ImageImageImageImageImage

If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks

Moderators: King of Canada, Thugger HBC, NoLayupRule, Jeff Van Gully, Deeeez Knicks, GONYK, Capn'O, mpharris36, mrpoetryNmotion, j4remi, K-DOT

Adelheid
Head Coach
Posts: 6,231
And1: 3,037
Joined: Jul 10, 2014
 

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#21 » by Adelheid » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:23 am

While it may be true that most of us dont give a flying **** about it, apparently James Dolan just might.

Dunno how he is going to react to it and we all know it can get fugly when that time comes.
User avatar
KnixtapeH20
Rookie
Posts: 1,169
And1: 1,365
Joined: Feb 08, 2021
     

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#22 » by KnixtapeH20 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:24 am

NewKnicks wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:NewKnicks u in ur 20s fam?


30s

Ok my fault, got a young vibe n the name threw me

I'll be turning 36 few months
**** the nets... Fake ass NY :nonono:
User avatar
robillionaire
RealGM
Posts: 20,013
And1: 23,380
Joined: Jul 12, 2015
Location: Asheville
         

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#23 » by robillionaire » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:26 am

NewKnicks wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
That's a good point. I'm sure whatever moves the Knicks make in the offseason will automatically be classified as an 'answer' to the Nets winning. We will probably see that everywhere next year.

And ESPN is going to run with this storyline.. They love drama like this, and we'll be seeing it on segments on a ton of their shows. 'How will the Knicks compete with Nets success?' 'Is NY becoming a Nets town?' 'What will the Knicks do to save them from losing the city'?

We are going to see a lot of that sh*t moving forward.


I mean they have already been running with this storyline for nearly 2 years now.

I'll say this though, had the nets built up their own team of gritty likable players and won the championship, that actually might have had New York celebrating them. I don't think throwing together a super team with unlikable divas trying to avoid any adversity and a bunch of ring chasers is going to win over the heart of the city, even if they do win. it just seems fake


I agree, it would be much easier to appreciate them if they did it the right way. I don't like any of their 'big 3'. Never did. I appreciate their basketball skills, but each one of them is annoying in their own right. Never did like any of them.

It totally seems fake. That's a great way to put it. It really shouldn't even been allowed. It sucks, but they turned the NBA into a circus now. Basically whichever teams certain players conspire to go to, those teams are the new champs for several years. And I don't see it changing either. The NBA likes this current formula, because they sell individual players these days, not teams. I wish they would stop all this nonsense, but now that the rabbit is out of the hat, it can't be stuffed back in. This is the NBA now.


I never even disliked the Nets until KD and the gang got there and spit on the knicks while doing it. I actually have a Nets t-shirt buried in a dresser drawer somewhere that I've had for years. I had a soft spot for the team. I even lived in downtown Brooklyn for a couple years. I feel like I would be a person that they assume would finally abandon the misery of being a Knicks fan and switch to the Nets, and it only made me hate that stinkin' team. They can win the championship and the Knicks could go 0-82 and it wouldn't make me root for them. I'd sooner quit watching the NBA
NewKnicks
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,762
And1: 749
Joined: Feb 03, 2021

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#24 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:29 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:NewKnicks u in ur 20s fam?


30s

Ok my fault, got a young vibe n the name threw me

I'll be turning 36 few months


No worries. I get that a lot online and in person too. I guess I convey youth somehow. :lol:

I'm 34. I wish I was still in my 20s.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,762
And1: 749
Joined: Feb 03, 2021

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#25 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:36 am

Adelheid wrote:While it may be true that most of us dont give a flying **** about it, apparently James Dolan just might.

Dunno how he is going to react to it and we all know ugly it can get when that time comes.


That's really my whole point. I'm scared thinking about how he might react. He's used to having his cake and eating it too in NYC. He doesn't give a flying f*ck about the fans. He knows how loyal Knicks fans are, and that we will keep showing up regardless of the product he puts on the court.

