ImageImageImageImageImage

New York Yankees Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Re: New York Yankees Thread 

Post#281 » by DickGrayson » Wed Oct 6, 2021 9:07 am

Boone sucks, but this roster isn't built to win until we address CF/SS/C/SP
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,616

Post#282 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Oct 6, 2021 11:12 am

DickGrayson wrote:Boone sucks, but this roster isn't built to win until we address CF/SS/C/SP

What are we supposed to do though? We’re not a big market team so we don’t have money to spend. Maybe we should rebuild and cut payroll like the Rays
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#283 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Wed Oct 6, 2021 12:13 pm

F N 11 wrote:such buzz kill after watching knicks.

Yankees were pretenders and teasers the whole season. :lol: :lol: :lol:
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,021

Post#284 » by moocow007 » Wed Oct 6, 2021 1:09 pm

Yankees apparently still don't realize that you can't just spend "a lot" and expect to win now that there are a lot more teams willing to spend "a lot more" to try and win. So they will continue to try to spend "a lot but not enough" to "compete" but never win anything. Net result is a potential high end treadmill team.

If the Yankees aren't willing to commit to do "whatever it takes" to win from a financial standpoint, maybe they should take a page out of the Rays book (and honestly even the Red Sox book) and trade some (or most) of your big ticket guys to reload the till if you will. This silly still very expensive but not expensive enough nonsense isn't going to work IMHO.

Honestly Erik Neander is doing wonders in Tampa. Steinbrenner should think about bringing him on to replace Cashman. At least that way the Yankees can still win but not have to fake it as big spenders.
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#285 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Wed Oct 6, 2021 1:27 pm

moocow007 wrote:Yankees apparently still don't realize that you can't just spend "a lot" and expect to win now that there are a lot more teams willing to spend "a lot more" to try and win. So they will continue to try to spend "a lot but not enough" to "compete" but never win anything. Net result is a potential high end treadmill team.

If the Yankees aren't willing to commit to do "whatever it takes" to win from a financial standpoint, maybe they should take a book out of the Rays and honestly even the Red Sox book and trade some (or most) of your big ticket guys to reload the till if you will. This silly still very expensive but not expensive enough nonsense isn't going to work IMHO.

Honestly Erik Neander is doing wonders in Tampa. Steinbrenner should think about bringing him on to replace Cashman. At least that way the Yankees can still win but not have to fake it as big spenders.

But we “win” in Hal’s view when we stay under the luxury tax threshold. Oh, and please bring back Gardner for yet another season. :lol:
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,021

Post#286 » by moocow007 » Wed Oct 6, 2021 1:44 pm

VirginiaKnickFan wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Yankees apparently still don't realize that you can't just spend "a lot" and expect to win now that there are a lot more teams willing to spend "a lot more" to try and win. So they will continue to try to spend "a lot but not enough" to "compete" but never win anything. Net result is a potential high end treadmill team.

If the Yankees aren't willing to commit to do "whatever it takes" to win from a financial standpoint, maybe they should take a book out of the Rays and honestly even the Red Sox book and trade some (or most) of your big ticket guys to reload the till if you will. This silly still very expensive but not expensive enough nonsense isn't going to work IMHO.

But we “win” in Hal’s view when we stay under the luxury tax threshold. Oh, and please bring back Gardner for yet another season. :lol:

Sad but true. :lol:
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,653

Post#287 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Oct 6, 2021 2:33 pm

If the Yankees aren't willing to commit to do "whatever it takes" to win from a financial standpoint, maybe they should take a page out of the Rays book (and honestly even the Red Sox book) and trade some (or most) of your big ticket guys to reload the till if you will. This silly still very expensive but not expensive enough nonsense isn't going to work IMHO.

Yankees somehow found the treadmill in a sport where you could basically spend your way out of it if you wanted to. I would have never thought George dying would have this much impact on this team's long term future and yet here we are.

Hank and Hal seem ok with being the Indiana Pacers of the MLB... What a shame :noway:
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,053

Post#288 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Oct 6, 2021 7:09 pm

It's not how much you spend...it is what you spend it on. We had half the lineup hitting Mendoza line or lower all year. The only quality consistent play we got was Judge/Stanton. Not enough to win it all.

I had fun being on the verge of collapse and fighting for the WC. Disappointed we didn't have a better season but...whatever. Get Theo to replace Cashman and fire Boone.
:beer: RIP mags
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,653

Post#289 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Oct 6, 2021 7:43 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:It's not how much you spend...it is what you spend it on. We had half the lineup hitting Mendoza line or lower all year. The only quality consistent play we got was Judge/Stanton. Not enough to win it all.

