ImageImageImageImageImage

The uncomfortable "truth" about this season (Julius and RJ)

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,648

Re: The uncomfortable "truth" about this season (Julius and RJ) 

Post#261 » by nedleeds » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:48 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:what exactly would he have looked like against the Bucks, Sixers or Heat over the course of a series? Teams that can scheme him and have individual defenders to go at him as well.

Go look at our record against Nets, Heat, Sixers and the non-Thannasis Run Bucks.

0-3 vs. sixers
0-2 vs. nuggets
0-3 vs. heat
0-3 vs. nets

Thibs banked fake wins against trash teams who were either sitting players out for covid or tanking. We banked like 10-15 compplete **** wins. This team is garbage in a normal season with normal rosters. We'd be lucky to scratch the 8th seed.

But yeah let's max Randle for going 3-0 vs. the Wizards and Lloyd Pierce.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#262 » by Fury » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:00 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
DaGawd wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:RJ was at 1.07ppp as the PnR ball handler during the the playoffs, he was at .79ppp during the season. Can someone please tell me how to these numbers do not matter.

Break this down for me

RJ is above average as a PnR ball handler for his position, we don't run the play frequently and instead make him do things he's not as good at. Any other team would give him 2-3x more possessions running the play. If you gave him possessions as a ball handler and ran high screen and roll action between him and Mitch (an elite rollman) our offense would run better and the ball would move more. For reference points, JA Morant was at .81ppp on the season as the ball handler, Trae Young who absolutely killed us with it is at 1.14 for the playoffs, so here we have a person on our team that the analytics favor running the play, but we don't do it. For the playoffs RJ was in the 76th percentile running the PnR, instead of going to it more, we continued to go to what wasn't working.

Instead people complain about what they think RJ will never be, when it's pretty obvious that he should be on the ball more, in the corner less, and running modern high screen and roll action like almost every other team in the league.

Excellent post.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 40,628

Post#263 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:09 pm

NYKat wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
NYKat wrote:I’m not in the doubting Julius business anymore, at the beginning of the season all of you would have traded Randle for a bag of peanuts in favor of Obi and would have been crying about he developed into a superstar elsewhere...

I’m down to ride with Julius as a number 2 on a contender, because he will improve.

I'd trade for a bag of peanuts now, he had one of the worst playoff performances in the last 20 years, and that's not even hyperbole. That wasn't just playoff jitters, that was an exposal like what happened to Siakam, except his performance was even worse than Pascals.

You don't double down on a guy after he shoots .298% from the field with 4.6 topg. If he looked like that against the Hawks, what exactly would he have looked like against the Bucks, Sixers or Heat over the course of a series? Teams that can scheme him and have individual defenders to go at him as well.

Trading an all nba player for a bag of peanuts, is such a Knick fan thing to do, knee jerk reactions over emotion, I think our front office is better than this

Pascal Siakam is an all-nba player, MIP and an all-star, the Raptors would trade him the first chance they get right now.

Wanting to throw the bag at someone after they had a historically bad playoff, after an outlier career year is a Knicks thing, it's based on emotional attachment and not logic. The logical thing to do is sell high on him since he's going to be a free agent, you know, like the Raps should have done with Pascal, or the Magic should have done with Vucevic.

R/R on Randle right now is poor, you'd be better off getting a bag of peanuts and keeping the caproom open than you would keeping him and locking him into a max or near max deal.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,490

Post#264 » by Meat » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:11 pm

nedleeds wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:what exactly would he have looked like against the Bucks, Sixers or Heat over the course of a series? Teams that can scheme him and have individual defenders to go at him as well.

Go look at our record against Nets, Heat, Sixers and the non-Thannasis Run Bucks.