So, this could be really good for us, or really bad. I'm guessing we're in for quite a ride coming up soon. Hopefully he's truly given all basketball responsibilities to the people he hired under him, but it's Dolan. In the end he can still do whatever the f*ck he wants. To think he's completely hands-off would probably be a naive take.

I think all the posters hoping for a 'slow build' (I was one of them for awhile) are going to be sorely disappointed soon enough.
TruthBeTold
Rookie
Posts: 1,215
And1: 373
Joined: Jul 06, 2015
     

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#26 » by TruthBeTold » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:40 am

I just posted this in a similar thread. I think it's still good enough for this thread without edit.

If the Nets win one title, I don't think it will have that big of an impact because every NYC sports fan knows the Nets are better than the Knicks with a serious chance of winning a championship. However, I feel 2 title win would make them the Yankees of basketball in NYC, especially if the Knicks don't make the playoffs next season. I feel NYC media will try to speed up the process. People like to jump on the bandwagon, so you are going to see a lot more teens and younger fans claiming Nets in the heart of Manhattan, and especially in Brooklyn. Secretly, I feel this is a big fear for some knicks fans.

I keep saying the Knicks need star players. I know that is difficult to achieve because most teams are not willing to trade them. The Knicks need to find players with star POTENTIAL. They need to find players like Zach LaVine before they make their first all-star game. The players that fans keep saying should have made the all-star team this season and last season. :nod: 8-)
User avatar
robillionaire
RealGM
Posts: 20,013
And1: 23,380
Joined: Jul 12, 2015
Location: Asheville
         

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#27 » by robillionaire » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:43 am

NewKnicks wrote:
Adelheid wrote:While it may be true that most of us dont give a flying **** about it, apparently James Dolan just might.

Dunno how he is going to react to it and we all know ugly it can get when that time comes.


That's really my whole point. I'm scared thinking about he might react. He's used to having his cake and eating it too in NYC. He doesn't give a flying f*ck about the fans. He knows how loyal Knicks fans are, and that we will keep showing up regardless of the product he puts on the court.

So, this could be really good for us, or really bad. I'm guessing we're in for quite a ride coming up soon. Hopefully he's truly given all basketball responsibilities to the people he hired under him, but it's Dolan. In the end he can still do whatever the f*ck he wants. To think he's completely hands-off would probably be a naive take.

I think all the posters hoping for a 'slow build' (I was one of them for awhile) are going to be sorely disappointed soon enough.


his move 2 years ago (after not getting KD and Kyrie to have them go to the nets) was to sign Randle and a bunch of 1 year deals. his move last year, when they probably could have overpaid for someone like Gordon Hayward, was to kick the can down the road with 1 year deals. his move at the trade deadline (after the nets had also acquired harden) with easy bait like Drummond available, was to do nothing.

so if he's planning on making a drastic reaction let's just say he's been playing it pretty cool so far

the team made the playoffs as the 4th seed. that small taste of success might be enough for him to lay off and trust rose and company to keep things going in the right direction.

now if the team starts losing again, and badly missing the playoffs, that's when I might start getting concerned about dolan doing something crazy
NewKnicks
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,762
And1: 749
Joined: Feb 03, 2021

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#28 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:45 am

robillionaire wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
I mean they have already been running with this storyline for nearly 2 years now.

I'll say this though, had the nets built up their own team of gritty likable players and won the championship, that actually might have had New York celebrating them. I don't think throwing together a super team with unlikable divas trying to avoid any adversity and a bunch of ring chasers is going to win over the heart of the city, even if they do win. it just seems fake


I agree, it would be much easier to appreciate them if they did it the right way. I don't like any of their 'big 3'. Never did. I appreciate their basketball skills, but each one of them is annoying in their own right. Never did like any of them.

