ImageImageImageImageImage

Build a Franchise- Season 5 Discussion (Free Agency Edition)- Free Agency schedule on page 82

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,600

Build a Franchise- Season 5 Discussion (Free Agency Edition)- Free Agency schedule on page 82 

Post#1 » by bishnykfan » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:42 pm

Previous thread- https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2104817

ANNOUNCEMENT

Free agency will begin on Sunday, August 22nd.

We will be implementing a new method for FA for this offseason. Due to the overwhelming amount of PM's last year, with an average FA class, it became clear that changes would need to be made to sustain this league moving forward. We could probably get by using the same process as last year for this offseason but with next years huge FA class and the reset coming, it is time to change things up and see if there are issues in our new method for conducting FA. After a lot of work by mph which I appreciated, and lots of discussion on the board, it unfortunately became clear that the majority of people didn't want to use the spreadsheet he created which may have eased up the amount of messages I both received and needed to send. So, with the spreadsheet out, other changes will now be implemented. The new FA process will look like this:

Free agency will begin at 6AM on Sunday, 8/22. Each team can submit one comprehensive bid from 6AM-7AM. This bid can be for as many players as you can legally sign. Each team will be responsible for managing their own cap space. If you are submitting bids for multiple players, you must be prepared to sign them all. If a team has 15 players on their roster, they must put in their bid who they will waive in the contingency that they win a bid.

At 7AM, I will open all PM's (should be a max of 30 although I'm guessing it will be less). From 7-8AM I will be responding to all LEADING bids. If you have a leading bid on a player, I will PM you as I have in the past to let you know. I will also respond to all teams that are within $10 of the leading bid to let them know what they will need to bid to beat the current high bid. I will not be responding to any other inquiries or bids that aren't within $10 of the leading bid. Leading bids will be timestamped by the time I receive your PM, to make up for this additional time, we will move from 6 hours to 7 hours before a player signs. If a leading bid is PM'd to me at 6:12AM and that bid is not beaten, that player will sign at 1:12PM. A slight change from last year.

SUNDAY AUGUST 22

Spoiler:
6-7AM- Open bids (one PM per team)
7-8AM- Bids are reviewed and responded to if you're leading or within $10 of leading bid
8-9AM- Open bids (one PM per team)
9-10AM- Bids are reviewed and responded to if you're leading or within $10 of leading bid
10-11AM- Open bids (one PM per team)
11AM-12PM- Bids are reviewed and responded to if you're leading or within $10 of leading bid
12PM-1PM- Open bids (one PM per team)
1PM-2PM- Bids are reviewed and responded to if you're leading or within $10 of leading bid- (Leading bids from the 6AM hour that haven't been beaten yet will sign.
2PM-3PM- Open bids (one PM per team)
3PM-4PM- Bids are reviewed and responded to if you're leading or within $10 of leading bid- (Leading bids from the 8AM hour that haven't been beaten yet will sign.
4PM-5PM- Open bids (one PM per team)
5PM-6PM- Bids are reviewed and responded to if you're leading or within $10 of leading bid- (Leading bids from the 10AM hour that haven't been beaten yet will sign.
6PM-7PM- Open bids (one PM per team)
7PM-8PM- Bids are reviewed and responded to if you're leading or within $10 of leading bid- (Leading bids from the 12PM hour that haven't been beaten yet will sign.
8PM-9PM- Open bids (one PM per team)
9PM-10PM- Bids are reviewed and responded to if you're leading or within $10 of leading bid- (Leading bids from the 2PM hour that haven't been beaten yet will sign.
10PM-11PM- Open bids (one PM per team)
11PM-12AM- Bids are reviewed and responded to if you're leading or within $10 of leading bid- (Leading bids from the 4PM hour that haven't been beaten yet will sign.

