ImageImageImageImageImage

Trades and Transactions, 2022 Edition

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,322

Re: Trades and Transactions, 2022 Edition 

Post#961 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:06 pm

Mavs playoffs guaranteed. Lolz.

Glad to see the Mavs have r*tard fans too.

It's generally the 'tard ones who are forum jumpers
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,322

Post#962 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:09 pm

I sense a BODs post upcoming
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#963 » by Marty McFly » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:14 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:

Rather get B.Ingram, N.Alexander Walker and J.Hart.

none of those guys are in his stratosphere when he's healthy.

Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
HopelessKnick
Starter
And1: 1,540

Post#964 » by HopelessKnick » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:18 pm

Swish1906 wrote:15m doesnt get you Brunson. he is going to get easily 17-18m and yes, the Mavs would offer that and worry about lux tax later.

brunson would know he plays for the entire length of the contract as backcourt partner of Luka and pretty much have the playoffs guaranteed. Dude is a winner, i doubt he would sign for a lottery/borderline bubble team just to be "the man" in the backcourt. Thats not him.

I also think the whole Knicks angle with his dad is overblown. Dude is as example still a die hard Eagles fans. I think the Knicks have better chances to put a bug into Donovan Mitchells ears so he forces a trade the AD. That guy is craving big market attention.

It was more a general suggestion of the Knicks ability to create enough capspace. The cap was at roughly 110 million last season. The Knicks will be 10 million over that, having multiple contracts that are easily movable. The Knicks could easily create 15-20 million in capspace....without having to give up much in terms of picks or young prospects.

As for Brunson----see above. Could be that he is happy with his role and wants to stay---could be otherwise. At this point in time the Mavericks are just slightly better than the Knicks and both teams are not serious contenders. If you switch Brunson from Dallas to NY it could even make the Knicks slightly better than the Mavericks. The Mavericks are not good enough where it would be a no-brainer for Brunson. I think for Brunson the deciding factor is if he is happy in his role on the Mavericks or if he wants something more. That's the truly deciding factor here.

You could also view it from a different perspective: The Mavericks have committed 100 million to Doncic, Porzingis and Hardaway and that is not going to change for the next 2,5 years (getting rid of Porzingis and/or Hardaway would cost the Mavericks in terms of picks and young prospects---Porzingis may even be entirely unmovable). So there is almost no realy feasable route for the Mavericks to significantly upgrade their team until 2025. Sure the Mavericks have Doncic as a top 5 player in this league and one of the most exciting players---but for the immediate future very little ways of significantly upgrading their roster---especially given the fact that with the Knicks holding the 2023 pick they can't trade a first rounder until 2025---what team is gonna give up a star-player for a first rounder 3+ years into the future?

Again, all this is moot if Brunson is happy and wants to stay---but I can assure you that getting back the 2023 FRP is likely gonna hold much more value for the Mavericks than you believe. This is not a 20-25th pick in a vacuum (like you seem to view it)---it frees them up to put some significant offer on the table like packaging the 2022+2024+2026 pick along with something else for a star player.

As for Mitchell: I wish you were right....I'd give up anything including MSG for Mitchell. Truth of the matter is that the guy is signed for 5 more years and he'd have to go into Ben Simmons mode and force his way here.....really not that realistic IMO.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#965 » by DowNY » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:27 pm

HopelessKnick wrote:
Swish1906 wrote:15m doesnt get you Brunson. he is going to get easily 17-18m and yes, the Mavs would offer that and worry about lux tax later.

brunson would know he plays for the entire length of the contract as backcourt partner of Luka and pretty much have the playoffs guaranteed. Dude is a winner, i doubt he would sign for a lottery/borderline bubble team just to be "the man" in the backcourt. Thats not him.

I also think the whole Knicks angle with his dad is overblown. Dude is as example still a die hard Eagles fans. I think the Knicks have better chances to put a bug into Donovan Mitchells ears so he forces a trade the AD. That guy is craving big market attention.

It was more a general suggestion of the Knicks ability to create enough capspace. The cap was at roughly 110 million last season. The Knicks will be 10 million over that, having multiple contracts that are easily movable. The Knicks could easily create 15-20 million in capspace....without having to give up much in terms of picks or young prospects.

