ImageImageImageImageImage

RJ Barrett entering year 3

Moderators: NoLayupRule, Deeeez Knicks, GONYK, K-DOT, Capn'O, mrpoetryNmotion, Jeff Van Gully, j4remi, King of Canada, mpharris36, Thugger HBC

User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 49,933
And1: 44,552
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: NYCAA Wildcats

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#141 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:32 am

DaGawd wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

LFG


This is going to elevate his game. Not the final piece, but it'll be a big help.
Image
DrCoach
Head Coach
Posts: 6,203
And1: 3,102
Joined: May 24, 2014

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#142 » by DrCoach » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:56 pm

Hes need to be better than a 15 PER
User avatar
Gorilla Monsoon
Sophomore
Posts: 102
And1: 191
Joined: Mar 07, 2021

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#143 » by Gorilla Monsoon » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:34 pm

RJ will be an all-star eventually. I love this kid.
spree2kawhi
Head Coach
Posts: 6,645
And1: 2,043
Joined: Mar 01, 2005

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#144 » by spree2kawhi » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:54 pm

RJ had the GOAT sophomore season. Don’t @ me
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 49,933
And1: 44,552
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: NYCAA Wildcats

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#145 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:37 am

Not tall enough.
Image
User avatar
KOA
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,216
And1: 155
Joined: Jan 31, 2005

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#146 » by KOA » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:54 am

The ONLY reason RJ hasn’t gotten a lot of hype is because his career high is only 32 pts. It’s sad that we put so much emphasis on one stat. Can he score more? Absolutely. Just needs to be more aggressive,
JCS
Sophomore
Posts: 100
And1: 65
Joined: Jun 17, 2003

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#147 » by JCS » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:26 am

To start the season, RJ Barrett is :
* not in The Athletic top 125
* not in Sports Illustrated top 100
* not in ESPN top 100

Let's have fun about this all season long...
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 49,933
And1: 44,552
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: NYCAA Wildcats

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#148 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:15 pm

RJ may never be a GREAT player or a STAR, but he could be a "star" or very good player. I guess that might disappointing for someone selected at #3, but I don't see it that way.

Also, he COULD be a great player or STAR, since it's very early yet.

I think it's more likely he becomes that VERY good player, but more importantly, the way he plays, his mentality etc, is that he's the kind of player that contributes to a lot of winning teams.

Like, maybe he's not carrying teams, but you are really glad he's part of the team.

Also, f*ck SI and ESPN and their goofy polls. RJ is a good player already and will get better.

I gave RJ some grief. Certainly gave Randle some deserved grief as that asshat Fizzle tried to ruin him, turning him into the Human Spin Cycle. Kudos to Randle to getting in best shape of his career, taking his play up a notch and for the coaching staff for having the brains to do the little things that made Randle the best version of himself.

Feels good to have these two hardworking players on the Knicks, guys who are easy to root for. The rest of the squad too.
Image
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 47,272
And1: 37,375
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: JEWISH LASER CLINIC
Contact:
 

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#149 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:08 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Not tall enough.


One word

Girth
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 47,272
And1: 37,375
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: JEWISH LASER CLINIC
Contact:
 

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#150 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:11 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:RJ may never be a GREAT player or a STAR, but he could be a "star" or very good player. I guess that might disappointing for someone selected at #3, but I don't see it that way.

Also, he COULD be a great player or STAR, since it's very early yet.

I think it's more likely he becomes that VERY good player, but more importantly, the way he plays, his mentality etc, is that he's the kind of player that contributes to a lot of winning teams.

Like, maybe he's not carrying teams, but you are really glad he's part of the team.

Also, f*ck SI and ESPN and their goofy polls. RJ is a good player already and will get better.

I gave RJ some grief. Certainly gave Randle some deserved grief as that asshat Fizzle tried to ruin him, turning him into the Human Spin Cycle. Kudos to Randle to getting in best shape of his career, taking his play up a notch and for the coaching staff for having the brains to do the little things that made Randle the best version of himself.

Feels good to have these two hardworking players on the Knicks, guys who are easy to root for. The rest of the squad too.


I can’t recall any player who made me or any other Knicks fans go 180 like we did with Randle. I wanted him gone after his first season and now I can’t wait to see how far he can take his game. Has any other player had a complete turnaround in one season like that?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 85,527
And1: 67,081
Joined: Nov 03, 2010
     

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#151 » by mpharris36 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:31 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:RJ may never be a GREAT player or a STAR, but he could be a "star" or very good player. I guess that might disappointing for someone selected at #3, but I don't see it that way.

Also, he COULD be a great player or STAR, since it's very early yet.

I think it's more likely he becomes that VERY good player, but more importantly, the way he plays, his mentality etc, is that he's the kind of player that contributes to a lot of winning teams.

Like, maybe he's not carrying teams, but you are really glad he's part of the team.

Also, f*ck SI and ESPN and their goofy polls. RJ is a good player already and will get better.