It totally seems fake. That's a great way to put it. It really shouldn't even been allowed. It sucks, but they turned the NBA into a circus now. Basically whichever teams certain players conspire to go to, those teams are the new champs for several years. And I don't see it changing either. The NBA likes this current formula, because they sell individual players these days, not teams. I wish they would stop all this nonsense, but now that the rabbit is out of the hat, it can't be stuffed back in. This is the NBA now.


I never even disliked the Nets until KD and the gang got there and spit on the knicks while doing it. I actually have a Nets t-shirt buried in a dresser drawer somewhere that I've had for years. I had a soft spot for the team. I even lived in downtown Brooklyn for a couple years. I feel like I would be a person that they assume would finally abandon the misery of being a Knicks fan and switch to the Nets, and it only made me hate that stinkin' team. They can win the championship and the Knicks could go 0-82 and it wouldn't make me root for them. I'd sooner quit watching the NBA


Same. The whole Nets thing feels empty. It's pathetic.

I will watch, because I love the NBA in general, but I'll be rooting for every team they play against. Problem is, I just don't see anyone taking them out. Just being real. I actually thought the Bucks had a shot, but after them losing by 50 with Harden being out, I kind of gave up on that happening. It's still not over, Milwaukee could hold serve at home. That's the best we can hope for at the moment. After that, it's Philly most likely. I guess with Philly's D they have a puncher's chance, but BKN will be heavily favored. Maybe Kawhi could take them out? I don't know. I'm not seeing it when I break down matchups against them. If LeFlop would have made it, I would have had a little more hope, because the NBA loves him so much. They would love nothing more than for LBJ to win another championship. But now that he's gone, I'm sure the NBA is also on the Nets side, because they can market those three players even more. The NBA hates teams like Utah, that don't have enough marketable players to sell internationally.
User avatar
robillionaire
RealGM
Posts: 20,013
And1: 23,380
Joined: Jul 12, 2015
Location: Asheville
         

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#29 » by robillionaire » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:49 am

NewKnicks wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
I agree, it would be much easier to appreciate them if they did it the right way. I don't like any of their 'big 3'. Never did. I appreciate their basketball skills, but each one of them is annoying in their own right. Never did like any of them.

It totally seems fake. That's a great way to put it. It really shouldn't even been allowed. It sucks, but they turned the NBA into a circus now. Basically whichever teams certain players conspire to go to, those teams are the new champs for several years. And I don't see it changing either. The NBA likes this current formula, because they sell individual players these days, not teams. I wish they would stop all this nonsense, but now that the rabbit is out of the hat, it can't be stuffed back in. This is the NBA now.


I never even disliked the Nets until KD and the gang got there and spit on the knicks while doing it. I actually have a Nets t-shirt buried in a dresser drawer somewhere that I've had for years. I had a soft spot for the team. I even lived in downtown Brooklyn for a couple years. I feel like I would be a person that they assume would finally abandon the misery of being a Knicks fan and switch to the Nets, and it only made me hate that stinkin' team. They can win the championship and the Knicks could go 0-82 and it wouldn't make me root for them. I'd sooner quit watching the NBA


Same. The whole Nets thing feels empty. It's pathetic.

I will watch, because I love the NBA in general, but I'll be rooting for every team they play against. Problem is, I just don't see anyone taking them out. Just being real. I actually thought the Bucks had a shot, but after them losing by 50 with Harden being out, I kind of gave up on that happening. It's still not over, Milwaukee could hold serve at home. That's the best we can hope for at the moment. After that, it's Philly most likely. I guess with Philly's D they have a puncher's chance, but BKN will be heavily favored. Maybe Kawhi could take them out? I don't know. I'm not seeing it when I break down matchups against them. If LeFlop would have made it, I would have had a little more hope, because the NBA loves him so much. They would love nothing more than for LBJ to win another championship. But now that he's gone, I'm sure the NBA is also on the Nets side, because they can market those three players even more. The NBA hates teams like Utah, that don't have enough marketable players to sell internationally.