This is not a perfect method by any stretch but it is probably the closest we can get to the way we've handled FA in the past. Teams will need to be responsible for their cap and roster management. Teams will also need to prioritize who they are bidding on early in the process. If you place bids for five players and lose out on the first four but lead on the fifth, then you will be locked into that bid until it is beaten or the player signs. So prioritize the players you want and open with a decent bid on them or risk losing that hour and not understanding where the market is moving forward.

If a trade is made at any point during the main part of FA (the opening 2-3 days), teams can submit them via PM, with the clear subject heading letting me know that a trade was made and what teams it involves. Trades will be processed as soon as I receive them.

This is obviously new for everyone. It will hopefully be beneficial to all moving forward. GM's don't have to sit at their computers all day, they won't be receiving PM's from me hours after they sent in an offer and I won't be overwhelmed with 1000 PM's in a three day span. I'm sure there are aspects to FA that I have not thought of which we can discuss in the next two weeks. Please don't hesitate to ask questions.

FINAL FREE AGENCY DESTINATION DESIRABILITY TIERS

Spoiler:
1- INDIANA
PORTLAND
DALLAS

2- BROOKLYN
PHILADELPHIA
CHICAGO
GOLDEN STATE

3- TORONTO
NEW ORLEANS
SAN ANTONIO

4- SACRAMENTO

5- CLEVELAND
OKLAHOMA CITY
CLIPPERS

6- MILWAUKEE
CHARLOTTE
WASHINGTON
DENVER

7- NEW YORK
DETROIT
UTAH
LAKERS

8- BOSTON
ATLANTA
MIAMI
ORLANDO
HOUSTON
MEMPHIS

9- MINNESOTA
PHOENIX
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Re: Build a Franchise- Season 5 Discussion (Free Agency Addition) 

Post#2 » by HEZI » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:10 pm

Gonna be out the country for a couple weeks starting the week after free agency. Not sure if I will be that active during free agency so I am open to any trades available right now. Hit me up willing to discuss the good bad and ugly
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,549

Post#3 » by mpharris36 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:14 pm

Hey Bish,

Just wanted to clarify something about the within $10 bid you will get responded to.

Due to FA Ratings and length there are scenarios where someone with a 1 year $100 offer doesn't beat a 4 year $70 offer.

The 4 years $70 offer which is still better will be the leading bid and that wont change but if someone else bids says 2 years $65 they are within the the $10 threshold but technically its still nowhere near a winning possible bid because they are offering much less in years especially if they have a bad FA rating.

How does that scenario get handled with that $10 threshold rule? Would they get at least responded to because $65 is within $10 of $70.

But a 5 year $55 offer from a bird rights team isn't within $10 but is a much more competitive bid than 2 years $65. Would they not get responded to?
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Context
RealGM
And1: 12,226

Post#4 » by Context » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:17 pm

mpharris36 wrote:.

Post#2030 » by mpharris36 » Today 1:47 pm

Context wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Tryna make it spicy in here. Nobody wanna talk schit besides me :lol:

Glad you are back to talking spicy after the lovey dovey within your division :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dont get mad that hes passing the torch down to me :lol:

what does that win for you?
BAF Spurs:

what does what win mph?
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,224

Post#5 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:18 pm

Just a few questions:
1. Say if someone makes a bid during the non-bid period (ex 7:01am). Does this get voided or moved to 8am?

2. If a player will be signed at 1pm, and a bid is placed at 12pm but it is not enough. Then that person can not send another bid email until 2pm?
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#6 » by mpharris36 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:20 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Just a few questions:
1. Say if someone makes a bid during the non-bid period (ex 7:01am). Does this get voided or moved to 8am?

2. If a player will be signed at 1pm, and a bid is placed at 12pm but it is not enough. Then that person can not send another bid email until 2pm?

yeah part two concerns me a bit but it makes only legit offers but if you go into that last hour and you aren't winning and can't even inquire about the winning bid you kinda just have to blindly throw an offer in which can get dicey.

ROSTER

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#7 » by mpharris36 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:28 pm

HEZI wrote:Gonna be out the country for a couple weeks starting the week after free agency. Not sure if I will be that active during free agency so I am open to any trades available right now. Hit me up willing to discuss the good bad and ugly

I totally blew past your Terry Rozier deal. That was a nice acquisition. Rozier should be nice in the SIM.

