ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Pistons vs Knicks

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,791

Re: PG: Pistons vs Knicks 

Post#81 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:01 pm

DaGawd wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
F N 11 wrote:Randle is different. He doesnt even look like hes trying. Could be looking at 50 40 80 Season.

He took over with relative ease, not a Randle guy but hope to God I'm dead wrong.

I don’t understand this not a Randle guy sentiment from some of y’all.. he’s the best player we’ve had since Melo, plays the right way and WANTS to be a Knick and take on the responsibility of leading us back to relevance.. what more can y’all want??

people want him to be prime lebron. anything less is a disappointment
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#82 » by HEZI » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:21 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
This ain't no theory, you and I both know that if we had the league MVP Thibs still wouldn't change his approach (D-Rose basically admitted that in his post game presser). Thibs is thibs. You take the good with the bad. Good thing there is far more good then there is bad when it comes to Thibs...unlike a lot of our previous coaches that sucked at coaching.

But you just ducking your own theory to basically come to a conclusion of different coaches have different methods. Did you arrive at what is right and what is wrong? Of course not, because the coach you just compared Thibs to lost a player to an ACL injury and guess what? He's not Thibs and doesn't coach like Thibs. So what was your point again? Thibs has his way, right we know this, but did you prove his method is wrong? No unfortunately not.

I'm not ducking any theory. I'm simply saying Thibs is in a minority on his minutes/preseason handling (its why he continues to get questioned on it by the media. Its the reason Rose laughed at the question because he knows Thibs is a mad man too. Pop once said the most important part of preseason was getting to your dinner reservations on time. That doesn't mean his teams were working any less hard in practice.

Again I am not here proving a method right or wrong. I'm simply saying stating my opinion on the matter. I can appreciate Thibs approach and mindset that everything matters. But there is risk to that. And that is not saying there is risk to other approaches as well. Call me crazy but Derrick Rose a prior league MVP that has done nearly everything at this level doesn't need 31 minutes in a preseason game to get ready for a season. Thibs may feel he does, me personally I think thats excessive with his injury past.

There are risks in everything. You can make an argument that treating preseason lightly and then trying to turn it up in the regular season provides its own risks. Not only injury risks but chemistry and discipline issues as well. I can make a counter argument for what you are saying simply because there is no evidence that treating preseason lightly and not playing guys big minutes is somehow going to protect their well being. Since that’s the case, what are you complaining about? Who cares about that quote from Pops? Really who gives a shyt? Is he preventing injuries to his players? Nope! Has his team done anything significant over the last almost decade now? Nope! He should just retire honestly.

You are talking about Derrick Rose who admitted he doesn’t play pickup in the summer ? That guy can’t make use of some quality preseason minutes to gear up for the season? The same guy who admitted he wants to play?

Thibs has an injury history? You mean his players have gotten hurt? This narrative is ridiculous because we are pretending that other coaches have avoided injuries to their players. What a bunch of crap
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,658

Post#83 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:30 pm

DaGawd wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
F N 11 wrote:Randle is different. He doesnt even look like hes trying. Could be looking at 50 40 80 Season.

He took over with relative ease, not a Randle guy but hope to God I'm dead wrong.

I don’t understand this not a Randle guy sentiment from some of y’all.. he’s the best player we’ve had since Melo, plays the right way and WANTS to be a Knick and take on the responsibility of leading us back to relevance.. what more can y’all want??
Him to be MJ.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#84 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:42 pm

Read on Twitter
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#85 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:44 pm

Read on Twitter
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#86 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:46 pm

Rose wants to play all those minutes
Read on Twitter
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,427

Post#87 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:46 pm

god shammgod wrote:play harder than everyone in the preseason, play harder than everyone in the regular season, get exposed in the playoffs when everyone else plays as hard. the ultimate tease.

Yeah. Why have a coach who tries to maximize the talent on the roster all season long when you can employ the Derek Fishers, Kurt Rambises, Jeff Hornaceks and David Fizdales of the NBA.

I swear. The amount of talk I hear on here about how Knicks should get a coach like Pop or Spolestra or even Brad Stevens, who preach fundamentals, accountability and defense all game and all season long, Knicks get such a coach and it's a non stop bitch fest from some.

