ImageImageImageImageImage

Trades and Transactions, 2022 Edition

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,614

Re: Offseason Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread Take 2 

Post#261 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:23 pm

sol537 wrote:When/if DMitch (Jazz) becomes available, you package RJ + Obi + IQ + picks and bring him in to pair with Randle + Fournier and see if you can sneak a title in within the next 3-5 years while Randle + Mitchell are in their primes.

Why is Fournier included with Randle? He’s a good player but he ain’t on that level. That package hurts by the way. Guess it depends on how the young guys do this year.
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,356

Post#262 » by Ray Williams » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:00 pm

I love Mitch but if Ayton isn’t getting extended I’d try to move for him.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#263 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:09 pm

moocow007 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
I'm actually a Wood fan. If this was last offseason I would be much more inclined due to the offensive uptick that adding Wood would bring a team that (prior to the start of last season) I said was woefully deficient on the offensive end (and still said so even with Randle going God mode...playoff proving my case). Now? I'm not sure if the fit/need is still there. Still yeah I probably would. Wood is obviously a much better offensive player and his offensive game is pretty much perfect for today's NBA C. Defensively he's actually a bit underrated IMO and in Thibs defensive system I think he can work real well.

Wood is an underrated defender too. I mean if people are talking KAT, I think Wood is an option that’s much less expensive and actually brings some defense to the table. Can you imagine having all 5 players being 3-point threats? Maybe he could be had acquired without having to give up Mitch. How about Noel, Sims, and a FRP?

I would definitely do that if the Rockets agree. Would gives you a much better hedge in case something else goes wrong with Robinson moving forward. He'd make the Knicks even more of a handful to deal with for opposing defenses (they'd have 5 guys in their starting lineup that can all shoot from deep and score). Just imagine what that will do to a team like the Hawks when the Knicks play them different than in the playoffs this past season. Capella can't basically camp near the basket anymore which then will open up the lane for drives by the Knick guards and we won't have to see RJ get stuffed everytime he tries to score around the basket lol.

The flexibility would be unreal. We could add Knox to sweeten the offer.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,719

Post#264 » by 8516knicks » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:07 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Wood is an underrated defender too. I mean if people are talking KAT, I think Wood is an option that’s much less expensive and actually brings some defense to the table. Can you imagine having all 5 players being 3-point threats? Maybe he could be had acquired without having to give up Mitch. How about Noel, Sims, and a FRP?

I would definitely do that if the Rockets agree. Would gives you a much better hedge in case something else goes wrong with Robinson moving forward. He'd make the Knicks even more of a handful to deal with for opposing defenses (they'd have 5 guys in their starting lineup that can all shoot from deep and score). Just imagine what that will do to a team like the Hawks when the Knicks play them different than in the playoffs this past season. Capella can't basically camp near the basket anymore which then will open up the lane for drives by the Knick guards and we won't have to see RJ get stuffed everytime he tries to score around the basket lol.

The flexibility would be unreal. We could add Knox to sweeten the offer.

Does Knox' mother now work in the Rockets front office? :P
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#265 » by NYG » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:34 am

Angryfatboy wrote:
NYG wrote:What is the Knicks biggest need?

A backup wing with size that can defend and shoot

I bet we can get Al-Farouq Aminu from the Spurs for Kevin Knox just for salary savings alone. That means we could flip Aminu (possibly with 2nds) for a $15 Million or less salaried player. Who are some good fits? I think Terrance Ross and Kyle Kuzma are the best ones I can think of for that price.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#266 » by WargamesX » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:33 am

Ray Williams wrote:I love Mitch but if Ayton isn’t getting extended I’d try to move for him.

Yeah…. Yeah that would definitely be a smart move. The Suns would be crazy not to pay him his worth.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
8516knicks
Head Coach

Post#267 » by 8516knicks » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:50 pm

Another one bites the dust -- Tyrell Terry waived by the Mavs as another pre-draft board favorite joins Oturu in the void.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#268 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:49 am

WargamesX wrote:
Ray Williams wrote:I love Mitch but if Ayton isn’t getting extended I’d try to move for him.

Yeah…. Yeah that would definitely be a smart move. The Suns would be crazy not to pay him his worth.

Can we at least wait for Mitch to get back into game playing shape before we make any rash decisions?
POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,607

Post#269 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:15 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
WargamesX wrote:

Can we at least wait for Mitch to get back into game playing shape before we make any rash decisions?

rash decision? he destroyed mitch in their last matchup with 26 points 21 rebounds 2 blocks. and last season he detroyed nerlens noel with 26 points 15 rebounds. he's a massive upgrade at C for us.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,020

Post#270 » by moocow007 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:19 pm

8516knicks wrote:Another one bites the dust -- Tyrell Terry waived by the Mavs as another pre-draft board favorite joins Oturu in the void.

Apparently Terry had been dealing with some mental health issues. Hopefully he can get his mind straight and latch on somewhere else. There's still a lot of potential there.
dukeknicksirish
Veteran
And1: 1,915

Post#271 » by dukeknicksirish » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:56 am

As long as he doesn’t get the max from us, I would send Mitch out to the sun for him
IUPUI Basketball Alum / Former College Coach
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#272 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:03 am

moocow007 wrote:
8516knicks wrote:Another one bites the dust -- Tyrell Terry waived by the Mavs as another pre-draft board favorite joins Oturu in the void.

