ImageImageImageImageImage

Noel status

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,106

Re: Noel status 

Post#21 » by robillionaire » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:47 pm

K-DOT wrote:
evevale wrote:Image

well done everyone, ya'll in excellent form going into today's matinee game

and i don't think anyone but rob cares about where nerlens is :lol:

Sources: robillionaire is beside himself. Driving around downtown New York begging (thru texts) Noel's family for address to Nerlens' home

I want him to rest up until the showcasing is done and maybe buy a ps5 with the bag that’s well secured and not fumbled
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,721

Post#22 » by nedleeds » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:50 pm

Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,172

Post#23 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:05 pm

knicksNOTslick wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Just the stupidest signing. He and Mitch are the same player, essentially. Why bring back another Mitch?
Keep Mitch and should have signed a C with some ability to score or stretch the floor, at least more than 2 feet from the basket.

Some posters on here swore he was better than Mitch last year and beginning of the year.

It was a horrible signing from the start. I wish someone in the front office compiled all the clips of easy baskets Noel could have scored if he knew how to catch a basketball. Granted nobody on the Knicks is a Steve Nash or Jason Kidd at passing, and yes, Randle, does pass to teammates like he's playing dodgeball. But something is wrong with Noel's hands.

He’s the Roberto Duran of basketball
ImageImageImage
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,187

Post#24 » by moocow007 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:03 pm

KnixtapeH20 wrote:He tried to make the trip but couldn't catch the flight

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by moocow007 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:04 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:from now on lets not sign guys who cant pass a physical

Or guys that can't seem to catch a break when it comes to injuries.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by moocow007 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:05 pm

rajajackal wrote:
god shammgod wrote:he's been very injury prone his whole career

our dumbest signing this offseason imo

I've been saying that even before he was resigned and the rumors of the Knicks wanting to bring him back started rumbling. I knew in my bones they were going to overpay to bring him back. He was fine for what they paid him last season...but not fine with that stupid contract they gave him to come back. Made absolutely no sense and I said this when he was still on the uptick in the court of public opinions. He's not a starting caliber C. Between the lack of size to keep opposing bigs in check, the lack of any offensive game, the awful hands and the regular trips to the IL...he's a backup C. You don't pay a backup C that much especially in todays' NBA where you can find backup C's all over the place looking for work for cheap, I don't care how well he played soldiering up for this team last season. Thibs job...one of his biggest skills...is getting mediocre guys to play above themselves. Why give Noel a big contract like that? Why not find someone that won't cost anywhere near that much and let Thibs get blood from that stone?
Spree2Houston
Head Coach
And1: 7,135

Post#27 » by Spree2Houston » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:07 pm

WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,499

Post#28 » by WargamesX » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:22 pm

moocow007 wrote:
rajajackal wrote:
god shammgod wrote:he's been very injury prone his whole career

our dumbest signing this offseason imo

I've been saying that even before he was resigned and the rumors of the Knicks wanting to bring him back started rumbling. I knew in my bones they were going to overpay to bring him back. He was fine for what they paid him last season...but not fine with that stupid contract they gave him to come back. Made absolutely no sense and I said this when he was still on the uptick in the court of public opinions. He's not a starting caliber C. Between the lack of size to keep opposing bigs in check, the lack of any offensive game, the awful hands and the regular trips to the IL...he's a backup C. You don't pay a backup C that much especially in todays' NBA where you can find backup C's all over the place looking for work for cheap, I don't care how well he played soldiering up for this team last season. Thibs job...one of his biggest skills...is getting mediocre guys to play above themselves. Why give Noel a big contract like that? Why not find someone that won't cost anywhere near that much and let Thibs get blood from that stone?

Loyalty, Mitch was still injured (and fat) at the time, and for this team Noel can sub in as a starter. He’s not grossly overpaid either. If he was healthy he would likely be trade bait right now.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by moocow007 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:30 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
knicksNOTslick wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Just the stupidest signing. He and Mitch are the same player, essentially. Why bring back another Mitch?
Keep Mitch and should have signed a C with some ability to score or stretch the floor, at least more than 2 feet from the basket.

Some posters on here swore he was better than Mitch last year and beginning of the year.

It was a horrible signing from the start. I wish someone in the front office compiled all the clips of easy baskets Noel could have scored if he knew how to catch a basketball. Granted nobody on the Knicks is a Steve Nash or Jason Kidd at passing, and yes, Randle, does pass to teammates like he's playing dodgeball. But something is wrong with Noel's hands.

He’s the Roberto Duran of basketball

:lol: Yep.

For those of you not old enough, here's what we are talking about.

For Duran the "Hands of Stone" was a good thing is the only difference. Also the ultimate downfall for Duran was that he had "Hands of Stone" but also a "Jaw of Glass". :lol:
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 15,995

Post#30 » by KnixtapeH20 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:47 pm

moocow007 wrote:

Lmao whether or not that was intended well done

KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#31 » by KnixtapeH20 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:53 pm

I just never understood the infatuation with Noel blocks. He didn't take the league by storm as a revered amazing shot blocker like Mitch when he was chasing manute bol. Noels blocks are mostly never 1 on 1, they're help blocks.

