ImageImageImageImageImage

RJ Barrett entering year 3

Moderators: NoLayupRule, Deeeez Knicks, GONYK, K-DOT, Capn'O, mrpoetryNmotion, Jeff Van Gully, j4remi, King of Canada, mpharris36, Thugger HBC

Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,376
And1: 2,620
Joined: May 16, 2013
     

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#121 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Sep 2, 2021 2:07 am

Synciere wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
Synciere wrote:I’m waiting for that game where he dominates and wills us to victory against a contender or some shyt. Then I’m waiting for him to do it again. That’s when I’ll be a full believer in RJ. The day he drops 43 against the Nets in a back and forth with Harden and KD or something. While I appreciate his slow and steady demeanor and energy, I need that explosion.


Well you ain't gonna get it. I'd be happy if he were a Jimmy Butler type. From what I see that's a best case scenario.


Jimmy Butler has definitely dominated games and controlled the outcome for his team. His career high is 50-something lol. He’s been the go to point guard for his teams the last half decade. Jimmy Butler would be an AWESOME outcome.


And I listed him cause he had to build it though, wouldn't you say? The guys you mentioned sortve, I never wanna say born into greatness cause all these guys work hard on thier craft, but they came into the league as phenoms and seemingly destined players. Jimmie didn't have thier talent level coming in and I feel like RJ could take a path like that. I didn't mean to disrespect Butler in fact I very much respect him. But it evolved over time.
Juggynaut
Analyst
Posts: 3,413
And1: 1,976
Joined: Feb 14, 2010
       

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#122 » by Juggynaut » Thu Sep 2, 2021 2:49 am

People have to remember Jimmy Butler came into the league as a 21 year old rookie too. So if you compare RJ's upcoming season as a 21 year old to Jimmy Butler's rookie season, it won't even be close.
Image
User avatar
dakomish23
RealGM
Posts: 44,312
And1: 29,919
Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Location: Empire State
     

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#123 » by dakomish23 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:07 pm

F N 11 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:He is the cornerstone upon which our next championship will be built.

How many unbelievers have already been shut down?

Read on Twitter

:o Tatum looking for RJ off curls.


Trade for him when he becomes available. We’d be unstoppable
:lol: :lol: :lol:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128
cgf
RealGM
Posts: 17,714
And1: 4,672
Joined: Jul 01, 2008
Location: laser shield bitches

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#124 » by cgf » Thu Sep 2, 2021 9:16 pm

Juggynaut wrote:People have to remember Jimmy Butler came into the league as a 21 year old rookie too. So if you compare RJ's upcoming season as a 21 year old to Jimmy Butler's rookie season, it won't even be close.


Certainly true, but precocity isn't the same thing as potential and players develop at different rates, so that doesn't tell us too much about when RJ will stop developing. No one should write off the possibility of him becoming the next Butler / Middleton / Beal, but we really just don't know how much higher he will rise.
dogrufus wrote:Plus the win would put us at .500 and 5 straight wins, making every poster here cream in their pants.

We're Knicks fans. We never get to cream.


cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 49,929
And1: 44,549
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: NYCAA Wildcats

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#125 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Sep 3, 2021 3:03 am

By Grimes 3rd year, he'll be better than RJ
Image
User avatar
Separatista
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,825
And1: 2,491
Joined: Jan 30, 2014

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#126 » by Separatista » Fri Sep 3, 2021 3:37 am

thebuzzardman wrote:By Grimes 3rd year, he'll be better than RJ

Skipping the grimes vs. Mcbribe, or rookie vs. Sophomore debate I see. Going straight to ____ vs. RJ, very progressive.
User avatar
stuporman
RealGM
Posts: 23,311
And1: 8,934
Joined: Nov 27, 2005
Location: optimistic skeptical realist

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#127 » by stuporman » Fri Sep 3, 2021 7:17 am

RJ is on a list of like 8 players that have accumulated a certain set of stats before the age of 21 which I can't exactly recall what they were at the moment but the list includes LeBron, Kobe, Carmelo, Tatum, Doncic and a couple others.

Just a casual glance at the number of games a bunch of those others guys played in their first two NBA seasons and are clearly under the age of 21 shows that RJ has played possibly the least number of games of anyone on that list.

