ImageImageImageImageImage

Trades and Transactions, 2022 Edition

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Re: Offseason Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread Take 2 

Post#301 » by WargamesX » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:19 pm

The Blazers are definitely a team to watch to see if they decide to blow it up. It’s still early but they look like they took a step back.

Dame will be expensive but Robert Convington might be gettable for relatively cheap
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#302 » by newyorker4ever » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:21 pm

cgf wrote:If Cleveland hesitates on paying Sexton and Kemba looks done-done by season's end; how would folks feel about something like:

Cleveland in: Quickley, Noel, NYK/DAL 2023 FRP
New York in: Sexton at 4yrs 80-90M
Team 3 in: Kemba, NYK/DAL 2023 FRP

2022-2023 roster:
Robinson | Gibson | Sims
Randle | Toppin
Barrett | Grimes
Fournier | Burks
Sexton | Rose | McBride
+
NYK 2022 FRP, full-MLE, BAE

I'd rather have a real PG over a PG sized SG in Sexton. I want someone that can run and set up an offense and be a slick passer with great vision.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,805

Post#303 » by cgf » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:02 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
cgf wrote:If Cleveland hesitates on paying Sexton and Kemba looks done-done by season's end; how would folks feel about something like:

Cleveland in: Quickley, Noel, NYK/DAL 2023 FRP
New York in: Sexton at 4yrs 80-90M
Team 3 in: Kemba, NYK/DAL 2023 FRP

2022-2023 roster:
Robinson | Gibson | Sims
Randle | Toppin
Barrett | Grimes
Fournier | Burks
Sexton | Rose | McBride
+
NYK 2022 FRP, full-MLE, BAE

I'd rather have a real PG over a PG sized SG in Sexton. I want someone that can run and set up an offense and be a slick passer with great vision.

In a vacuum, so would I. But with the playmaking we get from the frontcourt already, I think it's more important for us to add a reliable self-creator to the backcourt. Never mind if RJ's off the dribble game takes a big step next year and he can become even more of a playmaker next to Julius...who the offense will still run through anyway.

Plus Sexton seems like a very Thibs kinda guy and he may still be young enough to be moldable.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,596

Post#304 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:23 am

Is Colin Sexton a better, obviously younger, version of Kemba?
Free Palestine
cgf
RealGM

Post#305 » by cgf » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:31 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Is Colin Sexton a better, obviously younger, version of Kemba?

He's even more score-first than Walker was...Kemba topped an assist rate of 29% 5-times with Charlotte, while Sexton's peak so far has been 22.6%*...otherwise, that's kinda what I've been thinking. If we could get him while keeping much of our ammo for a future trade, that could be a really nice way to solidify ourselves as ECF contenders who were a Kawhi/Jimmy trade away from winning it all.

Plus he'd fit right in with our gym-rat core & seems like he'd respond well to Thibs.

*which is not far from where Kemba has been since leaving Charlotte; 24.2%, 23.8%, & 16.7% so far this season.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,596

Post#306 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:34 pm

cgf wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Is Colin Sexton a better, obviously younger, version of Kemba?

He's even more score-first than Walker was...Kemba topped an assist rate of 29% 5-times with Charlotte, while Sexton's peak so far has been 22.6%*...otherwise, that's kinda what I've been thinking. If we could get him while keeping much of our ammo for a future trade, that could be a really nice way to solidify ourselves as ECF contenders who were a Kawhi/Jimmy trade away from winning it all.

Plus he'd fit right in with our gym-rat core & seems like he'd respond well to Thibs.

*which is not far from where Kemba has been since leaving Charlotte; 24.2%, 23.8%, & 16.7% so far this season.

I’m warming up to the idea but his 3-point shooting still looks suspect. And we’d probably have to give some combination of our young players and draft picks. Sexton was 0-4 from 3 in the Cavs win against the Clips last night but had 26 points, 7 rebounds but only 1 measly assist against 5 turnovers. That would be maddening here.
Free Palestine
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,105

Post#307 » by moocow007 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:44 pm

If team chemistry is important (and for any team hoping to win anything it should be very important) I would seriously look into why Sexton has a reputation as a guy that his teammates don't like at all. If it was all just about talent then Isiah Thomas would have done better than he did in his disastrous reign and Knicks head bottle washer.
cgf
RealGM

Post#308 » by cgf » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:59 pm

moocow007 wrote:If team chemistry is important (and for any team hoping to win anything it should be very important) I would seriously look into why Sexton has a reputation as a guy that his teammates don't like at all. If it was all just about talent then Isiah Thomas would have done better than he did in his disastrous reign and Knicks head bottle washer.

Don't you mean "look into why that one anonymous scout said that Sexton's teammates don't like him" before his teammates & former teammates quickly refuted the claim...or have there been other claims that Sexton isn't liked?

Either way, that's definitely part of the due diligence that the FO has to do about any potential acquisition...but if he checks out, he could be a very interesting option to improve this team while maintaining our flexibility to make the right "big swing" when the time comes.

cgf
RealGM

Post#309 » by cgf » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:05 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
cgf wrote:

I’m warming up to the idea but his 3-point shooting still looks suspect. And we’d probably have to give some combination of our young players and draft picks. Sexton was 0-4 from 3 in the Cavs win against the Clips last night but had 26 points, 7 rebounds but only 1 measly assist against 5 turnovers. That would be maddening here.

He's a career 38.3% shooter from 3, with a lot of them being unassisted...so I'd expect his % to rise as the season goes on & the sample size increases. He's been a very efficient score throughout his career, despite the lack of help he has gotten.