Apparently Terry had been dealing with some mental health issues. Hopefully he can get his mind straight and latch on somewhere else. There's still a lot of potential there.

I'd sign him and let's help get him right mentally and physically. This kid went to Stanford. He's no dope. He's a smart and maybe sensitive kid. Look at it as a trade of Frank for Tyrell. :lol:
POSTING POLICIES:
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#273 » by moocow007 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:51 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

I'd sign him and let's help get him right mentally and physically. This kid went to Stanford. He's no dope. He's a smart and maybe sensitive kid. Look at it as a trade of Frank for Tyrell. :lol:

:lol:
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#274 » by WargamesX » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:19 pm

Is it still to early for a draft thread? I want to start posting videos of viable wing targets mocked for the second round that other teams are going to end up taking in the top 10.

:nod:
8516knicks
Head Coach

Post#275 » by 8516knicks » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:06 pm

WargamesX wrote:Is it still to early for a draft thread? I want to start posting videos of viable wing targets mocked for the second round that other teams are going to end up taking in the top 10.

I think that compared to the past 2 years, changes have leaked board enthusiasm for it. First, we're now good (or at least solidly mediocre plus) so our pick will probably not be in the lottery. And also we seemed (going off last year) to be in a trade down mentality now, so players we might like will probably be passed over by us. And third, there's no clear cut wonderkind like Cade, let alone the others close to him this year. So, have at it; I'll read it (albeit knowing we'll probably trade down to the mid 2nd round).
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#276 » by WargamesX » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:40 pm

8516knicks wrote:
WargamesX wrote:Is it still to early for a draft thread? I want to start posting videos of viable wing targets mocked for the second round that other teams are going to end up taking in the top 10.

I think that compared to the past 2 years, changes have leaked board enthusiasm for it. First, we're now good (or at least solidly mediocre plus) so our pick will probably not be in the lottery. And also we seemed (going off last year) to be in a trade down mentality now, so players we might like will probably be passed over by us. And third, there's no clear cut wonderkind like Cade, let alone the others close to him this year. So, have at it; I'll read it (albeit knowing we'll probably trade down to the mid 2nd round).

I keep hoping we consolidate up. Next draft is not held to a high standard so it would be possible to consolidate to move up.
8516knicks
Head Coach

Post#277 » by 8516knicks » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:07 pm

WargamesX wrote:
8516knicks wrote:

I keep hoping we consolidate up. Next draft is not held to a high standard so it would be possible to consolidate to move up.

Wouldn't the logic be the opposite of that - if this draft sucks as you imply, why would another team prefer two more mediocre picks for a maybe semi-decent/semi-mediocre player? And if they're 1st rounders, they'd have to pay 2 contracts not just one. Only if they're heavy into the odds of one being serviceable on a G league level? And what good would picking a semi-mediocre G leaguer do us, anyway? (Admittedly, I have no idea how good/bad this upcoming draft is compared to past years).
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#278 » by WargamesX » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:09 am

8516knicks wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
8516knicks wrote:

Wouldn't the logic be the opposite of that - if this draft sucks as you imply, why would another team prefer two more mediocre picks for a maybe semi-decent/semi-mediocre player? And if they're 1st rounders, they'd have to pay 2 contracts not just one. Only if they're heavy into the odds of one being serviceable on a G league level? And what good would picking a semi-mediocre G leaguer do us, anyway? (Admittedly, I have no idea how good/bad this upcoming draft is compared to past years).

In some cases those two contracts are worth less salary than the higher draft pick. Also, teams identify players they like but expect to be there later so they trade down to lock them into a specific salary. While it drove me nuts in real time, the Knicks did this to acquire Grimes, McBride, Rokas, and Simms who they had pretty well mocked out. They came in with picks #19, and #21 and Grimes was their first pick of the night at #25.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#279 » by moocow007 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:55 pm

Yeah way too early I think. :lol:

And the 2022 draft looks kinda weakish. There's just a handful of guys that even stands out for me. Daimion Collins is one. Hunter Sallis is another. Paolo Banchero as well. None of the 3 are wings though and all will be gone by the time the Knicks pick. And I don't think any of them has perennial all star much less superstar potential.
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#280 » by WargamesX » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:39 pm

moocow007 wrote:

Yeah way too early I think. :lol:

And the 2022 draft looks kinda weakish. There's just a handful of guys that even stands out for me. Daimion Collins is one. Hunter Sallis is another. Paolo Banchero as well. None of the 3 are wings though and all will be gone by the time the Knicks pick. And I don't think any of them has perennial all star much less superstar potential.

I like Payton Watson as a prospect but I doubt he is there when the Knicks pick. For the Knicks I like Matthew Mayer. Mayer plays the way we wish Knox did. Shoots off of C&S, drives when he should, good defender, rebounds well, and most importantly doesn’t get knocked around on contact. He is a Senior so you got to account for that, and he might need time for strength and conditioning regardless but still I think his ceiling is a Harrison Barnes type of wing. Definitely someone who can come in 20 minutes a game and do something with the time he has.

Return to New York Knicks