ImageImageImageImageImage

What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition

Moderators: NoLayupRule, Deeeez Knicks, GONYK, K-DOT, Capn'O, mrpoetryNmotion, Jeff Van Gully, j4remi, King of Canada, mpharris36, Thugger HBC

User avatar
K-DOT
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 17,225
And1: 27,896
Joined: Nov 25, 2016
Location: Dante's Purgatory, 2nd Terrace
       

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#21 » by K-DOT » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:06 pm

I think we need to pump the brakes on the whole "one of the best backcourts in the NBA" thing

When healthy, I'd say we're pretty good. Rose and Kemba are both good PGs, whoever you choose between RJ and Fournier to be the "SG" is solid for a starter, and Quick/Burks are good backups

I'd put the backcourt rotation as around average, because while we might have more depth, we don't have that same star power (unless Kemba returns to form, then it's a different story, but that's not super likely) the top teams have, and time and time again, it's proven that star power is more important than depth, though good depth does help

Also think it's a touch early to proclaim Rose&co as the saviors of the franchise, we had one good season which relied on a lot of guys overperforming, and now we've paid them to overperform. Overall, I can't think of any major misses off the top of my head, but we should wait and see if they've built a sustainable roster and can make the moves to get us into contention before crowning them. I think they most certainly can, but I'm gonna wait and see.
BAF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Sharife Cooper
Donovan Mitchell/Avery Bradley
Keldon Johnson/Josh Jackson
Cam Johnson/Darius Bazley
Evan Mobley/Vernon Carey Jr.

Check out our podcast, No Blood No Foul!:

Image
2020
Junior
Posts: 304
And1: 216
Joined: Sep 25, 2018
 

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#22 » by 2020 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:09 pm

K-DOT wrote:I think we need to pump the brakes on the whole "one of the best backcourts in the NBA" thing...

...we should wait and see if they've built a sustainable roster and can make the moves to get us into contention before crowning them.


No one is "crowning them" as the best team. He said one of the best overall backcourts (Kemba/Rose - Fournier, Quick) which I can see
User avatar
K-DOT
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 17,225
And1: 27,896
Joined: Nov 25, 2016
Location: Dante's Purgatory, 2nd Terrace
       

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#23 » by K-DOT » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:25 pm

2020 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:I think we need to pump the brakes on the whole "one of the best backcourts in the NBA" thing...

...we should wait and see if they've built a sustainable roster and can make the moves to get us into contention before crowning them.


No one is "crowning them" as the best team. He said one of the best overall backcourts (Kemba/Rose - Fournier, Quick) which I can see

I don't think you read my comment correctly

Please go back and try again, this time not just reading the first and last sentences and getting offended.
BAF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Sharife Cooper
Donovan Mitchell/Avery Bradley
Keldon Johnson/Josh Jackson
Cam Johnson/Darius Bazley
Evan Mobley/Vernon Carey Jr.

Check out our podcast, No Blood No Foul!:

Image
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 49,933
And1: 44,552
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: NYCAA Wildcats

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#24 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:49 pm

Since the topic makes me think of the song title each time, in it goes.

Image
User avatar
N Y K
RealGM
Posts: 14,562
And1: 7,847
Joined: Jan 18, 2015
       

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#25 » by N Y K » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:08 am

would nyk-mentality have a back up made since 2006 though? that would be impressive
User avatar
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
Posts: 14,136
And1: 4,878
Joined: Jan 06, 2005

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#26 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:28 am

KnickMan wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:Hide your kids, hide your Wingos. Mentality is back.


Another stupid response. I said one of the better overall backcourts, I didn't say the best. If they can stay healthy, why is this statement so hard to accept? I know Knick fans have been traumatized over the years for one reason or the other.

I have been a silent member of this forum for years, probably longer then some of you snarky, posters. Responses like this is why I seldom choose to post. Difficult to get a decent conversation going with so many know it alls.
In name it is top 5.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 71,185
And1: 36,091
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#27 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:53 am

Watch both Kemba and Rose go down with injuries/COVID.
KnickMan
Pro Prospect
Posts: 831
And1: 186
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:
       

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#28 » by KnickMan » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:51 pm

K-DOT wrote:I think we need to pump the brakes on the whole "one of the best backcourts in the NBA" thing

When healthy, I'd say we're pretty good. Rose and Kemba are both good PGs, whoever you choose between RJ and Fournier to be the "SG" is solid for a starter, and Quick/Burks are good backups

I'd put the backcourt rotation as around average, because while we might have more depth, we don't have that same star power (unless Kemba returns to form, then it's a different story, but that's not super likely) the top teams have, and time and time again, it's proven that star power is more important than depth, though good depth does help

Also think it's a touch early to proclaim Rose&co as the saviors of the franchise, we had one good season which relied on a lot of guys overperforming, and now we've paid them to overperform. Overall, I can't think of any major misses off the top of my head, but we should wait and see if they've built a sustainable roster and can make the moves to get us into contention before crowning them. I think they most certainly can, but I'm gonna wait and see.


