ImageImageImageImageImage

Mitchell Robinson Free Agency/Replacement

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Re: Mitchell Robinson Free Agency/Replacement 

Post#261 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:16 pm

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:Mitch doesn't fit our time line? He fits it to a T... He just turned 24 the 1st of April. He's the most underrated player on the team and the most important. For all he does on this team it's criminal how we misuse him.

Get this man a permanent starting **** point guard. He's one of the best big men in the league, one of the best defenders, best offensive rebounders, best rebounders, best shot blockers, best lob men and he's improving around the basket.

Yea well unless u watch him play every night u wouldn't know this (not saying you, u have your opinion), he's not gona have high points bc his stats are not gona jump out at you other than his blocks.

1. We don't have a point guard
2. We don't EVER feature him, we barely give him a lob attempt
3. He's the most unselfish player on the team
4. He's one of the only players on the team that box out and let others secure the rebound
5. He's a terrible free throw shooter

U can say these are excuses but most ppl that watch the knicks know the impact Mitch has on every game.

I love Mitch but you may be overselling him. All the things you stated are the same things I say but at the end of the day it's said with the mindset that he'd still have the same role. It's more how do we take this C who on offense doesn't have a role and get him a consistent role. It's how you take Mitch and get him the impact of Tyson Chandler or Jarrett Allen and at the top of the archetype someone like DeAndre Jordan in his prime. And trust me, I believe that's impactful but it's not gonna turn him into the same archetype of DeAndre Ayton or at the top pf that archetype Tim Duncan.

But to the extent of appreciating a super glue guy C where the majority of your offense comes from elsewhere and you appreciate the job he does yes, I agree with you. I think it's currently underapreceated.

People are balking at his raise because you can't feature him but forget that the guys who can get paid way more. Way more, as in 25mil plus. Now if people wanna have conversations about building a team around a go to Center then sure, let's have it but fans think they're gonna spend 15mil and get the next Joel Embiid.

There is possibly one guy that sortve checks a bit of both boxes that idk if it's been discussed. Still at the lower end and would himself have to continue developing but Mo Bamba. Can give you things that Mitch can do defensively and then on offense things that people wish Mitch can do like spread the floor
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,279

Post#262 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:41 pm

HEZI wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:Mitch doesn't fit our time line? He fits it to a T... He just turned 24 the 1st of April. He's the most underrated player on the team and the most important. For all he does on this team it's criminal how we misuse him.

Get this man a permanent starting **** point guard. He's one of the best big men in the league, one of the best defenders, best offensive rebounders, best rebounders, best shot blockers, best lob men and he's improving around the basket.

Stuff like this it’s like where do they draw the line :lol:

Between this and the IQ vs Maxey thread it's no wonder we get clowned so much.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,905

Post#263 » by KnixtapeH20 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:11 pm

DaGawd wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

Yea well unless u watch him play every night u wouldn't know this (not saying you, u have your opinion), he's not gona have high points bc his stats are not gona jump out at you other than his blocks.

1. We don't have a point guard
2. We don't EVER feature him, we barely give him a lob attempt
3. He's the most unselfish player on the team
4. He's one of the only players on the team that box out and let others secure the rebound
5. He's a terrible free throw shooter

U can say these are excuses but most ppl that watch the knicks know the impact Mitch has on every game.

Mitch is good to great in his role.. but one of the best bigs in the league is a huge stretch. Off the top of my head Embiid Jokic KAT Greek AD Bam Valanciunus JJJ Vucevic Ayton Allen Mobley Nurkic are all better than him

Some are obviously yes, some aren't also but why bc they can score on their own? Mitch is a traditional defensive first center, how many of them are better defensively or on the offensive glass?

I'll take what Mitch brings and give him some freedom to open up his **** game. When u have Taj Gibson with the green light in a lost season but u don't let Mitch shoot that's asinine. Idc if hes shooting UFO's
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,211

Post#264 » by Kampuchea » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:34 pm

Mitch is generational. He may be the best to ever do it. Hope we can get him for under $27m a year, you don’t give up a game changer like that at any cost. If we had a PG he’d be getting super maxed no doubt. Embid with better defense? That’s my best comparison
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,636

Post#265 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:19 pm

moocow007 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:lmao at replacing Mitch with Ayton.