0-3 vs. sixers
0-2 vs. nuggets
0-3 vs. heat
0-3 vs. nets

Thibs banked fake wins against trash teams who were either sitting players out for covid or tanking. We banked like 10-15 compplete **** wins. This team is garbage in a normal season with normal rosters. We'd be lucky to scratch the 8th seed.

no one is calling the knicks great, they're good and that's what good teams do, they beat trash teams and that's the difference between good and trash teams.. great teams beat good ones. is this really something that needed to be explained?
ENYK
Junior
And1: 254

Post#265 » by ENYK » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:18 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
NYKat wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

I'd trade for a bag of peanuts now, he had one of the worst playoff performances in the last 20 years, and that's not even hyperbole. That wasn't just playoff jitters, that was an exposal like what happened to Siakam, except his performance was even worse than Pascals.

You don't double down on a guy after he shoots .298% from the field with 4.6 topg. If he looked like that against the Hawks, what exactly would he have looked like against the Bucks, Sixers or Heat over the course of a series? Teams that can scheme him and have individual defenders to go at him as well.

Trading an all nba player for a bag of peanuts, is such a Knick fan thing to do, knee jerk reactions over emotion, I think our front office is better than this

Pascal Siakam is an all-nba player, MIP and an all-star, the Raptors would trade him the first chance they get right now.

Wanting to throw the bag at someone after they had a historically bad playoff, after an outlier career year is a Knicks thing, it's based on emotional attachment and not logic. The logical thing to do is sell high on him since he's going to be a free agent, you know, like the Raps should have done with Pascal, or the Magic should have done with Vucevic.

R/R on Randle right now is poor, you'd be better off getting a bag of peanuts and keeping the caproom open than you would keeping him and locking him into a max or near max deal.

Exactly... but I think we could actually get some sort of return for Randle right now (not just peanuts). He s*** the bed in the playoffs but I'm sure some team with picks/a young player but on a win now timeline might bite (maybe the Warriors) to make him a complementary piece for a season.

He becomes untradeable if we extend him and he continues to revert to the mean of his career performance.
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran
And1: 2,534

Post#266 » by Ghetto Gospel » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:25 pm

Meat wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:
Meat wrote:Why haven’t you won the lottery yet?

because i dont play it, i dont have delusions of grandeur. when was the last time we got a superstar player in free agency or trade that made us a contender? what makes you think we'll get one now? media infused delusions of grandeur?

i don't have delusions of grandeur, i just know the nature of first times. and i can infer, i know that the nba wants the knicks to be good, and from the twitter reactions of actual nba players\stars i know that nba players have some feeling about a MSG popping off.

when was the last time the nets signed a superstar player? suddenly they have 2 in free agency
when was the last time the clippers suddenly have 2(Well 1.5)

that's the nature of first times, it happens for the first time(or first time in a while)

well, the nba has always wanted the knicks to be good, this isn't a recent development. nba players also got to see that feeling of MSG popping off in 2013 when we made the 2nd round, this also isn't some recent development.

kyrie & kd went to brooklyn because kyrie was from new jersey and a nets fan growing up then kd ended just following him there because they wanted to play together
kawhi went to the clippers because he's from los angeles, wants to live in los angeles, didn't want to be on the lakers, and so had to join the clippers.

i dont buy this media narrative that it was this great brooklyn culture or whatever that got kyrie there or whatever bull the media spewed about kawhi going to the clippers other than it's just where he's from and it's a great place to live.

I think it'd be nice if it happened to us for the first time but could any of these near-future disgruntled superstars be hidden knicks fans? Only donovan was born in the NY area, and he's years away from getting here considering he just signed his max deal
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,648

Post#267 » by nedleeds » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:25 pm

Meat wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

0-3 vs. sixers
0-2 vs. nuggets
0-3 vs. heat
0-3 vs. nets

no one is calling the knicks great, they're good and that's what good teams do, they beat trash teams and that's the difference between good and trash teams.. great teams beat good ones. is this really something that needed to be explained?

Oh I think you are wrong. People are staring at that 4th seed (which was like 7 games from the 9th seed) and saying the Knicks are back and that we're a good or great team.