As for Brunson----see above. Could be that he is happy with his role and wants to stay---could be otherwise. At this point in time the Mavericks are just slightly better than the Knicks and both teams are not serious contenders. If you switch Brunson from Dallas to NY it could even make the Knicks slightly better than the Mavericks. The Mavericks are not good enough where it would be a no-brainer for Brunson. I think for Brunson the deciding factor is if he is happy in his role on the Mavericks or if he wants something more. That's the truly deciding factor here.

You could also view it from a different perspective: The Mavericks have committed 100 million to Doncic, Porzingis and Hardaway and that is not going to change for the next 2,5 years (getting rid of Porzingis and/or Hardaway would cost the Mavericks in terms of picks and young prospects---Porzingis may even be entirely unmovable). So there is almost no realy feasable route for the Mavericks to significantly upgrade their team until 2025. Sure the Mavericks have Doncic as a top 5 player in this league and one of the most exciting players---but for the immediate future very little ways of significantly upgrading their roster---especially given the fact that with the Knicks holding the 2023 pick they can't trade a first rounder until 2025---what team is gonna give up a star-player for a first rounder 3+ years into the future?

Again, all this is moot if Brunson is happy and wants to stay---but I can assure you that getting back the 2023 FRP is likely gonna hold much more value for the Mavericks than you believe. This is not a 20-25th pick in a vacuum (like you seem to view it)---it frees them up to put some significant offer on the table like packaging the 2022+2024+2026 pick along with something else for a star player.

As for Mitchell: I wish you were right....I'd give up anything including MSG for Mitchell. Truth of the matter is that the guy is signed for 5 more years and he'd have to go into Ben Simmons mode and force his way here.....really not that realistic IMO.

I’m confused as to why this guy thinks the Mavericks are so good in the first place, let alone better than the Knicks now & in the future. With or without Brunson on either team.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#966 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:28 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:I'll continue to enjoy seeing the Mavs having to scrape together the remains of WCS and Chriss in their C rotation.

WCS was cut in order for the Mavs to sign Chriss.
HopelessKnick
Starter

Post#967 » by HopelessKnick » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:30 pm

I'd actually go even further and suggest that the Mavericks' only somewhat feasable way of getting a second star player next to Doncic is through their ability to package 2-3 first rounders. To do that they need the rights to their 2023 pick back. Otherwise I see no way for the Mavericks to put a second star next to Doncic and in turn I highly doubt that Doncic would have the same commitment to the Mavericks 2-3 years down the road and a couple more first round exits. If the Mavericks want to replicate with Doncic what they did with Drik they have to find a way to put a second star next to Doncic within the very immediate future or they'll run the risk of losing him. In that quest, having the 2023 pick is essential.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#968 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:47 pm

HopelessKnick wrote:I'd actually go even further and suggest that the Mavericks' only somewhat feasable way of getting a second star player next to Doncic is through their ability to package 2-3 first rounders. To do that they need the rights to their 2023 pick back. Otherwise I see no way for the Mavericks to put a second star next to Doncic and in turn I highly doubt that Doncic would have the same commitment to the Mavericks 2-3 years down the road and a couple more first round exits. If the Mavericks want to replicate with Doncic what they did with Drik they have to find a way to put a second star next to Doncic within the very immediate future or they'll run the risk of losing him. In that quest, having the 2023 pick is essential.

cbafaq: "Teams are required to have only a first round pick, and not necessarily their own first round pick."

If the Mavs want a 2023 pick (eg in order to trade the 2022 pick) it doesn't have to be their own.
HopelessKnick
Starter

Post#969 » by HopelessKnick » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:54 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
HopelessKnick wrote:I'd actually go even further and suggest that the Mavericks' only somewhat feasable way of getting a second star player next to Doncic is through their ability to package 2-3 first rounders. To do that they need the rights to their 2023 pick back. Otherwise I see no way for the Mavericks to put a second star next to Doncic and in turn I highly doubt that Doncic would have the same commitment to the Mavericks 2-3 years down the road and a couple more first round exits. If the Mavericks want to replicate with Doncic what they did with Drik they have to find a way to put a second star next to Doncic within the very immediate future or they'll run the risk of losing him. In that quest, having the 2023 pick is essential.

cbafaq: "Teams are required to have only a first round pick, and not necessarily their own first round pick."