I gave RJ some grief. Certainly gave Randle some deserved grief as that asshat Fizzle tried to ruin him, turning him into the Human Spin Cycle. Kudos to Randle to getting in best shape of his career, taking his play up a notch and for the coaching staff for having the brains to do the little things that made Randle the best version of himself.

Feels good to have these two hardworking players on the Knicks, guys who are easy to root for. The rest of the squad too.



Well someone woke up on the right side of the bed!

I agree I think RJ will be very good. He just turned 21. He plays on both ends of the floor.

His biggest weakness his shooting he basically fixed in one year and he was a +40% from 3 guy.

He is playing with better teammates. There is a stat that shows he played a majority of his minutes in his career with Elfrid Payton. So not have that anchor anymore will help and better teammates will open up more things on the floor for him.

He has a crazy good work ethic.

For most of the year until Rose came to the team he was the 2nd best player on a playoff team as a 20 year old which is impressive.

Don't pay those list any time. Its just a Knicks for clicks thing.

SI's list had 3 T-wolves on it with Malik Beasley, Russell, and Anthony Edwards. And RJ is better than all 3 of them.

Knowing RJ he will use that as motivation to shut them up.
BAF Spurs:

ROSTER

Robert Williams III/Chris Boucher/Daniel Gafford
Michael Porter Jr/De'Andre Hunter/James Johnson
RJ Barrett/Trey Murphy III/Langston Galloway
Tyrese Haliburton/Chris Duarte/James Bouknight
Steph Curry/Jalen Suggs/Anfernee Simons
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 47,272
And1: 37,375
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: JEWISH LASER CLINIC
Contact:
 

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#152 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:41 pm

Does anyone remember a moment when a rumor was floated that Fizdale had feared RJ was a diva more interested in fame and glamour than hard work?

I have no idea where that came from, but it sounded ludicrous the moment I read that. Or it could even have been true, thus confirming once again Fizdale has no business being in the coaching business
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 85,527
And1: 67,081
Joined: Nov 03, 2010
     

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#153 » by mpharris36 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:52 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:Does anyone remember a moment when a rumor was floated that Fizdale had feared RJ was a diva more interested in fame and glamour than hard work?

I have no idea where that came from, but it sounded ludicrous the moment I read that. Or it could even have been true, thus confirming once again Fizdale has no business being in the coaching business


I guess it makes sense since Fizdale was an idiot :lol:
BAF Spurs:

ROSTER

Robert Williams III/Chris Boucher/Daniel Gafford
Michael Porter Jr/De'Andre Hunter/James Johnson
RJ Barrett/Trey Murphy III/Langston Galloway
Tyrese Haliburton/Chris Duarte/James Bouknight
Steph Curry/Jalen Suggs/Anfernee Simons
User avatar
K-DOT
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 17,225
And1: 27,896
Joined: Nov 25, 2016
Location: Dante's Purgatory, 2nd Terrace
       

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#154 » by K-DOT » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:02 pm

RJ is very good

I think it's too soon to say he won't be great, because he is still really young and he made a pretty big improvement from year 1 to 2, and when you compare him to Ja who was without a doubt better as a rookie but kind of plateaued this year, Ja is still better because he can create for himself off the dribble but the gap has significantly closed

We'll have a much better idea where he's headed after this season. I think success for him this year is gonna be how well can he do #1 option things like create for himself off the dribble. I'd be fine with his 3pt% taking a step back if it means he's taking more off the dribble, even if he's not great at them yet. And I want to see his PnR game improve, he only scored .78 ppp on 41.7% eFG and 13.7% TOV frequency (33rd percentile) last year, and while that was an improvement from his rookie year (.68 ppp, 36.6% eFG, 16.9% TOV frequency, 21st percentile), it's nowhere near what it needs to be for a #1. I'm too lazy to post the Iso stats, but same story there

The "RJ just spot up shooter" meme took off at the end of the year, and while it clearly isn't true because c&s 3s only made up 27% of his shot attempts, it had a point in that they were the only thing he did on offense at a consistent NBA level. He's shown flashes of being able to create for himself, and while I'm not expecting his game to be Tatum level, I want to see him be more consistent in his ability to create.
BAF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Sharife Cooper
Donovan Mitchell/Avery Bradley
Keldon Johnson/Josh Jackson
Cam Johnson/Darius Bazley
Evan Mobley/Vernon Carey Jr.

