ImageImageImageImageImage

Trades and Transactions, 2022 Edition

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,451

Re: Trades and Transactions, 2022 Edition 

Post#941 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:12 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

So Mitchell to Miami it is while the Knicks are teased

Pretty much. LeBron 2.0, though he is a big Mets fan. His dad works (or worked) for the team.
Free Palestine
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#942 » by Oscirus » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:42 pm

Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Huey Freeman
General Manager
And1: 878

Post#943 » by Huey Freeman » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:14 pm

These dudes couldn't even get to the Final 4.

AND 3 1st rd picks?
Revolution starts in the mind...
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#944 » by F N 11 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:48 pm

[instagram][/instagram]

Imagine Obi getting stuck behind Randle damn. McBride and Grimes still here. We lit, I will make that trade.

People really forgetting Zion was nice. 27 PPG his second season without trying lol.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
ag3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,403

Post#945 » by ag3 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:27 pm

If Mitchell is really available give them anything they want pick wise. He’s a cornerstone piece and young.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,451

Post#946 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:36 pm

ag3 wrote:If Mitchell is really available give them anything they want pick wise. He’s a cornerstone piece and young.

I’ll take a stab at it. The money has to match up or close to it, I guess.

1. Fournier ($18M)
2. Noel or Burks ($10M)
3. Obi
4. IQ or Grimes
5. 2 FRPs

Too much, too little, or just right?
Free Palestine
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,359

Post#947 » by Ray Williams » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:55 am

Obi
Burks
2022 #1
For Myles Turner

Quickley
Dallas #1
For Brunson

C/PF
Mitch
Randall
Myles Turner

SF/2G
Cam
RJ
Grimes

PG
Jalen Brunson
Rose/ Deuce
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#948 » by Marty McFly » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:42 am

I don't think the telegraphing can get be any more obvious about what the knicks intentions are. I think they'll do everything they can to get Zion as quickly as possible. him being injured and out of shape might actually make the Pels pull the trigger if its a godfather type deal even with him being on a rookie scale contract still.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#949 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:40 pm

Rather get B.Ingram, N.Alexander Walker and J.Hart.
HopelessKnick
Starter
And1: 1,524

Post#950 » by HopelessKnick » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:44 pm

Brunson, Turner and Grant are the only realistic "rumored" names. Especially Brunson as he is a very solid young PG that has a pretty solid overall game on offense without any glaring holes. Shifty, superb midrange shooter and adequate from three (36%ish). He is definitely a very solid starter in the league---without Doncic he averaged 19/8 on very good percentages.

The Knicks have the trade pieces to get it done as well. I assume the Mavericks would be more willing to do a sign-and-trade in the offseason where they get their pick back and the Knicks would likely be very willing to do that. The FO is said to be super high on Brunson.

The other mentioned names like Fox, Haliburton, Sexton etc. may have more potential, but are not really more efficient or truly better at this point but would cost much much more. I actually expect some sort of Brunson to Knicks at the deadline or in the offseason. I see the Mavericks being hesitant to move him during the season but I fully expect Brunson to be our starting PG come next season.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,584

Post#951 » by Swish1906 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:03 pm

So why again the Mavs as win now/playoff team would trade away Brunson (their 3rd best player) to get their 2023 pick back? Which is either again in the 20s or stays with the Mavs anyway in a worst case scenario because of its top 10 protection?

Uff... Mavs are paying Brunson. They have with Green a solid young player, they have their 2022 FRP...so the last thing they need is to trade a Player away to get that pick back
HopelessKnick
Starter

Post#952 » by HopelessKnick » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:25 pm

Swish1906 wrote:So why again the Mavs as win now/playoff team would trade away Brunson (their 3rd best player) to get their 2023 pick back? Which is either again in the 20s or stays with the Mavs anyway in a worst case scenario because of its top 10 protection?

Uff... Mavs are paying Brunson. They have with Green a solid young player, they have their 2022 FRP...so the last thing they need is to trade a Player away to get that pick back

That's why I said the Mavericks would be more likely to do a sign-and-trade in the offseason and hesitant to move him midseason. Reading helps.

As for the rest: It surely depends on what Brunson is thinking. If he intends to stay and is fine with remaining the secondary ball-handler behind Doncic, then he may just stay in Dallas. If however he intends to be a starting PG/primary ball-handler on a team he has to move because Doncic will always be the primary ball-handler in Dallas. It really depends on how Brunson views himself.