Who is proclaiming Rose and Walker are Saviors? Why do we need to pump the brakes? If they can stay healthy, which was the original premise, I like our chances of having ONE OF The Best ALL AROUND backcourts. Nothing you have posted has changed my mind about that.
"Tier 1 Asset Accumulation"
http://www.greatfinancialoptions.com
KnickMan
Pro Prospect
Posts: 831
And1: 186
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:
       

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#29 » by KnickMan » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:56 pm

2020 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:I think we need to pump the brakes on the whole "one of the best backcourts in the NBA" thing...

...we should wait and see if they've built a sustainable roster and can make the moves to get us into contention before crowning them.


No one is "crowning them" as the best team. He said one of the best overall backcourts (Kemba/Rose - Fournier, Quick) which I can see


Don't know why it is so hard for folks to see this. I guess two decades of futility will do that to a fan base.
"Tier 1 Asset Accumulation"
http://www.greatfinancialoptions.com
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
Posts: 12,148
And1: 11,340
Joined: Jun 14, 2012
         

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#30 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:22 pm

"One of the best in the league" probably depends on the version of Kemba we're getting and I can understand K-Dot's thought that banking on Kemba being 100% healthy is probably not the safest bet here even though I'm more bullish on the Kemba signing than not.

That said I do think we have one of the more deeper backcourts in the league. Like yes if Kemba or Rose get hurt for a long time we probably go from a potential ceiling of a 3-6 seed to more of a fight our way into the playoffs kind of team, but I feel more confident this year than last year that we could survive some "load management" or small injury stretch games at the guard spot given what we saw from IQ, Grimes, and Deuce in summer league. We even have point Burks in our back pocket from last year that we know we could steal minutes with.

Kemba
Rose
Barrett
Fournier
IQ
Burks

Have all proven to be positive contributors on playoff teams at one point or another in their careers. Hard to find that kind of depth on a lot of rosters in the league.

That's why I think people who put us more in the "undecided" tier of the East are weighing too heavily the enigma of Kemba/Fournier and how the tradeoff of more offense for defense equates to more or less regular season success. I think that line of thinking brushes aside the thought that a big reason the Knicks were the 4 seed last year was because the bench unit absolutely murdered 2nd units consistently and that is all still in tact. Maybe with less COVID concerns and people seemingly in the stands that changes, but I think the case for the Knicks being a solid playoff team is a lot more straightforward than most of the teams we've seemingly been put in the same tier as and that has a lot to do with our backcourt depth now being a massive strength advantage over other middle of the road teams. 24-11 with Rose in the lineup last year is not a coincidence IMO and now the Knicks can basically pencil in 48 minutes of "Rose level" PG play every night even if Kemba is not the borderline all-NBA talent he once was.
User avatar
-YogiBiz-
Senior
Posts: 572
And1: 391
Joined: Jun 09, 2020
Location: Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, I don't play defense.
         

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#31 » by -YogiBiz- » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:35 pm

N Y K wrote:would nyk-mentality have a back up made since 2006 though? that would be impressive


It'd explain why he was so aggressive he had depth.
Image
User avatar
K-DOT
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 17,225
And1: 27,896
Joined: Nov 25, 2016
Location: Dante's Purgatory, 2nd Terrace
       

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#32 » by K-DOT » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:38 pm

KnickMan wrote:
K-DOT wrote:I think we need to pump the brakes on the whole "one of the best backcourts in the NBA" thing

When healthy, I'd say we're pretty good. Rose and Kemba are both good PGs, whoever you choose between RJ and Fournier to be the "SG" is solid for a starter, and Quick/Burks are good backups

I'd put the backcourt rotation as around average, because while we might have more depth, we don't have that same star power (unless Kemba returns to form, then it's a different story, but that's not super likely) the top teams have, and time and time again, it's proven that star power is more important than depth, though good depth does help

Also think it's a touch early to proclaim Rose&co as the saviors of the franchise, we had one good season which relied on a lot of guys overperforming, and now we've paid them to overperform. Overall, I can't think of any major misses off the top of my head, but we should wait and see if they've built a sustainable roster and can make the moves to get us into contention before crowning them. I think they most certainly can, but I'm gonna wait and see.