He's not much of a playmaker...unless Thibs can change his game...but that's why I wouldn't be as interested if we didn't run our offense through Julius and if both RJ & Obi didn't show intriguing vision for their positions.

spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,819

Post#310 » by spree2kawhi » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:03 am

cgf wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
cgf wrote:He's even more score-first than Walker was...Kemba topped an assist rate of 29% 5-times with Charlotte, while Sexton's peak so far has been 22.6%*...otherwise, that's kinda what I've been thinking. If we could get him while keeping much of our ammo for a future trade, that could be a really nice way to solidify ourselves as ECF contenders who were a Kawhi/Jimmy trade away from winning it all.

He's a career 38.3% shooter from 3, with a lot of them being unassisted...so I'd expect his % to rise as the season goes on & the sample size increases. He's been a very efficient score throughout his career, despite the lack of help he has gotten.

He's not much of a playmaker...unless Thibs can change his game...but that's why I wouldn't be as interested if we didn't run our offense through Julius and if both RJ & Obi didn't show intriguing vision for their positions.

It’s a very feasible solution IMO.

Sexton
Fournier?
RJ
Randle
Ayton
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,882

Post#311 » by KnixinSix » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:32 pm

Which stars or superstars are most likely to shake loose mid season?

KAT
Beal
Lillard
SGA
Sexton
Ayton
Booker
Paul
Someone else we are not thinking of?
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,878

Post#312 » by DaGawd » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:38 pm

KnixinSix wrote:Which stars or superstars are most likely to shake loose mid season?

KAT
Beal
Lillard
SGA
Sexton
Ayton
Booker
Paul

Of this list Id say

Sexton
Ayton
SGA

KAT

Lillard

In that order. Idk but I honestly feel Lillard means it when he speaks of his loyalty for the Blazers. Seems content just being a Blazer lifer/legend
BaF
Washington Wizards
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,882

Post#313 » by KnixinSix » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:46 pm

DaGawd wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:Which stars or superstars are most likely to shake loose mid season?

KAT
Beal
Lillard
SGA
Sexton
Ayton
Booker
Paul

Of this list Id say

Sexton
Ayton
SGA

KAT

Lillard

In that order. Idk but I honestly feel Lillard means it when he speaks of his loyalty for the Blazers. Seems content just being a Blazer lifer/legend

You could be right especially if the Blazers gel under Billups and he becomes another Monty Williams type coach.

I dont know if Sexton is move the needle enough for me with this teams current construction. KAT certainly would be and Ayton to a lesser extent. SGA if we use him between PG , SG , and occasional SF when we go small ball could be too.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
cgf
RealGM

Post#314 » by cgf » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:50 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
cgf wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

It’s a very feasible solution IMO.

Sexton
Fournier?
RJ
Randle
Ayton

It's a multi-step process & I dunno what that final step will be, but I do think we'd put ourselves in a great position to take that final step whenever it unveiled itself if we hit next season with:

Robinson | Gibson | Sims
Randle | Toppin
Barrett | Grimes
Fournier | Burks
Sexton | Rose | McBride
+ 2022 FRP, full MLE, & BAE

That's a team who can make a run at the final 4 as constructed. And one that would have the pieces to swing a Sexton / Barrett / Randle ++ for higher-level superstar trade that turned it into a title-winning big 3...assuming Thibs couldn't get them to Detroit their way to a ring.

Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,119

Post#315 » by Juco24 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:33 pm

I don't see that at all, honestly. Kemba is a much better shooter. Pick & roll architect. Sexton utilizes his athleticism and mid range game nicely but he plays like a sixth man whose job is to change the tempo of the game and dominates the ball.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,227

Post#316 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:23 pm

Trade all the youth and picks for Dame. I want to see people lose their sh*t.
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#317 » by KnickFan33 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:46 pm

Early in the season, but it looks like the Sabonis/Turner experiment still isn't working. I presume Turner is more likely to get moved. We got anything that might be of interest to Indiana?

On the other hand, if he isn't a fit with Sabonis, could he fit with Randle?
ADeP7
Starter
And1: 2,449

Post#318 » by ADeP7 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:52 pm

Pacers want a lot for Turner otherwise Knicks would have already added him To be insurance for Mitch.

As far as hopes for Knicks

SGA and Mitchell are the choices for where Knicks will throw all there assets at.

Booker is the one that I’m curious to see what goes on in Phoenix. Some people I’ve talked to believe that if the ayton situation goes badly then Dont think Booker just re ups in 2 years
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#319 » by KnickFan33 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:34 pm

ADeP7 wrote:Pacers want a lot for Turner otherwise Knicks would have already added him To be insurance for Mitch.

SGA and Mitchell are the choices for where Knicks will throw all there assets at.

Booker is the one that I’m curious to see what goes on in Phoenix. Some people I’ve talked to believe that if the ayton situation goes badly then Dont think Booker just re ups in 2 years

Would OKC really be interested in a package of our young players for SGA? I find it highly unlikely that they're looking for any vets.

Mitchell being made available kind of blows my mind.
ADeP7
Starter
And1: 2,449

Post#320 » by ADeP7 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:45 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:
ADeP7 wrote:Pacers want a lot for Turner otherwise Knicks would have already added him To be insurance for Mitch.

Would OKC really be interested in a package of our young players for SGA? I find it highly unlikely that they're looking for any vets.

Mitchell being made available kind of blows my mind.

So as far as what I can say. SGA signed that extension but has made it known if they aren’t looking to win he wants to be dealt.
Mitchell no matter what is said about him wanting to win in Utah will be out of there eventually and I would not believe for one second that him and gobert are close and not mad at each other

Return to New York Knicks