Good teams don't go 0 and f'ing 9 vs. the 3 good teams in the conference. We're a bad team and in a normal season that would have been very apparent.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#268 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:26 pm

ENYK wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
NYKat wrote:

Exactly... but I think we could actually get some sort of return for Randle right now (not just peanuts). He s*** the bed in the playoffs but I'm sure some team with picks/a young player but on a win now timeline might bite (maybe the Warriors) to make him a complementary piece for a season.

He becomes untradeable if we extend him and he continues to revert to the mean of his career performance.

I don't think he'd have a big market, you'd need a team like the Wolves or Kings to take him, and people wouldn't want anything realistic back from those teams, like most here would think think we could ask for a top 5 pick back for him which isn't happening. He's more valuable to us than he is to other teams, and fans now have an emotional attachment to him.

Like you said though, if he has a down season we're ****. His entire game goes down the drain when he's not making the three, cause he can't force you to play up on him at that point. If he can't shoot in front of normal sized crowds we'd have held onto a lemon, the risk/reward on him is now pretty bad.
ENYK
Junior
And1: 254

Post#269 » by ENYK » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:33 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
ENYK wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

I don't think he'd have a big market, you'd need a team like the Wolves or Kings to take him, and people wouldn't want anything realistic back from those teams, like most here would think think we could ask for a top 5 pick back for him which isn't happening. He's more valuable to us than he is to other teams, and fans now have an emotional attachment to him.

Like you said though, if he has a down season we're ****. His entire game goes down the drain when he's not making the three, cause he can't force you to play up on him at that point. If he can't shoot in front of normal sized crowds we'd have held onto a lemon, the risk/reward on him is now pretty bad.

Randle alone doesn't do it... but packaged with picks and maybe one of the young guys (not IQ, please) might be able to get us into the top 5 or so... It all depends how these teams view this year's prospects. The best player on the board might be a PG, and they have a glut at that position (Kings)...

I just hope the FO is cold blooded enough to do the hard thing (from fan/media/other players' perception) and move on from Randle.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#270 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:44 pm

ENYK wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
ENYK wrote:

Randle alone doesn't do it... but packaged with picks and maybe one of the young guys (not IQ, please) might be able to get us into the top 5 or so... It all depends how these teams view this year's prospects. The best player on the board might be a PG, and they have a glut at that position (Kings)...

I just hope the FO is cold blooded enough to do the hard thing (from fan/media/other players' perception) and move on from Randle.

There's nothing we have that gets us into the top 5, all the teams drafting in those spots need the talent from the draft more than they need Randle. The goal should be getting out of Randle's contract more than anything else, he's not going to be worth whatever it is he's asking for. I'd take back Beasley and McDaniels at this point for him, there's just no value in a ball dominant, ball movement stopping player that isn't Luka, LeBron or Harden.

They won't be cold blooded, someone like Jerry West would have traded him at the deadline. If we sign him to a max we're done for the first half of this decade, it's that simple.
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,385

Post#271 » by NYKat » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:46 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
NYKat wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

Siakam has never put up a full season like Julius though, but where they are similar, I believe, is them as legit number 2’s, Siakam has already proven it and Julius next to a number 1 would be better than this year.
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#272 » by BugginOut » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:51 pm

nedleeds wrote:
Meat wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

0-3 vs. sixers
0-2 vs. nuggets
0-3 vs. heat
0-3 vs. nets

Oh I think you are wrong. People are staring at that 4th seed (which was like 7 games from the 9th seed) and saying the Knicks are back and that we're a good or great team.

Good teams don't go 0 and f'ing 9 vs. the 3 good teams in the conference. We're a bad team and in a normal season that would have been very apparent.

I don’t know what you are trying to get at. We blew out the Bucks once at full strength, we beat Utah, Clippers, Blazers, Lakers, Memphis all at least once. We beat the teams we were supposed to beat. If we did any better against the top teams we would of been a top 3 seed.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#273 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:56 pm

NYKat wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
NYKat wrote:

Siakam has never put up a full season like Julius though, but where they are similar, I believe, is them as legit number 2’s, Siakam has already proven it and Julius next to a number 1 would be better than this year.

