ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks select Rokas Jokubaitis (34th overall)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,265

Re: Knicks select Rokas Jokubaitis (34th overall) 

Post#201 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Dec 5, 2021 5:30 pm

evevale wrote:
Hes_On_Fire wrote:
WajaBawl wrote:Looked average in summer league, and have doubts about his game translating with the physicality of the NBA. Rooting for the kid though, but doubt he's even gonna play a single minute for us anywhere in the near future.

He’ll be in a trade package for Harrison Barnes - the prototypical Thibodeau player.

If we do in fact make a move for Mr. Barnes my only request is that we do it mid-game

You like living in the spite of the moment
ImageImageImage
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#202 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Dec 5, 2021 5:35 pm

robillionaire wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Our baby Joker is looking good

He combines Pace + Penetration

There’s early signs of some Nash tendencies in the way he can navigate in congested paint areas until he finds a seam. That seems to be more about his sensibilities than having an elite handle. He plays with his head up and is always probing for defensive weaknesses which is very encouraging

The biggest thing I see is he has elite body control. He won’t be the quickest guy on the court (though he will compensate for that to some degree by pushing the ball upcourt and with outlet passes). But he could be very savvy.

Look at his footwork. If he is a special player, I think you’ll find the separation there. He has great gravity. Notice how he pony hops a lot. He is already very adept at jab steps and feints. His low center gravity gives him the ability to plant his feet and change direction without any wasted effort. It makes him potentially hard to guard if his handles keep improving.

And that body control extends to getting off shots with contract. He’s not a big guy, but he looks deceptively strong. He seems quite capable of scoring with contact.

Guys who combine pace, intelligence and body control tend to be good NBA prospects as long as they can do the other basics fairly well. Body control is what allows guys to get off shots other players can’t.

Kid looks promising

If he can play like this in the NBA he’s probably a better PG than anyone on our roster now (no disrespect to DRose whom I consider more of a combo guard).

Joku seems more like a combo guard to me as well, not that there’s anything wrong with that

It does seem the NBA model for PGs has shifted pretty decisively to score first guys who can break down defenses and kick to open guys on the perimeter.
ImageImageImage
evevale
Lead Assistant
And1: 16,733

Post#203 » by evevale » Sun Dec 5, 2021 6:27 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:You like living in the spite of the moment

You know, I had to google this saying to understand what it meant only to discover that it revealed how dumb I am.

You're all cruel, terrible people.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#204 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Dec 5, 2021 6:55 pm

evevale wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:You like living in the spite of the moment

You know, I had to google this saying to understand what it meant only to discover that it revealed how dumb I am.

You're all cruel, terrible people.

Yes, we are

Substitute spite with spirit. Therein lies the wordplay
ImageImageImage
finestrg
Sophomore
And1: 142

Post#205 » by finestrg » Tue Dec 7, 2021 1:34 am

Not sure if it's been said already but one guy Rokas really reminds me of -- Beno Udrih. Lefty Euro. PG with that extra inch or two of height that could run the show, shoot, put it on the floor, handle it and pass well. Beno had a nice 13-year career in the NBA. Very capable rotation PG for quite a few teams, including the Knicks for a little bit in 2013-2014. I liked him a lot, esp. when he was a little younger in Sacramento.

Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#206 » by Jstock12 » Tue Dec 7, 2021 10:16 am

robillionaire wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Our baby Joker is looking good

He combines Pace + Penetration

There’s early signs of some Nash tendencies in the way he can navigate in congested paint areas until he finds a seam. That seems to be more about his sensibilities than having an elite handle. He plays with his head up and is always probing for defensive weaknesses which is very encouraging

The biggest thing I see is he has elite body control. He won’t be the quickest guy on the court (though he will compensate for that to some degree by pushing the ball upcourt and with outlet passes). But he could be very savvy.

Look at his footwork. If he is a special player, I think you’ll find the separation there. He has great gravity. Notice how he pony hops a lot. He is already very adept at jab steps and feints. His low center gravity gives him the ability to plant his feet and change direction without any wasted effort. It makes him potentially hard to guard if his handles keep improving.

And that body control extends to getting off shots with contract. He’s not a big guy, but he looks deceptively strong. He seems quite capable of scoring with contact.

Guys who combine pace, intelligence and body control tend to be good NBA prospects as long as they can do the other basics fairly well. Body control is what allows guys to get off shots other players can’t.

Kid looks promising

If he can play like this in the NBA he’s probably a better PG than anyone on our roster now (no disrespect to DRose whom I consider more of a combo guard).

Joku seems more like a combo guard to me as well, not that there’s anything wrong with that

Speaking of, he was being used mostly as a SG last season in Zalgiris. However, he said in a podcast a couple months ago that he's not a fan of playing at the SG and sees himself as a point guard, that's what he enjoys the most. This was one of the main reasons why he left for Barcelona, because Jasikevicius promised him the PG duties.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,920

Post#207 » by F N 11 » Tue Dec 7, 2021 10:43 am

Oh look. A Knicks guard who clearly knows how to manipulate the pick and roll.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#208 » by Jstock12 » Tue Dec 7, 2021 11:24 am

Read on Twitter
Makar
Ballboy
And1: 100

Post#209 » by Makar » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:53 pm

Jokubaitis scores 12 pts and 4 assists in only 14 minutes in El Classico against Real Madrid.

f=

He played good first half, but in second coach Jasikevicius not happy becouse of he`s defence. And another PG Laprovittola played good, so just 4 minutes playing time for Rokas in second half, but still overall he did good job in so big big game.