Unless Durant gets injured again, they are winning. Now, that could happen. The Warriors looked even more unbeatable in 2019. Then it all blew up. I dunno, maybe it would be better to just have them win and get it over with. Just rip the band-aid off. then we can trim some of the fat on the fanbase and move forward with loyal fans.

I have a son, he's not old enough yet but one day I will take him to madison square garden to show him basketball, if he wants to go to the barclays center instead, I'll go to the knicks game and as we go our separate ways in life at the corner of 34th st and 8th ave my parting advice will be to avoid the empty subway car on the ride over there. j/k I love my boy
NewKnicks
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,762
And1: 749
Joined: Feb 03, 2021

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#30 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:58 am

TruthBeTold wrote:I just posted this in a similar thread. I think it's still good enough for this thread without edit.

If the Nets win one title, I don't think it will have that big of an impact because every NYC sports fan knows the Nets are better than the Knicks with a serious chance of winning a championship. However, I feel 2 title win would make them the Yankees of basketball in NYC, especially if the Knicks don't make the playoffs next season. I feel NYC media will try to speed up the process. People like to jump on the bandwagon, so you are going to see a lot more teens and younger fans claiming Nets in the heart of Manhattan, and especially in Brooklyn. Secretly, I feel this is a big fear for some knicks fans.

I keep saying the Knicks need star players. I know that is difficult to achieve because most teams are not willing to trade them. The Knicks need to find players with star POTENTIAL. They need to find players like Zach LaVine before they make their first all-star game. The players that fans keep saying should have made the all-star team this season and last season. :nod: 8-)


Yep. I agree. One is okay, Knicks are fine. 2 chips, there will be a shift. 3 chips, you'll see Nets gear everywhere you go. Maybe that even happens after two.

One thing is for sure.. Let's say Dolan makes some crazy move this year and it doesn't pan out. If the Nets win again next year, he'll be ready to do it all over again. So it's not like he'll just go for it once to give it a shot and then slow down. He'll be swinging for the fences time and time again to keep up with the Nets. And that is where it could be a great thing for us fans.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,762
And1: 749
Joined: Feb 03, 2021

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#31 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:12 am

robillionaire wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
Adelheid wrote:While it may be true that most of us dont give a flying **** about it, apparently James Dolan just might.

Dunno how he is going to react to it and we all know ugly it can get when that time comes.


That's really my whole point. I'm scared thinking about he might react. He's used to having his cake and eating it too in NYC. He doesn't give a flying f*ck about the fans. He knows how loyal Knicks fans are, and that we will keep showing up regardless of the product he puts on the court.

So, this could be really good for us, or really bad. I'm guessing we're in for quite a ride coming up soon. Hopefully he's truly given all basketball responsibilities to the people he hired under him, but it's Dolan. In the end he can still do whatever the f*ck he wants. To think he's completely hands-off would probably be a naive take.

I think all the posters hoping for a 'slow build' (I was one of them for awhile) are going to be sorely disappointed soon enough.


his move 2 years ago (after not getting KD and Kyrie to have them go to the nets) was to sign Randle and a bunch of 1 year deals. his move last year, when they probably could have overpaid for someone like Gordon Hayward, was to kick the can down the road with 1 year deals. his move at the trade deadline (after the nets had also acquired harden) with easy bait like Drummond available, was to do nothing.

so if he's planning on making a drastic reaction let's just say he's been playing it pretty cool so far

the team made the playoffs as the 4th seed. that small taste of success might be enough for him to lay off and trust rose and company to keep things going in the right direction.

now if the team starts losing again, and badly missing the playoffs, that's when I might start getting concerned about dolan doing something crazy


What's that saying... a leopard doesn't change his spots? You have more faith in him than I do. After 20 years of bad decisions, he's earned my trust that I can't trust him. :lol:

Even though those moves happened and he didn't react after the fact, nothing had truly happened yet. No one knew for sure how that Big 3 would work out. You had KD on the sidelines last year, so no worries about the Nets winning, and Harden wasn't there either. It's a lot different than now. A championship is a whole different animal. He's going to experience a lot more pain this time around with the media, talk around the league, even the fans.. I don't trust him to not crack under the pressure. But, that added pressure might just be what we need around here. Let's all hope at least.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,762
And1: 749
Joined: Feb 03, 2021

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#32 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:14 am

robillionaire wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
I never even disliked the Nets until KD and the gang got there and spit on the knicks while doing it. I actually have a Nets t-shirt buried in a dresser drawer somewhere that I've had for years. I had a soft spot for the team. I even lived in downtown Brooklyn for a couple years. I feel like I would be a person that they assume would finally abandon the misery of being a Knicks fan and switch to the Nets, and it only made me hate that stinkin' team. They can win the championship and the Knicks could go 0-82 and it wouldn't make me root for them. I'd sooner quit watching the NBA


Same. The whole Nets thing feels empty. It's pathetic.

I will watch, because I love the NBA in general, but I'll be rooting for every team they play against. Problem is, I just don't see anyone taking them out. Just being real. I actually thought the Bucks had a shot, but after them losing by 50 with Harden being out, I kind of gave up on that happening. It's still not over, Milwaukee could hold serve at home. That's the best we can hope for at the moment. After that, it's Philly most likely. I guess with Philly's D they have a puncher's chance, but BKN will be heavily favored. Maybe Kawhi could take them out? I don't know. I'm not seeing it when I break down matchups against them. If LeFlop would have made it, I would have had a little more hope, because the NBA loves him so much. They would love nothing more than for LBJ to win another championship. But now that he's gone, I'm sure the NBA is also on the Nets side, because they can market those three players even more. The NBA hates teams like Utah, that don't have enough marketable players to sell internationally.


Unless Durant gets injured again, they are winning. Now, that could happen. The Warriors looked even more unbeatable in 2019. Then it all blew up. I dunno, maybe it would be better to just have them win and get it over with. Just rip the band-aid off. then we can trim some of the fat on the fanbase and move forward with loyal fans.

I have a son, he's not old enough yet but one day I will take him to madison square garden to show him basketball, if he wants to go to the barclays center instead, I'll go to the knicks game and as we go our separate ways in life at the corner of 34th st and 8th ave my parting advice will be to avoid the empty subway car on the ride over there. j/k I love my boy


:lol:
User avatar
Futureisnow
Head Coach
Posts: 6,973
And1: 1,191
Joined: Oct 28, 2009
Location: Queens, NY
     

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#33 » by Futureisnow » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:59 pm

Thread title is something I'd expect to see as a segment on First Take (can almost hear Max Kellerman yelling how the pressure is on the Knicks!). There's such a strong desire for the Nets to "take over the City" or "knock the Knicks off the backpage" or "NY is a Nets town now." It won't happen anytime soon. Knicks fans don't care. There's no pressure because we don't care. 1 has nothing to do with the other. Hell, I was lucky enough to get a free ticket to Game 1 of Nets Bucks at Barclays and while I left really amazed at how easy KD and Kyrie make scoring look, I didn't walk out of there and cease being a Knicks fan.
User avatar
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 93,863
And1: 20,799
Joined: Jan 07, 2002
Location: In front of the computer, where else?
       

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#34 » by moocow007 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:12 pm

TruthBeTold wrote:I just posted this in a similar thread. I think it's still good enough for this thread without edit.

If the Nets win one title, I don't think it will have that big of an impact because every NYC sports fan knows the Nets are better than the Knicks with a serious chance of winning a championship. However, I feel 2 title win would make them the Yankees of basketball in NYC, especially if the Knicks don't make the playoffs next season. I feel NYC media will try to speed up the process. People like to jump on the bandwagon, so you are going to see a lot more teens and younger fans claiming Nets in the heart of Manhattan, and especially in Brooklyn. Secretly, I feel this is a big fear for some knicks fans.