Yeah, roster needs work. It's going to take a minute. Maybe they'll need to package players like RJ and IQ with stuff for an elite player. Maybe they'll get a center on the roster who can do stuff who isn't the age of Herb Williams, instead of being stuck with 48 minutes of "they dunk"

So, yeah, I'll take the playoff team that isn't totally awesome for another year and maybe it gets better in the 2nd or 3rd this after this.

Or it doesn't, which is about what half the fanbase deserves anyway.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,427

Post#88 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:50 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nah. This is terrible. I'd rather have players who feel they can turn it on or off and coast through portions of games or parts of the schedule. Because those kinds of players are great and NYC fans really identify with them.

We should try to pair those kinds of players with a coach who doesn't take every game seriously. Totally a winning combination.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#89 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:50 pm

I mean Thibs is right so I can’t hate on what he’s doing
Read on Twitter
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#90 » by HEZI » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:57 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
god shammgod wrote:play harder than everyone in the preseason, play harder than everyone in the regular season, get exposed in the playoffs when everyone else plays as hard. the ultimate tease.

Yeah. Why have a coach who tries to maximize the talent on the roster all season long when you can employ the Derek Fishers, Kurt Rambises, Jeff Hornaceks and David Fizdales of the NBA.

I swear. The amount of talk I hear on here about how Knicks should get a coach like Pop or Spolestra or even Brad Stevens, who preach fundamentals, accountability and defense all game and all season long, Knicks get such a coach and it's a non stop bitch fest from some.

Yeah, roster needs work. It's going to take a minute. Maybe they'll need to package players like RJ and IQ with stuff for an elite player. Maybe they'll get a center on the roster who can do stuff who isn't the age of Herb Williams, instead of being stuck with 48 minutes of "they dunk"

So, yeah, I'll take the playoff team that isn't totally awesome for another year and maybe it gets better in the 2nd or 3rd this after this.

Or it doesn't, which is about what half the fanbase deserves anyway.

Knicks are clearly good enough to coast their way into the playoffs :lol:
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,524

Post#91 » by Chanel Bomber » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:04 pm

Julius seems poised to make another leap with those perimeter skills. He looks more fluid and quicker than he was last year. He also seems ready to let the game come to him more, with better talent around him.

What I want to see from him is efficient scoring.

The starting line-up basically kept the team afloat last year but didn't create much separation against their opponents - the bench did. I think it's (to some extent) a reflection of their leading scorer, who ended the regular season right around (just below) league average in scoring efficiency.

Granted, Jules played with Elfraud for most of the season, but he doesn't have that excuse anymore. I want him to be around 59-61% in true shooting percentage. Anything below that will put a ceiling on our team as a cute team.

RJ also needs to be more efficient, to be fair.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#92 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:10 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:Julius seems poised to make another leap with those perimeter skills. He looks more fluid and quicker than he was last year. He also seems ready to let the game come to him more, with better talent around him.

The starting line-up basically kept the team afloat last year but didn't create much separation against their opponents - the bench did. I think it's (to some extent) a reflection of their leading scorer, who ended the regular season right around (just below) league average in scoring efficiency.

Granted, Jules played with Elfraud for most of the season, but he doesn't have that excuse anymore. I want him to be around 59-61% in true shooting percentage. Anything below that will put a ceiling on our team as a cute team.

we need more from rj than Randle at this point or we’re just going to rely on Randle to bail us out with tough shots to win like he did last night. that was basically all we did last season as well. rj doesn’t look like he’s taking any leap this year. people hate it when we say this but it’s the truth, he’s just a good role player. i don’t see star
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#93 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:13 pm

last night was the first game Fournier really struggled. its going to suck when he’s off because thibs just resorts to Burks who loves to play hero ball
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,524

Post#94 » by Chanel Bomber » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:19 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Julius seems poised to make another leap with those perimeter skills. He looks more fluid and quicker than he was last year. He also seems ready to let the game come to him more, with better talent around him.

we need more from rj than Randle at this point or we’re just going to rely on Randle to bail us out with tough shots to win like he did last night. that was basically all we did last season as well. rj doesn’t look like he’s taking any leap this year. people hate it when we say this but it’s the truth, he’s just a good role player. i don’t see star

I'm not expecting RJ to make that leap yet. If it ever happens, it'll materialize in year 4 or 5 in my opinion. He was rawer as a prospect than people thought, so it'll take him time.