That aside, Brunson is an unrestricted Free agent and you can expect teams having interest in him and trying to sign him---possibly driving the price high to a point where the Mavericks may be more comfortable sign-and-trading him and getting assets back.

Considering his contract situation, there are many thinkable scenarios where he may end up with a different team. It is of course also entirely possible he is completely happy with the Mavs, his role and intends fully to stay.

As for the remark about the pick: That is your opinion---when the Mavs traded the pick they thought they're getting an all-star calibur player back---otherwise teams are generally reluctant trading FRPs. The Mavericks are always one 6-8 week Doncic injury away from the picks being in the lottery range and I'm sure they'd trade Brunson for a, say 12th pick. And it is not like the Mavs are a top 5 lock in the west. Again, a scenario where with a little bit of bad luck here and there the Mavs could end up in a play-in situation is feasable and thus getting back the FRP is likely gonna have some value for some----even if it is just in regards of packaging future FRPs in a trade for a star-player to pair with Doncic. Without the 2023 FRP the Mavs cannot trade their 2022 pick or 2024 pick---severaly limiting their options in putting together a convincing offer for a star-player. Getting Doncic a big name is surely the Mavericks first priority, and they'll do anything to achieve that.
For you the pick does not hold that much value because you simply view it as a pick in the 20-25 range in a vacuum---but like I said--not having the pick does limit the Mavericks ability to get a second big name as it would surely have to involve mutiple picks as Porzingis holds little value and the Mavericks do not have the player-trade-material that would net them a second star. Packaging 2-3 FRPs may signifciantly increase that chance.
Swish1906
Head Coach

Post#953 » by Swish1906 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:34 pm

HopelessKnick wrote:
Swish1906 wrote:So why again the Mavs as win now/playoff team would trade away Brunson (their 3rd best player) to get their 2023 pick back? Which is either again in the 20s or stays with the Mavs anyway in a worst case scenario because of its top 10 protection?

That's why I said the Mavericks would be more likely to do a sign-and-trade in the offseason and hesitant to move him midseason. Reading helps.

As for the rest: It surely depends on what Brunson is thinking. If he intends to stay and is fine with remaining the secondary ball-handler behind Doncic, then he may just stay in Dallas. If however he intends to be a starting PG/primary ball-handler on a team he has to move because Doncic will always be the primary ball-handler in Dallas. It really depends on how Brunson views himself.

That aside, Brunson is an unrestricted Free agent and you can expect teams having interest in him and trying to sign him---possibly driving the price high to a point where the Mavericks may be more comfortable sign-and-trading him and getting assets back.

Considering his contract situation, there are many thinkable scenarios where he may end up with a different team. It is of course also entirely possible he is completely happy with the Mavs, his role and intends fully to stay.

1) Im pretty confident the Mavs are willing to pay him market value
2) You do realize that in a S&T the Mavs have to take salary back because you dont own a giant TE? So the Mavs arent willing to pay Brunson a ton of money but they be willing to take back the same salary for at least one year just to get some assets? Again, the Mavs pick is little value for the Mavs. And no, the Mavs dont want Randle and his giant contract. He doesnt fit the team and even when the Mavs had cap space and he was a FA twice they was never interested in him.
3) I bet you 50 bucks that Brunson isnt the Knicks starting PG next year. He may isnt on the Mavs but he wont be on the Knicks via S&T
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#954 » by DowNY » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:42 pm

I know a lot of y’all stopped thinking about this situation but I think with the emergence of Anfernee Simons & down year + possibly being out the rest of the season of Dame, we might knock on that door this offseason.

I think it’s a scenario where we keep most of the starting lineup too.

Start with Obi & IQ. Both young promising players to go with Simons and help start the rebuild. Obi is exciting & would have opportunity there. IQ torched the Blazers a few times and would be a good guard next to Simons. Plus Obi & IQ are really close.

Next you throw in Kemba as the expiring mentor PG for Simons and cap filler.
Then add in Fournier to also fill out the cap filler but give them another SG/SF to replace CJ.

Finish the offer with draft picks. Couple 1sts and 2nds.