See, this is where the numbers come up, Siakam when he made the all-star team averaged 23/7/3.5, he wasn't even among the top 30 players in the league for touches, he didn't even handle the ball the most on the Raptors. He scored and did things within the flow of an offense. What Julius did this year, and the numbers you're quoting are from someone who had the ball in his hands more than Lillard, Curry, Giannis, Tatum, Towns, Beal, LaVine, Embiid etc etc. He had the ball in his hands almost as much as Luka and LeBron.

You think that guy can be a number 2 option? He was basically the Russell Westbrook of PF, handle the ball a ton and post gaudy stats until the playoff exposal. I don't think you're understanding just how bad he was in the playoffs, everyone of our starters actually was over 105 offensive rating against the Hawks, except Julius who was at a putrid 84. Nah man, we gotta trade that or let him walk.
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,356

Post#274 » by Ray Williams » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:01 pm

Ghetto Gospel wrote:
Meat wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:
because i dont play it, i dont have delusions of grandeur. when was the last time we got a superstar player in free agency or trade that made us a contender? what makes you think we'll get one now? media infused delusions of grandeur?

i don't have delusions of grandeur, i just know the nature of first times. and i can infer, i know that the nba wants the knicks to be good, and from the twitter reactions of actual nba players\stars i know that nba players have some feeling about a MSG popping off.

when was the last time the nets signed a superstar player? suddenly they have 2 in free agency

that's the nature of first times, it happens for the first time(or first time in a while)

well, the nba has always wanted the knicks to be good, this isn't a recent development. nba players also got to see that feeling of MSG popping off in 2013 when we made the 2nd round, this also isn't some recent development.

kyrie & kd went to brooklyn because kyrie was from new jersey and a nets fan growing up then kd ended just following him there because they wanted to play together
kawhi went to the clippers because he's from los angeles, wants to live in los angeles, didn't want to be on the lakers, and so had to join the clippers.

i dont buy this media narrative that it was this great brooklyn culture or whatever that got kyrie there or whatever bull the media spewed about kawhi going to the clippers other than it's just where he's from and it's a great place to live.

I think it'd be nice if it happened to us for the first time but could any of these near-future disgruntled superstars be hidden knicks fans? Only donovan was born in the NY area, and he's years away from getting here considering he just signed his max deal

I don’t think the nba wanted us to be good when they suspended half our roster for that playoff fight in Miami for players on the bench putting one foot on the court.Same situations have come up since then and the rules were never followed to the letter of the law again.
I think someone twisted Stern’s arm to get us Ewing and we’ve been paying for it ever since.
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,385

Post#275 » by NYKat » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:13 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
NYKat wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

See, this is where the numbers come up, Siakam when he made the all-star team averaged 23/7/3.5, he wasn't even among the top 30 players in the league for touches, he didn't even handle the ball the most on the Raptors. He scored and did things within the flow of an offense. What Julius did this year, and the numbers you're quoting are from someone who had the ball in his hands more than Lillard, Curry, Giannis, Tatum, Towns, Beal, LaVine, Embiid etc etc. He had the ball in his hands almost as much as Luka and LeBron.

You think that guy can be a number 2 option? He was basically the Russell Westbrook of PF, handle the ball a ton and post gaudy stats until the playoff exposal. I don't think you're understanding just how bad he was in the playoffs, everyone of our starters actually was over 105 offensive rating against the Hawks, except Julius who was at a putrid 84. Nah man, we gotta trade that or let him walk.

...And this is where the eye test comes up and becomes more important the analytics... look, it’s not quantifiable, but Julius performance in the playoffs was all mental, he was frazzled by the moment... The guy was passing up good shots (open threes, shots he normally takes) and taking bad shots and making unforced errors.

