ImageImageImageImageImage

How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks

Moderators: King of Canada, Thugger HBC, NoLayupRule, Jeff Van Gully, Deeeez Knicks, GONYK, Capn'O, mpharris36, mrpoetryNmotion, j4remi, K-DOT

User avatar
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 93,863
And1: 20,799
Joined: Jan 07, 2002
Location: In front of the computer, where else?
       

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#101 » by moocow007 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:59 pm

KnixtapeH20 wrote:Watch RJ grow taller this off season and put on even more muscle and straight body **** next season


He's going to turn into Thaddeus Young? :D
User avatar
robillionaire
RealGM
Posts: 20,016
And1: 23,381
Joined: Jul 12, 2015
Location: Asheville
         

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#102 » by robillionaire » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:14 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
One of the many problems is that, and this was said already, we have not been able to move up in the lotto. This year we actually got "lucky" to be 19 and 21, we could have been 20 and 24. All those kicks at the lotta can, we never moved up, heck we were never in the top 3. The last time we had the A winning combination of pingpong balls was the year the Bulls drafted LaMarcus Alderidge @2 and traded him to Portland for Tyrus Thomas.

We have pretty good options, we are actually in a better situation than the Nets were pre-KD/Kyrie/Harden.

The problem is we need a KD/Kyrie who want to come here. Really we need a KD because Kyrie didn't do anything special at all for Boston.


I’m gonna nitpick on this, we did have our lotto number selected for the 3rd pick 2 years ago, and despite the optics of falling back from 1st to 3rd that was actually a lucky outcome. Our greatest odds by a wide margin were to pick 5th. It didn’t seem lucky but it kinda is when you consider the actual odds of the new lotto system. I know we would have preferred top 2 but there was only a 27.4% chance of that. The worst team in the NBA only has a 40% chance of a top 3 pick and 60% chance of picking 4-5. And the average is 3.7. So 3 was still slightly above what a worst team in the nba should expect with new odds

So we didn't get as unlucky as we could have. Although we had the luck that the NBA changed the friggen rule once we had a team committed to a rebuild. The two top dogs in that draft both look like all-stars, super-stars.
Other teams move up. We don't.


Sure, I agree. But you still have people who want to tank despite the only guarantee, and in fact the BEST odds, being the 5th pick in the draft no matter how bad we are.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
Posts: 23,500
And1: 3,271
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: Kurt Rhombus is managing the defense...
       

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#103 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:04 pm

robillionaire wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
I’m gonna nitpick on this, we did have our lotto number selected for the 3rd pick 2 years ago, and despite the optics of falling back from 1st to 3rd that was actually a lucky outcome. Our greatest odds by a wide margin were to pick 5th. It didn’t seem lucky but it kinda is when you consider the actual odds of the new lotto system. I know we would have preferred top 2 but there was only a 27.4% chance of that. The worst team in the NBA only has a 40% chance of a top 3 pick and 60% chance of picking 4-5. And the average is 3.7. So 3 was still slightly above what a worst team in the nba should expect with new odds

So we didn't get as unlucky as we could have. Although we had the luck that the NBA changed the friggen rule once we had a team committed to a rebuild. The two top dogs in that draft both look like all-stars, super-stars.
Other teams move up. We don't.


Sure, I agree. But you still have people who want to tank despite the only guarantee, and in fact the BEST odds, being the 5th pick in the draft no matter how bad we are.


The argument there is that every draft is a dice roll and you gotta pay to play. I am not of the tanking ilk at this point because our KD-Thabo-Westbrook-Harden-Ibaka became Knox-Frank-DSJ-RJ-Mitch We got MAYBE two that have panned out and now its the START of pay-day season. Really our deadline is before RJ extension (unless we move Randle), but if we extend Mitch and Randle we are going to have slim margins.

We are probably best served treadmilling with cap flexibility for when the next duo-trio is looking to move. The problem there is that the play is that the players pick the team, then pick the coach, then tell the GM how to dress, what he can eat, and what type of collar he will get to wear.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
User avatar
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
Posts: 11,743
And1: 10,552
Joined: Sep 13, 2017

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#104 » by TheGreenArrow » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:14 pm

Wtf can we please lock this thread??!!!

Nobody cares about the New Jersey nets!!!!!
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
BKlutch
RealGM
Posts: 12,393
And1: 8,607
Joined: Jan 11, 2015
Location: Jamaica, NY
     

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#105 » by BKlutch » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:05 pm

snadler wrote:This is time for your daily reminder, the knicks are in one of the best situations in the entire league, coming off a 4th seed, lowest payroll, up 70 million in cap space, way too many draft picks, coach of the year. this doom and gloom from past knicks misery is getting boring and annoying..if you can't see that the knicks are on the right path then you are just being miserable and complaining for the sake of complaining

Shhhh.... some folks can only deal with the uncertainty and anxiety about next year by doing the doom and gloom thing.