[tweet
Read on Twitter
][/tweet]
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#210 » by Jstock12 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:16 am

Makar wrote:Jokubaitis scores 12 pts and 4 assists in only 14 minutes in El Classico against Real Madrid.

f=

He played good first half, but in second coach Jasikevicius not happy becouse of he`s defence. And another PG Laprovittola played good, so just 4 minutes playing time for Rokas in second half, but still overall he did good job in so big big game.

[tweet
Read on Twitter
][/tweet]

Rokas could have stayed in Zalgiris with coach Schiller who wouldn't have been holding him accountable for stuff like this and Rokas would have been making even more money than he makes in Barcelona, but he chose to go to Barcelona when he knew very well that Jasikevicius will be on his ass 24/7 and hold him accountable. The fact that he wanted it tells me a lot about his character and work ethic. :)

If Jokubaitis sustains this trajectory of improvement, he can easily reach the level of a good backup PG in the NBA (some sort of Udrih/Dragic hybrid).
Makar
Ballboy

Post#211 » by Makar » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:51 pm

Another crazy game for Barca in euroleague, comeback and win from -20, late in the third. Jokubaitis 15 pts in 29 minutes 4/6 2p fg 1/2 3p fg 4/4 ft. he scores the clutch lay up in tye game, 20 seconds left in OT, and 2 free throws after...
Read on Twitter
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#212 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:10 am

Makar wrote:Another crazy game for Barca in euroleague, comeback and win from -20, late in the third. Jokubaitis 15 pts in 29 minutes 4/6 2p fg 1/2 3p fg 4/4 ft. he scores the clutch lay up in tye game, 20 seconds left in OT, and 2 free throws after...
Read on Twitter

How good do you think he is?
ImageImageImage
Makar
Ballboy

Post#213 » by Makar » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:09 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
Makar wrote:Another crazy game for Barca in euroleague, comeback and win from -20, late in the third. Jokubaitis 15 pts in 29 minutes 4/6 2p fg 1/2 3p fg 4/4 ft. he scores the clutch lay up in tye game, 20 seconds left in OT, and 2 free throws after...
Read on Twitter

He is my favorite player right now. I don’t know about his future in the NBA, it’s hard to predict, but in Europe, at the age of 21, he’s one of the best pointguards. He has all the skills to be really good. It`s not only about points and assists, but his influence in the game is huge, he just brings the brain in the game. He is a very nice and likeable person to
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#214 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:12 am

Makar wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Read on Twitter

He is my favorite player right now. I don’t know about his future in the NBA, it’s hard to predict, but in Europe, at the age of 21, he’s one of the best pointguards. He has all the skills to be really good. It`s not only about points and assists, but his influence in the game is huge, he just brings the brain in the game. He is a very nice and likeable person to

I would think one of the best PGs in Europe should be able to play in the NBA

Thanks, keep us posted
ImageImageImage
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#215 » by Jstock12 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:14 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Makar wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

I would think one of the best PGs in Europe should be able to play in the NBA

Thanks, keep us posted

To me there are no doubts about his offense translating to the NBA, but the biggest challenge will always be on the defensive end. His progress there will make or break his NBA dreams. And I'm not just talking about man to man defense, there's a lot of work to be done in team defense as well (though that could be said about any young player).
Makar
Ballboy

Post#216 » by Makar » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:29 pm

your mood after 5 fouls, when you did everything for the team to win
https://fb.watch/a4f-6n4dOt/
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,477

Post#217 » by ellobo » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:59 pm

Read on Twitter

You know he's going left...you just can't stop it.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,780

Post#218 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jan 1, 2022 1:02 am

Lithuanian basketball powerhouse site basketnews.lt, ranked top 10 most promising Lithuanians, and predictably, Rokas Jokubaitis was ranked number 1. Number two was Ąžuolas Tubelis from Arizona university, and third was Deividas Dirvydis from Detroit Pistons. which is kinda sad, cuase hes a scrub, but whatever.

I think Rokas so far has surpassed the most optimistic expectations as a Barcelona player. He stepped up big after star PG Nick Calathes got injured, and already looks like a strong member and one of the key members on a top 3 team in all of Europe.
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#219 » by Jstock12 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 3:20 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Lithuanian basketball powerhouse site basketnews.lt, ranked top 10 most promising Lithuanians, and predictably, Rokas Jokubaitis was ranked number 1. Number two was Ąžuolas Tubelis from Arizona university, and third was Deividas Dirvydis from Detroit Pistons. which is kinda sad, cuase hes a scrub, but whatever.

I think Rokas so far has surpassed the most optimistic expectations as a Barcelona player. He stepped up big after star PG Nick Calathes got injured, and already looks like a strong member and one of the key members on a top 3 team in all of Europe.

How is Buzelis not ranked higher than Sirvydis? :lol: Isn't he projected as a top-10 pick?
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,029

Post#220 » by Capn'O » Tue Jan 4, 2022 4:23 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Lithuanian basketball powerhouse site basketnews.lt, ranked top 10 most promising Lithuanians, and predictably, Rokas Jokubaitis was ranked number 1. Number two was Ąžuolas Tubelis from Arizona university, and third was Deividas Dirvydis from Detroit Pistons. which is kinda sad, cuase hes a scrub, but whatever.

Oooooh, the much coveted UcanUwill Euro blessing. I'm officially excited :-D

Spoiler:
No sarcasm - this dude knows his ****.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:

Return to New York Knicks