From the handful of those others I checked the second lowest number of games was played by Luka who had 10 more games than RJ and it's not like he missed many games, it was a quirk of two seasons being cut short because of covid.
Image?
cgf
RealGM
Posts: 17,714
And1: 4,672
Joined: Jul 01, 2008
Location: laser shield bitches

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#128 » by cgf » Fri Sep 3, 2021 2:02 pm

stuporman wrote:RJ is on a list of like 8 players that have accumulated a certain set of stats before the age of 21 which I can't exactly recall what they were at the moment but the list includes LeBron, Kobe, Carmelo, Tatum, Doncic and a couple others.

Just a casual glance at the number of games a bunch of those others guys played in their first two NBA seasons and are clearly under the age of 21 shows that RJ has played possibly the least number of games of anyone on that list.

From the handful of those others I checked the second lowest number of games was played by Luka who had 10 more games than RJ and it's not like he missed many games, it was a quirk of two seasons being cut short because of covid.


A) those types of stats can be used to put anyone on a pedestal...insert graphic showing that Thad Young's only peers are LeBron, Magic & Bird here.

B) that's all about precocity rather than potential...how you start rather than how high you rise.

Again I think RJ has the tools & drive to turn himself into a star the way Butler, Middleton, & Beal did, but we can't put too much weight on where he is already...as plenty of athletes in countless sports have hit the ground running only to stagnate before becoming a star.

For now I am just going to enjoy tracking his growth, which hopefully won't end any time soon.
dogrufus wrote:Plus the win would put us at .500 and 5 straight wins, making every poster here cream in their pants.

We're Knicks fans. We never get to cream.


cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 47,270
And1: 37,374
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: JEWISH LASER CLINIC
Contact:
 

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#129 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Sep 3, 2021 2:47 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:By Grimes 3rd year, he'll be better than RJ


In three years you’ll be reduced to posting exclamation marks and holding sham hostage in your basement
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
-YogiBiz-
Senior
Posts: 572
And1: 391
Joined: Jun 09, 2020
Location: Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, I don't play defense.
         

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#130 » by -YogiBiz- » Fri Sep 3, 2021 3:08 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:By Grimes 3rd year, he'll be better than RJ


In three years you’ll be reduced to posting exclamation marks and holding sham hostage in your basement


Assuming he hasn't already abducted Sham.
Image
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 49,929
And1: 44,549
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: NYCAA Wildcats

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#131 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Sep 3, 2021 4:27 pm

-YogiBiz- wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:By Grimes 3rd year, he'll be better than RJ


In three years you’ll be reduced to posting exclamation marks and holding sham hostage in your basement


Assuming he hasn't already abducted Sham.


I'm inside of Sham's cell which is inside of GreenArrow's cell
Image
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 47,270
And1: 37,374
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: JEWISH LASER CLINIC
Contact:
 

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#132 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Sep 3, 2021 4:56 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
-YogiBiz- wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
In three years you’ll be reduced to posting exclamation marks and holding sham hostage in your basement


Assuming he hasn't already abducted Sham.


I'm inside of Sham's cell which is inside of GreenArrow's cell


Holy freaking nested Russian doll psychosis !!!!!!!!!!!!!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
stuporman
RealGM
Posts: 23,311
And1: 8,934
Joined: Nov 27, 2005
Location: optimistic skeptical realist

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#133 » by stuporman » Fri Sep 3, 2021 6:16 pm

cgf wrote:
stuporman wrote:RJ is on a list of like 8 players that have accumulated a certain set of stats before the age of 21 which I can't exactly recall what they were at the moment but the list includes LeBron, Kobe, Carmelo, Tatum, Doncic and a couple others.

Just a casual glance at the number of games a bunch of those others guys played in their first two NBA seasons and are clearly under the age of 21 shows that RJ has played possibly the least number of games of anyone on that list.

From the handful of those others I checked the second lowest number of games was played by Luka who had 10 more games than RJ and it's not like he missed many games, it was a quirk of two seasons being cut short because of covid.


A) those types of stats can be used to put anyone on a pedestal...insert graphic showing that Thad Young's only peers are LeBron, Magic & Bird here.

B) that's all about precocity rather than potential...how you start rather than how high you rise.

Again I think RJ has the tools & drive to turn himself into a star the way Butler, Middleton, & Beal did, but we can't put too much weight on where he is already...as plenty of athletes in countless sports have hit the ground running only to stagnate before becoming a star.