Damian Lillard - Derrick Rose
RJ Barrett - Quentin Grimes
Cam Reddish - Alec Burks
Julius Randle - Taj or someone
Mitch Robinson - Nerlens
Monk1718
RealGM
And1: 17,583

Post#955 » by Monk1718 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:43 pm

Fats here yet?
HopelessKnick
Starter

Post#956 » by HopelessKnick » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:45 pm

Swish1906 wrote:
HopelessKnick wrote:

1) Im pretty confident the Mavs are willing to pay him market value
2) You do realize that in a S&T the Mavs have to take salary back because you dont own a giant TE? So the Mavs arent willing to pay Brunson a ton of money but they be willing to take back the same salary for at least one year just to get some assets? Again, the Mavs pick is little value for the Mavs. And no, the Mavs dont want Randle and his giant contract. He doesnt fit the team and even when the Mavs had cap space and he was a FA twice they was never interested in him.
3) I bet you 50 bucks that Brunson isnt the Knicks starting PG next year. He may isnt on the Mavs but he wont be on the Knicks via S&T

Well you do not seem to understand how not having the 2023 FRP restricts the Mavericks ability to put together trade offers for a star players so I'll just leave it at that.

As for the Knicks and Brunson: It completely depends on how much the Knicks want him as they could easily create the necessary cap space to sign him outright: Rose, Noel, Burks are easily movable, only one year remaining after this season (you may have to attach something to Noel to make some team take him but at 1year and 10 Million it won't be much (Rose and Burks will be valuable to other teams for 1 year and 10-14 million so that they could trade them without attaching anything).

The whole Brunson situation depends only on Brunson---if he wants to stay in Dallas he'll stay. If he wants to leave and join NYK as much as the FO is rumored to want him---then there is nothing the Mavericks can do to prevent that. The Knicks contract situation is flexible enough for the Knicks to be able to create enough capspace to sign him outright. It would take some maneuvering but it could surely be done. If the Knicks see Brunson as their future starting PG and Brunson would want to leave the Mavericks and join the Knicks, then the Mavericks could literally do nothing to prevent that.

The only question of importance here is: Is Brunson content being the secondary ball-handler behind Doncic? If he is happy fulfilling that role and generally happy otherwise, he'll stay. If he wants to be the primary ball-handler/starting PG with the ability to possibly average 8-9 assists a game and be more of a floor general---then he'll look at other teams. He can walk, leaving the Mavericks with nothing so that the Mavericks options (IF Brunson wants a different role) are limited. That's the truth of the situation.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,148

Post#957 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:57 pm

I'd doubt they want to trade him now because they'd like to be a pathetic borderline playoff team just like the Knicks.

But maybe in the offseason Brunson just wants to go, and he's a UFA and Dallas can't stop it.
Over than massively overpaying, and maybe that just doesn't do it.

Anything that would happen, would happen after the season is over.
If it happens.
HopelessKnick
Starter

Post#958 » by HopelessKnick » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:57 pm

I could easily see a scenario where the Knicks trade Burks and Noel and some smaller contract and be able to open up 15 million in capspace to sign Brunson outright. It is absolutely realistic and feasable.

You'd just have to call up OKC and attach the Mavs pick to two 1 year contracts and they'd likely jump on that.

Again though, all this dependent on two things:

1) The rumors of the Knicks FO being extremely interested in Brunson being true.
2) Brunson even intending on leaving the Mavericks.

If both 1) and 2) are true, then the Knicks have the means to get it done---either via sign-and-trade, via creating capspace or a trade. The Mavericks position and leverage (again IF Brunson wants to leave) is extremely limited. And I don't think Brunson would want to leave the Mavericks as an organization (because the Mavericks are generally viewed as a good organization), but it is entirely feasable that he would want to take "the next step" at 25 years old and become the floor leader, primary ball-handler on a different team.
Swish1906
Head Coach

Post#959 » by Swish1906 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:04 pm

15m doesnt get you Brunson. he is going to get easily 17-18m and yes, the Mavs would offer that and worry about lux tax later.

brunson would know he plays for the entire length of the contract as backcourt partner of Luka and pretty much have the playoffs guaranteed. Dude is a winner, i doubt he would sign for a lottery/borderline bubble team just to be "the man" in the backcourt. Thats not him.

I also think the whole Knicks angle with his dad is overblown. Dude is as example still a die hard Eagles fans. I think the Knicks have better chances to put a bug into Donovan Mitchells ears so he forces a trade the AD. That guy is craving big market attention.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,148

Post#960 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:05 pm

HopelessKnick wrote:I could easily see a scenario where the Knicks trade Burks and Noel and some smaller contract and be able to open up 15 million in capspace to sign Brunson outright. It is absolutely realistic and feasable.

You'd just have to call up OKC and attach the Mavs pick to two 1 year contracts and they'd likely jump on that.

That's exactly something OKC would do and something Aller would think of.

I'll continue to enjoy seeing the Mavs having to scrape together the remains of WCS and Chriss in their C rotation.

Return to New York Knicks