ROSTER

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,224

Post#8 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:42 pm

mpharris36 wrote:

yeah part two concerns me a bit but it makes only legit offers but if you go into that last hour and you aren't winning and can't even inquire about the winning bid you kinda just have to blindly throw an offer in which can get dicey.

In a way that can be good to avoid last minute bid ups or low ball offers. But in other ways it can be tough if you have to pivot off another target or if you are the leading bidder and get outbidded.

The timing is going to be really tricky.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#9 » by mpharris36 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:46 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

In a way that can be good to avoid last minute bid ups or low ball offers. But in other ways it can be tough if you have to pivot off another target or if you are the leading bidder and get outbidded.

The timing is going to be really tricky.

yeah I think its manageable for this FA period because there aren't a ton of big names. But for the big FA class you will have to be very flexible to pivot off your targets and if you have no idea where a guy bidding is at it would just be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Could be really tough.

Also to your point if you either miss the open bidding period by a minute you basically lose 2 potential hours of bidding. So while you don't have to be on all day you really have to be on during those specific bidding windows. That could be tougher rather than just saying you had a few minutes to check and can place a bid now you have to also make sure you log in only during the correct bidding window.

ROSTER

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,378

Post#10 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:53 pm

Great to hear the spread sheet is out! I’m on board with this new plan.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,978

Post#11 » by Capn'O » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:02 pm

A question I have is with Bird players. If a first bid is for a non Bird player and it loses but a Bird bid wins and goes over the cap, my understanding is that you then lose all your non Bird bidding ability, no?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Strick
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,447

Post#12 » by Strick » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:28 pm

The beautiful thing about rebuilding is not needing to wait until preseason to watch 95% of your guys compete :lol:

RGM Knicks BAF- Minnesota Timberwolves

PG: Coby|Ivey|Bones
SG: Monk|Dinwiddie|Smith Jr
SF: B Miller|Jalen J|Cissoko
PF: Paolo|Obi|Walker
C: SenGOON|Koloko|____
bishnykfan

Post#13 » by bishnykfan » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:35 pm

mpharris36 wrote:Hey Bish,

Just wanted to clarify something about the within $10 bid you will get responded to.

Due to FA Ratings and length there are scenarios where someone with a 1 year $100 offer doesn't beat a 4 year $70 offer.

The 4 years $70 offer which is still better will be the leading bid and that wont change but if someone else bids says 2 years $65 they are within the the $10 threshold but technically its still nowhere near a winning possible bid because they are offering much less in years especially if they have a bad FA rating.

How does that scenario get handled with that $10 threshold rule? Would they get at least responded to because $65 is within $10 of $70.

But a 5 year $55 offer from a bird rights team isn't within $10 but is a much more competitive bid than 2 years $65. Would they not get responded to?

The within $10 will be from the equivalent of the leading bids number of years. If a leading bid is at $70/4 years and someone offers $100/1, I will see what the four year offer equivalent is. If that number is $60-$69, the GM will get a response letting him/her know what offer is needed to beat the current bid, just as in past years.
All-Time Draft

bishnykfan

Post#14 » by bishnykfan » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:41 pm

1. Bids made outside the one hour windows will be deleted and voided. To much to keep track of as it is with FA so teams will need to stick to the 9 one hour blocks of time each day.

2. A player who is signing at 1PM was bid on at 6AM. By that point teams have had three separate windows to get within $10 so they know what they need to bid to take the lead. Teams will also have had 4 separate windows to beat the bid and restart the clock on that player. If a bid comes in at 6AM the earliest a player can conceivably sign is 1PM. In the meantime, teams have the 8-9, 10-11 and 12-1 bidding windows to beat that players bid. If you can't come within $10 in the first three blocks or beat the bid in any of the four blocks, then I think it's fair that the player signs with the team who led all that way.
All-Time Draft

bishnykfan

Post#15 » by bishnykfan » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:48 pm

Capn'O wrote:A question I have is with Bird players. If a first bid is for a non Bird player and it loses but a Bird bid wins and goes over the cap, my understanding is that you then lose all your non Bird bidding ability, no?