For now I am just going to enjoy tracking his growth, which hopefully won't end any time soon.


My main point stemmed from me thinking about how RJs first two seasons were cut short because of covid and how it related to that random stat so I did a little research to find out he probably had the least amount of games played under 21 to get those stats.

It had nothing to do with trying to put him in any class with NBA greats or anything, It was the amount of production he has achieved at such a young age even considering he hasn't had as many possible games played because of the shorter seasons, that's about it.

Take it for what it's worth.
Image?
User avatar
N Y K
RealGM
Posts: 14,562
And1: 7,847
Joined: Jan 18, 2015
       

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#134 » by N Y K » Sun Sep 5, 2021 4:15 pm

MOAR plz

Read on Twitter
User avatar
DowNY
RealGM
Posts: 11,665
And1: 7,687
Joined: Dec 19, 2010
Location: Your mom's crib, NYC
     

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#135 » by DowNY » Sun Sep 5, 2021 9:48 pm

Growth spurt rumors true?
User avatar
BKlutch
RealGM
Posts: 12,826
And1: 9,102
Joined: Jan 11, 2015
Location: Jamaica, NY
     

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#136 » by BKlutch » Mon Sep 6, 2021 2:52 pm

DowNY wrote:Growth spurt rumors true?

I'm not quite sure, but RJ is the kind of guy who really grows on you.
.
.
.
Year 1: From 21 to 41 wins!
Year 2: Add Evan, Kemba, Mitch, and the draft picks!
User avatar
knickabocker88
Head Coach
Posts: 6,164
And1: 1,571
Joined: Jul 01, 2008

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#137 » by knickabocker88 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 3:24 am

Other Message Boards / Social Media - Very polarizing opinions on RJ.

Porzingis pre injury made the leap, from year 2 to year 3. Alot of people didn't see it coming, so the precedent is there.

If RJ makes the leap then this team will be going places but he hasn't established himself as an untouchable.

stuporman wrote:RJ is on a list of like 8 players that have accumulated a certain set of stats before the age of 21 which I can't exactly recall what they were at the moment but the list includes LeBron, Kobe, Carmelo, Tatum, Doncic and a couple others.

Just a casual glance at the number of games a bunch of those others guys played in their first two NBA seasons and are clearly under the age of 21 shows that RJ has played possibly the least number of games of anyone on that list.

From the handful of those others I checked the second lowest number of games was played by Luka who had 10 more games than RJ and it's not like he missed many games, it was a quirk of two seasons being cut short because of covid.


Tyreke Evans was on one those lists, it means nothing
User avatar
stuporman
RealGM
Posts: 23,311
And1: 8,934
Joined: Nov 27, 2005
Location: optimistic skeptical realist

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#138 » by stuporman » Tue Sep 7, 2021 5:21 am

knickabocker88 wrote:Other Message Boards / Social Media - Very polarizing opinions on RJ.

Porzingis pre injury made the leap, from year 2 to year 3. Alot of people didn't see it coming, so the precedent is there.

If RJ makes the leap then this team will be going places but he hasn't established himself as an untouchable.

stuporman wrote:RJ is on a list of like 8 players that have accumulated a certain set of stats before the age of 21 which I can't exactly recall what they were at the moment but the list includes LeBron, Kobe, Carmelo, Tatum, Doncic and a couple others.

Just a casual glance at the number of games a bunch of those others guys played in their first two NBA seasons and are clearly under the age of 21 shows that RJ has played possibly the least number of games of anyone on that list.

From the handful of those others I checked the second lowest number of games was played by Luka who had 10 more games than RJ and it's not like he missed many games, it was a quirk of two seasons being cut short because of covid.


Tyreke Evans was on one those lists, it means nothing


That wasn't the point so try reading it again because your reply means nothing.
Image?
User avatar
Fat Kat
RealGM
Posts: 28,684
And1: 21,048
Joined: Apr 19, 2004
     

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#139 » by Fat Kat » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:31 am

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
User avatar
DaGawd
RealGM
Posts: 21,920
And1: 22,407
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
Location: Queens, NY
     

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#140 » by DaGawd » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:17 am

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

LFG
BaF Roster
Washington Wizards
Spoiler:

Tyrell Terry
PJ Dozier
BJ Boston
Wendell Carter
Hassan Whiteside

Return to New York Knicks