Julius and RJ are quite similar as players, except Randle's further along in his development (and flat-out better) because of age. Maybe RJ will never catch up to him, maybe he will, I don't know.

But neither is efficient, nor athletic, nor can they finish at the rim, although Julius is better at it than RJ.

Bottom line is they both need to become more efficient in their respective roles. Julius as the star, RJ as a role player.

I guess I have higher expectations for Randle because of his age and his contract extension.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,721

Post#95 » by mpharris36 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:21 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:

More so than his offense. I think the jump we need to see from RJ is on the defensive end. With the new acquisitions we are lacking a true perimeter defender in our rotation. I think guys like Kemba/Rose as well as Fournier/Burks and potential someone like IQ on some nights which you mentioned can hopefully bridge that gap to Julius just playing hero ball at the end of the game.

But I liked what I saw from RJ defensively so far. I think he had some great moments vs Beal and I think he defended Josh Jackson pretty well too.

Game 1 its likely like RJ will be either on Brown (if he's back from COVID) or Tatum. So his value this year IMO will be of a 2-way player.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,721

Post#96 » by mpharris36 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:28 pm

RJ had 6 assists last night too. I think that is a step in the right direction. Ultimately I would love for him to be a better finisher at the rim but simply making the right play in terms of getting his teammates involved is a step in the right direction as well. He set up Taj a few times for an easy basket.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#97 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:28 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

I'm not expecting RJ to make that leap yet. If it ever happens, it'll materialize in year 4 or 5 in my opinion. He was rawer as a prospect than people thought, so it'll take him time.

Julius and RJ are quite similar as players, except Randle's further along in his development (and flat-out better) because of age. Maybe RJ will never catch up to him, maybe he will, I don't know.

But neither is efficient, nor athletic, nor can they finish at the rim, although Julius is better at it than RJ.

Bottom line is they both need to become more efficient in their respective roles. Julius as the star, RJ as a role player.

I guess I have higher expectations for Randle because of his age and his contract extension.

i have high expectations for RJ since we drafted him #3 overall and theres a lot of hype around him as a future star. it’s disappointing to see any growth in his game so far. his defense looks a little better but that’s about it. offensively we need him to be more than a role player or teams will just focus on Randle in the playoffs like the hawks did and we’ll be fked again
Montmorencie
Bench Warmer
And1: 839

Post#98 » by Montmorencie » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:29 pm

I like Burks, he is no flashy, nor strong, fast or super smart but he knows how to give you some buckets. But boy he really needs the damn ball a lot. Either he learns how to share quickly and be more efficient or he will be the new Elf in no time.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#99 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:32 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

More so than his offense. I think the jump we need to see from RJ is on the defensive end. With the new acquisitions we are lacking a true perimeter defender in our rotation. I think guys like Kemba/Rose as well as Fournier/Burks and potential someone like IQ on some nights which you mentioned can hopefully bridge that gap to Julius just playing hero ball at the end of the game.

But I liked what I saw from RJ defensively so far. I think he had some great moments vs Beal and I think he defended Josh Jackson pretty well too.

Game 1 its likely like RJ will be either on Brown (if he's back from COVID) or Tatum. So his value this year IMO will be of a 2-way player.

his defense looks better but offensively he pretty much looks like the same player. i was hoping he would improve on that end so he can take a bigger role and take off some of the load off Randle but it doesn’t look like it’s happening. i hate that we have to rely on an aging kemba so much to help out Randle. we look like the same Knicks as last year with no kemba. just Randle bailing us out with extremely tough shots which is not how you want to win ideally.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,393

Post#100 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:39 pm

mpharris36 wrote:RJ had 6 assists last night too. I think that is a step in the right direction. Ultimately I would love for him to be a better finisher at the rim but simply making the right play in terms of getting his teammates involved is a step in the right direction as well. He set up Taj a few times for an easy basket.

RJ had a bad shooting game but still put up 12/7/6. He made some nice set-up passes. He seems like he's a 2-way swiss army knife player that can do a little bit of everything which is valuable right now. Just eye test, he looks a little better on the floor. His defense looks great. Just have to see how he progress's. He may not be a star overnight, but wouldn't rule him out getting there one day.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce

Return to New York Knicks