I keep saying the Knicks need star players. I know that is difficult to achieve because most teams are not willing to trade them. The Knicks need to find players with star POTENTIAL. They need to find players like Zach LaVine before they make their first all-star game. The players that fans keep saying should have made the all-star team this season and last season. :nod: 8-)


Or they can follow the Nets model. Play well enough so that you're seen as an up and coming team, have the type of cap space, assets and willingness to spend that a team like the Nets did and be able to work behind the scenes to convince big time players that NY is the place to play now (unlike the past 20+ years). The Nets did it. The Heat did it. The Lakers constantly do it. If this was Milwaukee or Indiana I can see a problem with that approach but NY, despite all the awfulness is still a premium destination IF everything else is lined up right (like the Nets lined things up and the Heat lined things up). Top players have avoided the Knicks cause they were terrible, their front office and coaching staffs garnered no faith and there was no 'robin' type player for any of the top alpha's to depend on if they were to jump on. All of those things are different now.
TruthBeTold
Rookie
Posts: 1,215
And1: 373
Joined: Jul 06, 2015
     

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#35 » by TruthBeTold » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:08 pm

moocow007 wrote:
TruthBeTold wrote:I just posted this in a similar thread. I think it's still good enough for this thread without edit.

If the Nets win one title, I don't think it will have that big of an impact because every NYC sports fan knows the Nets are better than the Knicks with a serious chance of winning a championship. However, I feel 2 title win would make them the Yankees of basketball in NYC, especially if the Knicks don't make the playoffs next season. I feel NYC media will try to speed up the process. People like to jump on the bandwagon, so you are going to see a lot more teens and younger fans claiming Nets in the heart of Manhattan, and especially in Brooklyn. Secretly, I feel this is a big fear for some knicks fans.

I keep saying the Knicks need star players. I know that is difficult to achieve because most teams are not willing to trade them. The Knicks need to find players with star POTENTIAL. They need to find players like Zach LaVine before they make their first all-star game. The players that fans keep saying should have made the all-star team this season and last season. :nod: 8-)


Or they can follow the Nets model. Play well enough so that you're seen as an up and coming team, have the type of cap space, assets and willingness to spend that a team like the Nets did and be able to work behind the scenes to convince big time players that NY is the place to play now (unlike the past 20+ years). The Nets did it. The Heat did it. The Lakers constantly do it. If this was Milwaukee or Indiana I can see a problem with that approach but NY, despite all the awfulness is still a premium destination IF everything else is lined up right (like the Nets lined things up and the Heat lined things up). Top players have avoided the Knicks cause they were terrible, their front office and coaching staffs garnered no faith and there was no 'robin' type player for any of the top alpha's to depend on if they were to jump on. All of those things are different now.


I agree, things are starting to change for the knicks, but consistency will have to be key moving forward. They can't take a step forward and then take 2 steps back next season. The Nets did their elite player talking on the court before taking them on a date for a one night stand. :D This is why I believe the knicks have to bring in solid role players and players with star potential if they can't get a true superstar player during the offseason. As you know, these days star players are focusing on the quality of a team/court talking more than its current destination, and if the team has one good superstar, there is a chance he can help pull another star player if the team is having success. When I was talking about trading for AD before the Lakers can grab him, many Knicks fans were talking about not wanting to deplete a team full of role players and keeping all the Knicks draft picks. Well, we know how that worked out. At least the Knicks still have all their draft picks. The Knicks took a step forward by hiring Thibs; now they need to find a way to take another step forward by getting the right players.
Spree2Houston
Starter
Posts: 2,389
And1: 2,141
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
     

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#36 » by Spree2Houston » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:03 pm

I don’t think it matters in the long term if the Nets win the championship. Gen Z are different type of NBA fans compared to Millennials. Millennials grew up in a era idolizing the teams or the name on the front of jerseys. They’re going to stay loyal to the team until the very end. Gen Z, on the other hand, grew up in a time when there was more player movement and less loyalty to teams. Gen Z will cheer for the names on the back of jerseys (or whichever team their favorite player is on) compared to Millennials. All of the new Net fans are mainly Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, James Harden fans. It’s why they struggled to draw fans a few years back when they made the playoffs. No star power. I can promise you in the future, if the best player in the NBA played for the Knicks and their big 3 are gone, all of them will become Knick fans.

In the short term it hurts. But in the long term, it won’t really matter if we’re able to attract stars.
User avatar
Bob Ross
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,287
And1: 1,107
Joined: Nov 28, 2011
   

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#37 » by Bob Ross » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:43 pm

The 7 Nets fans are definitely intimidating.

I get what you're saying, but there are other teams facing greater pressure from the Nets than us. Win now teams, which we are approaching but we don't have a narrow window. I don't really think anyone is beating them honestly, but I also doubt it's a 10 year dynasty. They have a short window. We just keep doing what we're doing and when they're on the decline, we should be ready to step up to the show hopefully.

The Nets are a national interest. Real New Yorkers could give a sh*t about them. It's not the same as LeBron in Miami and US getting Carmelo to compete with them immediately.

But, like you said, there is the Dolan wildcard. I guess we'll see
User avatar
Marty McFly
RealGM
Posts: 24,298
And1: 6,745
Joined: Sep 15, 2009
     

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#38 » by Marty McFly » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:56 pm

The Nets are just the islanders in the 80's. isle's won 4 titles in the 80's when the the Rangers hadn't won one since the beginning of World War II. it won't compare to the Knicks when they finally win one.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,762
And1: 749
Joined: Feb 03, 2021

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#39 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:13 pm

Bob Ross wrote:The 7 Nets fans are definitely intimidating.

I get what you're saying, but there are other teams facing greater pressure from the Nets than us. Win now teams, which we are approaching but we don't have a narrow window. I don't really think anyone is beating them honestly, but I also doubt it's a 10 year dynasty. They have a short window. We just keep doing what we're doing and when they're on the decline, we should be ready to step up to the show hopefully.

The Nets are a national interest. Real New Yorkers could give a sh*t about them. It's not the same as LeBron in Miami and US getting Carmelo to compete with them immediately.

But, like you said, there is the Dolan wildcard. I guess we'll see


I never said 10, but 3 is honestly realistic. Hate to say that, but it's not out of the realm of possibility at all, barring injuries.

And with Dolan's ego being so fragile, you just never know what he's thinking these days. It's going to really sting if he's watching all the press covering the World Champion Nets. I don't think some people realize yet how much they are going to be touted. We'll start hearing that Dynasty word everywhere if they win it this year. And Dolan is used to having the luxury of not really caring about the fans. Knicks fans are some of the most loyal fans in all of sports, and he knows it. So when that shift in the media happens, he might freak out and start demanding the FO do something NOW. Get Westbrook, John Wall, maybe Jimmy Butler. . All will probably be on the table. I just have a feeling this is exactly what is going to happen. There will be no more 'develop our squad over time' and 'patience'. I think it all goes out the window the moment the Nets win it.
User avatar
Bob Ross
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,287
And1: 1,107
Joined: Nov 28, 2011
   

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#40 » by Bob Ross » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:40 pm

I mean you're not wrong. Dolan has his Dolan history.

Hope lies in the strength of his relationship with Leon and Wes. I dont mind an accelerated plan as long as it is smart. I feel like Leon is the dude who can check Dolan.

But then again, trust fund billionaires are like an entirely different species. The old money, Uber wealthy don't think like us, or even the rich.

So, in conclusion, wtf do I know.

Return to New York Knicks