Check out our podcast, No Blood No Foul!:

Image
Spree2Houston
Veteran
Posts: 2,639
And1: 2,401
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
     

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#155 » by Spree2Houston » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:17 pm

Trade him in a package for Brandon Ingram while his value is still decent. Pelicans will do everything in their power to get Zion to stay and the 1st step would be reuniting him with his BFF.
User avatar
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 85,527
And1: 67,081
Joined: Nov 03, 2010
     

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#156 » by mpharris36 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:17 pm

K-DOT wrote:RJ is very good

I think it's too soon to say he won't be great, because he is still really young and he made a pretty big improvement from year 1 to 2, and when you compare him to Ja who was without a doubt better as a rookie but kind of plateaued this year, Ja is still better because he can create for himself off the dribble but the gap has significantly closed

We'll have a much better idea where he's headed after this season. I think success for him this year is gonna be how well can he do #1 option things like create for himself off the dribble. I'd be fine with his 3pt% taking a step back if it means he's taking more off the dribble, even if he's not great at them yet. And I want to see his PnR game improve, he only scored .78 ppp on 41.7% eFG and 13.7% TOV frequency (33rd percentile) last year, and while that was an improvement from his rookie year (.68 ppp, 36.6% eFG, 16.9% TOV frequency, 21st percentile), it's nowhere near what it needs to be for a #1. I'm too lazy to post the Iso stats, but same story there

The "RJ just spot up shooter" meme took off at the end of the year, and while it clearly isn't true because c&s 3s only made up 27% of his shot attempts, it had a point in that they were the only thing he did on offense at a consistent NBA level. He's shown flashes of being able to create for himself, and while I'm not expecting his game to be Tatum level, I want to see him be more consistent in his ability to create.


I agree with all of this.

Another factor I will be looking for without Bullock. RJ will most likely get tasked at defending the best perimeter offensive player. RJ was a solid defender last year but this will be a big jump for him. It wont be Kemba/Rose or Fournier most likely.

My logic is you don't need to be a 25 pt scorer to be considered a great player.

If he is impacting the game on both ends he can do it at the 18-20 ppg mark if he is doing other things like facilitating and playing on both ends. Jrue Holiday showed how important that was in the post season (not even saying he can get to that level of a defender). But I think you get my point that he is going to be relied on to defend the harder matchup this year.
BAF Spurs:

ROSTER

Robert Williams III/Chris Boucher/Daniel Gafford
Michael Porter Jr/De'Andre Hunter/James Johnson
RJ Barrett/Trey Murphy III/Langston Galloway
Tyrese Haliburton/Chris Duarte/James Bouknight
Steph Curry/Jalen Suggs/Anfernee Simons
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 49,933
And1: 44,552
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: NYCAA Wildcats

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#157 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:27 pm

K-DOT wrote:RJ is very good

I think it's too soon to say he won't be great, because he is still really young and he made a pretty big improvement from year 1 to 2, and when you compare him to Ja who was without a doubt better as a rookie but kind of plateaued this year, Ja is still better because he can create for himself off the dribble but the gap has significantly closed

We'll have a much better idea where he's headed after this season. I think success for him this year is gonna be how well can he do #1 option things like create for himself off the dribble. I'd be fine with his 3pt% taking a step back if it means he's taking more off the dribble, even if he's not great at them yet. And I want to see his PnR game improve, he only scored .78 ppp on 41.7% eFG and 13.7% TOV frequency (33rd percentile) last year, and while that was an improvement from his rookie year (.68 ppp, 36.6% eFG, 16.9% TOV frequency, 21st percentile), it's nowhere near what it needs to be for a #1. I'm too lazy to post the Iso stats, but same story there

The "RJ just spot up shooter" meme took off at the end of the year, and while it clearly isn't true because c&s 3s only made up 27% of his shot attempts, it had a point in that they were the only thing he did on offense at a consistent NBA level. He's shown flashes of being able to create for himself, and while I'm not expecting his game to be Tatum level, I want to see him be more consistent in his ability to create.


I don't know how much P&R action RJ is going to see with Kemba/Rose/Fournier/Burks on the team. If anything, he's kind of in Bullocks role, though he'll be Bullocks++

His ppg may stay the same or go down a bit, but he'll be a better player. I'd like to see him attack closeouts and then pull up for short/midrange jumpers and also get to the rim off that. Which he already did, but should be able to do a lot more of it with Walker/Rose/Fournier/Randle present.
Image
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 49,933
And1: 44,552
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: NYCAA Wildcats

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#158 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:29 pm

Spree2Houston wrote:Trade him in a package for Brandon Ingram while his value is still decent. Pelicans will do everything in their power to get Zion to stay and the 1st step would be reuniting him with his BFF.


Zion will be coming to the Knicks to play with RJ.
Image
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 49,933
And1: 44,552
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: NYCAA Wildcats

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#159 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:50 pm

Ok. Enough of that. Back to my regularly scheduled negativity.
Image
User avatar
robillionaire
RealGM
Posts: 21,340
And1: 25,357
Joined: Jul 12, 2015
Location: Asheville
       

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#160 » by robillionaire » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:51 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:Trade him in a package for Brandon Ingram while his value is still decent. Pelicans will do everything in their power to get Zion to stay and the 1st step would be reuniting him with his BFF.


Zion will be coming to the Knicks to play with RJ.


Image

Return to New York Knicks