And if you look at Julius career he is unique in that he grows from his errors, year to year more than the average player. Randle is a stock, I would continue to buy on... but not as franchise leader but definitely a number 2, we’re really one piece away from contention.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,490

Post#276 » by Meat » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:22 pm

Ray Williams wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:
Meat wrote:i don't have delusions of grandeur, i just know the nature of first times. and i can infer, i know that the nba wants the knicks to be good, and from the twitter reactions of actual nba players\stars i know that nba players have some feeling about a MSG popping off.

I don’t think the nba wanted us to be good when they suspended half our roster for that playoff fight in Miami for players on the bench putting one foot on the court.Same situations have come up since then and the rules were never followed to the letter of the law again.
I think someone twisted Stern’s arm to get us Ewing and we’ve been paying for it ever since.

The nba is still a for profit business right?
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#277 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:24 pm

NYKat wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
NYKat wrote:

...And this is where the eye test comes up and becomes more important the analytics... look, it’s not quantifiable, but Julius performance in the playoffs was all mental, he was frazzled by the moment... The guy was passing up good shots (open threes, shots he normally takes) and taking bad shots and making unforced errors.

And if you look at Julius career he is unique in that he grows from his errors, year to year more than the average player. Randle is a stock, I would continue to buy on... but not as franchise leader but definitely a number 2, we’re really one piece away from contention.

No, it wasn't all mental, they took away his left hand and forced him right and did their best not to give up the middle. What worked in the regular season was no longer available to him, it's not like he's explosive you back up off him if the jumper isn't falling and hurts your offense because he refuses to give up the ball but can't even run a pick and roll because the opposing team will just switch it. It is quantifiable, he had one of the worst playoff performances of the last 2 decades, and you can look at his shot chart and see what the Hawks did to him.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/julius-randle-shot-chart-playoff-2021

If he were a stock he'd have 6 years of poor performance and 1 year of explosive price growth, you sell then, you don't want to be the one bag holding. His game doesn't lend itself to being a 2, he needs to dominate the ball. He wouldn't be starting for any of the remaining playoff teams because of that too.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#278 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:38 pm

nedleeds wrote:

0-3 vs. sixers
0-2 vs. nuggets
0-3 vs. heat
0-3 vs. nets

That's why I ask, would you be surprised if we were under .500 next season. My answer is, no, I wouldn't. Now, maybe we make some moves this off season. But as things stand now, meh.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#279 » by Marty McFly » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:40 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:We need to move on from Randle, all that max talk died down quick.

agreed. this has always been a problem with the knicks. they've never be been pragmatic enough to make the savviest basketball decisions they could make. This **** goes all the way back to not acquiring Kareem and Julius Irving. we didn't cut bait with Melo when we needed to in order to develop KP sooner and see what we had, and then we traded KP when his value was below peak (though I will admit I was against trading him at all. I won't lie about that.)

Yes Julius is still young, but Julius is about to get paid. Paying a Robin franchise cornerstone money when you don't even have a Batman on the roster, is a disaster waiting to happen especially when you have another Robin (RJ) on a rookie scale contract.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#280 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:46 pm

Marty McFly wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:We need to move on from Randle, all that max talk died down quick.

agreed. this has always been a problem with the knicks. they've never be been pragmatic enough to make the savviest basketball decisions they could make. This **** goes all the way back to not acquiring Kareem and Julius Irving. we didn't cut bait with Melo when we needed to in order to develop KP sooner and see what we had, and then we traded KP when his value was below peak (though I will admit I was against trading him at all. I won't lie about that.)

Yes Julius is still young, but Julius is about to get paid. Paying a Robin franchise cornerstone money when you don't even have a Batman on the roster, is a disaster waiting to happen especially when you have another Robin (RJ) on a rookie scale contract.

If we had someone like Jerry West he would have traded him at the deadline, regardless of what the numbers or record was, because he would understand that style isn't conducive to building a winner and paying him would be a huge mistake.

I don't like all the connections our coaching staff / front office has to him, so we'll probably lock him up and be a middle of the road team until the contract runs out.

Return to New York Knicks