If the Mavs want a 2023 pick (eg in order to trade the 2022 pick) it doesn't have to be their own.

Thanks for clearing it up. Still, they have 3 players that other teams would consider giving up a FRP: Kleber, Brunson and Smith. So if they want a FRP they'd likely have to trade one of the three. And Kleber being a stretch already.
HopelessKnick
Starter

Post#970 » by HopelessKnick » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:58 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:

I'm sure there was a rule a couple years back where teams were prohibited from trading successive FRPs---like you couldn't trade your 2022 and 2023 FRP. Are you sure it has changed?

So if the Mavs get the Lakers 2023 pick, they could then trade their 2024 FRP?
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,625

Post#971 » by Swish1906 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:59 pm

I dont see it that way at all. Pairing another "star" with Luka via trade and a 2023 and 2025 pick becomes immediatly borderline worthless (#25 or worse etc) for the other team and not that big of an argument.

At draft night they could allready throw in Green + 2022 FRP in a trade package anyway .Ah and most of the stars change teams through tampering/buddying up. You dont even need the best trade package anymore. In general giving away Brunson just to be able to offer someone picks with low value (Luka too good), thats suicide

Dont think they do a major trade anyway. They are 8-1 in their last 9 games, 8 teams couldnt even score 100 points, Top-5 defense since weeks and in general 24-19 with Luka/KP/Brunson just sharing the court in 15 of 43 games. They are flying under the radar...
HopelessKnick
Starter

Post#972 » by HopelessKnick » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:03 pm

I found this article:

"Yet perhaps more importantly, New York acquired Dallas' 2023 first-round pick in the Kristaps Porzingis deal. That pick holds particular value to the Mavericks, not necessarily because it is going to be high, but because of how it affects their other picks. The protections on that 2023 pick essentially prevent the Mavericks from trading any other first-round picks until 2027. Getting their own pick back would make it far easier to deal other picks. If the Mavericks hope to overhaul their roster in the next few years, they'll need access to their full complement of draft picks for future deals."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/knicks-trade-rumors-mavericks-guard-jalen-brunson-on-new-yorks-radar-per-report/

If that is true then it is actually close to a no-brainer for the Mavericks to try to get that pick back.
HopelessKnick
Starter

Post#973 » by HopelessKnick » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:11 pm

Swish1906 wrote:

I dont see it that way at all. Pairing another "star" with Luka via trade and a 2023 and 2025 pick becomes immediatly borderline worthless (#25 or worse etc) for the other team and not that big of an argument.

At draft night they could allready throw in Green + 2022 FRP in a trade package anyway .Ah and most of the stars change teams through tampering/buddying up. You dont even need the best trade package anymore. In general giving away Brunson just to be able to offer someone picks with low value (Luka too good), thats suicide

Dont think they do a major trade anyway. They are 8-1 in their last 9 games, 8 teams couldnt even score 100 points, Top-5 defense since weeks and in general 24-19 with Luka/KP/Brunson just sharing the court in 15 of 43 games. They are flying under the radar...

The playoffs will ultimately show if you are right or not. To me at this point the Mavericks look like a 45-48 win team and first round exit. With their contract situation and FRP situation I don't see a feasable avenue where they can get another star player there. But time will tell---if they go on a deep playoff run and Brunson plays a significant role in that then chances of him remaining there increase a lot. If the Mavs lose in the first round, I think it is an entirely different story. Brunson is likely the only player on the Mavericks holding significant trade (or Sign-and-trade) value and I don't think the Mavs can afford another first round exit and then "not shake things up".
HopelessKnick
Starter

Post#974 » by HopelessKnick » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:14 pm

Swish1906 wrote:

This is how fans usually view it when multiple FRPs get dealt for a player but FOs look at it differently. Just look at the Lakers and Clippers---everyone thought that all the FRPs that were traded for AD, Kawhi and George were essentially worthless but today they all look like mid first round picks. As long as there is not heavy protection on the pick , opposing teams will always view the Mavericks pick as being one Luca injury away from being extremely valuable. And we are obviously talking a situation here where a team has some difficult situation with a star player and wants to reshuffle etc (like with Paul George etc.)
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#975 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:43 pm

HopelessKnick wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:

I'm sure there was a rule a couple years back where teams were prohibited from trading successive FRPs---like you couldn't trade your 2022 and 2023 FRP. Are you sure it has changed?