Mitchell is our most valuable player. is literally more indispensable than our top 2 players combined.

We should resign Mitch but if he should leave us in free agency, I see our two options are either (1) trading with the Pacers for Turner, or (2) using our No. 1 pick to draft a big.

If Mitch is dead set on leaving they need to try to move his ass to one of those teams in a sign-and-trade and get something back. That's the most important. I've heard Dallas as being one team that could have interest and where the interest may be mutual. If so, then our crack FO needs to try to move him to Dallas (maybe in the S&T for Brunson). Would address needs for both teams and allow both teams to get something of value back for players that they really can't afford to let walk for nothing. I believe the Hornets is another team where mutual interest could exist (Charlotte with Mitch could be scary) and they likely won't have enough cap for Mitch either. They need to get something back for him and then use whatever options they have to trade for (Turner) or draft (move up to get Duren?) his replacement. Hypothetically we could have Brunson (S&T with Mitch) and Jalen Duren (trade up several spots using some of the extra draft assets) heading in for next season. Heck maybe they can move Randle to Dallas separately (for Dinwiddie and Dwight Powell?)

But I don’t want Brunson. I want IQ to start at PG.
Free Palestine
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,125

Post#266 » by moocow007 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:22 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
We should resign Mitch but if he should leave us in free agency, I see our two options are either (1) trading with the Pacers for Turner, or (2) using our No. 1 pick to draft a big.

If Mitch is dead set on leaving they need to try to move his ass to one of those teams in a sign-and-trade and get something back. That's the most important. I've heard Dallas as being one team that could have interest and where the interest may be mutual. If so, then our crack FO needs to try to move him to Dallas (maybe in the S&T for Brunson). Would address needs for both teams and allow both teams to get something of value back for players that they really can't afford to let walk for nothing. I believe the Hornets is another team where mutual interest could exist (Charlotte with Mitch could be scary) and they likely won't have enough cap for Mitch either. They need to get something back for him and then use whatever options they have to trade for (Turner) or draft (move up to get Duren?) his replacement. Hypothetically we could have Brunson (S&T with Mitch) and Jalen Duren (trade up several spots using some of the extra draft assets) heading in for next season. Heck maybe they can move Randle to Dallas separately (for Dinwiddie and Dwight Powell?)

Oh I don't want Brunson either. I'm just projecting what I'm afraid that the Knicks FO will do lol and trying to satisfy some of the other guys. :D
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,636

Post#267 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:31 pm

moocow007 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Oh I don't want Brunson either. I'm just projecting what I'm afraid that the Knicks FO will do lol and trying to satisfy some of the other guys. :D

You know that after the top 5, these mock drafts are all over the place. Talkathon has Duren and Mark Williams being picked after we select TyTy, who I do not want.
Free Palestine
Kampuchea
RealGM

Post#268 » by Kampuchea » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:01 pm

Trade Mitch for a future 1st or a PG. Draft Duren or Williams
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,125

Post#269 » by moocow007 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:27 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:But I don’t want Brunson. I want IQ to start at PG.

You know that after the top 5, these mock drafts are all over the place. Talkathon has Duren and Mark Williams being picked after we select TyTy, who I do not want.

I don't want TyTy either. I don't see him as an upgrade over IQ or even McBride (who I was a big fan of) to be very honest. Definitely don't see why he would start ahead of either IQ or McBride. The Kentucky argument won't even work here since IQ is also a former Kentucky player. I just don't see him as anything close to being a sure bet starting caliber NBA PG. If Duren is available along with TyTy at 11, they should be taking Duren.

Duren has much higher upside and his tools can play right now in the NBA and if the Knicks are going to lose Mitch (whether he just bolts or they sign and trade him) Duren is the type that can step right in and start and projects to be a potential stud at his position. Duren will be one of the youngest players in the draft but physically and athletically he's already NBA ready. Defensively and off the boards he's pretty potent already but he's also shown glimpses of some serious offensive upside IMO.