Who is proclaiming Rose and Walker are Saviors? Why do we need to pump the brakes? If they can stay healthy, which was the original premise, I like our chances of having ONE OF The Best ALL AROUND backcourts. Nothing you have posted has changed my mind about that.

That's because I was talking about Leon Rose, not Derrick. Why is that so hard for y'all to understand, do you just see that I disagree, then only skim the rest of it?

Also, putting "all around" doesn't change the fact that you called them "one of the best backcourts in the NBA," which is a hard sell when we don't have any All Star level talent in the backcourt as of right now. Depth matters, but star power is more important, it's been proven time and time again.
BAF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Sharife Cooper
Donovan Mitchell/Avery Bradley
Keldon Johnson/Josh Jackson
Cam Johnson/Darius Bazley
Evan Mobley/Vernon Carey Jr.

Check out our podcast, No Blood No Foul!:

Image
User avatar
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
Posts: 2,732
And1: 1,145
Joined: Mar 05, 2012

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#33 » by FreeSpiritNY » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:17 am

Bravo man bravo. Right on point!! Go Knicks!
User avatar
Dave DaButcher
Rookie
Posts: 1,226
And1: 2,863
Joined: May 16, 2017
     

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#34 » by Dave DaButcher » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:10 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
KnickMan
Pro Prospect
Posts: 831
And1: 186
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:
       

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#35 » by KnickMan » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:15 pm

K-DOT wrote:
KnickMan wrote:
K-DOT wrote:I think we need to pump the brakes on the whole "one of the best backcourts in the NBA" thing

When healthy, I'd say we're pretty good. Rose and Kemba are both good PGs, whoever you choose between RJ and Fournier to be the "SG" is solid for a starter, and Quick/Burks are good backups

I'd put the backcourt rotation as around average, because while we might have more depth, we don't have that same star power (unless Kemba returns to form, then it's a different story, but that's not super likely) the top teams have, and time and time again, it's proven that star power is more important than depth, though good depth does help

Also think it's a touch early to proclaim Rose&co as the saviors of the franchise, we had one good season which relied on a lot of guys overperforming, and now we've paid them to overperform. Overall, I can't think of any major misses off the top of my head, but we should wait and see if they've built a sustainable roster and can make the moves to get us into contention before crowning them. I think they most certainly can, but I'm gonna wait and see.


Who is proclaiming Rose and Walker are Saviors? Why do we need to pump the brakes? If they can stay healthy, which was the original premise, I like our chances of having ONE OF The Best ALL AROUND backcourts. Nothing you have posted has changed my mind about that.

That's because I was talking about Leon Rose, not Derrick. Why is that so hard for y'all to understand, do you just see that I disagree, then only skim the rest of it?

Also, putting "all around" doesn't change the fact that you called them "one of the best backcourts in the NBA," which is a hard sell when we don't have any All Star level talent in the backcourt as of right now. Depth matters, but star power is more important, it's been proven time and time again.


So who is proclaiming LEON Rose to be a savior??? Why not just give them credit for revamping our backcourt in one year from one of the worst, to one of the best overall especially in terms of depth. this was about the BACKCOURT, not the entire team.... I personally am very high on Grimes and McBride. Fournier and Walker are DEFINITE upgrades, I don't think that can be disputed.
"Tier 1 Asset Accumulation"
http://www.greatfinancialoptions.com
User avatar
BKlutch
RealGM
Posts: 12,826
And1: 9,102
Joined: Jan 11, 2015
Location: Jamaica, NY
     

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#36 » by BKlutch » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:33 pm

KnickMan wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
KnickMan wrote:
Who is proclaiming Rose and Walker are Saviors? Why do we need to pump the brakes? If they can stay healthy, which was the original premise, I like our chances of having ONE OF The Best ALL AROUND backcourts. Nothing you have posted has changed my mind about that.

That's because I was talking about Leon Rose, not Derrick. Why is that so hard for y'all to understand, do you just see that I disagree, then only skim the rest of it?

Also, putting "all around" doesn't change the fact that you called them "one of the best backcourts in the NBA," which is a hard sell when we don't have any All Star level talent in the backcourt as of right now. Depth matters, but star power is more important, it's been proven time and time again.


So who is proclaiming LEON Rose to be a savior??? Why not just give them credit for revamping our backcourt in one year from one of the worst, to one of the best overall especially in terms of depth. this was about the BACKCOURT, not the entire team.... I personally am very high on Grimes and McBride. Fournier and Walker are DEFINITE upgrades, I don't think that can be disputed.