And forget about blocks why are blocks so important? They're not, rebounds are. So why not get a backup center that can dominate the boards. Who cares about 2 flashy blocks a game. Mitch gives you BOTH.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by moocow007 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:01 pm

WargamesX wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
rajajackal wrote:our dumbest signing this offseason imo

Loyalty, Mitch was still injured (and fat) at the time, and for this team Noel can sub in as a starter. He’s not grossly overpaid either. If he was healthy he would likely be trade bait right now.

Loyalty is the only reason I accept. Noel has been a backup caliber C his entire NBA career and if you were protecting against Mitchell Robinson injuries then you should have looked to move Mitch and try to acquire a more sure bet starting caliber C via free agency or trade.

As far as him not being grossly overpaid? If we accept that Noel is a backup caliber C (do we?) then he'd be noticeably overpaid and I'd be doubtful that his contract would be easy to move.

Right now, among C's, Noel has the 21st biggest contract in terms of 2021-2022 salary at $8.8 million. That might not seem big but only IF he was considered a starting C. For a backup caliber C here are the guys around his salary range that are basically more backup C's:

Dwight Powell ($11.1M) - Powell has been the starting C for the Mavs this season. His numbers are better than Noels and he's more well rounded. I don't know too many teams that are looking to acquire him to be their starting caliber C or act as a backup C.

Tristan Thompson/Derrick Favors/Serge Ibaka ($9.73M all 3) - This is the group of guys with comparable total salary, AAV and productivity that Noel probably fits in to as far as guys that, if the team had a redo, probably would not have offered the contract that they did. Not sure how much desirable any of these guys are to other teams and I believe all 3 teams are likely to be also looking to move these guys if given an opportunity so this also would be the Knicks competition in trying to find a taker for Noel.

All the other backup caliber Cs are at $5 million or less for this season. This includes the following guys that are and have been quality backup caliber C's for some time:

Robin Lopez ($5M), Javale McGee ($5M), Gorgui Deng ($4M), Alex Len ($3.7M), Hassan Whiteside ($1.7M), Andre Drummond ($1.7M), Dwight Howard ($1.7M), Enes Kanter ($1.7M), Cody Zeller ($1.7M), DeAndre Jordan ($1.7M), Ed Davis ($1.7M), Bismack Biyombo (866K), etc.

Now sure Noel is probably more ideal as a backup than some of these guys but I don't think there are many teams that would be eager to trade for Noel on his current deal is the thing.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#33 » by KnixtapeH20 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:11 pm

moocow007 wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Loyalty is the only reason I accept. Noel has been a backup caliber C his entire NBA career and if you were protecting against Mitchell Robinson injuries then you should have looked to move Mitch and try to acquire a more sure bet starting caliber C via free agency or trade.

As far as him not being grossly overpaid? If we accept that Noel is a backup caliber C (do we?) then he'd be noticeably overpaid and I'd be doubtful that his contract would be easy to move.

Right now, among C's, Noel has the 21st biggest contract in terms of 2021-2022 salary at $8.8 million. That might not seem big but only IF he was considered a starting C. For a backup caliber C here are the guys around his salary range that are basically more backup C's:

Dwight Powell ($11.1M) - Powell has been the starting C for the Mavs this season. His numbers are better than Noels and he's more well rounded. I don't know too many teams that are looking to acquire him to be their starting caliber C or act as a backup C.

Tristan Thompson/Derrick Favors/Serge Ibaka ($9.73M all 3) - This is the group of guys with comparable total salary, AAV and productivity that Noel probably fits in to as far as guys that, if the team had a redo, probably would not have offered the contract that they did. Not sure how much desirable any of these guys are to other teams and I believe all 3 teams are likely to be also looking to move these guys if given an opportunity so this also would be the Knicks competition in trying to find a taker for Noel.

All the other backup caliber Cs are at $5 million or less for this season. This includes the following guys that are and have been quality backup caliber C's for some time:

Robin Lopez ($5M), Javale McGee ($5M), Gorgui Deng ($4M), Alex Len ($3.7M), Hassan Whiteside ($1.7M), Andre Drummond ($1.7M), Dwight Howard ($1.7M), Enes Kanter ($1.7M), Cody Zeller ($1.7M), DeAndre Jordan ($1.7M), Ed Davis ($1.7M), Bismack Biyombo (866K), etc.

Now sure Noel is probably more ideal as a backup than some of these guys but I don't think there are many teams that would be eager to trade for Noel on his current deal is the thing.

Wow, bless your heart for taking the time to research and discuss a scrub like Noel :beer:
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,499

Post#34 » by WargamesX » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:12 pm

moocow007 wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Here’s the thing, they didn’t know he was going to be the back up. His deal makes sense if they wanted to see if Mitch would come back and play well, while also having a short term back up who could be the starter if he didn’t. His contract is two year’s guaranteed so the overlap is minimal and he is a better player healthy than the majority of players you mentioned. It’s unfortunate he is injured, but it’s not a devastatingly bad contract. It’s at worst annoying and if he returns after the trade deadline and provides high level defense off the bench, great they can also trade him this summer.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by moocow007 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:40 pm

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Lmao whether or not that was intended well done

It was...it was. :D
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,172

Post#36 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:54 pm

Noel is the Dobie Gray of basketball
ImageImageImage
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 62,163

Post#37 » by F N 11 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:55 pm

Status= Vacation
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,843

Post#38 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:58 pm

At least it gives the Knicks a long look at Taj, to help them decide what he's capable of in the NBA

Return to New York Knicks