I had fun being on the verge of collapse and fighting for the WC. Disappointed we didn't have a better season but...whatever. Get Theo to replace Cashman and fire Boone.

But the issue is they don't spend enough. The only position players they were giving a semblance of big money (In Yankees terms) to are Stanton and LeMahieu. Their reluctance to spend really, at all, has bit them in the azz in multiple ways...

A) They didn't maximize Judge's controllable years at all. Now they are going to have to commit a ton of money to him and make it harder to justify giving out another big contract to fix the holes on this team. When for example they could have spent on Machado 2 years ago and maybe he makes the difference between us making the wild card this year and winning the division or maybe we win it all in the pandemic season when he was a top 3 MVP candidate...Yes spending doesn't necessarily fix all your problems, but the opportunity cost of not spending when you have the means can also be just as bad.

B) Over-reliance on youth has left them with no insurance policies for when the youth either don't develop like intended or when they get hurt like we've seen the past few years.

C) The Yankees seem fine with grossly overpaying 1-2 guys on each side of the ball and leaving the rest up to Cashman to unearth hidden gems. Hence the inconsistent results throughout the past few years from both hitters and pitching staff.

It just seems like the Yankees are content with being a good team who tries to strike hot in the playoffs and last night was a perfect example as to why their strategy is either deliberately cheap or they have incompetent staff. All this talk about how the Yankees are always built for October and yet the only times you felt confident last night were when the top of the order was due up... And they didn't have a Plan B pitcher wise last night. It didn't matter that Cole was struggling coming into that game because they didn't have another pitcher they felt confident to give the ball to. It all reeks of Hal wanting to turn a profit at all costs instead of win at all costs. And he can hide behind his 6'8" loveable centerpiece while he does it which is a shame because that same centerpiece deserves better from an Organization that used to pride itself on being an evil empire...
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,053

Post#290 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Oct 6, 2021 7:51 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:It's not how much you spend...it is what you spend it on. We had half the lineup hitting Mendoza line or lower all year. The only quality consistent play we got was Judge/Stanton. Not enough to win it all.

But the issue is they don't spend enough. The only position players they were giving a semblance of big money (In Yankees terms) to are Stanton and LeMahieu. Their reluctance to spend really, at all, has bit them in the azz in multiple ways...

A) They didn't maximize Judge's controllable years at all. Now they are going to have to commit a ton of money to him and make it harder to justify giving out another big contract to fix the holes on this team. When for example they could have spent on Machado 2 years ago and maybe he makes the difference between us making the wild card this year and winning the division or maybe we win it all in the pandemic season when he was a top 3 MVP candidate...Yes spending doesn't necessarily fix all your problems, but the opportunity cost of not spending when you have the means can also be just as bad.

B) Over-reliance on youth has left them with no insurance policies for when the youth either don't develop like intended or when they get hurt like we've seen the past few years.

C) The Yankees seem fine with grossly overpaying 1-2 guys on each side of the ball and leaving the rest up to Cashman to unearth hidden gems. Hence the inconsistent results throughout the past few years from both hitters and pitching staff.

It just seems like the Yankees are content with being a good team who tries to strike hot in the playoffs and last night was a perfect example as to why their strategy is either deliberately cheap or they have incompetent staff. All this talk about how the Yankees are always built for October and yet the only times you felt confident last night were when the top of the order was due up... And they didn't have a Plan B pitcher wise last night. It didn't matter that Cole was struggling coming into that game because they didn't have another pitcher they felt confident to give the ball to. It all reeks of Hal wanting to turn a profit at all costs instead of win at all costs. And he can hide behind his 6'8" loveable centerpiece while he does it which is a shame because that same centerpiece deserves better from an Organization that used to pride itself on being an evil empire...

Like I said...it is what you spend the money on. Hicks/DJ/Cole. That was basically it this year right? Who am I missing? Brought back Gardy. Pitching wins. We lost German we lost Severino. They needed more.

Fire Cashman and Boone. Bring in Theo!
:beer: RIP mags
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#291 » by Papi_swav » Wed Oct 6, 2021 9:08 pm

A big problem was that our players regressed a whole lot. Torres goes from 38 home runs to 9?! DJ was a batting title hitter and now he looks just average. IDK what happened to Clint and Andujar. Gardy is done. Sanchez needs to go. Urshela took a dip. Our defense was horrible ! The Gleyber shortstop experiment should be over with. Our pitching was actually ok this season.

