ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 3: Holloway vs Yair + Leon Edwards needs an opponent

Moderators: mpharris36, NoLayupRule, Deeeez Knicks, Capn'O, K-DOT, mrpoetryNmotion, GONYK, j4remi, Jeff Van Gully, King of Canada, Thugger HBC

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 14,747

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 3: Holloway vs Yair + Leon Edwards needs an opponent 

Post#81 » by j4remi » Wed Jan 5, 2022 11:01 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Wait … Alexander Gustafson? I thought he was finished after going up to HW and getting smeshed, Does he have anything left?

I'm not sure how much is left in the tank, but he did plan to fight Paul Craig toward the end of last year but it got canceled because one of them got hurt. He was going back to LHW which seems like the only choice since he's technically great but has a shoddy chin vs power hitters. It's still a huge flaw in a division with guys like Reyes, Smith, Santos and Jiri but at least those guys aren't Rumble Johnson strong I suppose. The long layoff mighta also got his chin back somewhat. His best highlight is over the current champion with the uppercut show he put on when he beat up Glover. So he'd be able to skip the line if he could put together a couple of wins.
PG - Cory Joseph/T. Jones/G Riller
SG - Booker/Little
SF - D Bane/ K. Anderson/R. Hood
PF - T. Young/Griffin/Culver
C - Vucevic/Griffin/K. Jones

Ex A. Kaba
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
And1: 38,894

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 3: Holloway vs Yair + Leon Edwards needs an opponent 

Post#82 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 5, 2022 11:12 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Wait … Alexander Gustafson? I thought he was finished after going up to HW and getting smeshed, Does he have anything left?

I'm not sure how much is left in the tank, but he did plan to fight Paul Craig toward the end of last year but it got canceled because one of them got hurt. He was going back to LHW which seems like the only choice since he's technically great but has a shoddy chin vs power hitters. It's still a huge flaw in a division with guys like Reyes, Smith, Santos and Jiri but at least those guys aren't Rumble Johnson strong I suppose. The long layoff mighta also got his chin back somewhat. His best highlight is over the current champion with the uppercut show he put on when he beat up Glover. So he'd be able to skip the line if he could put together a couple of wins.

Okay, okay … I think I got it! :lol:
HarthorneWingo

Post#83 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 6, 2022 9:44 am

Volkanovky vs. Max (Max just pulled out due to injury … Cejudo, Yair or Zombie?)
Chandler vs. Tony
Poirier vs. Nate

EDIT:

Tyson Fury to box Francis Ngannou with MMA gloves

Okay … Remiiiiiii!
HarthorneWingo

Post#84 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:09 am

Colby vs. Masvidal going to replace Max vs. Volkanovski, allegedly OFFICIAL for UFC 272
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 14,747

Post#85 » by j4remi » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Volkanovky vs. Max (Max just pulled out due to injury … Cejudo, Yair or Zombie?)
Chandler vs. Tony
Poirier vs. Nate

EDIT:

Okay … Remiiiiiii!

Francis' last fight of his contract is with Gane, so he could ride a win to massive negotiating leverage. He's also in the new Jackass movie that's coming out ("Welcome to Jackass and I'm about to be punched by the baddest man on the planet"). Fury would box the hell out of him, but it'd probably be a HUGE payday for him and still boost his profile since the UFC has downplayed him out of spite.

Volk vs Zombie is more interesting than people give it credit for. Zombie isn't great against in and out movement, even Ortega capitalized on that. But Zombie's got a knack for getting fights to the ground and Volk has been taken down by Mendes and Ortega.

Poirier vs Nate is cool to me. Both guys have earned a chance to pick a good opponent for a fun fight.

Chandler vs Tony...I don't love it, but I get why El Cucuy wants that fight. He's running out of time and he needs a big win to get back in the convo. I'd have tried to get him Dan Hooker which I think is the easier opponent thanks to less wrestling.

Giga Chikadze vs Calvin Kattar this weekend is awesome. Unfortunately the next two fights I was hype for have been pulled and pushed back due to fighters getting COVID. Topuria from the prospects video and Michel Perreira (he of the backflip stomp attack) were supposed to round out this card. It's still got fun fighters like Brandon Royval, Brian Kelleher, and Jennifer Maia...but it doesn't have much in the form of rankings and title implications.
PG - Cory Joseph/T. Jones/G Riller
SG - Booker/Little
SF - D Bane/ K. Anderson/R. Hood
PF - T. Young/Griffin/Culver
C - Vucevic/Griffin/K. Jones

Ex A. Kaba
HarthorneWingo

Post#86 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:36 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Volkanovky vs. Max (Max just pulled out due to injury … Cejudo, Yair or Zombie?)
Chandler vs. Tony
Poirier vs. Nate

EDIT:

Okay … Remiiiiiii!

Francis' last fight of his contract is with Gane, so he could ride a win to massive negotiating leverage. He's also in the new Jackass movie that's coming out ("Welcome to Jackass and I'm about to be punched by the baddest man on the planet"). Fury would box the hell out of him, but it'd probably be a HUGE payday for him and still boost his profile since the UFC has downplayed him out of spite.

Volk vs Zombie is more interesting than people give it credit for. Zombie isn't great against in and out movement, even Ortega capitalized on that. But Zombie's got a knack for getting fights to the ground and Volk has been taken down by Mendes and Ortega.

Poirier vs Nate is cool to me. Both guys have earned a chance to pick a good opponent for a fun fight.

Chandler vs Tony...I don't love it, but I get why El Cucuy wants that fight. He's running out of time and he needs a big win to get back in the convo. I'd have tried to get him Dan Hooker which I think is the easier opponent thanks to less wrestling.

Giga Chikadze vs Calvin Kattar this weekend is awesome. Unfortunately the next two fights I was hype for have been pulled and pushed back due to fighters getting COVID. Topuria from the prospects video and Michel Perreira (he of the backflip stomp attack) were supposed to round out this card. It's still got fun fighters like Brandon Royval, Brian Kelleher, and Jennifer Maia...but it doesn't have much in the form of rankings and title implications.

I forgot that Volkanovski is still fighting but against Zombie. I'm looking forward to that one too.

I guess we'll find out if Gaethje broke Tony's chin for good against Chandler. I can see why the UFC would do this fight to get Chandler a win against a big name opponent. If Chandler was to lose to Hooker, then what good is he anymore? I'm thinking that Dana wants to build him back up to where he's back in the top 5 and in the conversation.
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 4,285

Post#87 » by bringbackhoffa » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:29 pm

And Giga wanted a title shot hahahahha back of the line he goes.

Think Kattar vs Yair would be another fun one

Also looks like we may see porier vs Diaz as the co main on the Jorge Covington card

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Charlotte Hornets
Morant/Wall/Caruso/Thybulle/Hield
Edwards/Tate/Ariza/Gordon/Winslow
Ingram/Randle/Capela/McGee/Knight
HarthorneWingo

Post#88 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:09 am

bringbackhoffa wrote:And Giga wanted a title shot hahahahha back of the line he goes.

Think Kattar vs Yair would be another fun one

Also looks like we may see porier vs Diaz as the co main on the Jorge Covington card

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app

Giga didn’t have the endurance issues in the Barboza fight which strictly a stand up fight. No wrestling involved. Giga has no wrestling/BJJ defense.

Return to New York Knicks