Also something that should be considered that folks may not realize is that that coaching staff at Memphis is pretty much all former NBA people. Penny Hardaway is the head coach, Larry Brown (yes that Larry Brown) and Rasheed Wallace are both on Penny's staff. That's some seriously potent coaching prowess when it comes to getting a big with star potential to hit on all his gears and learn what it takes. And Duren took to the coaching staff and the system like white on rice. That's to me speaks well of this kids acumen for the game and ability to progress and grow once he hits the NBA as well as what he already likely knows to expect heading into the NBA. Having Rasheed alone as his Kenny Payne says volumes.

Minimally the Knicks would be getting a potential defensive gem of a freakishly athletic and intense C (6'11" 250lb 7'5" wingspan and huge hands)...but IMO there's much more in Duren. I said the same kind of thing about Scottie Barnes last draft. Folks were worried about his offense based on what he showed in college. I said that you can see that he'll be fine from the offensive end come the NBA and he's shown that in his rookie season. Duren didn't play the same position but I also see some real healthy offensive upside there. And again the kid has shown that he can pick things up quick, play team ball and know what to do and where to be even though he was one of the youngest freshmen in college.

As of right now there's probably no shot that Duren will be available but if by some miracle of god he is, the Knicks need to take him. Or if they feel that they will be losing Mitch (and especially if they sign-and-trade him to say Dallas for Brunson), moving up in the draft to land Duren would not be a bad idea either. Trading their own lottery pick and other assets to move into the 6 or 7 range should be something they should consider and is something that I've talked about as far as them needing to consolidate assets. Reality is they already have a whole bunch of young guys they need minutes for, all those draft picks really isn't as valuable to them to hold onto and instead if they can use a bunch of them to move up 4 or 5 spots that is something that would be smart to look into doing.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,303

Post#270 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:00 am

moocow007 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

I don't want TyTy either. I don't see him as an upgrade over IQ or even McBride (who I was a big fan of) to be very honest. Definitely don't see why he would start ahead of either IQ or McBride. The Kentucky argument won't even work here since IQ is also a former Kentucky player. I just don't see him as anything close to being a sure bet starting caliber NBA PG. If Duren is available along with TyTy at 11, they should be taking Duren.

Duren has much higher upside and his tools can play right now in the NBA and if the Knicks are going to lose Mitch (whether he just bolts or they sign and trade him) Duren is the type that can step right in and start and projects to be a potential stud at his position. Duren will be one of the youngest players in the draft but physically and athletically he's already NBA ready. Defensively and off the boards he's pretty potent already but he's also shown glimpses of some serious offensive upside IMO.

Also something that should be considered that folks may not realize is that that coaching staff at Memphis is pretty much all former NBA people. Penny Hardaway is the head coach, Larry Brown (yes that Larry Brown) and Rasheed Wallace are both on Penny's staff. That's some seriously potent coaching prowess when it comes to getting a big with star potential to hit on all his gears and learn what it takes. And Duren took to the coaching staff and the system like white on rice. That's to me speaks well of this kids acumen for the game and ability to progress and grow once he hits the NBA as well as what he already likely knows to expect heading into the NBA. Having Rasheed alone as his Kenny Payne says volumes.

Minimally the Knicks would be getting a potential defensive gem of a freakishly athletic and intense C (6'11" 250lb 7'5" wingspan and huge hands)...but IMO there's much more in Duren. I said the same kind of thing about Scottie Barnes last draft. Folks were worried about his offense based on what he showed in college. I said that you can see that he'll be fine from the offensive end come the NBA and he's shown that in his rookie season. Duren didn't play the same position but I also see some real healthy offensive upside there. And again the kid has shown that he can pick things up quick, play team ball and know what to do and where to be even though he was one of the youngest freshmen in college.

As of right now there's probably no shot that Duren will be available but if by some miracle of god he is, the Knicks need to take him. Or if they feel that they will be losing Mitch (and especially if they sign-and-trade him to say Dallas for Brunson), moving up in the draft to land Duren would not be a bad idea either. Trading their own lottery pick and other assets to move into the 6 or 7 range should be something they should consider and is something that I've talked about as far as them needing to consolidate assets. Reality is they already have a whole bunch of young guys they need minutes for, all those draft picks really isn't as valuable to them to hold onto and instead if they can use a bunch of them to move up 4 or 5 spots that is something that would be smart to look into doing.

80% dunks in the highlights but you can tell his offensive game, is already light years ahead of Mitch.

Also, if we draft him, can we fire Thibs, promote Johnny Bryant and hire Rasheed as an Asst Coach? That would be awesome.
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#271 » by Jimmit79 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:59 pm

Knicks are over the cap so they should match any offer for Mitch and do sign and trade get em 2nd rounders aller loves.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,382

Post#272 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:07 pm

moocow007 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Duren reminds me of Jermaine O’Neal..anyone else see that comparison?
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,307

Post#273 » by gavran » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:27 pm

Kampuchea wrote:Trade Mitch for a future 1st or a PG. Draft Duren or Williams

Then trade them for a future first. Rinse, repeat.

2023 Knicks starting lineup:

PG: Future First
SG: Future First
SF: Future First
PF: Future First
C: Future 2nd
Kampuchea
RealGM

Post#274 » by Kampuchea » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:33 pm

gavran wrote:

I like that plan. Here is our usual plan:
PG: Overpaid player we can only trade by giving a pick - Rose
SG: Overpaid player we can only trade by giving a pick - Sexton/Brunson
SF: Overpaid player we can only trade by giving a pick - RJ
PF: Overpaid player we can only trade by giving a pick - Randle
C: Overpaid player we can only trade by giving a pick - Mitch

If we go with your plan we will really tank and actually draft in the top 5 multiple times? YES YES YES
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,307

Post#275 » by gavran » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:23 pm

Kampuchea wrote:
gavran wrote:

I like that plan. Here is our usual plan:
PG: Overpaid player we can only trade by giving a pick - Rose
SG: Overpaid player we can only trade by giving a pick - Sexton/Brunson
SF: Overpaid player we can only trade by giving a pick - RJ
PF: Overpaid player we can only trade by giving a pick - Randle
C: Overpaid player we can only trade by giving a pick - Mitch

If we go with your plan we will really tank and actually draft in the top 5 multiple times? YES YES YES

Then Rose could trade those players drafted in the top 5 for future firsts. Best best would be the Knicks collect many future firsts, so they can package them for the ultimate future first. The futurest one.
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,336

Post#276 » by rajajackal » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:31 pm

rather than going for a major gamechanger this offseason, we could make the tough choice to let mitch walk and trade randle for turner. don't think you need to give up any 1sts (maybe the DAL 2023) in that trade, and it keeps the rotation open for our young guys to be the focal point for at least one year. turner/toppin/reddish/barrett/IQ. if that goes well, we are in the best case scenario: either we keep the guys and they continue to play well, or we trade fewer of them to get more back because they all played their value up. right now we'd be selling low and gutting our assets for any difference-making player. only players we absolutely must move on from this offseason are randle and at least one of fournier/burks
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#277 » by WargamesX » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:00 pm

Jimmit79 wrote:Knicks are over the cap so they should match any offer for Mitch and do sign and trade get em 2nd rounders aller loves.

He is a UFA, Mitch can’t be matched like a RFA. If he leaves and he wants a 5th year from the team he goes too. Then that requires the Knicks to do a S&T.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#278 » by Jimmit79 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:51 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Jimmit79 wrote:Knicks are over the cap so they should match any offer for Mitch and do sign and trade get em 2nd rounders aller loves.

He is a UFA, Mitch can’t be matched like a RFA. If he leaves and he wants a 5th year from the team he goes too. Then that requires the Knicks to do a S&T.
Oh well what a waste of asset.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,097

Post#279 » by sol537 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:39 pm

If we lose Mitch, just start Sims and bring Noel off the bench unless you can find a taker for Noel and a cheaper Noel replacement. Those two can hold the spot down decently enough.

The key, as always, is PG play.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,862

Post#280 » by 8516knicks » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:03 pm

For once I'd like to see us play 5 on 5 when on offense, if only for 20mpg. :x :cry:

Return to New York Knicks