ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 3 UFC 300: Pereira vs Hill, Zhang vs Xionan, BMF Gaethje vs Holloway

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 3: Holloway vs Yair + Leon Edwards needs an opponent 

Post#81 » by j4remi » Wed Jan 5, 2022 11:01 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Wait … Alexander Gustafson? I thought he was finished after going up to HW and getting smeshed, Does he have anything left?

I'm not sure how much is left in the tank, but he did plan to fight Paul Craig toward the end of last year but it got canceled because one of them got hurt. He was going back to LHW which seems like the only choice since he's technically great but has a shoddy chin vs power hitters. It's still a huge flaw in a division with guys like Reyes, Smith, Santos and Jiri but at least those guys aren't Rumble Johnson strong I suppose. The long layoff mighta also got his chin back somewhat. His best highlight is over the current champion with the uppercut show he put on when he beat up Glover. So he'd be able to skip the line if he could put together a couple of wins.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,645

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 3: Holloway vs Yair + Leon Edwards needs an opponent 

Post#82 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 5, 2022 11:12 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Wait … Alexander Gustafson? I thought he was finished after going up to HW and getting smeshed, Does he have anything left?

I'm not sure how much is left in the tank, but he did plan to fight Paul Craig toward the end of last year but it got canceled because one of them got hurt. He was going back to LHW which seems like the only choice since he's technically great but has a shoddy chin vs power hitters. It's still a huge flaw in a division with guys like Reyes, Smith, Santos and Jiri but at least those guys aren't Rumble Johnson strong I suppose. The long layoff mighta also got his chin back somewhat. His best highlight is over the current champion with the uppercut show he put on when he beat up Glover. So he'd be able to skip the line if he could put together a couple of wins.

Okay, okay … I think I got it! :lol:
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#83 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 6, 2022 9:44 am

Volkanovky vs. Max (Max just pulled out due to injury … Cejudo, Yair or Zombie?)
Chandler vs. Tony
Poirier vs. Nate

EDIT:

Tyson Fury to box Francis Ngannou with MMA gloves

Okay … Remiiiiiii!
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#84 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:09 am

Colby vs. Masvidal going to replace Max vs. Volkanovski, allegedly OFFICIAL for UFC 272
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#85 » by j4remi » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Volkanovky vs. Max (Max just pulled out due to injury … Cejudo, Yair or Zombie?)
Chandler vs. Tony
Poirier vs. Nate

EDIT:

Okay … Remiiiiiii!

Francis' last fight of his contract is with Gane, so he could ride a win to massive negotiating leverage. He's also in the new Jackass movie that's coming out ("Welcome to Jackass and I'm about to be punched by the baddest man on the planet"). Fury would box the hell out of him, but it'd probably be a HUGE payday for him and still boost his profile since the UFC has downplayed him out of spite.

Volk vs Zombie is more interesting than people give it credit for. Zombie isn't great against in and out movement, even Ortega capitalized on that. But Zombie's got a knack for getting fights to the ground and Volk has been taken down by Mendes and Ortega.

Poirier vs Nate is cool to me. Both guys have earned a chance to pick a good opponent for a fun fight.

Chandler vs Tony...I don't love it, but I get why El Cucuy wants that fight. He's running out of time and he needs a big win to get back in the convo. I'd have tried to get him Dan Hooker which I think is the easier opponent thanks to less wrestling.

Giga Chikadze vs Calvin Kattar this weekend is awesome. Unfortunately the next two fights I was hype for have been pulled and pushed back due to fighters getting COVID. Topuria from the prospects video and Michel Perreira (he of the backflip stomp attack) were supposed to round out this card. It's still got fun fighters like Brandon Royval, Brian Kelleher, and Jennifer Maia...but it doesn't have much in the form of rankings and title implications.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#86 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:36 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Volkanovky vs. Max (Max just pulled out due to injury … Cejudo, Yair or Zombie?)
Chandler vs. Tony
Poirier vs. Nate

EDIT:

Okay … Remiiiiiii!

Francis' last fight of his contract is with Gane, so he could ride a win to massive negotiating leverage. He's also in the new Jackass movie that's coming out ("Welcome to Jackass and I'm about to be punched by the baddest man on the planet"). Fury would box the hell out of him, but it'd probably be a HUGE payday for him and still boost his profile since the UFC has downplayed him out of spite.

Volk vs Zombie is more interesting than people give it credit for. Zombie isn't great against in and out movement, even Ortega capitalized on that. But Zombie's got a knack for getting fights to the ground and Volk has been taken down by Mendes and Ortega.

