and off the ball. He's improved every year since he entered the league, and he's still young, so it's reasonable to assume he's not done improving as a player.

Best short-term option is Chris Paul in free agency.

Either way, the Knicks have to bet on or invest in a difference-maker. Dame fits that description but the Knicks won't be able to build around him, especially since they'll have a short window knowing he's gonna be 31 this summer (unless Kawhi signs here which I don't see happening).

If the Bulls are losing miserably by the trade deadline next year, they are definitely gonna trade him. Now the bigger question is, do we wait for him to hit free agency or pull the trigger on a trade?
Cavs Nation 2021 BAF Champions x Bubble Champs
PG: J Murray/ Schroder
SG: Lavine/Dunn
SF: Tatum/Hart
PF: Adebayo/Tate
C: Ayton/Randle


It's like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain't directed directly at me, I don't respect it
User avatar
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
Posts: 10,482
And1: 15,641
Joined: Sep 20, 2018
 

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#16 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:00 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:The best long-term bet for the Knicks is to trade for Zach Lavine.

His scoring efficiency is already elite, and he can do it both on and off the ball. He's improved every year since he entered the league, and he's still young, so it's reasonable to assume he's not done improving as a player.

Best short-term option is Chris Paul in free agency.

Either way, the Knicks have to bet on or invest in a difference-maker. Dame fits that description but the Knicks won't be able to build around him, especially since they'll have a short window knowing he's gonna be 31 this summer (unless Kawhi signs here which I don't see happening).

If the Bulls are losing miserably by the trade deadline next year, they are definitely gonna trade him. Now the bigger question is, do we wait for him to hit free agency or pull the trigger on a trade?

I think we have to trade for him. Isn't the difference in salary going to be significant depending on which team has his bird rights?

Problem is I like the potential of all our young players. But I'm starting to rethink my stance on Obi/IQ vs RJ because the game seems to come a lot easier to them, and at the end of the day efficiency is the name of the game. I still favor RJ, but I'm starting to question that.

For Lavine, I'll trade a few unprotected firsts, no question about it. I like our youth more than these picks.
Image
User avatar
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
Posts: 10,482
And1: 15,641
Joined: Sep 20, 2018
 

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#17 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:02 pm

Fury wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:The best long-term bet for the Knicks is to trade for Zach Lavine.

His scoring efficiency is already elite, and he can do it both on and off the ball. He's improved every year since he entered the league, and he's still young, so it's reasonable to assume he's not done improving as a player.

Best short-term option is Chris Paul in free agency.

Either way, the Knicks have to bet on or invest in a difference-maker. Dame fits that description but the Knicks won't be able to build around him, especially since they'll have a short window knowing he's gonna be 31 this summer (unless Kawhi signs here which I don't see happening).


Is Lavine going to be available? What would we give up?

Chicago screwed up by trading for Vuc. They are not making the playoffs with that team, so Lavine might be looking for a different situation. I don't know what it would take to bring him here, but I'd trade a few first for him. Chicago would probably want one of our young players, and that's the hard part imo. IQ would be the logical trade piece but I think he's special.
Image
seren
RealGM
Posts: 23,166
And1: 3,106
Joined: Jul 21, 2002

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#18 » by seren » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:05 pm

Atlanta is doing well. They went the right route: Find number one and build around. Randle is not number one so no reason to try to build around him. Just accept that fact and continue hustling.

That said, here is my off season priority: Extend Randle and Mitchell. Get some guard help. Don’t give up future picks unless for a superstar.
KnixinSix
Pro Prospect
Posts: 936
And1: 382
Joined: Jul 27, 2013

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#19 » by KnixinSix » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:07 pm

aggo wrote:guys

Lonzo is not a difference maker if Randle is still the #1 option next season
Derozan cant shoot threes
Schroder isnt dependable enough


Offseason plan #1:

Trade everything sans RJ, Randle for Lillard
3FRPs, 3 swaps, and IQ for Lillard. If 4 picks are necessary, just do it.

plan #2:

Trade 3FRPs + IQ for Beal
sign Lowry 3/45

plan #3:

sign Fournier 4/65
sign Lowry 3/45
sign Ibaka 2/20


Lowry/Vildoza/IQ
Fournier/IQ
RJ
Randle/Obi/Ibaka
Mitch/Ibaka



why plan 3 works:

Lowry is still atleast an avg dribble drive & pnr point guard
Fournier does have some playmaking ability

meaning the ball is out of Randles hands alot adn we are not depending on him to create for others.


Strongly Agree with the overall idea about not letting JR be your #1 especially if the goal is a championship.

Absolutely agree with trying to go all out for a still few years from his decline 31 year old Lillard.

Also believe if we pull off Lillard and Clips fall short in round 2 or even maybe in the finals , Kawhi would consider coming to play here.
For I am unashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God unto salvation to those who believe. For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last. -Romans 1:16-17
Dantares
Head Coach
Posts: 6,478
And1: 2,732
Joined: Oct 08, 2003

Re: the mistake: letting randle be the #1 into next season 

Post#20 » by Dantares » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:10 pm

He was by far the worst #1 option in the playoffs. He was like Kyle Lowry and Demar Derozan on the raptors bad.

He is terrible when he catches the ball in the triple threat position or tries to post up starting from 15 feet away. His arms are so short its just hard for him to get clean looks over lengthy defenders so he has to do a weak off balance fade away.

Julius is best when he is attacking down hill. But he couldn't even do that because Thibs didn't have many plays where Julius could attack off curls. Also Julius couldn't attack the paint because the hawks didn't respect his 3 point shot. They just crowded the middle and Julius kept bricking 3's so he could never get the hawks defense to shift.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

Image

Return to New York Knicks