I'm giddy with excitement just because we won't be starting El Fraud Pay-ton any more. But realistically, we're going to have to see how well our guards perform. I know you're happy to see the changes, but we didn't sign the second coming of Clyde Frazier.
.
.
.
Year 1: From 21 to 41 wins!
Year 2: Add Evan, Kemba, Mitch, and the draft picks!
2020
Junior
Posts: 304
And1: 216
Joined: Sep 25, 2018
 

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#37 » by 2020 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:35 pm

K-DOT wrote:
2020 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:I think we need to pump the brakes on the whole "one of the best backcourts in the NBA" thing...

...we should wait and see if they've built a sustainable roster and can make the moves to get us into contention before crowning them.


No one is "crowning them" as the best team. He said one of the best overall backcourts (Kemba/Rose - Fournier, Quick) which I can see

I don't think you read my comment correctly

Please go back and try again, this time not just reading the first and last sentences and getting offended.


I didn't get offended.

I was just pointing out how I agree with his statement given how each and every one of our backcourt guys can drop 20 points any given night with ease.
User avatar
robillionaire
RealGM
Posts: 21,340
And1: 25,357
Joined: Jul 12, 2015
Location: Asheville
       

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#38 » by robillionaire » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:25 pm

K-DOT wrote:
KnickMan wrote:
K-DOT wrote:I think we need to pump the brakes on the whole "one of the best backcourts in the NBA" thing

When healthy, I'd say we're pretty good. Rose and Kemba are both good PGs, whoever you choose between RJ and Fournier to be the "SG" is solid for a starter, and Quick/Burks are good backups

I'd put the backcourt rotation as around average, because while we might have more depth, we don't have that same star power (unless Kemba returns to form, then it's a different story, but that's not super likely) the top teams have, and time and time again, it's proven that star power is more important than depth, though good depth does help

Also think it's a touch early to proclaim Rose&co as the saviors of the franchise, we had one good season which relied on a lot of guys overperforming, and now we've paid them to overperform. Overall, I can't think of any major misses off the top of my head, but we should wait and see if they've built a sustainable roster and can make the moves to get us into contention before crowning them. I think they most certainly can, but I'm gonna wait and see.


Who is proclaiming Rose and Walker are Saviors? Why do we need to pump the brakes? If they can stay healthy, which was the original premise, I like our chances of having ONE OF The Best ALL AROUND backcourts. Nothing you have posted has changed my mind about that.

That's because I was talking about Leon Rose, not Derrick. Why is that so hard for y'all to understand, do you just see that I disagree, then only skim the rest of it?

Also, putting "all around" doesn't change the fact that you called them "one of the best backcourts in the NBA," which is a hard sell when we don't have any All Star level talent in the backcourt as of right now. Depth matters, but star power is more important, it's been proven time and time again.


If Kemba is healthy, yeah that might be a big if but that's the hypothetical here, he is an all-star level talent. He is a 4x all-star and was named a starter in the all-star game as recently as February 2020 and in that all-star game he scored 23 points. He is a star in the NBA
User avatar
RHODEY
RealGM
Posts: 13,451
And1: 8,525
Joined: May 18, 2007
Location: Straight out of a comic book

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#39 » by RHODEY » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:27 am

K-DOT wrote:I think we need to pump the brakes on the whole "one of the best backcourts in the NBA" thing

When healthy, I'd say we're pretty good. Rose and Kemba are both good PGs, whoever you choose between RJ and Fournier to be the "SG" is solid for a starter, and Quick/Burks are good backups

I'd put the backcourt rotation as around average, because while we might have more depth, we don't have that same star power (unless Kemba returns to form, then it's a different story, but that's not super likely) the top teams have, and time and time again, it's proven that star power is more important than depth, though good depth does help

Also think it's a touch early to proclaim Rose&co as the saviors of the franchise, we had one good season which relied on a lot of guys overperforming, and now we've paid them to overperform. Overall, I can't think of any major misses off the top of my head, but we should wait and see if they've built a sustainable roster and can make the moves to get us into contention before crowning them. I think they most certainly can, but I'm gonna wait and see.


Average?...no way. Rose alone kept us in half the playoff games versus the Hawks, You subtract Payton and Bullock and add Fournier, and KEmba ..Quickley a year wiser and Duece? Way above average.
User avatar
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
Posts: 11,083
And1: 16,742
Joined: Sep 20, 2018
 

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#40 » by Chanel Bomber » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:59 am

I don't expect Kemba to have much of an impact on the court to be honest.

He reminds me of those good old big name Knicks moves, except this one's low-risk since it's not crippling in terms of the cap.

Good signing, but I don't expect more than 10-11 ppg on decent efficiency.
Image

Return to New York Knicks