Poirier vs Nate is cool to me. Both guys have earned a chance to pick a good opponent for a fun fight.

Chandler vs Tony...I don't love it, but I get why El Cucuy wants that fight. He's running out of time and he needs a big win to get back in the convo. I'd have tried to get him Dan Hooker which I think is the easier opponent thanks to less wrestling.

Giga Chikadze vs Calvin Kattar this weekend is awesome. Unfortunately the next two fights I was hype for have been pulled and pushed back due to fighters getting COVID. Topuria from the prospects video and Michel Perreira (he of the backflip stomp attack) were supposed to round out this card. It's still got fun fighters like Brandon Royval, Brian Kelleher, and Jennifer Maia...but it doesn't have much in the form of rankings and title implications.

I forgot that Volkanovski is still fighting but against Zombie. I'm looking forward to that one too.

I guess we'll find out if Gaethje broke Tony's chin for good against Chandler. I can see why the UFC would do this fight to get Chandler a win against a big name opponent. If Chandler was to lose to Hooker, then what good is he anymore? I'm thinking that Dana wants to build him back up to where he's back in the top 5 and in the conversation.
Free Palestine
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#87 » by bringbackhoffa » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:29 pm

And Giga wanted a title shot hahahahha back of the line he goes.

Think Kattar vs Yair would be another fun one

Also looks like we may see porier vs Diaz as the co main on the Jorge Covington card

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#88 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:09 am

bringbackhoffa wrote:And Giga wanted a title shot hahahahha back of the line he goes.

Think Kattar vs Yair would be another fun one

Also looks like we may see porier vs Diaz as the co main on the Jorge Covington card

Giga didn’t have the endurance issues in the Barboza fight which strictly a stand up fight. No wrestling involved. Giga has no wrestling/BJJ defense.
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#89 » by j4remi » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:45 am

Read on Twitter

This artist gets me.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#90 » by bringbackhoffa » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:58 am

j4remi wrote:
Read on Twitter

This artist gets me.

I dunno why but I feel francis knocks him out in less than 1 min

Also why are so many people making such a big deal of figgys physique, dude always looks super shredded fight week

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#91 » by bringbackhoffa » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:59 pm

Francis now an underdog..some money to be made here..

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#92 » by j4remi » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:35 pm

Fight night baby! My big prelim hype, Ilia Topuria had weight cut issues. But the main card has a lot of fire on it...

The big ones are obviously the HW unification bout. Cyril Gane is technically incredible for a HW, you just don't see that kinda movement and cleanliness from a heavy. But Ngannou's power is always the great equalizer and I get a hint of overconfidence from Gane. They sparred a long time ago and Ngannou has looked much improved since then. It's hard to go to the tape and say anything but Gane, but I'm rooting heavy for Ngannou.

As an aside, the contract drama is a big side story on this. Ngannou has fought out his contract and made it know that if he wins, he's gonna want to get paid. He's got Tyson Fury openly courting him for a boxing match on the side as well. Ngannou must have signed a title-defense clause because the UFC doesn't let fighters get a belt without one, but it's an interesting bit of drama...it also explains why Ngannou doesn't get the kind of promotion other heavyweight champs have gotten, despite him having more star appeal than any big man before him IMO.

Then Moreno vs Figueirero part three. I had Moreno winning the first draw, and he looked even better finishing the rematch. This time the bit of intrigue is that Figgy went to train with Henry Cejudo. I don't like Cejudo, but his team is really good and fighters look good out of that camp. He's also trained with Moreno before, so he may know some weaknesses. I still like Moreno, because I stan the dude. A humble champion that had to work like hell to get here? That's my kinda higher.

Michel Perreira is the back flipping, cart wheel kicking freak athlete that people love or hate. His opponent hasn't fought in the UFC, and has a biggest win of KO'ing post-UFC James Vick. This feels like a showcase for Michel.

Stamman vs Nurmagomedov (Said though)...I like Stamman. Tough dude who is always game. Said has no relation to Khabib, but you'll feel a familiarity when he shows clinch and grappling acumen. The reality though is that he's got a lot of flash to his striking. A lot of Russian fighters like spinning attacks and I've seen him drop dudes with wheel kicks to the body. He is green though compared to Stamman, so I think Stamman's a live dog but this is supposed to be Nurmagomedov's statement win I'm sure.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 3: UFC 270 Ngannou vs Gane for the HW title 

Post#93 » by bringbackhoffa » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:45 pm

I bet francis at 17 to 1 to win in the 3rd round.. hopefully this is not a wwe situation where Dana has instructed the ref to call it early for cyril

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 3: UFC 270 Ngannou vs Gane for the HW title 

Post#94 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:49 am

Henry vs Barcelos is fire

EDIT: Henry has the most incredible cardio I've ever seen. Even better than Colby's. He looks like he could another 10 rounds. He's dancing around the ring like Fred Astair.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#95 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:13 am

Anyone place a bet that Francis would win this one on the mat? lol
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#96 » by j4remi » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:22 pm

Super gritty performance from Ngannou. Apparently, his knee was shot too. I'm happy for him, Dana was so mad he didn't put the belt on him or do a post-fight press address (he was there to put the belt on Figuereiro).