This was an issue last year as well. Last year was obviously the first year that we took Bird rights into account. I know there was talk about this then and I'd be open to changing this if people are on board with it. Basically the complaint last year was exactly what you said, a team couldn't sign anyone after they signed their Bird FA if that signing took them over the cap.

This could be remedied pretty easily by delaying that Bird right signing. Someone (I apologize because I don't remember who it was) mentioned this last year. We didn't implement it because we either didn't have enough time or it didn't get enough support. But I'd be ok with having a Bird FA sign their deal which won't be announced until after the team uses up their available cap space first as long as the salary cap is not violated in the process.

Something that can definitely be discussed again so we can hear peoples thoughts.

I'm about to leave work and head home...will answer as many other questions as I can tonight.
All-Time Draft

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,978

Post#16 » by Capn'O » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:51 pm

bishnykfan wrote:
Capn'O wrote:A question I have is with Bird players. If a first bid is for a non Bird player and it loses but a Bird bid wins and goes over the cap, my understanding is that you then lose all your non Bird bidding ability, no?

This was an issue last year as well. Last year was obviously the first year that we took Bird rights into account. I know there was talk about this then and I'd be open to changing this if people are on board with it. Basically the complaint last year was exactly what you said, a team couldn't sign anyone after they signed their Bird FA if that signing took them over the cap.

This could be remedied pretty easily by delaying that Bird right signing. Someone (I apologize because I don't remember who it was) mentioned this last year. We didn't implement it because we either didn't have enough time or it didn't get enough support. But I'd be ok with having a Bird FA sign their deal which won't be announced until after the team uses up their available cap space first as long as the salary cap is not violated in the process.

Something that can definitely be discussed again so we can hear peoples thoughts.

I'm about to leave work and head home...will answer as many other questions as I can tonight.

The delay is consistent with what happens IRL and basically fits the function of the Bird rule. It is what I support.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#17 » by mpharris36 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:12 pm

Capn'O wrote:
bishnykfan wrote:

The delay is consistent with what happens IRL and basically fits the function of the Bird rule. It is what I support.

Yeah it basically the like the FA bidding period is the legal tampering period then when the dust settles depending on how your FA took place you can make your official signings once FA period is closed and then sign you Bird Rights FA last.

ROSTER

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#18 » by mpharris36 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:24 pm

I was also thinking about maybe it be a percentage of the winning bids contract you have to be within that threshold to get an PM back from Bish for players exceeding a certain amount.

Obviously $10 is plenty for guys making under $100 bids. But for the higher prices guys I think $10 might be a too limiting threshold for guys in the +200 range. Lets say a guy has a leading bid of 4 years $391. If you bid 4 years $380 I think thats still a pretty competitive bid to not even get a PM back if this is the method we are going with because you are $1 off a 4 year $391 bid.

Especially thinking about next year when a ton of major FA's will be out there and big $$$ will be thrown away. Maybe a % of the contract would be better as it escalates as the contract goes up. Maybe something like even 10% of the contract if the bidding exceeds $100? That would basically mean you need to be within $20 for $200 players and up to $50 for $500 dollar players.

ROSTER

RealGM
And1: 39,206

Post#19 » by 2010 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:34 pm

bishnykfan wrote:

Can't remember if I was the one who raised this, but I was definitely in this situation last year. The remedy is something I am in favor of, for sure, as that's how it plays out IRL.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
RealGM
And1: 39,206

Post#20 » by 2010 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:37 pm

I like this free agency system. It's very anti-troll. It forces teams to make good faith bids and should be hard for a GM to function in, if their goal is simply to inquire and attempt to bid up rival free agent targets.

Spoiler:

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter

Return to New York Knicks