We need to fire Boone and co. Somehow find a way to land one of the premier shortstops in Semien, Correa or Seager. Freeman would be a perfect lefty 1st baseman. Marte would be great for center field and the top of our lineup. Replace Sanchez please. Find a #2 starter. There are some solid star players out there but it all depends if they are going to spend . Clint, Andujar, Voit I'd assume don't have much value around the league. Ugh we're screwed.
NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,917

Post#292 » by NYKinMIA » Wed Oct 6, 2021 9:39 pm

Knicks was the perfect distraction for this dumpster fire of a team.

Fire everybody!
KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#293 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Oct 6, 2021 10:22 pm

VirginiaKnickFan wrote:

This. Hal ain’t mad at all.
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,693

Post#294 » by ccvle » Wed Oct 6, 2021 11:44 pm

Alot of the complaint is speaking with hindsight. What would you have done differently? Given how voit performed last year and the year before, would you really have spend big money on a 1st baseman? Same with Gio. I guess signing hicks was a mistake given the injury history of judge, Stanton and Frazier. Sanchez was probably a bad decision even out hindsight.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#295 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Oct 7, 2021 12:43 am

ccvle wrote:Alot of the complaint is speaking with hindsight. What would you have done differently? Given how voit performed last year and the year before, would you really have spend big money on a 1st baseman? Same with Gio. I guess signing hicks was a mistake given the injury history of judge, Stanton and Frazier. Sanchez was probably a bad decision even out hindsight.

Y’all think the pitching situation was good coming into the season? Shat I knew everyone was going to get hurt.
ccvle
Head Coach

Post#296 » by ccvle » Thu Oct 7, 2021 1:44 am

KnicksGadfly wrote:
ccvle wrote:Alot of the complaint is speaking with hindsight. What would you have done differently? Given how voit performed last year and the year before, would you really have spend big money on a 1st baseman? Same with Gio. I guess signing hicks was a mistake given the injury history of judge, Stanton and Frazier. Sanchez was probably a bad decision even out hindsight.

Y’all think the pitching situation was good coming into the season? Shat I knew everyone was going to get hurt.

Did i trust the pitching staff heading into this season with Kubler and Taillon ? I definitely had doubts. Would we have been better with Tanaka? or signed Corbin from a few years ago? or Strasburg or Keuchle? Personally, I don't think so.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#297 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Oct 7, 2021 4:00 am

ccvle wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:

Did i trust the pitching staff heading into this season with Kubler and Taillon ? I definitely had doubts. Would we have been better with Tanaka? or signed Corbin from a few years ago? or Strasburg or Keuchle? Personally, I don't think so.

Right, but you're cherry-picking names right now, and we can also do the same exercise where we cherry-pick successful pitching acquisitions like Morton or Wheeler. Let's leave behind the hindsight since hindsight is 20-20. However, process isn't. I think the Yankees process was flawed from the beginning.

My biggest doubt was what we were going to do when those guys got hurt. If you're serious about contending, though, do you really want to place that much faith on Kluber? And then Taillon? Sevy returning? Did we really think that was the formula for contention, Cole and then a bunch of dudes who might spend a crapton of time on the IR? Yes, there was a chance that these guys stay healthy and pitch us to the title, but that would have been a fluke. Okay, there's an argument to be made that the pitching 2020 FA sucked. But that's why teams plan ahead, in the same way the Knicks plan ahead for FA classes. Just **** process.
ccvle
Head Coach

Post#298 » by ccvle » Thu Oct 7, 2021 4:23 am

My point wasnt trying to cherry pick names but just to point out that most of the free agent signing ended up being pretty bad that it is hard to find names that you say "fk I wish the Yankees spent money to get him". Yes, there are a Charlie morton and Zach wheeler here and there every year but there are alot more names that Im gald we didn't get. I'm not trying to defend every one of Yankees decision as I agree there were many bad ones, just that I don't believe being cheap is the number One issue.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,169

Post#299 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Oct 7, 2021 5:32 am

You guys gotta get rid of John Sterling.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 995

Post#300 » by blue and orange » Fri Oct 8, 2021 11:39 am

This team is poorly scouted and coached. Since we have added Cole were barely a playoff team. Look at the Astros yes we know they cheated, they lost their manager and GM, guys to FA and are still right there amongst the top teams. Our coaching if far behind the Rays and the Redsox.

Yes we know the Redsox arent beating the Rays, however this is a rebuilding year for them,they beat us with Cole on the mound and they didnt even have JD Martinez. You could bring in big names but until philosophical changes are made I still see us behind the Astros, Rays, and Redsox, those teams bring in FA that fit.

Return to New York Knicks