ImageImageImageImageImage

How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks

Moderators: King of Canada, Thugger HBC, NoLayupRule, Jeff Van Gully, Deeeez Knicks, GONYK, Capn'O, mpharris36, mrpoetryNmotion, j4remi, K-DOT

seren
RealGM
Posts: 23,161
And1: 3,106
Joined: Jul 21, 2002

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#21 » by seren » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:41 pm

I genuinely supported the Nets in the finals when they had Kidd/RJ/Kmart. Just don’t have the same interest for this group. Nothing against individual players. I appreciate their game. I just hated how they bulldozed over people’s homes via eminent domain, lying about affordable housing and essentially gifting prime real estate to the owners of that franchise. Not that Knicks are not benefiting from our tax dollars dearly.
User avatar
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 93,863
And1: 20,799
Joined: Jan 07, 2002
Location: In front of the computer, where else?
       

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#22 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:49 pm

The Nets are an (yet another) example of why who runs your front office matters more than anything else. The Knicks? Here's who they've had "running" their front office for the past 22 years (which also coincides to when the Knicks started being a laughing stock):

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

You know it's bad when the GM that has led the Knicks to the most playoff appearances during the past 22 years (Glen Grunwald) was the same GM that traded a whole bunch of expirings and 3 draft picks FOR Andrea Bargnani.
snadler
Analyst
Posts: 3,507
And1: 3,621
Joined: Feb 16, 2009

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#23 » by snadler » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:51 pm

This is time for your daily reminder, the knicks are in one of the best situations in the entire league, coming off a 4th seed, lowest payroll, up 70 million in cap space, way too many draft picks, coach of the year. this doom and gloom from past knicks misery is getting boring and annoying..if you can't see that the knicks are on the right path then you are just being miserable and complaining for the sake of complaining
User avatar
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 93,863
And1: 20,799
Joined: Jan 07, 2002
Location: In front of the computer, where else?
       

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#24 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:55 pm

snadler wrote:This is time for your daily reminder, the knicks are in one of the best situations in the entire league, coming off a 4th seed, lowest payroll, up 70 million in cap space, way too many draft picks, coach of the year. this doom and gloom from past knicks misery is getting boring and annoying..if you can't see that the knicks are on the right path then you are just being miserable and complaining for the sake of complaining


Not to mention having a better looking front office in place than they have had since the mid 90's.
User avatar
F N 11
RealGM
Posts: 63,061
And1: 34,656
Joined: Jun 27, 2006
Location: Getting over screens with Gusto.
Contact:
 

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#25 » by F N 11 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:58 pm

Who cares, I cant even watch them without getting sick.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
ENYK
Junior
Posts: 368
And1: 235
Joined: May 29, 2021
 

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#26 » by ENYK » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:58 pm

seren wrote:I genuinely supported the Nets in the finals when they had Kidd/RJ/Kmart. Just don’t have the same interest for this group. Nothing against individual players. I appreciate their game. I just hated how they bulldozed over people’s homes via eminent domain, lying about affordable housing and essentially gifting prime real estate to the owners of that franchise. Not that Knicks are not benefiting from our tax dollars dearly.


Yep, they're Team Gentrification... They can play Hypnotize and use that Coogi pattern all they want, nothing genuinely Brooklyn about that organization.
louisorr
Junior
Posts: 405
And1: 334
Joined: May 09, 2009

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#27 » by louisorr » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:59 pm

whether its the heat, warriors or nets it's boring watching a league where you know who's winning the title before the first game of the season tips. hoping for a blown achilles so the games might be competitive. c'mon now.
User avatar
Futureisnow
Head Coach
Posts: 6,973
And1: 1,191
Joined: Oct 28, 2009
Location: Queens, NY
     

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#28 » by Futureisnow » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:01 pm

If their big 3 were all in their mid-20's it could have an impact. Then you'd be talking about a potential Bulls type of dynasty where it's a decade of winning. But those guys are about to hit 30 or are already over 30 and with only one more year on their contract before each of them has a player option. I wouldn't put it past all three of them re-upping to retire in BK, but I also wouldn't be surprised if each went their separate way.
User avatar
sol537
General Manager
Posts: 9,892
And1: 1,874
Joined: Nov 07, 2001

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#29 » by sol537 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:07 pm

I'm not against a slow and steady approach.