In years gone by, doctors liked to tell people the worst possbile outcome, under the assumption that if the patient should actually survive, their joy over not having died would help them to forgive the doc for painting such a bleak picture of their condition. This was called "Hanging the crepe."

Of course, nowadays if you see your doctor for a cold and he tells you, well, "A cough could be a sign of cancer so you're probably going to die," you'd probably run as fast as you could the the doctor who says, 'Here are the 200 reasons why you'll feel better in 7-10 days. It's only a cold."

When it comes to the Knicks, however, it seems many want the doom and gloom. So here's my contribution:

Although Thibs won COY for coaching the Knicks to twice their expected number of wins, he didn't pull Payton soon enough, half of us feel Quick should have had more playing time, some feel it was wrong to win more with DRose, and he overused Randle, so atually, Thibs is so much worse than the coaches who made us win so much less. Maybe he's the only coach in the NBA, or the whole of sports, who wasn't perfect. Fire him now! Hire Nate Bjorkgren while he's still available!
.
.
__________________________
In 1 year: From 21 to 41!
User avatar
Fury
Knicks Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
Posts: 20,780
And1: 11,300
Joined: Mar 07, 2007
       

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#106 » by Fury » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:09 pm

Guesstimate how many people will be at The Canyon of Heroes if the Nets win the title.
User avatar
bearadonisdna
RealGM
Posts: 13,643
And1: 2,549
Joined: Jul 07, 2012

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#107 » by bearadonisdna » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:34 pm

Their fan will have bragging rights.
Jay10
RealGM
Posts: 33,483
And1: 8,406
Joined: Feb 01, 2010
Location: New York

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#108 » by Jay10 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:34 pm

The league will make sure that their first home game to get their championship rings and raise their banner happens against the Knicks, because the league loves to use the storyline angle every chance they get.
User avatar
BugginOut
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,745
And1: 5,584
Joined: May 25, 2014
   

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#109 » by BugginOut » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:03 am

Giannis is a DPOY and they don’t have him on KD in the clutch. Embarrassing
User avatar
Stannis
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,267
And1: 5,938
Joined: Dec 05, 2011
Location: United States of Space
       

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#110 » by Stannis » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:03 am

Dolan would probably buy the Nets
I believe he wasn't educated on the situation. Many people could have been harmed not only financially, physically, emotionally, spiritually. We do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative that comes with that

- LBJ on Morey + Hong Kong
WargamesX
Analyst
Posts: 3,003
And1: 1,741
Joined: Apr 10, 2017
   

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#111 » by WargamesX » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:44 am

bearadonisdna wrote:Their fan will have bragging rights.

Their fans already have bragging rights.... trust me I hear it every time I talk to them. :nonono: That week before the playoffs was the only time they shut up. Plus that picture of deBlasio wearing their Jersey had them all embarrassed, ducking texts.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
User avatar
bearadonisdna
RealGM
Posts: 13,643
And1: 2,549
Joined: Jul 07, 2012

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#112 » by bearadonisdna » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:27 am

WargamesX wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:Their fan will have bragging rights.

Their fans already have bragging rights.... trust me I hear it every time I talk to them. :nonono: That week before the playoffs was the only time they shut up. Plus that picture of deBlasio wearing their Jersey had them all embarrassed, ducking texts.


:lol: nice.
Lol but I was just joking acting like they only had 1 fan.
Like how they have a little fan base .
WargamesX
Analyst
Posts: 3,003
And1: 1,741
Joined: Apr 10, 2017
   

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#113 » by WargamesX » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:33 am

bearadonisdna wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:Their fan will have bragging rights.

Their fans already have bragging rights.... trust me I hear it every time I talk to them. :nonono: That week before the playoffs was the only time they shut up. Plus that picture of deBlasio wearing their Jersey had them all embarrassed, ducking texts.


:lol: nice.
Lol but I was just joking acting like they only had 1 fan.
Like how they have a little fan base .

It’s a lot smaller than the Knicks fan base and they are mostly Knicks haters or are fans of Beyoncé and Jay-Z.

It’s a strange demographic
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
User avatar
Marty McFly
RealGM
Posts: 24,298
And1: 6,746
Joined: Sep 15, 2009
     

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#114 » by Marty McFly » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:34 am

BugginOut wrote:Giannis is a DPOY and they don’t have him on KD in the clutch. Embarrassing

KD busted his ass last game.
User avatar
Little Italia
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,007
And1: 762
Joined: Jun 30, 2008
Location: Your house, rent free.
     

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#115 » by Little Italia » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:33 am

Fury wrote:Guesstimate how many people will be at The Canyon of Heroes if the Nets win the title.


At least a million
Image

"New York Knicks will never win a championship with James Dolan at the helm. Off with his head!!"




Comfortably numb Knick fans[/u][/i]
User avatar
KnixtapeH20
Rookie
Posts: 1,169
And1: 1,365
Joined: Feb 08, 2021
     

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#116 » by KnixtapeH20 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:43 am

Fury wrote:Guesstimate how many people will be at The Canyon of Heroes if the Nets win the title.

Can they even fill a high school gymnasium?
**** the nets... Fake ass NY :nonono:
Lord Commander
Head Coach
Posts: 6,596
And1: 1,074
Joined: Nov 23, 2005
     

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#117 » by Lord Commander » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:00 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
seren wrote:We won’t know this year unless Harden comes back


Nets will win it this year.

The league has achieved the mediocre parity it has long sought and the Nets are better than all the remaining playoff teams, who all have issues/injuries.

The playoffs right now is playing out the string, unless KD's achilles explodes again, god willing.


:pray: :pray: :pray:
WargamesX
Analyst
Posts: 3,003
And1: 1,741
Joined: Apr 10, 2017
   

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#118 » by WargamesX » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:15 pm

Little Italia wrote:
Fury wrote:Guesstimate how many people will be at The Canyon of Heroes if the Nets win the title.


At least a million

Normal times yes, but covid is going to affect those numbers, hell the city might try and do a boat parade or not even do a parade. It’s not required
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
nykballa2k4
RealGM
Posts: 23,500
And1: 3,271
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: Kurt Rhombus is managing the defense...
       

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#119 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:54 pm

ENYK wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:I still don't get the "RJ is nothing but a 3-D guy, and will never be anything but a 3-D guy"

He scored 18 a game and only took 4 threes a game. Most of his offense came from things other than spotting up from 3

His Iso and PnR game were both pretty bad compared to the rest of the league (around 36th percentile each), but both were improved from last year, and show he has more than just 3-D potential. I fail to see how it's a bad thing that we have a wing who can shoot with a developing on-ball game. If it were the other way around, these same posters would be bemoaning the fact that RJ would never be able to work with another star, because he has no off-ball game

Some people just need to feel smarter than everyone else by being pessimistic all the time I guess.

Thats what I'm saying b he improved across the board when so many ppl wanted to write him off. I knew just by how this kid was raised and who he was brought up around that he was built for this. U can tell by his grown man body, his maturity, how he carries himself. He's not flashy, he's not a look at me guy. I liken him to Eli Manning in a sense. Both thrive in adversity and showcase that cold blooded assassin gene.

RJ still has a lot to prove and he knows it, relishes it. He even said himself "I'm 20 years old" the league better watch out next season he's going OFF. Yall can quote this, save it w.e u do


We'll see, I don't really buy it.

I think if IQ gets more minutes next season he'll surpass RJ. He has all the tools to be a much better offensive player, particularly in today's NBA.

IQ is a small 2 guard playing 19 mins a game with a 15.84 PER, only 41% of his shots are assisted, he creates offense.

But Thibs is a dinosaur and probably wants to re-sign rose and bring in another 30 something year old guard, so who knows if we get to see what IQ can become.

Thibs has a habit of playing guys like IQ. John Lucas III, Nate both thrived under him in Chicago in their "small" roles.

IMO I don't know if RJ is going to be Pierce, but he does penetrate on occasion which takes him off the Danny-Green train.
Jimmy Butler is a complete exception to every rule because of how he developed, but he is someone who came in 3-D, no dribble, no playmaking, and became what he is under this very coach. RJ has a higher ceiling that Butler at age 20. That is also the case for MOST top-15 first round g/fs in the league.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsjo02.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barrerj01.html
To me, this is a reasonable, optimistic comparison for RJ. Perhpas something to do with Woody being here half the year and a dose of ISO-RJ, but I can see him playing that type of a game.

Whether he is Peirce, JJ, Kobe, Starks, Danny Green or Lance Thomas 2.0 we are not going to find out until a few years.
What Utah has done having Wade working with DMitch seems logical. If we had a chance to hire someone like freshly unemployed Peirce, Joe Johnson etc to a player development role, that could be an opportunity.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127
Starter
Posts: 2,215
And1: 457
Joined: Oct 30, 2001
Location: NYC

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#120 » by KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:12 pm

I think it’ll have the opposite effect since Durant, Kyrie and/or Harden are in essence hired guns at this point. The way the NBA super teams and contracts are set up, in a year the Nets can have 0 superstars on their team. Lebron won with Cleveland and then bolted.

What the Knicks want is sustained success. Similar to the Spurs or more recently Warriors or 76ers. That’s the whole point of the rebuild. Build assets with young talent and draft picks to set yourself up for a decade. So as a Knicks fan I say good luck Brooklyn and they better win now because one year from now everything can change and no one will care about Brooklyn again.

Return to New York Knicks