Speaking of Figgy beating Moreno, great fight. I edged it to Figs for the knockdowns and that low kick, but Moreno made a good case for himself. It's a great fight and I wouldn't be mad at a 4th go of it, because they always put on classics. Askar Askarov deserves a shot too though.

Perreira also showed grit. Good job overcoming a clean striker with variety and adjustments.

Nurmagomedov was quick to show why he's such a hot prospect.

Henry was the star of the prelim for sure along with that new girl that landed the submission.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#97 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:34 pm

So it looks like a hot debate has started over whether Jon Jones would "destroy" Ngannou (and Gane) in a UFC HW Championship fight. Sonnen got it started. Jones piled on. And The Weasel says "No way!". I agree with Weasel. Fck Bones. lol. I think what Francis did to Gane - on a injured leg, no less - was an astounding accomplishment. I think a fully-healed Ngannou would fck Jones up. Francis's BJJ game was skyrocketed.

What do you guys think?

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#98 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:22 am

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit but Jake Paul just channeled his inner Badass Bernie Sanders and I, for one, am very impressed. He put Dana on the hot seat and is will to take an ass whooping from Gamebread to boot.

If Jake pulls this off, I'm going to get a tattoo of Jake's face on my forehead.

Dana's response ... starts with "You [Jake Paul] accused me of doing cocaine and it's not true ..." :lol:

I think they'll use the PPV numbers to demand a lot bigger slice of the pie and not give Jake Paul the fight...not sure how legit that is as a leverage point, but that's what they seem to be positioning to do. I wouldn't hold my breath on Paul getting anyone that's still under contract with the UFC...but it would be entertaining!

Check this out:

https://www.mmamania.com/2022/1/25/22900693/jake-paul-and-his-investors-buy-ufc-stock-announce-plans-revolutionize-mma-from-within

Money talks.

Jake Paul can’t impact the world of mixed martial arts (MMA) or the business practices of Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) from the outside, so “The Problem Child” and his investors are buying their way through the front door.

The means to that end is scooping up stock in Endeavor, UFC’s parent company.

“I’ve invested in EDR (UFC) stock with my partner Geoffrey Woo to focus on UFC’s ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) standards relating to fighters,” Paul announced. “We believe EDR can drive long-term economic value by increasing UFC fighter pay and providing them healthcare. Reaching out to Engine No. 1 to partner on this ‘endeavor.’”
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#99 » by j4remi » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:35 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Check this out:

https://www.mmamania.com/2022/1/25/22900693/jake-paul-and-his-investors-buy-ufc-stock-announce-plans-revolutionize-mma-from-within

Money talks.

Jake Paul can’t impact the world of mixed martial arts (MMA) or the business practices of Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) from the outside, so “The Problem Child” and his investors are buying their way through the front door.

“I’ve invested in EDR (UFC) stock with my partner Geoffrey Woo to focus on UFC’s ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) standards relating to fighters,” Paul announced. “We believe EDR can drive long-term economic value by increasing UFC fighter pay and providing them healthcare. Reaching out to Engine No. 1 to partner on this ‘endeavor.’”

I think it's a publicity stunt for Jake. It's useful that he's using fighter pay to troll Dana White, but I don't think he gives a damn about fighters or either boxing or MMA. From what I've heard, this is meaningless in terms of having any impact on operations or even a voice in the room. But I also never take Jake too seriously so I haven't looked too deep into it.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#100 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:44 am

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Check this out:

Money talks.

I think it's a publicity stunt for Jake. It's useful that he's using fighter pay to troll Dana White, but I don't think he gives a damn about fighters or either boxing or MMA. From what I've heard, this is meaningless in terms of having any impact on operations or even a voice in the room. But I also never take Jake too seriously so I haven't looked too deep into it.

I haven't either but why spend the money just to troll? If trolling is all he's after and this is simply performance art, he can already do that on YouTube and Twitter bc of his incredible following. But that's all I got to offer. How realistic is this maneuver, I dunno. I have no savvy when it comes to takeovers and acquisitions.
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks