ImageImageImageImageImage

Thibs Got To Go

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,452

Re: Thibs Got To Go 

Post#21 » by TheGreenArrow » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:14 pm

Goooo get Kenny Atkinson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,233

Post#22 » by Zenzibar » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:16 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Hes_On_Fire wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:then we get another coach, team still butt, then the FO realizes Randle isn't a Batman, they try to trade him, they get promptly fired, a new FO is hired and then they trade Randle.

Rinse, repeat.

When you have a terrible owner it breeds incompetence on every level.

The Knicks SHOULD fire Rose and Thibodeau because they should have never been hired in the first place. Rose has no track record at all and Thibodeau’s style worked 10 years ago. Now you’ll see how the fruits of Dolan’s labor while we mire in the 8-10 spot for a few years because “we can’t fire the best coach we’ve had in years!” and eventually they will all be fired and the process will begin again. And it won’t end until Dolan is gone - because Dolan has never built a proper front office and empowered it the way he should have.

Yes, Thibodeau is a respected coach. He’s a good coach. But he’s not going to win anything in the modern day NBA unless he’s coaching an all vet team. He actually would fit much better on the Lakers. Maybe then he can latch on to LeBron instead of latching his entire Knicks career on to Julius fuggin Randle.

That’s it. Thibs is not a rebuild coach by a long shot and this club is already in tear-down condition under Leon Rose’s management.

There’s only one shot left in Rose’s holster which is to sell Thibs and then Dolan on a rebuild since we might have a few kids to work with already and tons of picks.

Yeah, won’t happen, so …………… doom, etc.

You really want another 5 year rebuild? :crazy:
We need the right mix of vets and young players.

But I can understand and sympathize with the OP's frustration.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,170

Post#23 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:21 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
god shammgod wrote:the front office has been worse. but the coach goes first. that's how it works. i doubt anyone gets fired this year though. last year bought them some good will. next year they better not look like this though. or it's over for thibs.

Your timing is right. Normally

However, the X factor is we're losing at a big clip at home

Boos are starting. If it reaches a crescendo, and it really could, then all bets are off

the boos seem to be really only directed at randle though. it's not those "we're disgusted by this whole team's effort" boos we used to hear. that comes more when you're getting blown out. the knicks were in this game. or at least appeared to be.

That can morph into general mayhem though during home court blowouts which are always a possibility now
ImageImageImage
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 125,997

Post#24 » by god shammgod » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:21 pm

K-DOT wrote:I was never the biggest fan of the Thibs hire, but it's more on the FO for doubling down on mediocre vets than it is on him

He's not a "bad" coach, per se, but he's not really a good coach either. He is better than any coach we've had since maybe Van Gundy, but we could do better

I'm not just gonna fire him to fire him, I'd move on from him when I know there's a better coach available. And it's more the FO who needs to get fired or rethink their priorities than him

But, Thibs isn't making it all the way with us. He might be our Mark Jackson or Dwane Casey, though.

he's more likely our steve clifford
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,217

Post#25 » by Hes_On_Fire » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:42 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Hes_On_Fire wrote:When you have a terrible owner it breeds incompetence on every level.

The Knicks SHOULD fire Rose and Thibodeau because they should have never been hired in the first place. Rose has no track record at all and Thibodeau’s style worked 10 years ago. Now you’ll see how the fruits of Dolan’s labor while we mire in the 8-10 spot for a few years because “we can’t fire the best coach we’ve had in years!” and eventually they will all be fired and the process will begin again. And it won’t end until Dolan is gone - because Dolan has never built a proper front office and empowered it the way he should have.

Yes, Thibodeau is a respected coach. He’s a good coach. But he’s not going to win anything in the modern day NBA unless he’s coaching an all vet team. He actually would fit much better on the Lakers. Maybe then he can latch on to LeBron instead of latching his entire Knicks career on to Julius fuggin Randle.

That’s it. Thibs is not a rebuild coach by a long shot and this club is already in tear-down condition under Leon Rose’s management.

There’s only one shot left in Rose’s holster which is to sell Thibs and then Dolan on a rebuild since we might have a few kids to work with already and tons of picks.

We’ve never done a rebuild. Especially a 5 year rebuild.

Losing because you have awful management and rebuilding are 2 separate things.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#26 » by Zenzibar » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:50 pm

Hes_On_Fire wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

My Dude, there is no such thing as going for an successful rebuild. There are extreme levels of luck and I for one am done with trying to luck out.

Look, we have a strong young crop already and probably our point guard of the future, our shooting guard of the future (IQ or Grimes), our power forward of the future and

Where were you? We just finished tanking 4 years straight prior to last year.
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,731

Post#27 » by Spree2Houston » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:57 pm

I wouldn't fire Thibs..yet. I would try to trade all the vets first and force Thibs to play the kids. This way we can truly see if any of these kids are worth holding onto in the long run.
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach

Post#28 » by Hes_On_Fire » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:01 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
Hes_On_Fire wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

My Dude, there is no such thing as going for an successful rebuild. There are extreme levels of luck and I for one am done with trying to luck out.

Look, we have a strong young crop already and probably our point guard of the future, our shooting guard of the future (IQ or Grimes), our power forward of the future and

Where were you? We just finished tanking 4 years straight prior to last year.

It’s hard to take anything you say seriously when you love every move the Knicks make and blindly support everything.

The Knicks have never rebuilt. If they rebuilt properly they would have been in the top 5 more than twice in 20 years. And they wouldn’t have wasted years on so many useless veteran players.

This current roster is going nowhere. As much as you want to push your typical Knicks agenda the reality is the Knicks are a bad team with no real future. There is no future star on this team.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,306

Post#29 » by cgmw » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:16 pm

Hes_On_Fire wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:then we get another coach, team still butt, then the FO realizes Randle isn't a Batman, they try to trade him, they get promptly fired, a new FO is hired and then they trade Randle.

Rinse, repeat.

Oh wait, so you're saying that it was unwise for Dolan to just hire the next guy without conducting a comprehensive executive search? Man, who would have ever seen that coming?

Sports are so weird. In no other industry would it be okay for a non-industry expert (Dolan) to be your CEO, and certainly it would never be okay to skip a proper executive search in favor of an impromptu cronyism hire for an $8B organization that's part of a publicly traded company. Any competent organization would form a search committee that takes input from independent experts on the best direction for the company. Dolan just pulled out his CAA clubhouse membership and asked for VIP status. And you're telling me that isn't working out? Wow, go figure.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#30 » by DickGrayson » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:44 pm

Mike Woodson was waaaaaaaay 100% time better than Thibs. Everyone in this thread is wrong for saying Thibs should stay and I will tell you why. This was a post 4 years ago on a T'Wolves message board: (Please tell me if I'm wrong, but aren't these complaints similar to 95% of what's being posted today on the boards????

I'm now fully on the "Thibs is trash" train. For those who haven't been following the Wolves these last couple of nights, we gave up 130 to the Pacers and the Pistons are at 110 with 5 minutes to go in the fourth quarter.

We've been without Jimmy Butler but the level of effort from this team has been absolutely abysmal. For someone who has been praised as a "defensive wizard", his inability to get this team to play defensive has been nothing short of astonishing to me. We might not have the greatest defenders, but these guys don't even look like they want to be on the court.

I don't know if Thibs has sucked the energy right out of these guys but they don't even look like they want to play.

I've sat through 13 years of the same old **** night after night but these last two games have been some of the most frustrating games I've ever watched as a Wolves fan.

In the past, we just didn't have the talent but the guys at least gave 100% on the court. Now, we have two of the brighter young stars in the NBA but these guys are playing with no heart.

I'M BLAMING THIBS. It's the **** coaches job to get his guys ready to play each and every night.

The guy runs a prehistoric offense and makes terrible lineup decisions night in and night out. I'm disgusted by this team right now.

Not to mention he dumped Rubio, the heart and soul of this franchise, for Jeff Teague who has been absolute trash this season.

We suck at defense so let's go ahead and trade one of the best PG defenders in the NBA!! MAKES A LOT OF SENSE

Wiggins/Lavine/Rubio all moved on from Thibs and got better in their careers, play with more energy and seem alot happiness being away from Thibs. Rose is a loyal ass dude who basically saved Thibs NBA career, but Rose would of legit been a 30 and 8 player with a healthier/longer/happier career if he didn't start his Chicago career with Thibs. Imagine Rose with a coach like Stotts or Kerr.

1. Thibs was responsible for Wiggins being signed to a 148 million dollar contract: Thibodeau’s watch as president of basketball operations.
2. Thibodeau’s calling card and claim to NBA fame was always "defense". However defense in the early 2010s is completely different than today. Wolves under Thibs ranked in points allowed per 100 possessions in the 3 seasons between 2016-2019 No. 27, No. 25, No. 17. Knicks were good defensive last year thanks to Noel/Robinson/Gibson, but got exposed in the playoffs.
3. Thibs ran Jimmy Butler out of that, yet protects Randle that should tell you enough. Butler is 100X the player Randle is.

We signed a C level coach who's style is outdated.

Fire Thibs today. The sooner we move on, the better. You'll see career break out seasons from guys like RJ Barrett, Kevin Knox, Obi Toppin if Thibs wasn't here holding them back. You'll see Grimes/McBride in the rotation....consistently. Supporting Thibs at this point is exactly like having a **** stain and you're too apathetic to shower/change. Not healthy or a good luck. Cleanse yourselves and let this man go. Send his weird ass back to CT.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,350

Post#31 » by F N 11 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:44 pm

Welcome, been done with him since he gave Randle the keys and refused to sit Payton.

He helped stabilize the organization. Now someone who is innovative need to step in. God forbid we see a screen for a shooter or down screen for a slasher.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#32 » by Marty McFly » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:50 pm

cgmw wrote:
Hes_On_Fire wrote:

Rinse, repeat.

Oh wait, so you're saying that it was unwise for Dolan to just hire the next guy without conducting a comprehensive executive search? Man, who would have ever seen that coming?

Sports are so weird. In no other industry would it be okay for a non-industry expert (Dolan) to be your CEO, and certainly it would never be okay to skip a proper executive search in favor of an impromptu cronyism hire for an $8B organization that's part of a publicly traded company. Any competent organization would form a search committee that takes input from independent experts on the best direction for the company. Dolan just pulled out his CAA clubhouse membership and asked for VIP status. And you're telling me that isn't working out? Wow, go figure.

It's not just sports though. Every multi-million dollar industry's default setting is Cronyism. A lot of the time it's not what you know, It's who you know and I don't think it could be any more apparent then hiring a **** Basketball agent to be a president of Basketball operations. :lol:

Often times it's the upstarts, the smaller companies who know they have to be pragmatic in order to survive so they pursue actual talent. the "blessing" that people assume a market like New York is in actuality, a curse. go figure.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#33 » by knickstape4ever » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:58 pm

cgmw wrote:Yeah we should just fire the entire FO again after a couple years because that’s clearly working in the longterm. Let's just keep hiring and firing unqualified executives and cycling through coaches. Totally been working out great for the 20+ years of Dolan post-Van Gundy.

we should fire the FO tho w/ the caveat they hire experienced basketball execs who have a legit plan

this organization has no direction right now.....as fans, many of us can see (and even have predicted for a while now) that this team is going nowhere, and that it would prudent to rebuild

but w/ this FO, it's more likely they make a short-sighted, "win-now" trade that proves futile and hurts us in the long run b/c in the NBA you don't want to be a middling team: if you're not one of the best, better to be one of the worst

tbh tho, I probably would keep Walt Perrin and Brock Aller tho. obviously we don't know the FO dynamics completely, but seems like they've been somewhat solid: our drafts have been pretty solid (despite taking Obi over Hali) and we've made some moves to pick up future picks (albeit 2nds) and retained cap flexibility somewhat. Aller was noted for his cap creativity in CLE during Bron 2nd stint

....and if Thibs is calling Aller Hinkie, that's a + for Aller in my book
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#34 » by Zenzibar » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:14 pm

DickGrayson wrote:Mike Woodson was waaaaaaaay 100% time better than Thibs. Everyone in this thread is wrong for saying Thibs should stay and I will tell you why. This was a post 4 years ago on a T'Wolves message board: (Please tell me if I'm wrong, but aren't these complaints similar to 95% of what's being posted today on the boards????

I'm now fully on the "Thibs is trash" train. For those who haven't been following the Wolves these last couple of nights, we gave up 130 to the Pacers and the Pistons are at 110 with 5 minutes to go in the fourth quarter.

We've been without Jimmy Butler but the level of effort from this team has been absolutely abysmal. For someone who has been praised as a "defensive wizard", his inability to get this team to play defensive has been nothing short of astonishing to me. We might not have the greatest defenders, but these guys don't even look like they want to be on the court.

I don't know if Thibs has sucked the energy right out of these guys but they don't even look like they want to play.

I've sat through 13 years of the same old **** night after night but these last two games have been some of the most frustrating games I've ever watched as a Wolves fan.

In the past, we just didn't have the talent but the guys at least gave 100% on the court. Now, we have two of the brighter young stars in the NBA but these guys are playing with no heart.

I'M BLAMING THIBS. It's the **** coaches job to get his guys ready to play each and every night.

The guy runs a prehistoric offense and makes terrible lineup decisions night in and night out. I'm disgusted by this team right now.

Not to mention he dumped Rubio, the heart and soul of this franchise, for Jeff Teague who has been absolute trash this season.

We suck at defense so let's go ahead and trade one of the best PG defenders in the NBA!! MAKES A LOT OF SENSE

Wiggins/Lavine/Rubio all moved on from Thibs and got better in their careers, play with more energy and seem alot happiness being away from Thibs. Rose is a loyal ass dude who basically saved Thibs NBA career, but Rose would of legit been a 30 and 8 player with a healthier/longer/happier career if he didn't start his Chicago career with Thibs. Imagine Rose with a coach like Stotts or Kerr.

1. Thibs was responsible for Wiggins being signed to a 148 million dollar contract: Thibodeau’s watch as president of basketball operations.
2. Thibodeau’s calling card and claim to NBA fame was always "defense". However defense in the early 2010s is completely different than today. Wolves under Thibs ranked in points allowed per 100 possessions in the 3 seasons between 2016-2019 No. 27, No. 25, No. 17. Knicks were good defensive last year thanks to Noel/Robinson/Gibson, but got exposed in the playoffs.
3. Thibs ran Jimmy Butler out of that, yet protects Randle that should tell you enough. Butler is 100X the player Randle is.

Fire Thibs today. The sooner we move on, the better. You'll see career break out seasons from guys like RJ Barrett, Kevin Knox, Obi Toppin if Thibs wasn't here holding them back. You'll see Grimes/McBride in the rotation....consistently. Supporting Thibs at this point is exactly like having a **** stain and you're too apathetic to shower/change. Not healthy or a good luck. Cleanse yourselves and let this man go. Send his weird ass back to CT.

Rubio doesn't start and is average at best in his role, unless he plays Thibs' Knicks. The Warriors' fans wanted no part of Wiggins during the first TWO years of the trade.

Lavine actually liks Thibs and so does Jimmy Butler.

Thibs hasn't been only the only problem, the FO sign Evan no defense Fournier and Randle what defense Randle.
There's blame all around.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,714

Post#35 » by 8516knicks » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:04 pm

Spree2Houston wrote:I wouldn't fire Thibs..yet. I would try to trade all the vets first and force Thibs to play the kids. This way we can truly see if any of these kids are worth holding onto in the long run.

you left out the second part of the sentence -- "...OR if Thibs is!" 8-)
cldbld
Sophomore
And1: 141

Post#36 » by cldbld » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:13 pm

No.

We always fire the coach first then **** up the team somehow.

Thibs needs to stay, and Randle needs to go.

Then, and only then if that doesn't make improve, then you look at the coach.

Sometimes, the coach is the not the one that needs to go, and that's evident by No handle Randles garbage play.

What's he so scared of to shoot the ball? You're job isn't to stop the offense for a ridiculous amount of time, and then pass out with less than 5 seconds left on clock so the other guys looks like the ass when he misses.

Shaq said perfectly, Randle, needs to go hard af at these guys and get his, he ain't doin that at all, he needs to hurt these guys so they back off. If you gotta foul out sometimes, so be it. Let these **** know you ain't playin. And maybe then you'll get your shot back.
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach

Post#37 » by Hes_On_Fire » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:25 pm

cldbld wrote:No.

Sometimes, the coach is the not the one that needs to go, and that's evident by No handle Randles garbage play.

What's he so scared of to shoot the ball? You're job isn't to stop the offense for a ridiculous amount of time, and then pass out with less than 5 seconds left on clock so the other guys looks like the ass when he misses.

Shaq said perfectly, Randle, needs to go hard af at these guys and get his, he ain't doin that at all, he needs to hurt these guys so they back off. If you gotta foul out sometimes, so be it. Let these **** know you ain't playin. And maybe then you'll get your shot back.

The problem is Thibs has hitched his wagon to Randle and plays him 35+ minutes regardless of how bad he’s playing.

673-1,007
cldbld
Sophomore
And1: 141

Post#38 » by cldbld » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:44 pm

Hes_On_Fire wrote:
cldbld wrote:No.

The problem is Thibs has hitched his wagon to Randle and plays him 35+ minutes regardless of how bad he’s playing.

Yup, and if randle is gone, thibs doesn't play randle at all.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#39 » by blueNorange » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:54 pm

ask yourself this with thibs

under him randle, mitch, and rj took a step back

obi and iq haven’t improved much and grimes/mcbride only play when there’s nobody

is he doing a good job? this team has taken a step back while improving on the talent.

that’s on thibs
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,170

Post#40 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:05 pm

DickGrayson wrote:Mike Woodson was waaaaaaaay 100% time better than Thibs. Everyone in this thread is wrong for saying Thibs should stay and I will tell you why. This was a post 4 years ago on a T'Wolves message board: (Please tell me if I'm wrong, but aren't these complaints similar to 95% of what's being posted today on the boards????

Thibs is a big problem now since the FO is liable to trade our young guys, some actual talent, to accommodate Thibs instead of replacing Thibs with someone who’d get more out of this roster which is not great but is now grossly underperforming
ImageImageImage

Return to New York Knicks