1) S&T for Lonzo on a reasonable deal
2) Pick-up Frank's QO or sign him to a 1+1 team option deal
3) Draft two-way high IQ guys like Jared Butler and Juzang to bolster the bench and learn from the vets
4) Retain Rose, Taj, Noel on 1-year deals.

Lonzo / Rose / Draftee
RJ / IQ / Luca
Frank / Draftee
Randle / Obi
Mitch / Noel / Taj

We infuse the starting line-up with Mitch, Lonzo, and Frank. That gives Randle three near 40% shooters he can pass to (Frank, Lonzo, and RJ) and it gives Randle a true lob thread who has good hands (Mitch). It also bolsters our defense by adding three defensive upgrades in Mitch, Frank, and Lonzo so Thibs can set the tone early like we know he likes to do. I'm still a believer in Frank in a defined role (defensive stopper & 40% 3-point valve). Frank has also more passing and drive and kick potential than Reggie ever did. It's time to pass the torch. We should once again be a "solid" team with a ton of youth we can continue to develop while retaining cap flexibility to make a big splash the following year. I've always wanted to build a defensive team that can really lock most teams down and I think the above squad can do just that while still retaining a lethal bench mob that helps us win games.

My 2 cents.
Jimmit79
Starter
Posts: 2,377
And1: 1,267
Joined: Mar 22, 2016
     

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#30 » by Jimmit79 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:24 pm

moocow007 wrote:The Nets are an (yet another) example of why who runs your front office matters more than anything else. The Knicks? Here's who they've had "running" their front office for the past 22 years (which also coincides to when the Knicks started being a laughing stock):

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

You know it's bad when the GM that has led the Knicks to the most playoff appearances during the past 22 years (Glen Grunwald) was the same GM that traded a whole bunch of expirings and 3 draft picks FOR Andrea Bargnani.
That was CAA and Dolan this has been beaten to death already. Grunwald wanted to get lamarcus but Dolan told him to get barf instead.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
Jimmit79
Starter
Posts: 2,377
And1: 1,267
Joined: Mar 22, 2016
     

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#31 » by Jimmit79 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:26 pm

moocow007 wrote:
snadler wrote:This is time for your daily reminder, the knicks are in one of the best situations in the entire league, coming off a 4th seed, lowest payroll, up 70 million in cap space, way too many draft picks, coach of the year. this doom and gloom from past knicks misery is getting boring and annoying..if you can't see that the knicks are on the right path then you are just being miserable and complaining for the sake of complaining


Not to mention having a better looking front office in place than they have had since the mid 90's.
The same FO that wanted to roll with Elf and Dsjr as there playmakers and pls don't tell me they would have gotten rose even if Thibs didn't beg.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
B8RcDeMktfxC
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,757
And1: 2,612
Joined: Nov 23, 2018
Location: C'MON, COME GET THE FUKKIN BALL

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#32 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:26 pm

sol537 wrote:I'm not against a slow and steady approach.

1) S&T for Lonzo on a reasonable deal
2) Pick-up Frank's QO or sign him to a 1+1 team option deal
3) Draft two-way high IQ guys like Jared Butler and Juzang to bolster the bench and learn from the vets
4) Retain Rose, Taj, Noel on 1-year deals.

Lonzo / Rose / Draftee
RJ / IQ / Luca
Frank / Draftee
Randle / Obi
Mitch / Noel / Taj

We infuse the starting line-up with Mitch, Lonzo, and Frank. That gives Randle three near 40% shooters he can pass to (Frank, Lonzo, and RJ) and it gives Randle a true lob thread who has good hands (Mitch). It also bolsters our defense by adding three defensive upgrades in Mitch, Frank, and Lonzo so Thibs can set the tone early like we know he likes to do. I'm still a believer in Frank in a defined role (defensive stopper & 40% 3-point valve). Frank has also more passing and drive and kick potential than Reggie ever did. It's time to pass the torch. We should once again be a "solid" team with a ton of youth we can continue to develop while retaining cap flexibility to make a big splash the following year. I've always wanted to build a defensive team that can really lock most teams down and I think the above squad can do just that while still retaining a lethal bench mob that helps us win games.

My 2 cents.

I don't hate the plan per se, but I don't see any possible world at all in which in the normal course of events Thibs gives Frank playing time, let alone starts him.

If the squad was as you suggest (and even having 2 draftees on the roster is a stretch), Thibs would have them arranged as

Lonzo / Rose / Draftee
Luca / IQ / Frank
RJ / Vet-min / Draftee
Randle / Obi / Vet-min
Mitch / Noel / Taj
nykballa2k4
RealGM
Posts: 23,500
And1: 3,271
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: Kurt Rhombus is managing the defense...
       

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#33 » by nykballa2k4 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:29 pm

snadler wrote:Sure anything can happen, but after last night even without Harden it seems pretty clear that the Nets are winning the championship, with that being said, I wonder how the Nets winning a ring will change the knicks plans, will their be a greater sense of urgency to make a splash, will it create another super team knowing that will be the only way to compete with the nets moving forward.


IMO Knicks specifically, not much. The league as a whole...

If you recall when Nash was first hired as HC Kyries response was basically that "coaches don't matter so who cares" KD brought in Nash to be the puppet coach. D'Antoni was brought in to help Steve with the ropes as a HC for the rest of the team. The whole dang team has played a weeks worth of ball together before the playoffs. Olympic rosters and all-star teams have had comparable preparation.

Nets winning a title this year means
GM's/drafting does not really matter aside from clearing cap space at the right times
Coaches don't matter
Team-building does not matter
Character does not matter
Regular season games don't matter
Home court doesn't matter

Top 7 players in the league RUN THE LEAGUE, make all the rules, nothing anyone can do about it.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
User avatar
sol537
General Manager
Posts: 9,892
And1: 1,874
Joined: Nov 07, 2001

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#34 » by sol537 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:29 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
sol537 wrote:I'm not against a slow and steady approach.

1) S&T for Lonzo on a reasonable deal
2) Pick-up Frank's QO or sign him to a 1+1 team option deal
3) Draft two-way high IQ guys like Jared Butler and Juzang to bolster the bench and learn from the vets
4) Retain Rose, Taj, Noel on 1-year deals.

Lonzo / Rose / Draftee
RJ / IQ / Luca
Frank / Draftee
Randle / Obi
Mitch / Noel / Taj

We infuse the starting line-up with Mitch, Lonzo, and Frank. That gives Randle three near 40% shooters he can pass to (Frank, Lonzo, and RJ) and it gives Randle a true lob thread who has good hands (Mitch). It also bolsters our defense by adding three defensive upgrades in Mitch, Frank, and Lonzo so Thibs can set the tone early like we know he likes to do. I'm still a believer in Frank in a defined role (defensive stopper & 40% 3-point valve). Frank has also more passing and drive and kick potential than Reggie ever did. It's time to pass the torch. We should once again be a "solid" team with a ton of youth we can continue to develop while retaining cap flexibility to make a big splash the following year. I've always wanted to build a defensive team that can really lock most teams down and I think the above squad can do just that while still retaining a lethal bench mob that helps us win games.

My 2 cents.

I don't hate the plan per se, but I don't see any possible world at all in which in the normal course of events Thibs gives Frank playing time, let alone starts him.

If the squad was as you suggest (and even having 2 draftees on the roster is a stretch), Thibs would have them arranged as

Lonzo / Rose / Draftee
Luca / IQ / Frank
RJ / Vet-min / Draftee
Randle / Obi / Vet-min
Mitch / Noel / Taj


You're probably right but hopefully Frank can take over Bullock's minutes.
Jimmit79
Starter
Posts: 2,377
And1: 1,267
Joined: Mar 22, 2016
     

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#35 » by Jimmit79 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:32 pm

Kyrie and Steve Mills are the reason that nets winning championship with lowest fanbase will do nothing for NBA or NY fans. Back in 2019 Kyrie chickend out of playing at MSG leaving KD with begging Knicks to make something happen of course we all know who was running the Knicks then lmao that's right Steve **** Mills who can never make anything happen except cluster ****. Steve Mills dumped KP for cap space in a rush then few months later told KD to take a hike cause getting help for KD was above his skill set.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Gravy
Analyst
Posts: 3,315
And1: 3,365
Joined: Jun 25, 2015
     

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#36 » by Gravy » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:32 pm

Well some Knicks arrogance about stars always preferring us may get chipped away.. :-? The Nets operate like small market franchise that is in the biggest city. Some stars would prefer that than to be constantly under the microscope of Knicks media and fans.

The Nets strategy has been to trade away all their assets for a big 3 to win now. It did not work with Deron, Pierce and Garnett but its working now. Do the Knicks want to follow that plan too?
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 63,459
And1: 58,169
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: Let's Stop and Get A Hot Dog
 

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#37 » by Capn'O » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:32 pm

The Nets obviously gain some young local fans and national fans. The Knicks still have their base. The team needs to keep its head down and keep building, creating options for stars to come now and then. Consistent, competent management will ultimately lead to good things coming our way, as Sean Marks did in BK. Just don't go full stupid and we'll get there without much damage to the franchise. We're in the best spot we've been in for years.
BAF Clippers
PG: SGA Conley Chiozza
SG: KCP Melton Bacon
SF: Middleton THT
PF: DFS Bjelica Toliver
C: Vuc Nurkic Holmes

RIP Mags :beer:
"Greatness wasn't worth anything if you couldn't share it."-Kobe
User avatar
K-DOT
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 16,517
And1: 26,593
Joined: Nov 25, 2016
Location: Dante's Purgatory, 2nd Terrace
       

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#38 » by K-DOT » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:32 pm

snadler wrote:This is time for your daily reminder, the knicks are in one of the best situations in the entire league, coming off a 4th seed, lowest payroll, up 70 million in cap space, way too many draft picks, coach of the year. this doom and gloom from past knicks misery is getting boring and annoying..if you can't see that the knicks are on the right path then you are just being miserable and complaining for the sake of complaining
I wouldn't say one of the best situations in the league, cause we're still looking for a true first option

Which will be harder to acquire than it sounds, but of the teams that don't have one, we're probably in the best position

But we are in a better situation than a lot of the board thinks, I believe.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
BAF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Tre Jones
Killian Hayes/Avery Bradley
Keldon Johnson/Cam Johnson
Saddiq Bey/Darius Bazley
Onyeka Okongwu/Bol Bol

Check out our podcast, No Blood No Foul!:

Image
nykballa2k4
RealGM
Posts: 23,500
And1: 3,271
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: Kurt Rhombus is managing the defense...
       

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#39 » by nykballa2k4 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:35 pm

sol537 wrote:I'm not against a slow and steady approach.

1) S&T for Lonzo on a reasonable deal
2) Pick-up Frank's QO or sign him to a 1+1 team option deal
3) Draft two-way high IQ guys like Jared Butler and Juzang to bolster the bench and learn from the vets
4) Retain Rose, Taj, Noel on 1-year deals.

Lonzo / Rose / Draftee
RJ / IQ / Luca
Frank / Draftee
Randle / Obi
Mitch / Noel / Taj

We infuse the starting line-up with Mitch, Lonzo, and Frank. That gives Randle three near 40% shooters he can pass to (Frank, Lonzo, and RJ) and it gives Randle a true lob thread who has good hands (Mitch). It also bolsters our defense by adding three defensive upgrades in Mitch, Frank, and Lonzo so Thibs can set the tone early like we know he likes to do. I'm still a believer in Frank in a defined role (defensive stopper & 40% 3-point valve). Frank has also more passing and drive and kick potential than Reggie ever did. It's time to pass the torch. We should once again be a "solid" team with a ton of youth we can continue to develop while retaining cap flexibility to make a big splash the following year. I've always wanted to build a defensive team that can really lock most teams down and I think the above squad can do just that while still retaining a lethal bench mob that helps us win games.

My 2 cents.

Sounds good to me. Just don't know what "reasonable" means.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 63,459
And1: 58,169
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: Let's Stop and Get A Hot Dog
 

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#40 » by Capn'O » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:35 pm

moocow007 wrote:You know it's bad when the GM that has led the Knicks to the most playoff appearances during the past 22 years (Glen Grunwald) was the same GM that traded a whole bunch of expirings and 3 draft picks FOR Andrea Bargnani.


Walsh was far and away the best of that group with GG second. The Dolan mandate looms over all of those execs.
BAF Clippers
PG: SGA Conley Chiozza
SG: KCP Melton Bacon
SF: Middleton THT
PF: DFS Bjelica Toliver
C: Vuc Nurkic Holmes

RIP Mags :beer:
"Greatness wasn't worth anything if you couldn't share it."-Kobe

Return to New York Knicks