So if the Mavs get the Lakers 2023 pick, they could then trade their 2024 FRP?

I believe so, provided the Lakers 2023 pick is either untraded or traded unconditionally (ie with no restrictions on its conveying)

[edit] This is what you need for information on trading picks: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q89
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#976 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:50 pm

HopelessKnick wrote:I found this article:

"Yet perhaps more importantly, New York acquired Dallas' 2023 first-round pick in the Kristaps Porzingis deal. That pick holds particular value to the Mavericks, not necessarily because it is going to be high, but because of how it affects their other picks. The protections on that 2023 pick essentially prevent the Mavericks from trading any other first-round picks until 2027. Getting their own pick back would make it far easier to deal other picks. If the Mavericks hope to overhaul their roster in the next few years, they'll need access to their full complement of draft picks for future deals."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/knicks-trade-rumors-mavericks-guard-jalen-brunson-on-new-yorks-radar-per-report/

If that is true then it is actually close to a no-brainer for the Mavericks to try to get that pick back.

But they can just renounce the protections on the pick whenever they like.
HopelessKnick
Starter

Post#977 » by HopelessKnick » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:59 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
HopelessKnick wrote:I found this article:

But they can just renounce the protections on the pick whenever they like.

Wouldn't that be crazy dangerous? Imagine they renounce the protection, Doncic has some injury and the pick turns top 5? They'll get killed by their fanbase......I have personally never heard of a team renouncing the protection....or at least it must be extremely rare for a team to take that risk......especially if you are a team like the Mavs for the entire success hinges on a single player....

I'd actually prefer the Mavericks renouncing their protection on the pick instead of getting Brunson. If teams are healthy I see the Mavs as a fringe playoff team in the west behind Golden State, Phoenix, Utah, Memphis, Lakers, Denver and possibly Clippers. I also think 4-5 teams in the east are gonna have a better record. With protection I see the pick in the 14-20 range, without protection we are a 8 week Doncic injury away from it being top 10 at least. If the Mavs considered that I'd be very happy with that.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#978 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:13 pm

Marty McFly wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Exactly why^^
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#979 » by Marty McFly » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:22 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Exactly why^^

that's not a good enough reason anymore. guys can have career ending injuries these days and return to form. case in point.

Joel Embiid.

he's been an MVP candidate posting numbers slightly worse than Zion posts when healthy. he's legit generational.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,625

Post#980 » by Swish1906 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:22 pm

HopelessKnick wrote:
Swish1906 wrote:

The playoffs will ultimately show if you are right or not. To me at this point the Mavericks look like a 45-48 win team and first round exit. With their contract situation and FRP situation I don't see a feasable avenue where they can get another star player there. But time will tell---if they go on a deep playoff run and Brunson plays a significant role in that then chances of him remaining there increase a lot. If the Mavs lose in the first round, I think it is an entirely different story. Brunson is likely the only player on the Mavericks holding significant trade (or Sign-and-trade) value and I don't think the Mavs can afford another first round exit and then "not shake things up".

But your logic is flawed too. You say the Mavs should trade Brunson in the summer to get their 23 pick back, so that they can go shopping for a "star" with the 23 and 25 pick. So pretty much praying on luck that they even get someone better than Brunson in a trade. When they also just simply re-sign Brunson and start to shop him in november (combined with 21 FRP Green and the player selected in 22). If there is a star available, fine. If not also fine because they still have Brunson. And their future picks.

They also wont be afraid to pay Brunson. If they are scared of the lux tax: Powells final year is just 6m guaranteed. Klebers year is a team option, Bullocks MLE contract is moveable...and yes, even THJ with 3/53m isnt unmoveable.
So like i said, just no arguments for the Mavs to go the "trade Brunson to the Knicks" route. And i also just dont think Brunson would prefer to join the Knicks just to have a higher usage rate. He is always on the court in crunchtime and the main ballhandler beside Luka.

Return to New York Knicks